Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

meanwhile on the M1, half way between Belfast & Dublin;

I'll be disappointed if they install the equipment from Athlone on the M1, the M1 stations need to be proper hubs, not the mini hubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

and I've 8 Superchargers on either side too ;););)

I know :(

I've yet to see more than 1 in use as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

liamog wrote: »
    I'll be disappointed if they install the equipment from Athlone on the M1, the M1 stations need to be proper hubs, not the mini hubs!

I'd settle for 2x 150kW units in the spaces in the pic above (4 cars simultaneously), and then a 50kW CCS/CHAdeMO unit in 1 space beside them, and finally 1 or 2 Twin AC22's further down the line (for Zoe's/Model S, and everyone else while waiting for a DC plug to become available).

1 of the 150kW units would be twin CCS with no CHAdeMO plug.

So the site ends up with 3-4 CCS Plugs & 1-2 CHAdeMO plugs, depending on what's being used on the 50kW unit.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/02/02/uk-government-adds-20mn-to-on-street-charger-scheme/

That's an ESB UK charger pictured, WFT!!!???

So as well as scamming the Irish government, the ESB is scamming the UK government out of money?

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified

https://www.electrive.com/2021/02/02/uk-government-adds-20mn-to-on-street-charger-scheme/

That's an ESB UK charger pictured, WFT!!!???

So as well as scamming the Irish government, the ESB is scamming the UK government out of money?

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified

At least they are getting a network that's somewhat fit for purpose!!
    Ah yes, I see them now, London & Coventry.

Jeeebus they have some setup over there... multiple sites with 2 & 3 DC units.....

540989.jpeg

• Advertisement

At least they are getting a network that's somewhat fit for purpose!!

Yeah I remember that picture, I guess it's nice to know that it's a case that ESB won't install a proper charging network, rather than they can't install one

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    So being an Athlone guy I went out to have a look at these this morning on the way home from food shop.
    Firstly we are pretty okay at the minute, a 50kW Circle K and 4 Ionity's at Circle K Motorway Service station which is just 4miles out of town.
    Bad news with that setup is the 50kw Circle K is out of action probably 50% of the time.
    eCars legacy 50kW charger beside KFC in town.
    8 22kW eCars slow chargers in town and one (load sharing) at Circle K Motorway Service Station. Think the Rail Station has a ultra low charger also but it's never been up and working any time I passed by and checked.

The location is a disaster, that is a short one way stretch and very hard to access. You have to hug the LHS of the Kilmartins shop to access it and this access point is forever double parked with lazy sods in the shop.
    You can also pass through a car wash lane to access the charger but you won't know that unless you are a local.
    If you take what looks like the logical road to the chargers you end up outside the hotel and on the wrong side of the parking spaces.
    That spot is extremely busy, it's right next to where a Parcel Motel was located which I used a lot, there was forever double parking going on as there are not many parking spaces in the area to satisfy the lazy sods.
    I anticipate a lot of ICE'ing going on.

Then there's the way they placed it, it is stepped back from an already tight (in terms of length) parking spot so you are losing a good 3feet, then there's a steel barrier losing another foot and the units have those goddam short cables.
    Any long EV like an S will be sticking around 4/5feet into the road if parked in front of the HiPo unit and with delivery vans etc parked where they shouldn't be perpendicular to the chargers there will simply not be enough room for ordinary road users to drive comfortably by.
    Will be interesting to see how many spaces they mark for EV charging.

Power appears to have been from light post, I could not see any other ground works.

Honestly, the sheer incompetence of location beggars belief

Street view suggests those lamp posts are relatively new. 2019 street view doesnt have them.

Are they just opposite that loading bay? Trucks aren't known for their best parking either, so it could be very tight getting into a space.

A real shame they didn't even just put them up on the kerb/redesigned the kerb to incorporate them. It would have solved the space issue to some extent, and allowed charging from either side of the kerb (albeit somewhat hindered). Only hope is that the units being so blindingly obvious in the parking space stops people ICEing them.

I'll have to check them out next time i'm home... April perhaps? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are pretty much directly opposite where the Parcel Motel used to be, which was basically the loading bay for Kilmartins/McD's.
    A Model S will have great difficulty reversing into the charger if a large van/delivery truck is parked in the loading bay (which they are perfectly entitled to do).
    Absolutely they should have the chargers incorporated into the muck/flora (yard or so of space) at the rear of where they are at present.
    As the Talking Heads would day, Stop Making Sense

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Maybe is for the loadinng trucks. https://youtu.be/rWKHFiB4XG8 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

slave1 wrote: »
    They are pretty much directly opposite where the Parcel Motel used to be, which was basically the loading bay for Kilmartins/McD's.
    A Model S will have great difficulty reversing into the charger if a large van/delivery truck is parked in the loading bay (which they are perfectly entitled to do).
    Absolutely they should have the chargers incorporated into the muck/flora (yard or so of space) at the rear of where they are at present.
    As the Talking Heads would day, Stop Making Sense

Well, as long as the whole situation doesn't end up with someone turning into a Psycho Killer.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Work has started as part of getting the long due charging stations upgrade at Junction14 Mayfield on M7. By the look of it, it’s going to be a charging hub of 6 chargers and the existing unit will be removed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

peposhi wrote: »
    Work has started as part of getting the long due charging stations upgrade at Junction14 Mayfield on M7. By the look of it, it’s going to be a charging hub of 6 chargers and the existing unit will be removed.

A first actual hub!?

u_10173560.jpg

I guess then they’ve given up on trying to get the 150kW unit just down the motorway at Portlaoise Plaza to actually output 150kW..... and the eCars solution is to just build a 6 car hub 28km further up the motorway!!

I guess then they’ve given up on trying to get the 150kW unit just down the motorway at Portlaoise Plaza to actually output 150kW..... and the eCars solution is to just build a 6 car hub 28km further up the motorway!!

Be nice if they could spread these "hubs" out a bit, assuming portlaoise gets full power.

Monasterevin/Mayfield was always planned to be the first hub.
    "The first eight bay high power hub will be located at Mayfield, on the M7 at Monasterevin. Construction of the hub is due to commence in Q4/20."

u_10173560.jpg

I was going to say something sarcastic but nothing can top that picture :D

graememk wrote: »
    A first actual hub!?

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow

They'll probably put all the chargers right beside each other so you can't actually fit 6 cars around them

Be nice if they could spread these "hubs" out a bit, assuming portlaoise gets full power.

Or put them all 30-50km apart from each other, and give a new lease of life to the second hand Gen 1 Leaf market!!

Or put them all 30-50km apart from each other, and give a new lease of life to the second hand Gen 1 Leaf market!!

Leafs travelling up and down the M7 hogging all the 150kW units sucking in 45kW, but too afraid to venture off the motorway because they don't have the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Quote:
    As part of the support for the SPSV sector, the Department of Transport is investing in the installation of SPSV dedicated recharging infrastructure across the country. Last year, chargers were installed at Dublin (22kW and 2 x 150kW) and Cork (22kW and 50kW) airports, which are both already operational, as well as at Dublin (Heuston), Cork (Kent) and Limerick (Colbert) train stations (2 x50Kw) which will be available to SPSV drivers by March. Further installations at key transport hubs will also be completed in 2021
    End quote

Dublin Airport is epower not listed on their app, but supposedly there, may be taxi only, not sure, someone said they might be public, possibly not commissioned yet.

Cork Airport is 2 x 50kW + AC, epower, only both 50kW showing on epower app, someone failed to get it to work last weekend, may not be commissioned yet., they still seem to be fiddling with app

Heuston is ESB and they were installing more, showing now 4 cars can get Max 22kW. I am not sure if anything more planned

• Advertisement

I presume the ones in Dublin are in the taxi waiting park... where the public don’t have access to..

I’m guessing like the ones in Cork, they are not eCars run units...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Good location, large service station.

This should be done at every similarly sized service station on all M routes. For starters. Minimum 1x 150 kW+ dual/triple head, 2x 50 kW triple head and 1x 22 kW AC back-up per hub.

Pronto.

We're even behind "Central & Eastern Europe" countries with smaller/similar EV numbers and similar motorway length and similar area...

Czechia - 400 CCS
    Slovakia - 200 CCS
    Croatia - 170 CCS
    Hungary - 142 CCS

Tiny Slovenia has 90 CCS which is almost the same as us! :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    Good location, large service station.

This should be done at every similarly sized service station on all M routes. For starters. Minimum 1x 150 kW+ dual/triple head, 2x 50 kW triple head and 1x 22 kW AC back-up per hub.

I really hope that's not the approach they take for hubs, I want to see them install the better distributed chargers at hubs. They should be installing the units that are 6 charging points attached to 1 block of chargers (like the Ionity/Tesla model). That way we won't be stuck with the old Tesla problem of people sharing a charger.

I do agree they should be fitting a triple head as a backup and to serve the remaining Zoe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I really hope that's not the approach they take for hubs, I want to see them install the better distributed chargers at hubs. They should be installing the units that are 6 charging points attached to 1 block of chargers (like the Ionity/Tesla model). That way we won't be stuck with the old Tesla problem of people sharing a charger.

I do agree they should be fitting a triple head as a backup and to serve the remaining Zoe's and leafs.
    Agree along with this addition

They should really be installing dedicated 150kW multiples and leave one triple head for the legacy systems (chademo and fast ac)

Do we really believe though that they'll add enough dedicated spaces to allow full utilisation of whatever configuration they install there...

Look at Kells where you have 3 parking spaces, at a site where 4 cars can charge at once... even though eCars insist on only 3 being able to charge at once.... so either they're lying, or they've downgraded the triple head so that the AC43 is now inactive if the CCS or CHAdeMO is in use...

Also, what a stunning parking job they used for the promo photo to announce that this site was active....

529255.jpeg

529430.jpeg

I do agree they should be fitting a triple head as a backup and to serve the remaining Zoe's.
    I will bet all my money they will not do single connector chargers.

More connectors = they can "show" more cars can charge at a "hub" and skew the numbers in that way.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree along with this addition

They should really be installing dedicated 150kW multiples and leave one triple head for the legacy systems (chademo and fast ac)
    Yes, they should. But it won't happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

graememk wrote: »
    A first actual hub!?

It was meant to be iOnity at first but ESB came to their senses and won the battle. The service station has gone through a serious renovation and it is now probably the nicest one on any motorway in the country.
    The hub will be well used down the years and may well get extended. I’ll dig a bit, but to my understanding the power going to the hubs is quite substantial...

It was meant to be iOnity at first but ESB came to their senses and won the battle. The service station has gone through a serious renovation and it is now probably the nicest one on any motorway in the country.
    The hub will be well used down the years and may well get extended. I’ll dig a bit, but to my understanding the power going to the hubs is quite substantial...

I've stopped at Mayfield once with 30km range left, to find a PHEV ioniq fumbling around trying to charge without an ESB card (he had just picked up the car), and parked in the bay I needed to use in order to reach the charger. I was as polite and informative as I could be, but was also anxious to get him to move so I could get charging. I quickly discovered the CCS head, while in service, was broken. Ecars say it hadn't been in use all day. I never actually noticed the services there. :D

Had to crawl into Naas. Worst positioned charger ever!

• Advertisement

What's the bet they'll have a serious load limitation on that site? Probably 150kW when 1 car is charging, drops to 25kW when all 6 plugs are in use :(

Maybe I'm being overly harsh but I've no faith in ESB at this point

Advertisement