Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ELM327 wrote: »
    That would be a better install than all but 3 ecars setups now. (the hpc+50kW is better, marginally, due to 150kW)

I agree the 150kW unit is much better for obvious reasons, but those sites are still so limited as they are, and I'd guess they'll be like that for years...

limited to 2 CCS cars charging simultaneously with 1 car using the CHAdeMO, or 2 on CHAdeMO and 1 on CCS.. (and unless a Zoe can create a 4th space and stretch the AC43 cable, the AC would be useless if 3 cars are already there charging!!).

What if 3 Leaf's show up at the same time, or 3 ID.3's

If they insist on installing the 150kW units as 1 CCS & 1 CHAdeMO plug, then they need at least 2 50kW units beside it. The absolute minimum requirement for being called a 'hub' should be 3 of any type of plug charging simultaneously, like that site in Coventry..

and has anyone actually seen 150kW from any of these hyper speed units yet? or even 140kW?

Since restrictions first started back on March 13th 2020 (when the schools first closed & the day we picked up our Model 3), there has been a hell of a lot of new EV's sold.. a couple of thousand anyway...

If by some miracle the country gets it's act together and reduces the covid cases to manageable levels again, and internal country travel is permitted again, there will suddenly be a lot of EV's traversing the country, and the eCars network will be found out for what it is... inadequate..

maybe not even this year, but with vaccines and tougher cross border travel restrictions, roads will be busy again... and I'm seeing new EV's on the road every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree the 150kW unit is much better for obvious reasons, but those sites are still so limited as they are, and I'd guess they'll be like that for years...

limited to 2 CCS cars charging simultaneously with 1 car using the CHAdeMO, or 2 on CHAdeMO and 1 on CCS.. (and unless a Zoe can create a 4th space and stretch the AC43 cable, the AC would be useless if 3 cars are already there charging!!).

What if 3 Leaf's show up at the same time, or 3 ID.3's

If they insist on installing the 150kW units as 1 CCS & 1 CHAdeMO plug, then they need at least 2 50kW units beside it. The absolute minimum requirement for being called a 'hub' should be 3 of any type of plug charging simultaneously, like that site in Coventry..

and has anyone actually seen 150kW from any of these hyper speed units yet? or even 140kW?
    Yes, I got 105kW, but that is due to my nerf, I saw someone with a M3 get 145kW

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I ramped to 120kW in my 2015 Model S during the Summer, dropped straight away to 113kW, after that left to get some grub (Galway Plaza).
    Battery was in mid-teens and warm after 1.5hrs drive from Kylemore Abbey

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Since restrictions first started back on March 13th 2020 (when the schools first closed & the day we picked up our Model 3), there has been a hell of a lot of new EV's sold.. a couple of thousand anyway...

If by some miracle the country gets it's act together and reduces the covid cases to manageable levels again, and internal country travel is permitted again, there will suddenly be a lot of EV's traversing the country, and the eCars network will be found out for what it is... inadequate..

maybe not even this year, but with vaccines and tougher cross border travel restrictions, roads will be busy again... and I'm seeing new EV's on the road every day.

Agree 100% - had a trip up north last week as my mother needed shopping and it was a nightmare - only 1 fast charger at the services on the M1 so had to wait 30 minutes (8 free telsa chargers). how can anyone think that 1 fast charger for a motorway service station is adequate.. was the lowest point of owning an EV to date.

• Advertisement

This is why you need to buy a Tesla tbh, or a car supported by anyone else with a charging network (like Ionity) that provide adequate fast charging support.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is why you need to buy a Tesla tbh, or a car supported by anyone else with a charging network (like Ionity) that provide adequate fast charging support.

And this is the reason I have purchased a Tesla M3. Okay fair there are not many Superchargers around yet but they are there if needed

Agree 100% - had a trip up north last week as my mother needed shopping and it was a nightmare - only 1 fast charger at the services on the M1 so had to wait 30 minutes (8 free telsa chargers). how can anyone think that 1 fast charger for a motorway service station is adequate.. was the lowest point of owning an EV to date.

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when in 2021 this is your only ESB option roughly half way between Dublin & Belfast!!

524257.png

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when in 2021 this is your only ESB option roughly half way between Dublin & Belfast!!

524257.png

saw that placeholder for the second charger spot and that annoyed me even further - was wondering how long that had been there for and when (if) the 'second' charger will appear - oh, the forecourt has about 20 diesel/petrol pumps - slight difference

saw that placeholder for the second charger spot and that annoyed me even further - was wondering how long that had been there for and when (if) the 'second' charger will appear

I believe it was an AC unit that they removed years ago....

It's the same on both sides of the motorway... (so 16 Tesla units in total, 2 ESB units).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I saw 130kW from the Galway plaza one last month. But I was fairly empty and the speed started dropping off straight away. 2014 Tesla Model S.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved OT Supercharger Open Access discussion to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154416

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's not the only ESB option tbf — there's one at Banbridge and another at Sprucefield.

I've made the trip a few times in an i3 and it's really not that worrisome. You can fairly easily manage South Dublin to Belfast on a single charge in an i3, so the majority of newer EVs should have no problem doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's not the only ESB option tbf — there's one at Banbridge and another at Sprucefield.

