Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah, I asked a question in the meeting very early on "what is the configuration of the 8 car hub?" but it didn't get answered.
    I meant to attend this to ask similar issues but couldnt (I slept through...)

One would hope that at least 2 of the 4 pedestals are CCSonly and the other two 50:50

Especially on HPC >50Kw it's a waste having a chademo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »
    I meant to attend this to ask similar issues but couldnt (I slept through...)

One would hope that at least 2 of the 4 pedestals are CCSonly and the other two 50:50

Especially on HPC >50Kw it's a waste having a chademo.

The newer Leafs can charge at 100kW, assuming they aren't rapidgating. So not a waste to put 2x Chademos there

I'll put money down the site will be power limited anyway, so each plug will be supplying 150kW to one car or 75kW to two cars at the same time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The newer Leafs can charge at 100kW, assuming they aren't rapidgating. So not a waste to put 2x Chademos there

I'll put money down the site will be power limited anyway, so each plug will be supplying 150kW to one car or 75kW to two cars at the same time
    The newer 62kWh leafs are maxed out at 77kW or so (see Bjorn's test).
    And there's next to none of them on the road. It's a unicorn case which is blocking the majority of users.

Go with the Electrifiy America approach imo, 4 units, 3 * 2CCS and 1* 1 CCS & 1 chademo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All these years later and I'm still astounded there is not a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter, surely it's possible

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where are Lahey and Lough? Loughrea is it?

Edit: sorry missed your correction on louth there :pac:

Yeah, typo from me there.
    No idea what Lahey is. Just copying what they presented. Fake inflated hubs.

The newer 62kWh leafs are maxed out at 77kW or so (see Bjorn's test).
    And there's next to none of them on the road. It's a unicorn case which is blocking the majority of users.

Go with the Electrifiy America approach imo, 4 units, 3 * 2CCS and 1* 1 CCS & 1 chademo.

I'd hope for more CCS than CHAdeMO, at least as a trial. See what happens. But you know they won't, like a radio station host allowing some moron on to talk just in the interest of balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm gonna guess the motorway services at Castlebellingham, they've been crying out for more chargers for years, plus they have Tesla Superchargers there already so the grid connection must be good

That would be the dream!

slave1 wrote: »
    All these years later and I'm still astounded there is not a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter, surely it's possible
    It's possible but very complex. There is a different protocol from the two, it's not just as simple as changing the socket on the car/

Although it must be possible as some cars (Tesla S/X) can charge on both standards via adapters to Type2 DC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Laghey is about 5km outside Donegal town on the road to Sligo. It’s the one I would love to see the most. It already has a 50kW charger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

digiman wrote: »
    Laghey is about 5km outside Donegal town on the road to Sligo. It’s the one I would love to see the most. It already has a 50kW charger

They recently (a year ago) put in a base for a second charger. Its the only 50kW charger in south Donegal and there is only one in north Donegal in leterkenny. The old 50kW laghy one is often broken (screen frozen) and ones further south in Sligo can be busy too. I do Dublin -> Donegal town about one weekend a month in non covid, and by EV I used to go via Monaghan as it had 2 x 50kW chargers (one easygo) but that's been removed. I plan on going via kells next, but I typically granny charge at Donegal end, but Laghy is a good backup and handy to have. The shop there is half decent too, and the parking layout is OKish.

Legally they have to put in chargers at the new services in Donegal town at supermacs, I have a planning complaint in, but they may only become AC points. The spaces were marked 2 or 3 years ago when it opened

zg3409 wrote: »
    They recently (a year ago) put in a base for a second charger. Its the only 50kW charger in south Donegal and there is only one in north Donegal in leterkenny. The old 50kW laghy one is often broken (screen frozen) and ones further south in Sligo can be busy too. I do Dublin -> Donegal town about one weekend a month in non covid, and by EV I used to go via Monaghan as it had 2 x 50kW chargers (one easygo) but that's been removed. I plan on going via kells next, but I typically granny charge at Donegal end, but Laghy is a good backup and handy to have. The shop there is half decent too, and the parking layout is OKish.

Legally they have to put in chargers at the new services in Donegal town at supermacs, I have a planning complaint in, but they may only become AC points. The spaces were marked 2 or 3 years ago when it opened

If the M1 service stations are anything to go by that pedestal will have a charger on it sometime around 2029 (and counting)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If the M1 service stations are anything to go by that pedestal will have a charger on it sometime around 2029 (and counting)

Perfect, just in time for the end of lockdown, the grand opening of the national children's hospital, the start of the roll out of the national broadband plan & vaccine roll out for covid-26 :D.

We might have an actual hub by then too, God willing :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

zg3409 wrote: »

Would be great if we could get ones at Supermac’s, there is an ESB 38kV substation across the road from there as well so you would think that would make it easier to deliver the power requirements.

Kramer wrote: »
    Perfect, just in time for the end of lockdown, the grand opening of the national children's hospital, the start of the roll out of the national broadband plan & vaccine roll out for covid-26 :D.

We might have an actual hub by then too, God willing :pac:.

Ever the optimist ;)

I don't see why they are making such a deal about J14 Mayfield being a hub. It's the least needed hub in that location, as there are already Ionity and Tesla chargers on that route.

They should be putting the hub further down the m7/8
    And another on the M11, M1 and N5

I don't see why they are making such a deal about J14 Mayfield being a hub. It's the least needed hub in that location, as there are already Ionity and Tesla chargers on that route.

Well you can subtract the Tesla chargers for all us non Tesla owners :p

I see your point though, there's other routes with a greater need for charging so why is ESB adding to a well served route. I'm guessing it's one of the most used roads in Ireland, but the M1 wouldn't be far behind

I'd like it if they started to put HPCs closer to city boundaries. for example if I'm driving Dublin-Cork and back without destination charging then it's fastest to stop at Cashel each way. A HPC just outside Cork would mean I can cut that to a single stop

I know it's a slight edge case but since the commerical providers seems to be targeting mid point stops along major routes then there might be an opening for ESB to add some value to the customer this way

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Putting the hub where it's needed is not how eCars roll.

Putting it in an area that is already reasonably well served (halfway between Kill & Portlaoise), now that's the eCars way....

Ever the optimist ;)

2010 - minister for transport.
    Then.

lHF8k9V.jpg

2021 - minister for transport.
    Now.

159371038952108168-2.png

We're living in an episode of Father Ted, though I'm not sure which one of the three amigos is Dougal.
    Donnelly is a in there with a shout too :D.

2021 - eCars brand spanking new install, in a carpark that floods regularly.
    BamkORy.jpg

My glass is no longer half full - it's long since been shattered, swept up & dumped in landfill :pac:.

I'd like it if they started to put HPCs closer to city boundaries. for example if I'm driving Dublin-Cork and back without destination charging then it's fastest to stop at Cashel each way. A HPC just outside Cork would mean I can cut that to a single stop

I know it's a slight edge case but since the commerical providers seems to be targeting mid point stops along major routes then there might be an opening for ESB to add some value to the customer this way

Kinda agree. I did Cork-Ikea-Cork about 18 months ago, before fees were introduced, but cashel was my go to charge point because I could rely on it, and there were no other "hubs" on the route back then. A HPC hub further up the route would of saved me probably 1 charge. I avoided having to charge near Dublin because 1) there were no fees at the time, 2) Lucan is one of the busiest units in the country.

FYI, Cork City is getting a hub according to Ecars, I'd hope Frankfield, as it's by far the busiest FCP in Cork.

2021 - eCars brand spanking new install, in a carpark that floods regularly.

At least Ecars kinda suggested no more AC installs in 2021.

Electric charge points to get wider range of exemptions from planning permission:
    EuV1joWXAAUTFmB?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

Kinda agree. I did Cork-Ikea-Cork about 18 months ago, before fees were introduced, but cashel was my go to charge point because I could rely on it, and there were no other "hubs" on the route back then. A HPC hub further up the route would of saved me probably 1 charge. I avoided having to charge near Dublin because 1) there were no fees at the time, 2) Lucan is one of the busiest units in the country.

FYI, Cork City is getting a hub according to Ecars, I'd hope Frankfield, as it's by far the busiest FCP in Cork.
    Frankfield is a good spot, plenty of room for a hub and just off the main road (not a motorway per se but it's just off the M8)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

For the last nearly 10 years Junction14 on N7 has been extremely popular, convenient and easy accessible stop for people travelling up and down the country and has been a place to take a rest and re-charge for many EV drivers (and some local free loaders back in time).
    With the recent full re-development of the main building, hugely extended car, bus and truck parking spaces it has increased 3 times its ability to accommodate daily traffic than it used to. Not surprised ESB made sure they got this site (it was planned to be iOnity back in the day) as this will be one of the first sites they will get a good use of all chargers they have installed. God knows when they’ll make any profit, but the facility will be there to use and that’s the main thing
    My prediction is that in 5 years time there will be at least another 4 chargers installed there if not more depending on the traffic increase and speed of transition towards EVs to n Ireland...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Frankfield is a good spot, plenty of room for a hub and just off the main road (not a motorway per se but it's just off the M8)

yep, good location as well being on the airport road... so anyone coming to ORK from the sticks for a pick up can get a nice boost while on a warm battery..

(I was there on Thursday, and was bursting for a pi$$, and of course the garage were changing their shutter or something so no one was allowed enter the shop!! Thank feck for the Travelodge next door).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galway ---> Limerick --> Cork is going to remain pretty poorly served in terms of convenient chargers on route it seems.

Waterford is one of the worst served, from Kilcullen down.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Galway ---> Limerick --> Cork is going to remain pretty poorly served in terms of convenient chargers on route it seems.

Limerick to Cork has got to be the worst - not a single DC charger between the second & third largest cities, just 100km of nothingness :(.

yep, good location as well being on the airport road... so anyone coming to ORK from the sticks for a pick up can get a nice boost while on a warm battery..

(I was there on Thursday, and was bursting for a pi$$, and of course the garage were changing their shutter or something so no one was allowed enter the shop!! Thank feck for the Travelodge next door).

The shop toilet is always closed in my experience (we've been up and down to the bon secours a few times in th epast 6 months).

Limerick to Cork has got to be the worst - not a single DC charger between the second & third largest cities, just 100km of nothingness :(.

I haven't updated this since November, but it's probably still accurate:

8Cm1gU1.png

To be fair, even a 24kWh Leaf should manage that on a charge

You'll need to leave one charging on the other end to get home though :D

• Advertisement

Mrs. K was well aware of every charger/charge point/domestic socket in the east Limerick/north Cork areas, as much of the 50k km we accumulated on the Ioniq was done there. She always had the fallback of a 7kW AC in the train station car park in Mallow, or Centra (Easygo), or Charleville.

We got the Ioniq in January 2019.

Now, over 2 years & €10 million later, there's still nothing. Not a single DC along that road.
    What use is 7kW AC to anyone, save for people overnighting in hotels or apartment dwellers without home charging.

The Ioniq has since gone, replaced by a Model 3 (11kW AC - woo hoo!). I expect that too will be gone before we see an actual, tax payer funded, eCars hub :rolleyes:.

Advertisement