Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Worth noting that Castlebellingham fast charger (SB) is not taking cards at the moment - tried 3 & didn't register but could activate on the app. I expect the card reader is faulty.. didn't find this out until after waiting 20 minutes for the other guy to leave.

Going back to what we said on this thread earlier - the charging points between here & belfast are shocking. Had to do a round trip to do a few things for the mother and spent 2 hours waiting for or charging. The banbridge one was out of order leaving only 2 fast chargers in the city of belfast (sprucefield & boucher-road). sprucefield had a queue waiting & boucher road was blocked all day by the same car (thinking it was from 1 of the garages). I would also say that NI needs to bring in charging for the fast chargers to ease the pressure on the (shockingly poor) network..

There is zero chance that we will have 1 million EVs in ireland in 8 & 1/2 years if this is the setup we have on the island..

Worth noting that Castlebellingham fast charger (SB) is not taking cards at the moment - tried 3 & didn't register but could activate on the app. I expect the card reader is faulty.. didn't find this out until after waiting 20 minutes for the other guy to leave.

Going back to what we said on this thread earlier - the charging points between here & belfast are shocking. Had to do a round trip to do a few things for the mother and spent 2 hours waiting for or charging. The banbridge one was out of order leaving only 2 fast chargers in the city of belfast (sprucefield & boucher-road). sprucefield had a queue waiting & boucher road was blocked all day by the same car (thinking it was from 1 of the garages). I would also say that NI needs to bring in charging for the fast chargers to ease the pressure on the (shockingly poor) network..

There is zero chance that we will have 1 million EVs in ireland in 8 & 1/2 years if this is the setup we have on the island..

The Public charging infrastructure is crap and one reason I am reluctant to get rid of the Rex because once I've petrol in the tank I can go anywhere any time and it has saved me a lot of time waiting around at chargers and saved a lot of Queuing + the Rex completely eliminates the increased charge times when the battery is cold.

We have the Outlander so if I did change it's not a huge issue if I go back to BEV but it would mean electrics and the charging network are still not good enough to replace ice cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You must have that reply on “speed dial” at this stage, we’ve seen it so much! ;)

VCpURMW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla have updated their "coming soon" list with ETAs in Q2 and Q3 of '21, would be good to get Galway, cork and Sandyford online this year.

A bit off topic but teslas idea of a coming soon site, means nothing might happen for 10+ years. These dates are pushed out again and again with no sign of anything being attempted. Their Belfast dealership was muted as having a site but they have confirmed its not going to happen now. Tesla don't seem to be really opening any new sites recently except sales sites where they hog the local ESB charger. Those dates are lies. You should assume they will never happen.

The network in NI is a total disaster with 0 x 50kW chargers in Belfast working one day and other sites down for months even years. Many 50kW chargers don't have CCS and ESB have no plans to do anything until NI gives them matching funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

zg3409 wrote: »
    The network in NI is a total disaster with 0 x 50kW chargers in Belfast working one day and other sites down for months even years. Many 50kW chargers don't have CCS and ESB have no plans to do anything until NI gives them matching funding.

It's a bit of an odd situation given the UK government seems to be throwing money into fast chargers lately, you'd think some of that money would have made it to NI

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's a bit of an odd situation given the UK government seems to be throwing money into fast chargers lately, you'd think some of that money would have made it to NI

Expect its a devolved matter and they’re likely too busy working out what colour to paint the curb stones than spending the money on fast chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

Even if they threw money at it, the restriction on per-kW charging will deter anyone from investing in an EV charging network there.

markpb wrote: »
    Even if they threw money at it, the restriction on per-kW charging will deter anyone from investing in an EV charging network there.

What restrictions are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

They invest in printing the Bible and digging a tunnel to Scotland.

/s but I couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

What restrictions are they?

Good question! I’ve seen this mentioned in numerous places online but can’t find any backing for it. So instead, this is a good summary of how eCars see the situation: https://nievo.org/the-state-of-the-network-esb-meeting-q1-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Meanwhile in France...

100k chargers by the end of 2021.

Gov initiated funding for min 4x HPC chargers at each one of the 440 rest stations on the national motorway network.
    Gov supplies 30-40% of the funding private sector pays the rest. This is better approach than the ecars model.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/02/15/france-to-fund-fast-charging-sites-with-e100mn/

Meanwhile in Korea...

Upping FCPs from 9000 to 12000 in 2021. Comprehensive gov EV package.
    https://www.electrive.com/2021/02/01/south-korea-to-install-3000-charging-stations-in-2021/

Note: notice the parking layout!

Ireland should have had in order of 500+ FCPs by now based on area and population. There are ~100 FCPs at the moment and that's shambles really, similarly sized Central and Eastern countries have multiple of that number and adding more every month. And despite all that the gov has zero ambition, zero plan, zero interest, neither building nor mandating to build or letting others to build by cutting the red tape, or creating EV legislation at least.

If they can't build it themselves they should create legislation and fund those who can (as most EU countries are doing - just pay grants). But they aren't doing even that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

McGiver wrote: »
    If they can't build it themselves they should create legislation and fund those who can (as most EU countries are doing - just pay grants). But they aren't doing even that...

Don't worry, the minister for transport is on it................

159371038952108168-2.png

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Leave Eamon alone, he's probably tired from driving his diesel van to around the corner from the dáil and pushing his bike the rest of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Slight update on the works on the new charging points at Junction 14 Mayfield (to be confirmed):
    It will consist 6 x FCP with potential to be extended to 8.
    The old FCP unit will be removed and no plans for 22kw CP to replace it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

peposhi wrote: »
    Slight update on the works on the new charging points at Junction 14 Mayfield (to be confirmed):

So does that mean it will be a 12 car site? 6 CCS & 6 CHAdeMO?

or a 6 car site with 3 & 3

Whatever it is, my guess is there'll be too many CHAdeMO plugs....

Carrick-on-Shannon is seemingly gone live with a 150kW unit as well as a 50kW unit

Good location for such a set up in fairness with the traffic to/from Sligo, as well as the boat rental places in the summer.. (though the AC22 located outside Carrick Craft is a brilliant location too, I used it before & after our week on the Shannon last summer, and unloaded/loaded the car while it was slowly charging..)

12 and eventually 16 car site as far as I understood.
    No info on what charger they are installing yet so can’t tell if it’s 6/6 ChaDeMo/CCS, but they are all high power DC units.
    The cabling is big enough to allow the future extension (which will prove to be too little in years to come in my opinion).

12 and eventually 16 car site as far as I understood.
    No info on what charger they are installing yet so can’t tell if it’s 6/6 ChaDeMo/CCS, but they are all high power DC units.
    The cabling is big enough to allow the future extension (which will prove to be too little in years to come in my opinion).

high power CCS but one can plug in a little 24kWh leaf while I'm charging at 120kW and limit my power? Stupid, stupid idea. Especially as the months and years pass, and the number of CCS cars start to really outnumber chademo.

If they have 6 stalls it should be 3 with 2* CCS and 3 with 1*CCS and 1* chademo imo. No point installing dead tech.

• Advertisement

If they have 6 stalls it should be 3 with 2* CCS and 3 with 1*CCS and 1* chademo imo. No point installing dead tech.

Will let you know once I know more.
    I guess it has been decided already and soon to be revealed.

Will let you know once I know more.
    I guess it has been decided already and soon to be revealed.

Are you local to the site? If so, can you keep some photo’s coming in? Really interested in seeing how this location is developed....

Also, I suppose a cover over the high power electricity dispensers would be too much to ask!!!! (I didn’t see any in the ESB mock up, so I’m guessing no.)

Oh good, I was worried ESB were going to be doing a good job there. Order has thankfully been restored to the universe :D

4th charging unit coming in 2031 no doubt

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Carrick-on-Shannon is seemingly gone live with a 150kW unit as well as a 50kW unit

Good location for such a set up in fairness with the traffic to/from Sligo, as well as the boat rental places in the summer.. (though the AC22 located outside Carrick Craft is a brilliant location too, I used it before & after our week on the Shannon last summer, and unloaded/loaded the car while it was slowly charging..)

Don't see it on the app yet.

Pretty sure that's double the number of chargers they're installing, from the pictures it's 4 (now 3) dual plug units, 8 cars max

If they'd kept the old fast charger they could put 2 Chademo plugs in it and just have the HPCs as CCS only. Or 1 Chademo on a high power unit and kept the 50kW as a triple plug unit

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pretty sure that's double the number of chargers they're installing, from the pictures it's 4 (now 3) dual plug units, 8 cars max

If they'd kept the old fast charger they could put 2 Chademo plugs in it and just have the HPCs as CCS only. Or 1 Chademo on a high power unit and kept the 50kW as a triple plug unit
    Old fcp unit doesn't do load sharing, but yeah, could of removed the CCS head. That'd be prejudice against leaf drivers though! Even though they're incapable of taking anything near 150kW

Old fcp unit doesn't do load sharing, but yeah, could of removed the CCS head. That'd be prejudice against leaf drivers though! Even though they're incapable of taking anything near 150kW

Tbh I'm still unconvinced that the hub will be capable of supplying 150kW

I'll believe it when I see it

Tbh I'm still unconvinced that the hub will be capable of supplying 150kW

I'll believe it when I see it

Lol can we have a hub that doesn't throttle the 50 Kw to around 35 Kw ? that would be nice.

I might pop in to Kilcullen on the way home some evening and see if the 50 Kw is still throttled, this might happen only when a car plugs into the 150 Kw.

It's a really sad situation, a 50 Kw or less capable EV driver is forced to pay more to use a higher power charger, it's a joke, they should only be forced to pay more should the car actually receive higher power but you can find a car capable of more than 50 Kw on the 50 Kw while the 50 Kw or less is on the 150 Kw, you couldn't make it up if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

a 50 Kw or less capable EV driver is forced to pay more to use a higher power charger, it's a joke, they should only be forced to pay more should the car actually receive higher power

No, I disagree. The higher power charger itself costs more & even more again to provision. It should cost more to use.
    It's not eCars fault your car is older tech :p.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    No, I disagree. The higher power charger itself costs more & even more again to provision. It should cost more to use.
    It's not eCars fault your car is older tech :p.

I've no problem using the 50 Kw if available and if it can provide 50 Kw and not be throttled.

There should be only 150 Kw chargers at motorway service areas.

It would p1ss me off having to charge at a 50 Kw if a 50 Kw car was using the 150 Kw. It's a waste of a 150 kw charger.

Advertisement