I've made the trip a few times in an i3 and it's really not that worrisome. You can fairly easily manage South Dublin to Belfast on a single charge in an i3, so the majority of newer EVs should have no problem doing it.

It's not great in a Leaf24, the other chargers aren't well placed so you really only have the option of Castle Bellingham

I suppose the one upside is that there's another charger the other way, so if one is broken you're only a 10 mins detour from the other one and won't be stuck

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's not great in a Leaf24, the other chargers aren't well placed so you really only have the option of Castle Bellingham

I suppose the one upside is that there's another charger the other way, so if one is broken you're only a 10 mins detour from the other one and won't be stuck

There are some off-route chargers too that could be used in a pinch, say if you had a Chademo vehicle and couldn't use Ionity ;)

Actually the Ionity placement is fairly useless — it's too close to Dublin when you're heading north and too far from Belfast when you're heading south. It'd have been better the other side of Drogheda.

MJohnston wrote: »

Both in Northern Ireland though, and Northern Ireland isn't exactly top of ESB's 'must maintain' region is it?

Have at look the last 5 check-in's for Banbridge on PlugShare.... Would you like to be arriving here desperate for a charge??

541287.png

Sprucefield looks fairly reliable, but it's hardly midway between Dublin & Belfast is it?

Castlebellingham is roughly half way, and an ideal place to put a charging hub (the clue is the fact Tesla have a hub there). Imagine a hub like that one in Coventry, 3 units, each with 3 different plug types, 150kW will run all 3 units.

Both in Northern Ireland though, and Northern Ireland isn't exactly top of ESB's 'must maintain' region is it?

Have at look the last 5 check-in's for Banbridge on PlugShare.... Would you like to be arriving here desperate for a charge??

541287.png

Sprucefield looks fairly reliable, but it's hardly midway between Dublin & Belfast is it?

Castlebellingham is roughly half way, and an ideal place to put a charging hub (the clue is the fact Tesla have a hub there). Imagine a hub like that one in Coventry, 3 units, each with 3 different plug types, 150kW will run all 3 units.

I thought the "don't come near here" comment was referencing something else like your car would get set on fire

A nice 8x150kW Fastned hub would be great in Castlebellingham

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I thought the "don't come near here" comment was referencing something else like your car would get set on fire

A nice 8x150kW Fastned hub would be great in Castlebellingham

I'm originally from Banbridge, any more talk like that and I'm abusing my mod power :p!

I was up there a couple of months ago, the petrol station was closed down, it's a very isolated place for a charger, I prefer to fill up at Castlebellingham.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Few more AC updates. Galway techs are busy. Barrack street in Loughrea, and Irish rail in Athenry both using the new eVolve Smart T AC units

What's the story with the DC charger at GMC house off the Cappagh road ? ZAP Map shows it as ESB but the ESB don't have it on their map ?

• Advertisement

What's the story with the DC charger at GMC house off the Cappagh road ? ZAP Map shows it as ESB but the ESB don't have it on their map ?

My guess is someone put down the wrong provider, it's on plug surfing as an ESB 22kW AC unit so it's anyone's guess as to what's there, if anything

There's a 44kW Chademo in the Nissan dealership nearby, maybe someone mistook that for an ESB unit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My guess is someone put down the wrong provider, it's on plug surfing as an ESB 22kW AC unit so it's anyone's guess as to what's there, if anything

There's a 44kW Chademo in the Nissan dealership nearby, maybe someone mistook that for an ESB unit

I seem to remember that it's the ESB sports club or something like that. From memory, it's not publicly accessible, it's for their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

One charger ID is from Dublin port, other is from Lifford Donegal. Presume its a mistake

zg3409 wrote: »
    One charger ID is from Dublin port, other is from Lifford Donegal. Presume its a mistake

Probably, it's not on the E-Cars site anyway so I assume it is a mistake.

Texaco (Mace & Supermacs), N4, Ballinalack popped up as having a circontrol raption 50 Unit (the new DC units they've been installing) yesterday. It's back to being the old CHAdeMO only unit now, but signs it's going to be replaced. A replacement, but at least another CCS head installed.

(quoted from the new charger thread)

This is a good location, finally getting a CCS upgrade! I have the chademo adapter but it never worked here as the chad only unit was too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

GNsnWQt.jpg

Luckily I didn't need a charge this morning, but was in the area of this charger in Waterford so dropped in to have a look. Was working fine last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

eagerv wrote: »

Luckily I didn't need a charge this morning, but was in the area of this charger in Waterford so dropped in to have a look. Was working fine last week..
    Is 1st today. Probably he didn't get his rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eagerv wrote: »
    GNsnWQt.jpg

I wonder what would happen if you went into the shop and asked to use the charger. I know you shouldn't have to... but.

innrain wrote: »
    Is 1st today. Probably he didn't get his rent

Maybe ECars got fed up of paying and are moving the charger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I wonder what would happen if you went into the shop and asked to use the charger. I know you shouldn't have to... but.

You don't have to.. He always appears whenever an EV turns up:D

Advertisement