Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast at your desk

• 04-02-2019 10:24am
    Site Banned Posts: 21

A lot of people eat breakfast at their desk in work in the mornings, is this something you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Yes, why?
    I am currently sitting at my desk eating a bowl of weetabix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup, granola and yogurt, a few bits of fruit later on and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What does Kate think?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't eat breakfast but in the times I attempted it I ate it in the car as people are too passremarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

For breakfast I'll go to the canteen for 15 minutes and read the paper, for lunch I eat it at my desk. Far too noisy in the canteen at that time, it can be like like a turkey farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No eating at desks in work, proper order too.
    We had a few grazers... had to bring in the policy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have some dignity, don't eat at your place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Tabnabs wrote: »

You spend more time at your place of work during the week than at home. Why wouldn't you eat there?

Nothing wrong with eating at your desk at work. You're expected to sit there for eight or nine hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nothing wrong with it, I like seeing people do it actually, makes work feel a bit more homely and comfortable. But I just find it more comfortable eating in my own home before I leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I eat at my desk some mornings but its more of a timing thing for me.

I was finding that if I ate when I got up (between 7.30-8am ish) that I would get hungry earlier, end up going for lunch maybe at 12.30ish, and then find it hard to last the afternook wtihout the desire to snack.

By eating between 9- 9.30, this just pushes everything else out a bit and then I don't have the same afternoon slump.

I never eat anything antisocial (ie, anything with a strong smell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I think there's something wrong with people that do this. I see people do it in our office and it really annoys me. We've a massive canteen area, eat there ffs! And they have lunch there too. And sometimes it stinks. Really grinds my gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Depends on your place of work.
    Undertakers.... no.

But in a modern office with a casual culture, why not.

Although I do remember a Dilbert cartoon saying that eating at your desk was like stealing from the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I generally would limit my eating at the desk to simple foods like a banana or a scone , wouldn't be eating bowls of cereal or anything .

I have no problem with it once it's not smelly food but I hate when they leave a dirty bowl or plate at their desk for hours , that's just manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

evil_seed wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with people that do this. I see people do it in our office and it really annoys me. We've a massive canteen area, eat there ffs! And they have lunch there too. And sometimes it stinks. Really grinds my gears

If I'm eating hot food for lunch I'll go to the canteen, but if it's cold I'll just eat it at my desk.

Anyone who micro-waves fish in an office deserves to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

If it stinks then don't bring it in and have some respect for other people. I sit right beside the door of the canteen and I have gone home about 10 times in the 4 years working here because someone has brought in Seafood Chowder and stank the place out. Everyone else sits there and puts up with it. F**k that, I am not sitting there with the place smelling like a prostitutes fanny.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I work in a posh restaurant though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bowl of Weetabix/porridge at my desk.

I'm usually there an hour and a half earlier than anyone else.

evil_seed wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with people that do this.

Yeah, they're hungry.

Leaving the house 15 mins early can avoid more traffic/commuting issues.
    So it's worth getting in earlier.

And people typically can eat and work at the same time, especially early morning catching up on e-mails, updates before they are constantly interrupted later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I always eat at my desk, I'm eating my "breakfast" for want of a better word right now. I'm having some mixed nuts and a very juicy pear. Yum yum:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I always eat at my desk, I'm eating my "breakfast" for want of a better word right now. I'm having some mixed nuts and a very juicy pear. Yum yum:D

I'm sure your colleague with the nut allergy is enjoying every slurp of that pear as you dine al desko. You animal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

What annoys me is when people leave their half eaten bowl of weetabix in the sink. By 10am the kitchen sink and countertop is full of dirty bowls, it's disgusting. The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm sure your colleague with the nut allergy is enjoying every slurp of that pear as you dine al desko. You animal.

He is a little bit wheezy, now you mention it. I think i'll buy him a snickers to cheer him up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'll eat something not noisy or smelly at my desk. Like a sandwich or something.

It wrecks my head hearing people noisily scraping their cereal bowl or obnoxiously crunching on an apple.

Greengrant wrote: »
    The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

:rolleyes:

We had a toxic little short ass male cleaner who used to take plates off peoples desks @ 10am and throw the contents (crumbs) on the floor in a passive aggressive tantrum. He had received more complaints to HR than anyone else in the history of the company from a diverse range of people.

If they don't want the job, fire the cleaners and hire some hard working Polish to do it.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

We had a toxic little short ass male cleaner who used to take plates off peoples desks @ 10am and throw the contents (crumbs) on the floor in a passive aggressive tantrum. He had received more complaints to HR than anyone else in the history of the company from a diverse range of people.

If they don't want the job, fire the cleaners and hire some hard working Polish to do it.

The cleaners could well be polish, they're foreign usually. They haven't complained as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to eat breakfast at my desk as I just didn't have time in the morning. Since I moved house I do have it at home, as being so much closer to work means I can have a leisurely enough morning- and my mental health is better for it.

I don't eat at my desk in my current job, but have done in previous ones. It's just not the done thing here.

Never bothered anyone in my last job- except for the arsehole who microwaved fish and stank the place out (the air circulation system meant that the place still smelled of fish 2 days later).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

It wrecks my head hearing people noisily scraping their cereal bowl or obnoxiously crunching on an apple.

Nothing worse than a noisy masticator.

eating a can of tuna and an apple at me desk whilst typing now, I think many do this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I eat kippers and fermented herring at my desk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's all part of the 'career dream' that big companies sell to gullible people.

Please don't gobble food at your desk. You owe yourself that much. And please get regular breaks, walks and stretches. It is inevitable that your laptop use will lead to physical problems down the line (eyes, neck, head, hips etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Love eating at my desk, and watching some Netflix at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Off the point slightly. Arrive early into work early each day, chow down in the canteen. Every morning there’s an auld lad slurping his breakfast, big gummy thicko. Bowl up to the mouth, can't get enough of the milk. Last Friday was mauling meat he had heated up. Dirty fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Dining ‘al desko’ is one of the signs of the downfall of civilisation. It’s safe to say I work in a job that is more challenging than what most of you do (civil service or IT support). Yet I never eat at my desk. So either get up earlier, work smarter, plan your day better, or stay later. But don’t be stuffing your gob with sausage rolls at your desk while surfing the internet.

This sort of stuff is basic decorum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Off the point slightly. Arrive early into work early each day, chow down in the canteen. Every morning there’s an auld lad slurping his breakfast, big gummy thicko. Bowl up to the mouth, can't get enough of the milk. Last Friday was mauling meat he had heated up. Dirty fecker.

He's probably wondering who the pervy fella who keeps staring at him is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Currently eating some warmed kippers, a couple of hard boiled eggs and some anchovy soup that I brought from home and heated the kippers and soup in the microwave.

I want everyone to know I'm on a health kick so I've set my desk fans to blow the smell around the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

rusty cole wrote: »
    eating a can of tuna and an apple at me desk whilst typing now, I think many do this kind of thing.

Tuna? Only the very smelliest of fish... bet your neighbour loves you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Tuna? Only the very smelliest of fish... bet your neighbour loves you.
    I like warmed tuna with melted cheese. Only in the work microwaves of course.

Problem is the odor remains for most of the day

Dining ‘al desko’ is one of the signs of the downfall of civilisation. It’s safe to say I work in a job that is more challenging than what most of you do (civil service or IT support). Yet I never eat at my desk. So either get up earlier, work smarter, plan your day better, or stay later. But don’t be stuffing your gob with sausage rolls at your desk while surfing the internet.

:D ah welcome back!

How's the job hunting going ?

Has your Mam kicked you out of the house yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

TomSweeney wrote: »
    :D ah welcome back!

How's the job hunting going ?

Has your Mam kicked you out of the house yet ?

Sorry, who are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those people on this site who follow me around from thread to thread like a tramp looking for change. That’s very off putting for a casual poster like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Sometimes dining 'al desko' is the only time you get a bit of peace at lunchtime when you can't face going to the canteen and it's raining out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No, as I eat my breakfast at home.

Sorry, who are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those people on this site who follow me around from thread to thread like a tramp looking for change. That’s very off putting for a casual poster like myself.
    Haha!
    I actually really like your posts - for comedy reading.
    I read them in Christian Bale's voice from American Psycho - makes them even funnier.

As for the veracity of your posts, sorry you're not fooling anyone - maybe yourself.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Haha!
    I actually really like your posts - for comedy reading.
    I read them in Christian Bale's voice from American Psycho - makes them even funnier.

As for the veracity of your posts, sorry you're not fooling anyone - maybe yourself.

Always one who can't just let Aongus be Aongus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We have free fruit in work. Every morning I have a banana for breakfast and then go for an early lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Greengrant wrote: »
    What annoys me is when people leave their half eaten bowl of weetabix in the sink. By 10am the kitchen sink and countertop is full of dirty bowls, it's disgusting. The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

We had this, people leaving dirty dishes for the cleaner. A few complaints were made and everyone was informed the cleaner would not be doing people's dishes. Worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Think it should be banned in an agile hotdesking workspace. Maybe have a few benches and tables scattered around the place people can meander over to instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

3 eggs scrambled every morning and hoovered up at my desk.
    Nice big open area and I'm in early so no issues.

Most of us eat at our desk. I'll also go for an earlier lunch to avoid the canteen being mental and noisy. I like a bit of peace and to read for lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

rusty cole wrote: »

Tbh I'd say people are repulsed at the stink of the tuna. It's one thing that makes me gag.

This post reminds me of a Simpsons scene where Grandpa Simpson starts talking under a tree to a load of kids and one says "Listen up, an old person is talking" and they all gather around to listen to his story intently. Which happens exactly never.

Ireland has a thriving high-tech industry where creative people work in a casual environment, casual dress, flexible working hours, working from home etc. So doesn't hurt to let people save 10 mins a day by eating at their desk, people tend to be money rich and time poor these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Ireland has a thriving high-tech industry where creative people work in a casual environment, casual dress, flexible working hours, working from home etc. So doesn't hurt to let people save 10 mins a day by eating at their desk, people tend to be money rich and time poor these days.

This thinking is so arseways. Give it time, the career bubble will burst...

• Advertisement
Advertisement