Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 04-02-2019 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

So just looking for some advice/sanity check on upgrades I'm considering for my current build.

At this stage it is definitely showing its age and the memory is starting to fail (tested and can confirm) with random blue screens. I also feel that the 1060 is really being held back by the FX processor. Mainly used for gaming/streaming/HTPC @ 1080p

Here's the upgrades I'm currently considering. Some of it may be overkill but I'm also planning for a future monitor and GPU upgrade (Dell S2716DG and RTX 2070 respectively).

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd switch the motherboard to an MSI model (Google for B450/X470 VRM tier list, and Buildziod's video).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Had a good look there and checked RAM compatibility as well so swapped in an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and Corsair Vengeance LPX.

Not sure if the RAM compatibility was an issue or not but went with the list provided on the MSI website.

Link to new list

Cheers for the advice K.O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No major issues otherwise, good stepup, and even if your RAM was good you are correct, the FX is a major bottleneck so the first logical upgrade is a new board/cpu/ram over a GPU.

Yeah, I decided it was time to do something about it. The blue screens are getting more frequent now, maybe 3-5 a week, so almost daily and it's driving me mad. Plus I've noticed the struggle in certain games like KSP for example.

Would there be any major reason to step up to a 2600x or is it much of a muchness after overclocking?

Finally bit the bullet on the initial upgrade, all bought from amazon.de:

Ryzen 2600 - €156.79
    Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4 - €91.90
    Asus ROG Strix B450-F Mobo - €129
    Noctua AM4 Mounting Kit - €6.99
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g - €9.99
    Total incl delivery - €415.95

Final build

May consider updating the PSU shortly but I'm happy enough with how it looks at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement