Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing brake pads and brake discs. Costs / good value garage Dublin?

• 04-02-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. In the past couple of weeks there has been a strange rumbling noise coming from my car when breaking. Today I decided to remove my front right and back right wheel to have a closer inspection. The pads look like they are worn all the way down so defiantly need to replace them. Same for the discs.

I drive a 2010 Hyundai i30.

I changed the rear pads on a Nissan Primera 2004 before but found it to be quite time consuming. Also run the risk of damaging my break fluid lines.

Question is how much should it cost for a garage to replace pads, discs and labor?

Quotes so far are averaging around €600

Can I get some recommendations for good value garages around the Dublin 8 area. Further out is fine as well. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Mid range discs are circa 60 to 80 plus pads say 80 for mid range front and rear ( for both)leaves you at roughly 400 odd depending, then labour and vat.

600 not crazy if all corners are new if location is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Price the discs and pads yourself in your local factors or €bay to give you an idea what you're being charged for labour. Would think a mechanic would get them done in an hour although the going rate might be an hour for each end. I got Ate discs and pads all round for an Audi A8 for €300.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/EBC-FRONT-REAR-DISCS-AND-PADS-FOR-HYUNDAI-I-30-1-4-2007-12/121805656079?hash=item1c5c2ed00f:g:tDkAAOSwDrNZP1t5:rk:46:pf:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Charged 400 for front pads and disks on a 2010 mondeo a few years ago.
    Got the same job done + a new caliper in a different garage for 380 a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

600EUR is way too high price. The good front discs cost about 30EUR each. 4 pads about the same price. Te hardware 5EUR. If you like to go the cheapest option then disc 20EUR and pads 13EUR. Labor do not pay over 1 hour, it is around 40EUR + tax (total about 50EUR). So total 145EUR + 5EUR tip = 150EUR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

w211 wrote: »
    600EUR is way too high price. The good front discs cost about 30EUR each. 4 pads about the same price. Te hardware 5EUR. If you like to go the cheapest option then disc 20EUR and pads 13EUR. Labor do not pay over 1 hour, it is around 40EUR + tax (total about 50EUR). So total 145EUR + 5EUR tip = 150EUR.

Ah, stop.

• Advertisement

Ah, stop.

Why? I can to do all day long by that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

If you can price them at that, then the place you are buying them from has probably a 20/30 % margin, which makes them VERY cheap....:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, how much for 2 rear discs, set of pads and a rear (electric) caliper for a 2009 Passat ?

In your driveway, maybe, with the lowest quality parts you can find.

Any serious business with any level of legitimate overheads won't be retailing brake pads for €13 or labour for €40 per hour including VAT, or if they do they wont be in business for long.

I think it's unrealistic to suggest to the OP that they may find prices in line with that as this will make finding a repairer harder for them.

I agree, €600 is mildly expensive, but not awful, particularly when pricing in Dublin city. I'd expect to may €200-250 per axle maybe, for good quality parts fitted by a reputable workshop.

swarlb wrote: »
    If you can price them at that, then the place you are buying them from has probably a 20/30 % margin, which makes them VERY cheap....:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, how much for 2 rear discs, set of pads and a rear (electric) caliper for a 2009 Passat ?

Ok first things first, I do not advertising here. I made the calculation what is the reasonable price. The brands what I used for calculations was Delphi, Febi, Metzger, brembo, TRW and others. All was very similar price. Yes the final price depends by your car VIN code. Some models have a very specific parts, especially the early production versions.

EDIT: Passat 2009, I need the VIN number to find the right parts. Estimated price rear disc set TRW/Mapco (2pcs) 55EUR, pads set TRW/Mapco (4pcs) 25EUR, hardware 5EUR and TRW brake calipers set (2pcs, electric) 395EUR. What happens with electric calipers? Why you need the new one? There is available the repair kits too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Pads and discs (genuine) for your car are €500 plus VAT, make of that what you will

• Advertisement

Pads and discs (genuine) for your car are €500 plus VAT, make of that what you will

That genuine Hyundai parts are off the wall. I worked in a Hyundai dealer (2x actually) and looking back it's hard to imagine how we ever sold anything.

Just the other day, we had a Sportage in for used car prep and it needed front pads and discs, we would always put genuine parts on the non franchise stuff to be safe and front pads and discs from Kia were just under €600+vat for the parts at trade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Learn how to do them yourself, It is really easy on most cars.

That genuine Hyundai parts are off the wall. I worked in a Hyundai dealer (2x actually) and looking back it's hard to imagine how we ever sold anything.

Just the other day, we had a Sportage in for used car prep and it needed front pads and discs, we would always put genuine parts on the non franchise stuff to be safe and front pads and discs from Kia were just under €600+vat for the parts at trade!

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. All depends on your area too IMO, my last garage (also Hyundai) we sold mainly spurious because it's more 'middle class'. This one, however, is 'upper class' and people mainly go genuine.

Non-franchise get spurious and that's that :pac:

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. All depends on your area too IMO, my last garage (also Hyundai) we sold mainly spurious because it's more 'middle class'. This one, however, is 'upper class' and people mainly go genuine.

Non-franchise get spurious and that's that :pac:

There is no any reason to sell/buy/use the fake ones. Or what you means about that? The compatible brands are not fake ones. The fake ones cost really cheap price, 7EUR disc and 5EUR pads.I do not suggest these even to enemies. The car brakes are too important. Most of the cars using the compatible brake systems because these qualify for OEM specification. Yes every manufacturer can use OEM logo on package if they follow the specs. The genuine are for freaks, who can pay 1k for simple brake job, it is about 5-6 times higher than average cost!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

newmember? wrote: »
    Price the discs and pads yourself in your local factors or €bay to give you an idea what you're being charged for labour. Would think a mechanic would get them done in an hour although the going rate might be an hour for each end. I got Ate discs and pads all round for an Audi A8 for €300.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/EBC-FRONT-REAR-DISCS-AND-PADS-FOR-HYUNDAI-I-30-1-4-2007-12/121805656079?hash=item1c5c2ed00f:g:tDkAAOSwDrNZP1t5:rk:46:pf:0

have you had any problems with your discs warping? My 5 Series is an Automatic, and I'm trying to convince myself that they haven't warped, due to the problems I'm having at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Learn how to do them yourself, It is really easy on most cars.

I suppose it is if your handy and happen to have a ramp in your driveway. Would it not prove difficult otherwise?

Warping can happens if you drive as maniac. These are possible to restore if there is left enough thickness but it cost way too much money compared by brand new one. Reasonable to do only if your discs cost hundreds of euros.

chicorytip wrote: »
    I suppose it is if your handy and happen to have a ramp in your driveway. Would it not prove difficult otherwise?

It does not need any ramp. You need to lift only so much to get the wheel off. The standard car jack can works ok, only it is not very safe without axle stand. Without axle stands, just keep it on memory the car can fall down if you using too much power. All depends how well was done the previous job. If the previous mechanic did not used the loctite/anti-seize, then you have a load of trouble. Possible to do by hand tools, only takes a time.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    have you had any problems with your discs warping? My 5 Series is an Automatic, and I'm trying to convince myself that they haven't warped, due to the problems I'm having at the moment.

No, no problem with the discs warping. What problems have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tmcdlk

Did you have your wheels refurbished or have non factory wheels?
    Common problem with the F10 is when the wheels are refurbished the inner centre part that contacts the hub flange has been painted. This causes a reduction in the heat transfer from the brake disc to the wheel and the brake disc overheats. The solution is to remove all paint in this area down to a clean bare aluminium to allow heat transfer.

• Advertisement

There is no any reason to sell/buy/use the fake ones. Or what you means about that? The compatible brands are not fake ones. The fake ones cost really cheap price, 7EUR disc and 5EUR pads.I do not suggest these even to enemies. The car brakes are too important. Most of the cars using the compatible brake systems because these qualify for OEM specification. Yes every manufacturer can use OEM logo on package if they follow the specs. The genuine are for freaks, who can pay 1k for simple brake job, it is about 5-6 times higher than average cost!!!

Of course there is, profit margins ;)

Also, I mentioned nothing about fake parts so take that stick out of your hole :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

5 series is very brake sensitive, never go for the cheapest. Best to leave them to BMW with OE parts, €650 for front disk and pads with BMW First is not bad.

New front pads and disks, Pagid and Brembo with sensor, Skoda Superb 3.

Parts €100, fitting €80 at an Indy.

No, no problem with the discs warping. What problems have you got?

Car shakes and steering wheel when barely applying brakes, shakes like crazy if applied harder.

Tracking is fine, wheel doesn't shake when driving. Doesn't pull to left or right either.

tmcdlk wrote: »
    Did you have your wheels refurbished or have non factory wheels?
    Common problem with the F10 is when the wheels are refurbished the inner centre part that contacts the hub flange has been painted. This causes a reduction in the heat transfer from the brake disc to the wheel and the brake disc overheats. The solution is to remove all paint in this area down to a clean bare aluminium to allow heat transfer.

Standard 18" OEM wheels, no refurb done on them since I have the car.

5 series is very brake sensitive, never go for the cheapest. Best to leave them to BMW with OE parts, €650 for front disk and pads with BMW first is not pad.

I used Valeo discs and Pagid pads. Not cheapo brands by any means.

I used Valeo discs and Pagid pads. Not cheapo brands by any means.

If discs and pads are OK and wheels are balanced, next stop would be control arms. You probably know at this stage that you are not alone with this issue on the F10/E60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Atlas in Kimmage said the total cost should be €280 but they need to take it in to have a look first. This will cost €70 but that will come off the job if I go ahead with it. Too risky as they could come back and say the job and parts will be €600 ... Stupid they cant or wont get an accurate quote with reg number provided.

€70 just to look at your disk and pads? It's a 20 second job. Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

DarraghR wrote: »
    Atlas in Kimmage said the total cost should be €280 but they need to take it in to have a look first. This will cost €70 but that will come off the job if I go ahead with it. Too risky as they could come back and say the job and parts will be €600 ... Stupid they cant or wont get an accurate quote with reg number provided.

I can make for you the solid estimated price, only need to know the vin code

DarraghR wrote: »

This is usually fairly standard as they often don't want to take the advice of a lay person as to what the car needs. It's more or less saying, book it in and we''ll have a look, we'd often do this and it weeds out the time headaches and if the quote blows up beyond what anyone imagined we'd never hold a gun to anyone's head for the inspection fee, neither us nor the customer need that hassle. For something like discs and pads, I cant see it deviating much +/- €50.

I'd probably still give them a should if they are convenient for you.

€70 just to look at your disk and pads? It's a 20 second job. Jesus wept.

:pac: They told me roughly €280 on the phone so I drove up and was told €70 to have a look. They could have mentioned that on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I found these guys good and cheap.

https://walkinstownclutch.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

DarraghR wrote:

We would check for free.

Pads and discs for one axle on most normal cars through us between 220-270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

fatbhoy wrote: »

As a very happy customer of this business,I can vouch for it.

• Advertisement

fatbhoy wrote: »

They put a clutch in a passat for me about 10 years ago with no problems, although a clutch and gearbox centre wouldn't be the first place I'd be thinking of to get pads and discs fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

They put a clutch in a passat for me about 10 years ago with no problems, although a clutch and gearbox centre wouldn't be the first place I'd be thinking of to get pads and discs fitted.
    Despite the name,they do everything.

So update on pricing. I rang a place that has done free error scans for me previously which is uncommon. They have quoted me €320 for everything. 4.9/5 google review rating with 10 reviews

walkinstownclutch.ie quoted me €335 and said they do legit parts. 4.3/5 google review rating with 29 reviews.

Going to go with Walkinstown Clutch as they have a much larger garage and can book me in sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the info and help

Ok I to do my math

Front pads 4x 17eur
    Front disc 2x 55eur
    Front hardware 5eur
    Rear pads 4x 15eur
    Rear disc 2x 35eur
    Rear hardware 5eur

132eur for parts. I could ask 68eur labor, but I can not because otherwise it be advertising.
    Not the cheapest parts, these could cost easily half of that money.

w211 wrote:
    132eur for parts. I could ask 68eur labor, but I can not because otherwise it be advertising. Not the cheapest parts, these could cost easily half of that money.

You would be happy making 68e on that job? You are what is wrong with this trade. Ridiculously low prices, running down the trade. Then you hop off back home in a few years and that's that. The trade in this country is fecked but you're back home so you don't care!
    Are you even a qualified mechanic??

The sooner this trade is regulated like plumbing and electrics the better.

• Advertisement

khaldrogo wrote: »
    You would be happy making 68e on that job? You are what is wrong with this trade. Ridiculously low prices, running down the trade. Then you hop off back home in a few years and that's that. The trade in this country is fecked but you're back home so you don't care!
    Are you even a qualified mechanic??

The sooner this trade is regulated like plumbing and electrics the better.

I agree to a degree. The onslaught of 'online' shopping for parts does not help either, as the variety of different priced parts plays a part in customer choice. €15 brake pads or €25 brake pads or €45 brake pads, which are best, which will last in the long run, and which will stop in an emergency.
    'Everyone' is now an expert, and the viewpoint of 'professionals' is questioned at every turn. Take this thread for example, over 1300 views and over 40 replies to a really simple request !
    Do you really want a situation where a mechanic needs to 'sign off' a job because of regulation, and the extra costs that may incur. Or a situation where a motor factors will only sell a brake master cylinder to a 'licenced' customer. The day of DIY may soon be dead.

Yes please

This is not the rocket science. Only hard part is to deal by previous mechanic mess, who forget to add bit anti-seize grease between rotor and disc. I do not have any mechanic certification but I have 36 years experience. The experience have a more value than any paper. Even if I could have a company, I could not charge way higher price. I think it will be the same range, because the work speed be more efficient. By pneumatic tools and car lift it possible to do much faster. By hand tools and car jack it takes almost 2 times longer than by proper tools and environment. Add the previous mechanic mess and it can easily take 3x times longer. May be I will open the garage on near future but first I need to make the name and earn the reputation. I know the moderator will erase that part, because it sounds like advertisement. I am sick to see how much the local garages charge the money by such a simple job. Over 300eur is too much, 500eur is way too much or 600eur, it should be then 100% ceramic to be worth by that value.

There'll always be DIY, same as you may still wire a plug or fix a leaky tap at home yourself.

What plenty would like to see stopped is carry on like the above. Lads putting themselves forward as a "business" doing things from their back garden. Charging €70 cash to fit pads and discs all round when they have no overheads, operating costs, VAT etc to pay and then having the audacity to act like any real business charging more than €70 are criminals. What's worse is people believe them too.

Nobody wants to be fleeced and nobody has to take the most expensive option in the hope that it is the best, but these "Fred in the shed" outfits aren't doing anything for the country or the consumer.

What comeback would you have on the €68 job if there is an issue down the line? SFA, that's what. There'll be a front gate warranty on the work and that's it.

Toyotafanboi, sorry If I pis*ed you off.

The companies too does not offer the better warranty than off the site, goodbye.

w211 wrote:
    The companies too does not offer the better warranty than off the site, goodbye.

If we fit brakes, no matter what make, we give 1 years warranty from the company not the manufacturer. That's the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

This is not the rocket science. Only hard part is to deal by previous mechanic mess, who forget to add bit anti-seize grease between rotor and disc. I do not have any mechanic certification but I have 36 years experience. The experience have a more value than any paper. Even if I could have a company, I could not charge way higher price. I think it will be the same range, because the work speed be more efficient. By pneumatic tools and car lift it possible to do much faster. By hand tools and car jack it takes almost 2 times longer than by proper tools and environment. Add the previous mechanic mess and it can easily take 3x times longer. May be I will open the garage on near future but first I need to make the name and earn the reputation. I know the moderator will erase that part, because it sounds like advertisement. I am sick to see how much the local garages charge the money by such a simple job. Over 300eur is too much, 500eur is way too much or 600eur, it should be then 100% ceramic to be worth by that value.

Never ever put anti seize between disc and hub or disc and wheel. Its the friction from the clamping of the wheel nuts that holds everything together not the wheel nuts themselves, put anti seize in there and you drastically reduce the friction and therefore the strength of the attachment

rex-x wrote:
    Never ever put anti seize between disc and hub or disc and wheel. Its the friction from the clamping of the wheel nuts that holds everything together not the wheel nuts themselves, put anti seize in there and you drastically reduce the friction and therefore the strength of the attachment

Not to mention the possibility of some grit/dirt being in the grease and causing a vibration when braking.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Yes please

Good luck with that...

A very long time ago when I was starting out I didn't give discount to a particular customer. He reported me to my boss for not doing so. In fairness to my employer, he backed me up, by indicating that there was no 'official written order' to indicate that the customer was in the trade. He then pointed to a sign on the was which said "Discount only to members of the trade, with an official written order'

Hopefully this will return, the amount of times I've been in a factors or even a distributor, only to see a customer walk in off the street and pay more or less the same price as I had.

Hopefully too, will the days of a customer turning up with a box of parts, asking... 'How much to fit these ?'

Toyotafanboi, sorry If I pis*ed you off.

Don't take it personally. You have your opinion and I have mine. Maybe neither of us are right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement