Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain why clubs/socities are not allowed to get a debit card?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

HI, i on the committee of a church . We have tried Ulster and AIB and they both say that as a charity we are not a business (fair enough!) and as such we are categorised a club or society. Both of these are not allowed to get a debit card. 

Quite apart from teh headaches this causes us with many purchases, i have also a few friends who work with charities and they do have a credit/debit card. 

What's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there Ismhunter,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Have you been in touch about opening a bank account with us?

You can make an appointment with your nearest Bank of Ireland branch here.

They can chat through the options available and depending on how the committee has been set up, it may be possible to have a Visa Debit card for the account.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ismhunter

Lorna

I will go in and try. 

That said, I tried Ulster bank (our current bank) and AIB  tody , they both quoted the same line (charities are a club or societiy and as such can't have a debit card) so what makes you think ye will say any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Ismhunter

The request and decision for a Visa Debit card is reviewed within the application for the new account although generally a Visa Debit Card is available with a club, society or charity account.

Hope this helps,

Many thanks
    Alison

Advertisement