Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Run Dublin - Sunday 28th April at 9pm.

Options
  • 04-02-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Anyone doing this?

Thought it might be something different. I got an email about it today, but nothing on the email or website says anything about the distance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a 10k - used to be the Virgin Night Run, and the Samsung Night Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Would this be a worthwhile event, or is it just a money making scheme?

colin32 wrote: »
    Would this be a worthwhile event, or is it just a money making scheme?

?
    How do you distinguish between the two?

They are clear about the charity element this year
    This year we are delighted to announce that the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust will be our Official Charity Partner, with €5 from each entry going straight to the trust.

but it is also a for-profit event, so it is a money-making scheme.
    (The people making money are Athletics Ireland, the event planning company, and the clubs who provide stewards)

Some people like the event - running through the city centre, usually a nice top.
    Some people don't like it - too crowded, too twisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I hadn't clicked on the official page, just after people's opinions on here who'd done it before.

Obviously I offended you by asking for people's advice 🙄

Obviously I offended you by asking for people's advice ��

The options were just a little extreme. Here are threads from previous years

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94586797

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88335302

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99806737

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I hadn't clicked on the official page, just after people's opinions on here who'd done it before.

Obviously I offended you by asking for people's advice 🙄

Don’t see how you drew that conclusion. The response seems pretty rational to me. I’d have just said ‘Don’t do it, it’s a ****e race’, which might have been a little unfair as many people seem to like it. I’ve never run it, but people I know who have - including a good few on here - consider it overpriced and badly managed. It would be great to have a good City Centre race longer than 5k but this one doesn’t seem to be it, based on a history of overcrowding, bad course design, and an over-promised relationship to ‘charity’. If they’re handing over a fiver per entry to a good cause, as mentioned above, that sounds positive (although it would be even better for the good cause not to have to rely on road races for funding). Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Will probably do this through my job - based on reviews though I'd be reluctant to sign up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

First time doing a running event other than Parkrun but really enjoyed it. Got down there far too early at about 7:45pm to get my bag checked in and got some stretching/activation done. Warmup started at about 8:40/8:50 and ran right up until before the off. Sean Cox's son said some brief words and the waved start begun.

It was as others have mentioned of previous outings for the run, very busy. Seemed to be a lot of people choose the wrong starting pen (not complaining, just an observation) as there was quite a few that passed me and that I passed too very early in to the run. Plenty of water available at the halfway point and at the end too, with bananas and a cereal bar (can't recall the brand) being handed out at the end too. Once you got your medal there were people handing out non alcoholic Heineken or Monster Hydro. Medal was nice and thought the top was good too (new to running so more experienced runners might have more of an opinion on it).

Hadn't done more than 5Km in about 10 weeks so was happy to get around in a smidge under 51:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

First time to do it too. Did the Mark Pollock Run in the Dark in the autumn. Not sure how this one compares re: participant numbers but I thought the start was very very slow and there were a hell of a lot of slower people in the front waves and it was quite narrow so it was very hard to get past them. I think it would be good if you had to put in a verified time in order to get into a certain wave. Other than that it was very well marshaled, there was great atmosphere and water stop at 5k and plenty of water, bananas etc at the end. Didn't get a beer :( and the bar was brand name KIND which is a new one to me but very nice. Regarding the route, similar to the Run in the Dark, hate having to run halfway up a road around a little cone and back down again but I think alternative routes would bring us into residential parts of East Wall which would involve agreement with residents etc etc. Despite the slow start it's a nice fast run. I was happy that some of the fee was going to Sean Cox fund. Would I do it again, probably not.

Advertisement