Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Junction14 hub work in progress update

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

peposhi wrote: »

That post promised more than the photo could deliver.

What would you like to see? I’ll take a picture for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Passed earlier.................got a few quick pics..........they're working hard...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

:D.

What would you like to see? I’ll take a picture for you.

Nah, just when I seen "update" I was hoping for something indicating it's almost complete - something to get the end user excited. Maybe I just don't know enough about what you're showing me to know what that progress is. I assume it's groundworks for a substation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Nah, just when I seen "update" I was hoping for something indicating it's almost complete - something to get the end user excited. Maybe I just don't know enough about what you're showing me to know what that progress is. I assume it's groundworks for a substation?

Looks to be the foundations for 8x350KW Ionity Chargers - that or some new bedding plants :-)..

Looks to be the foundations for 8x350KW Ionity Chargers - that or some new bedding plants :-)..

Well if that's foundations for charge points, their placement is shocking... So more likely to be ecars than ionity

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Well if that's foundations for charge points, their placement is shocking... So more likely to be ecars than ionity

The newer high power chargers have the charger remote from the charge point.

The length of the top layer of the path they have removed indicates there should be at least 8 cars parked side by side, as the parking spaces in that section are really wide and in two currently marked spaces you could fit 3 cars. I may be able to find out some more info tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was thinking they looked like graves

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I still cannot fathom why they put the hub there, there's an Ionity hub just up the road

If they'd put it close to cork then they would have been dead handy, the charging hubs would be well spaced along the Dublin to Cork route then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I still cannot fathom why they put the hub there, there's an Ionity hub just up the road

Probably because it was easiest. Likely the existing grid supply was ample & no real effort was required.

We'll have hubs with Ionity, Tesla & eCars chargers all grouped together :(.

Kramer wrote: »
    Probably because it was easiest. Likely the existing grid supply was ample & no real effort was required.

If they could provide some decent services at them, given the congregation of cars charging it would be great. McDonald's and circlek deli/pastries is pretty pathetic. Neither appeals to me, or many I know.

Kramer wrote: »

I think one of the main grid lines passes nearby so you're probably right

You'd think someone like the NTA or whoever would be thinking along the lines of "we need a charging hub every 50km on motorways" and would be tendering out contracts accordingly

But no, as usual the left hand doesn't know where the right finger has been stuck :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What if it’s strategic? Go after Ionity with more chargers just down the road, and cheaper too, and drive them out...

Waiti for them to pull out of Ireland and backfill their sites with ESB supplied units for minimal cost.

What if it’s strategic? Go after Ionity with more chargers just down the road, and cheaper too, and drive them out...

Waiti for them to pull out of Ireland and backfill their sites with ESB supplied units for minimal cost.

That would represent an alarming level of forward thinking from ESB, I'm not sure we're prepared for that

To be frank, I don't see ESB pushing Ionity out, considering a few months ago they managed to have a total meltdown if their IT systems and rendered their entire network inoperable

If Ionity is going to tank it'll be because it's owners lose interest and go and do their own thing

If they'd put it close to cork then they would have been dead handy, the charging hubs would be well spaced along the Dublin to Cork route then

Not sure if you have seen the new station at Junction14. This location is non-stop packed (pre- and past- COVID-19 restrictions). The amount of cars that will be stopping there to charge is way much higher than any of the iOnity sites...

Not sure if you have seen the new station at Junction14. This location is non-stop packed (pre- and past- COVID-19 restrictions). The amount of cars that will be stopping there to charge is way much higher than any of the iOnity sites...

I get it from a traffic point of view and it'll make money, but it'd be nice to see more effort to fill in the massive gaps in the network

However, it's a proper hub from ESB, so I'm going to complain too much

Just looking at the EV sales figures for the first 2 months of 2021;

CCS cars: 1,504
    CHAdeMO cars: 289

CCS outselling CHAdeMO by a factor of 5.2/1 so far in 2021.

will be very interesting so see how J14 Mayfield hub is configured....

The old 'but there are still loads of Leaf's out there' argument gets thinner & thinner by the day when the number of CCS car sales (in just 2021 alone) is roughly 25% of the total number of Leaf's on Irish roads (a number of 5,000 was mentioned last year, but let's assume it's 6,000 as of now.).

