Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

zg3409 wrote: »
    I know there probably should be a north of Ireland thread as their ESB ecars (ecarni) seem to be installing nothing and fixing very little with dozens of chargers out for months/years. Many 50kW chargers no longer deliver 50kW, often half. See this report:

https://nievo.org/the-state-of-the-network-esb-meeting-q1-2021/

No need for a thread for ni, nothings happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    The problem with a two state network, that's state funded, is that when one of the two jurisdictions stops funding you really start to see the difference. As much as people like to complain about eCars in the south, we'd see similar without the money from Climate Action Fund.

Is it down to NI gov not funding it, or because they haven't passed the required laws to allow ESB to implement paid charging

In any case, I think you're correct in that ESB doesn't want to maintain the network if it isn't generating revenue and isn't being funded

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is it down to NI gov not funding it, or because they haven't passed the required laws to allow ESB to implement paid charging

Some from A, some from B. ESB are only matching funding on the current slow rollout down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

graememk wrote: »
    No need for a thread for ni, nothings happening!

I was going to suggest they could set up a thread for themselves on boards.co.uk but it looks like it a site for windsurfing lol rofl.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Irishjg wrote: »
    I was going to suggest they could set up a thread for themselves on boards.co.uk but it looks like it a site for windsurfing lol rofl.

We won't have any of that partitionism going on here, posters are welcome from anywhere in the 32, or the rest of the world. Though I do ask people clarify sometimes when they are talking about things outside of Ireland, the ID.4 thread was all abuzz about someone spotting an ID.4 in the wild which turned out be a poster from The Hague in The Netherlands.

• Advertisement

We won't have any of that partitionism going on here, posters are welcome from anywhere in the 32, or the rest of the world. Though I do ask people clarify sometimes when they are talking about things outside of Ireland, the ID.4 thread was all abuzz about someone spotting an ID.4 in the wild which turned out be a poster from The Hague in The Netherlands.

I mistook that to mean we had annexed the Netherlands as part of Ireland now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Swords main street outside Eddie rockets, charger is taken away, new cement base and bollards already in, looks like new AC or DC charger on the way. Someone from Facebook put a photo on plugshare of the work in progress.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Swords main street outside Eddie rockets, charger is taken away, new cement base and bollards already in, looks like new AC or DC charger on the way. Someone from Facebook put a photo on plugshare of the work in progress.

Eddie rockets will be happy with a DC charger :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Seems very eCars that they’d install a new AC22 last year, only to replace it a few months later.....

Seems very eCars that they’d install a new AC22 last year, only to replace it a few months later.....

They’ve no shortage of money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup, it's a evolve smart t unit. Ecars go to AC unit these days. Unit wasn't faulting as far as I can see. Could be a DC unit going in. No doubt that AC unit will get repurposed.

That Zoe driver on plugshare will be sickened if they limit the DC unit to 6kW AC (though last I heard they're all 22kW AC now with newer software)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

No doubt that AC unit will get repurposed.

Tesco Ennis?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease............Anna..........eCars..........anyone?

:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Who decides on locations for chargers, local authorities or the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gael23 wrote: »

Probably some (car-less, city-living, environ-mentalist, cycling), 22 year old, trainee administrator in eCars (with a dart board) :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Kramer wrote:
    Probably some (car-less, city-living, environ-mentalist, cycling), 22 year old, trainee administrator in eCars (with a dart board) .

I think it's way worse - think it's some old fart, petrol head, who has no interest or clue about the transition to EVs, randomly selecting locations just for the craic and designing the most stupid parking layouts at the chargers to make parking as difficult as possible. I actually think, the way they do things it's a systematic sabotage by the ESB meant to be discourage and stop the transition :)

Gael23 wrote:
    Good question - I think it should be down to LAs but ESB should also have some grand strategy. For example core motorway network hubs etc. For those ESB or the gov should be able to help override LAs just in case they cook up something stupid.

The NI gov are like the Amish.

One doesn't need electric cars, broadband Internet or any education or high skilled jobs (it's all the works of the devil isn't it) - horse carts, pigeon Post, homeschooling (equals reading the Bible) and working on the field are the way to go.

Kidding but the DUP aren't far from this....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

McGiver wrote: »
    Good question - I think it should be down to LAs but ESB should also have some grand strategy. For example core motorway network hubs etc. For those ESB or the gov should be able to help override LAs just in case they cook up something stupid.

I live in an area with thousands of houses but there’s no EV charger in a 2 mile radius

I think it's way worse - think it's some old fart, petrol head, who has no interest or clue about the transition to EVs, randomly selecting locations just for the craic and designing the most stupid parking layouts at the chargers to make parking as difficult as possible.

And who still insists on DC chargers being installed with a 50/50 split between CHAdeMO & CCS, despite everyone telling him that the Nissan Leaf is no longer the only show in town, and is by now in the minority....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

And who still insists on DC chargers being installed with a 50/50 split between CHAdeMO & CCS, despite everyone telling him that the Nissan Leaf is no longer the only show in town, and is by now in the minority....

By that argument, why was ccs deployed with chademo when leaf was the only show in town.

Correct statement should be for every chademo there should be at least 2 CCS where all three can charge simultaneously without throttling.... But the stations deployed should have being able to DC charge both.

At present a lot of the dc points, it's either chademo or css. So an electric car of whatever make can roll up and charge if spot is available, just having a single ccs standalone point is pointless when could cater for the the entire market. At least I think that is their reasoning.

• Advertisement

At the moment it makes sense for DC chargers to be installed with CCS and a Nissan Proprietary Connector CHAdeMO when installing the single car chargers (50kW/44kW). Where it turns into an exercise in failure to forward plan is the high powered chargers. These should be installed a 2xCCS, 1xCHAdeMO configuration.

I believe it's just ESB, given how Dublin City Council got a bit tectchy with ESB apparently installing AC chargers around Dublin without asking permission first

I fully believe there isn't much of a strategy or drive to make the project a success. The eCars employees in charge are obviously not EV drivers themselves, otherwise they'd see how bad the network is an be doing their best to improve it

I believe it's just ESB,The eCars employees in charge are obviously not EV drivers themselves, otherwise they'd see how bad the network is an be doing their best to improve it

lol Kramer summed it up quite well in an earlier post.

# 3040

At the moment it makes sense for DC chargers to be installed with CCS and a Nissan Proprietary Connector CHAdeMO when installing the single car chargers (50kW/44kW). Where it turns into an exercise in failure to forward plan is the high powered chargers. These should be installed a 2x8xCCS, 1x2xCHAdeMO configuration.

Fixed your numbers there ;)

I know I'm in the minority here but I think Chademo will live on for some time, it's not like all those Leafs sold in the past decade are going to disappear in the next year or two, more like 10 years at least

Fair enough, they should be installing more CCS than Chademo, but I think every hub should still have 2 Chademo plugs for the future

I believe it's fairly easy on the new chargers to swap a Chademo for CCS afterwards, so as Chademo goes out of support they won't be left with a bunch of unusable chargers

Fixed your numbers there ;)

I think have that many connectors on a single 150kW would excessive :D

I think have that many connectors on a single 150kW would excessive :D

Ah I thought we were talking on a per hub basis :)

Although I wouldn't put it past ESB to put 8 plugs on a single charger and claim it's an 8 car hub :rolleyes:

Gael23 wrote: »
    I live in an area with thousands of houses but there’s no EV charger in a 2 mile radius
    In the North?
    In the South you can request the LA to install one:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/public-charge-point/

Not sure if it works or if anyone tried, but at least better than nothing in NI.

It's not ambitious or thought through enough - 1000 communal charger points in 5 years is ridiculous. It should be 10s of thousands. 1000 is maybe good for one county, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm going to throw out a smoking hot devil's advocate (ie. I don't even know if I believe this one myself) take — it makes more sense to slowly improve EV charging infrastructure in line with demand, rather than try and outpace (and even stimulate) demand. The through line here is twofold:

1. Stimulating EV uptake through infrastructure is pointless because there are enough other incentives to EVs and there will be a big old stick coming by 2030 at the latest.
    2. Charging hardware is constantly improving, so if you "future proof" your network in terms of demand, you're locking yourself into a specific generation of technology which might be rapidly obsolete.

Fight me.

• Advertisement

You'd hope that when we start seeing big numbers of EV's on Irish roads, it might be more of an incentive for operators to come in and compete..

Ionity, for whatever it becomes in the future, has the jump in this regard...

Advertisement