Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I desperately want to go down to Waterford now when restrictions allow to visit this place!!

I'm even willing to build a bridge with my Waterford based sister who I dont talk to, just to find an excuse to visit Waterford!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

innrain wrote: »
    Is 1st today. Probably he didn't get his rent

I would think it has more to do with the lunar cycle, probably a full moon soon.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

innrain wrote: »
    Is 1st today. Probably he didn't get his rent

:D

I wouldn't put it past him!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

eagerv wrote: »
    GNsnWQt.jpg

Luckily I didn't need a charge this morning, but was in the area of this charger in Waterford so dropped in to have a look. Was working fine last week..

That charger's on-again off-again occasionally. Checking PlugShare, you can see some further occurrences of this (and notices posted by presumably the shop's owner). Maybe they got tired and are moving elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

GNsnWQt.jpg

Luckily I didn't need a charge this morning, but was in the area of this charger in Waterford so dropped in to have a look. Was working fine last week..

Preparing for a 150kW DC/hub, perchance?

eCars are banging these out, at a rate of knots, in fairness :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I desperately want to go down to Waterford now when restrictions allow to visit this place!!

I'm even willing to build a bridge with my Waterford based sister who I dont talk to, just to find an excuse to visit Waterford!!!

Waterford CC will be confused as hell as to why EV drivers keep visiting that one shop :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Nuphor wrote: »
    That charger's on-again off-again occasionally. Checking PlugShare, you can see some further occurrences of this (and notices posted by presumably the shop's owner). Maybe they got tired and are moving elsewhere?

This is 100% the shop owner's doing and not ESB, as they are showing the charger as still active/available... If there were pulling out it would be offline..

This guy just likes to randomly block the charger with barriers & benches etc...

He seems like a nut job!!!

Kramer wrote: »
    Preparing for a 150kW DC/hub, perchance?

eCars are banging these out, at a rate of knots, in fairness :D.

Don't mention knots, knowing our luck one of the ESB techs will end up getting tangled up in a charging cable and they'll have to halt the whole programme for a full safety review :eek:

This is 100% the shop owner's doing and not ESB, as they are showing the charger as still active/available... If there were pulling out it would be offline..

This guy just likes to randomly block the charger with barriers & benches etc...

He seems like a nut job!!!

Move barriers
    Park car
    Connect to charger
    Replace barriers
    Put up a load of fire hazard signs on the barriers
    Can cannot be moved or towed as it's a 'fire hazard'

I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish here, but it seems like it'd be a good laugh :D

The beauty is if I go down in the Model 3, I'll be able to record the whole encounter on the cars 4 sentry mode cameras (because of course there's going to be an encounter if anyone tries to charge up there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's his way of helping to prevent the spread of the virus. More or less a lockdown measure. His version of level 5, call it level 5+ (the plus being no EV charging for you :pac:).

It makes sense - keeping EV drivers from travelling has got to be beneficial, no?

The beauty is if I go down in the Model 3, I'll be able to record the whole encounter on the cars 4 sentry mode cameras (because of course there's going to be an encounter if anyone tries to charge up there).

So if a car crashed into the barriers, would it be a legitimate defense that ESB said the charger was availalbe

With the M3 you could say you were on autopilot :)

DC charger at Circle K Clonsaugh looks to be out of action, 2 vans parked at it doing work on the charger

Hopefully it's up soon, that one seems to get quite a bit of use

DC charger at Circle K Clonsaugh looks to be out of action, 2 vans parked at it doing work on the charger

Hopefully it's up soon, that one seems to get quite a bit of use

That site is absolutely ripe for a 4-8 car hub.... (2x 150kW units and 2 50kW units).

M1-M50 Junction, Close to Airport, Close to City Centre/Tunnel, 2 Hotels onsite, plenty of green space around it.

That site is absolutely ripe for a 4-8 car hub.... (2x 150kW units and 2 50kW units).

M1-M50 Junction, Close to Airport, Close to City Centre/Tunnel, 2 Hotels onsite, plenty of green space around it.

They're installing a CNG station for trucks there at the moment

FFS, they'll spend a ton of cash on gassing a bunch of trucks but they won't spend a penney for some fast chargers :rolleyes:

There's a big electric substation being built there as well. It's probably for the new hotel but I have this crazy dream that there's gonna be a bunch of 150kW chargers going in

On a side note, ESB still haven't charged me for using charging via plug surfing back in Decemeber. I'm beginning to think I might have gotten away with it

Fine money making enterprise they're running there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

On a side note, ESB still haven't charged me for using charging via plug surfing back in Decemeber. I'm beginning to think I might have gotten away with it

Fine money making enterprise they're running there :D
    ESB wouldnt charge you, Plugsurfing would.

Word to the wise: I got away with free DC charging for around a year on this before they started billing me (and didnt bill me retrospectively), the app now shows me the correct prices on plugsurfing so I dont have that option any more.

Would keep it quiet personally, the less people that know about it, the less likely it is to be discovered. I have another free workaround at the moment (Not sharing it unless it's found out/discontinued).

Plugsurfing used to give free ecars charging, easygo used to give all free (even ionity) until they nerfed that. Now I have only 1 remaining option.

ELM327 wrote: »
    ESB wouldnt charge you, Plugsurfing would.

Word to the wise: I got away with free DC charging for around a year on this before they started billing me (and didnt bill me retrospectively), the app now shows me the correct prices on plugsurfing so I dont have that option any more.

Would keep it quiet personally, the less people that know about it, the less likely it is to be discovered. I have another free workaround at the moment (Not sharing it unless it's found out/discontinued).

Plugsurfing used to give free ecars charging, easygo used to give all free (even ionity) until they nerfed that. Now I have only 1 remaining option.

Yeah I figure it'll show up in my plugsurfing history at some point, ESB need to go and tell plugsurfing about it

Personally I find this stuff very frustrating. I don't mind folks finding these hacks to get free charging, that's just exploiting exisiting faults in the system

It's more that, without any doubt, ESB will claim that their charging infrstructure is running at a loss, or barely making money, and will say they can't install chargers without financial support

And yet, they're allowing users to get away without paying. It just boggles the mind

If someone drove off a forecourt without paying for petrol they'd be caught on camera and reported to the guards before the day is out

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GNsnWQt.jpg

He's just upgrading the picnic bench :D

Next one is so big it will occupy both spaces!

Yeah I figure it'll show up in my plugsurfing history at some point, ESB need to go and tell plugsurfing about it

Personally I find this stuff very frustrating. I don't mind folks finding these hacks to get free charging, that's just exploiting exisiting faults in the system

It's more that, without any doubt, ESB will claim that their charging infrstructure is running at a loss, or barely making money, and will say they can't install chargers without financial support

And yet, they're allowing users to get away without paying. It just boggles the mind

If someone drove off a forecourt without paying for petrol they'd be caught on camera and reported to the guards before the day is out

If you presented your card and the cashier didnt charge you and said the fillup was free, you wouldnt. This is what happens here, people use apps or RFID that have roaming, exploiting a gap in the system where it is not set up correctly by the operator (ie ecars).

Ionity always billed correctly, and that's the reason the EasyGo workaround only lasted a few weeks as Easygo were getting billed (via the MSP roaming process) by Ionity.

These same bills are going to ecars but they arent doing anything with them. It's absolutely not the same as stealing, it's nefariously exploiting a gap, nothing more and nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

zg3409 wrote: »
    Athlone town. 2 chargers being installed today. Looks like one 150kW and one 50kW with only a Max 22kW AC socket. Photos on plugshare. New site near town centre. Kilmartins Centra

first bit of real progress of 2021 from ecars. Another dual unit site, and would appear to be plenty of room for expansion. Sadly the units look to be mounted in the parking bay, so less room for cars to park, and highly unlikely you'd be able to reach the unit from behind the kerb should the designated bay be iced.

The already well serviced M6 gets another fast charger.

It's "already well serviced", but this is actually the first HPC (at least - that isnt overpriced)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is Athlone turning into Irelands Milton Keynes, at least with regard to EV charging!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

For anyone that has been lazy and never switched from the subscription to payg on ecard, it can be done via email now.

graememk wrote: »
    For anyone that has been lazy and never switched from the subscription to payg on ecard, it can be done via email now.

Excellent, between this and lockdown I may never have to speak to strangers again :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

first bit of real progress of 2021 from ecars. Another dual unit site, and would appear to be plenty of room for expansion. Sadly the units look to be mounted in the parking bay, so less room for cars to park, and highly unlikely you'd be able to reach the unit from behind the kerb should the designated bay be iced.

The already well serviced M6 gets another fast charger.

So being an Athlone guy I went out to have a look at these this morning on the way home from food shop.
    Firstly we are pretty okay at the minute, a 50kW Circle K and 4 Ionity's at Circle K Motorway Service station which is just 4miles out of town.
    Bad news with that setup is the 50kw Circle K is out of action probably 50% of the time.
    eCars legacy 50kW charger beside KFC in town.
    8 22kW eCars slow chargers in town and one (load sharing) at Circle K Motorway Service Station. Think the Rail Station has a ultra low charger also but it's never been up and working any time I passed by and checked.

The location is a disaster, that is a short one way stretch and very hard to access. You have to hug the LHS of the Kilmartins shop to access it and this access point is forever double parked with lazy sods in the shop.
    You can also pass through a car wash lane to access the charger but you won't know that unless you are a local.
    If you take what looks like the logical road to the chargers you end up outside the hotel and on the wrong side of the parking spaces.
    That spot is extremely busy, it's right next to where a Parcel Motel was located which I used a lot, there was forever double parking going on as there are not many parking spaces in the area to satisfy the lazy sods.
    I anticipate a lot of ICE'ing going on.

Then there's the way they placed it, it is stepped back from an already tight (in terms of length) parking spot so you are losing a good 3feet, then there's a steel barrier losing another foot and the units have those goddam short cables.
    Any long EV like an S will be sticking around 4/5feet into the road if parked in front of the HiPo unit and with delivery vans etc parked where they shouldn't be perpendicular to the chargers there will simply not be enough room for ordinary road users to drive comfortably by.
    Will be interesting to see how many spaces they mark for EV charging.

Power appears to have been from light post, I could not see any other ground works.

Honestly, the sheer incompetence of location beggars belief

IMG-20210204-105053-1.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah that's a pretty poor location for a HPC, dunno what they were thinking. 2x 50kW would have been better and put the HPC near the motorway

If the power is coming from a light post, whats the best that they'll be power limited?

slave1 wrote: »
    Honestly, the sheer incompetence of location beggars belief

IMG-20210204-105053-1.jpg

meanwhile on the M1, half way between Belfast & Dublin;

524257.png

meanwhile on the M1, half way between Belfast & Dublin;

524257.png

At least you've another 50kW on the other side of the motorway there, even if it does mean a 10km detour

A lot of places there's no backup for 50km :mad:

• Advertisement

At least you've another 50kW on the other side of the motorway there, even if it does mean a 10km detour

and I've 8 Superchargers on either side too ;););)

Advertisement