The tide has most definitely turned, yet eCars still insist on putting their towel down at the low tide marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

The old 'but there are still loads of Leaf's out there' argument gets thinner & thinner by the day when the number of CCS car sales (in just 2021 alone) is roughly 25% of the total number of Leaf's on Irish roads (a number of 5,000 was mentioned last year, but let's assume it's 6,000 as of now.).

The tide has most definitely turned, yet eCars still insist on putting their towel down at the low tide marker.

So out of those numbers alone you don't want to accommodate 20% of them? Why on earth would you do something like that?

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    So out of those numbers alone you don't want to accommodate 20% of them? Why on earth would you do something like that?

Where did I say I didn't want to accommodate them??

I want the current & future DC chargers installed in a similar ratio.
    So for instance, J14, should be 6 CCS & 2 CHAdeMO (and I'm being generous with 2)

the current sites with a 150kW & 50kW unit side by side (like Kilcullen/Galway Plaza/Athone etc...), should be 3 CCS to 1 CHAdeMO. a CHAdeMO plug should be nowhere near any of those 150kW units in my opinion.

no more of this 50/50 CCS/CHAdeMO split anymore, as it heavily favours drivers of Nissan's

Totted up the nissan sales between 2011 - 2021. Accounts for 5948. 6k wasn't a bad guess.

While the ratio of CHAdeMO : CCS cars on the road is wildly in favour of CCS now, perhaps that's the wrong metric to judge by. Leafs likely require more regular use of the charging network. Put those 2 together and you might say the split should be even!? But what about use cases. If I needed to drive motorways I certainly wouldn't buy a leaf.

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks, CHAdeMO has been occupied 45.8% of the time. CCS the other 54.2% of the time, so the cars on the road don't map to the usage of the network. Though lockdown don't help.

Totted up the nissan sales between 2011 - 2021. Accounts for 5948. 6k wasn't a bad guess.

While the ratio of CHAdeMO : CCS cars on the road is wildly in favour of CCS now, perhaps that's the wrong metric to judge by. Leafs likely require more regular use of the charging network. Put those 2 together and you might say the split should be even!? But what about use cases. If I needed to drive motorways I certainly wouldn't buy a leaf.

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks, CHAdeMO has been occupied 45.8% of the time. CCS the other 54.2% of the time, so the cars on the road don't map to the usage of the network. Though lockdown don't help.

I feel like the best solution is to have 2x 50kW units with Chademo beside the HPCs to stop Leafs hogging the HPC plugs.

Could use the same triple standard units they're installing at the moment, it'd be useful for slower charging CCS cars like the Zoe ZE50. They won't be overpaying for higher power they can't use in that case

That's the way it seems to be done in Norway, a lot of the high power hubs will have a couple of 50kW units as well

In the grand scheme of things it probably wouldn't add much extra costs to the hub

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think anyone is arguing for the removal of CHAdeMO points, it's more of a stop expanding what we already have. Once a particular location has 2xCHAdeMO that's enough to remove the single point of failure problem and there's enough to service the current population.

liamog wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is arguing for the removal of CHAdeMO points, it's more of a stop expanding what we already have. Once a particular location has 2xCHAdeMO that's enough to remove the single point of failure problem and there's enough to service the current population.

Agree but the problem is there's only 1 chademo in most locations now and there seems to be more focus in installing hubs and replacing AC units

liamog wrote: »

Stats don't agree though. Still 45% of in use DC charging sites are down to CHAdeMO. It's on the way down for sure, but since we've flip all DC units per site (95% of the time is just 1) we need more CHAdeMO, but more more CCS.

The 4 unit hub will be a clear indicator of whether ecars are future proofing and being wise to the current climate of cars, or blindly just adding 50:50 split units. I don't *think* there's a need for any hub to have 4 CHAdeMO sockets, but no matter what ecars do, plenty will disagree. 50:50 is probably their safest option initial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just a reminder, eCars pricing for High Power Chargers now gone up to 37c unit for pre-pay/PAYG and 33c for "members"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was that not what it always was?

I think it's just the VAT change, the reduced rate only ran to the end of February.
    Actually, is that the case as I though charging was meant to be at a reduced rate anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was free and then 34.5 cent up to end of Feb, VAT change does not impact it AFAIK

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement