Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

slave1 wrote: »
    Just a reminder, eCars pricing for High Power Chargers now gone up to 37c unit for pre-pay/PAYG and 33c for "members"

Oh dear, Mad_Lad will be even more angry being forced to pay those extortionate rates, when his REx can only take 30kW (cold :p). Meanwhile, some tosser fellow EV driver is pulling 50kW from the 50kW DC charger next to him, paying less :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The penny has dropped in Italy - the sparse few Tesla & Ionity stations are not sufficient. They're rolling out a good motorway network of 4-6 car capable, 300kW+ HPC stations.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/03/01/italys-ev-charging-infrastructure-is-about-to-get-a-high-power-boost/

I bet that'll be complete before eCars commission a second "hub" here :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    The penny has dropped in Italy - the sparse few Tesla & Ionity stations are not sufficient. They're rolling out a good motorway network of 4-6 car capable, 300kW+ HPC stations.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/03/01/italys-ev-charging-infrastructure-is-about-to-get-a-high-power-boost/

I bet that'll be complete before eCars commission a second "hub" here :D.

I dunno, I used to work a few Italian folks who complained about how everything here works way better than back in Italy

I kinda wish someone had gotten a picture of the look of shock on my face :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

It looks like there are going to be 4 DCs at J14N7. I thought they’re installing 6...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

peposhi wrote: »
    It looks like there are going to be 4 DCs at J14N7. I thought they’re installing 6...

It’s supposedly 8 cars charging off 4 twin head units....

And the spacing there between the conduits would back that claim up that it’s an 8 car hub..

I’m guessing 4x CCS & 4x CHAdeMO

• Advertisement

It’s supposedly 8 cars charging off 4 twin head units....

And the spacing there between the conduits would back that claim up that it’s an 8 car hub..

I’m guessing 4x CCS & 4x CHAdeMO

It was mentioned to me 6 chargers going in now and potentially expanded to 8. I guess I had some wires mixed up.
    From what I see on site it's got to be what you suggested or 3 units now (3x CHAdeMO, 3xCCS) and one ready to go but not installed.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It was always going to be 4 units, "8" cars. ESB confirmed it at the ievoa meeting, though they did butcher the slides making it initially sound like much more.
    No doubt socket parity, but hopefully that'll change as soon as they see the usage

Only noticed there, ESB removed a load of charge point sites from their map/app last week. They look to all be ESB offices etc, so not publically available, but the total number of sites I now count is 777, which includes 114 3rd party sites like Qpark etc. Far far far from the "over 1000 units" which ESB regularly claims, or at least fudging the numbers be including private units in that "1000 units" claim.

122 FCP sites
    541 SCP sites

Note: Sites can have multiple units per site, but this isn't a concept ECars are very familiar with.

Any updates from J14??? Anyone regularly pass there, or live close by that could go and spy the site?

i'd imagine it'll still be largely only groundworks... and the charge units will be the last thing to be installed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Only noticed there, ESB removed a load of charge point sites from their map/app last week. They look to all be ESB offices etc, so not publically available, but the total number of sites I now count is 777, which includes 114 3rd party sites like Qpark etc. Far far far from the "over 1000 units" which ESB regularly claims, or at least fudging the numbers be including private units in that "1000 units" claim.

122 FCP sites
    541 SCP sites

I'd suspect the 541 is actually considered 1082 since they each have 2 sockets?

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I'd suspect the 541 is actually considered 1082 since they each have 2 sockets?
    ESB operates and maintains approximately 1,100 public charge points across the island of Ireland.

Could say the triple heads are 3 then. Number seems to be pulled somewhat from nowhere. They did have ~ 1000 charge point sites under their app at some point, but that's been doing down a lot of late.

image.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Passed by the new Athlone "hub", looks ready to go?

IMG-20210305-092400.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Passed by the new Athlone "hub", looks ready to go?

IMG-20210305-092400.jpg

Actually that's not too bad. I thought the units would be in the parking spaces, but that setup might just allow a leaf parking normally, and a CCS car doing gymnastics (depending on charge port accessibility) to both charge. ie. if the left bay is a leaf, and I pull up in my ioniq, I could park on the hashed lines to make the cable reach. I'd be blocking pedestrians, but that's the route ECars decided to go.

This site is live now on the app

The 150kW is active, and the 50kW unit is unavailable for CCS/CHAdeMO (but the AC is showing green)

I can see a situation where a car is parked in the middle space, plugged into AC, and abandoned for the day/night..... halving the usable plugs on the 150kW unit... while also causing issues for a CCS car's ability to use space '3' (CCS cars with charge port on left rear side).

or can the 50kW unit only charge 1 car at a time (so if using AC, CCS/CHAdeMO are unavailable)? Otherwise why 3 spaces if 4 cars can charge simultaneously at that location???

There should be 4 spaces and they should be marked as follows;
    Space 1: CCS/CHAdeMO-2
    Space 2: CCS/CHAdeMO-1
    Space 3: CCS/CHAdeMO/AC
    Space 4: AC Only

The numbering on the CHAdeMO spaces is so that CHAdeMO-1 is the space a Leaf should take if they arrive and spaces 1 & 2 are both available, as it then keeps space 2 free for CCS cars, the majority of which have their charge port on the rear left side.

This site is live now on the app

The 150kW is active, and the 50kW unit is unavailable for CCS/CHAdeMO (but the AC is showing green)

All green now

All is not quiet.
    Over the last 2 weeks about 17 sites have had their old crappy AC units replaced with the new eVolve Smart T AC units.

Glebe Street, Mohill, Leitrim
    The Square, Listowel, Kerry
    Irish Rail, Mary Street, Arklow, Wicklow
    Off Chapel Lane, Callan, Kilkenny
    Fair Green Car Park, Off Gaol Road, Kilkenny City, Kilkenny
    Market Square, Longford, Longford
    Parnell Square West, Outside Rotunda Hospital, Dublin 1
    Finglas Road, Dublin, Dublin 11
    Greenhills Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12
    Main Street, Bailieborough, Cavan
    Kincora Road, Clontarf, Dublin 3
    Sportsfield Road, Sneem, Kerry
    Thorncastle Street, Ringsend, Dublin 4 X2
    Irish Rail Dalkey DART Station, Ardeveehan Road, Dalkey, Dublin X2
    Town Centre Car Park, Off Main Street, Roscommon Town, Roscommon X2
    Greek Street, Dublin 1
    Mark Street, Dublin 2

Only 175+ units to go to replace those unreliable ones.
    No fast units though, and they've only delivered 17 of the 50 promised AC->DC upgrades so far. The initial list of AC->DC units to be converted has been completed though, hopefully IEVOA can get a fresh set of plans from ECars.

I should probably keep this more up to date.

245 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.
    153 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 21 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

A rough idea of what's been upgraded since the middle of January:

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit 153 remaining
    Glebe Street, Mohill, Leitrim
    Greenhills Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12
    Irish Rail Dalkey DART Station, Ardeveehan Road, Dalkey, Dublin
    Irish Rail, Mary Street, Arklow, Wicklow
    Main Street, Bailieborough, Cavan
    Main Street, Stranorlar, Donegal
    Hospital Car Park, Kilmacrennan Road, Letterkenny, Donegal
    St. Agnes Road, Crumlin, Dublin 12
    Public Car Parking, Finnegan's Way, Off Castle Street, Trim, Meath
    Irish Rail, Church Street, Athenry, Galway
    Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2
    Rathfarnham Shopping Centre
    Bus Station Car Park, Donore Road, Drogheda, Louth
    North Wall Quay, Dublin 1
    Irish Rail Blackrock DART Station, Bath Place, Blackrock, Dublin
    Irish Rail, Carrickmacross Road, Dundalk, Louth
    Supervalu Car Park, Off Kickham Street, Clonmel, Tipperary
    Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
    Public Car Park, Kennedy Street, Carlow Town, Carlow
    Public Car Park, East End, Kilkee, Clare
    Off Society Street, Ballinasloe, Galway
    Irish Rail, Station Rd, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
    Louis Convent, Castle Street, Carrickmacross, Monaghan
    Cork County Hall, Carrigrohane Road, Sunday's Well, Cork City, Cork
    Milk Market, Mungret Court, Limerick City, Limerick
    Public Car Park, Off Wellington Place-Redmond Place, Wexford Town, Wexford
    Abbey Street, Wexford, Wexford
    Davitts Quay, Dungarvan, Waterford
    Kenmare Road, Glengariff, Cork
    95 Glanmire Road, Cork City, Cork
    The Green, Sixmilebridge, Clare
    Pery Street, Limerick City, Limerick

AC units upgraded to DC - 19 of the 50 delivered
    Ballymahon Road, Athlone, Westmeath

New FCP
    Kilmartin N6 Service Station, Dublin road, Athlone, Co.Westmeath, Ireland

I can see a situation where a car is parked in the middle space, plugged into AC, and abandoned for the day/night..... halving the usable plugs on the 150kW unit... while also causing issues for a CCS car's ability to use space '3' (CCS cars with charge port on left rear side).

or can the 50kW unit only charge 1 car at a time (so if using AC, CCS/CHAdeMO are unavailable)? Otherwise why 3 spaces if 4 cars can charge simultaneously at that location???

There should be 4 spaces and they should be marked as follows;
    Space 1: CCS/CHAdeMO-2
    Space 2: CCS/CHAdeMO-1
    Space 3: CCS/CHAdeMO/AC
    Space 4: AC Only

The numbering on the CHAdeMO spaces is so that CHAdeMO-1 is the space a Leaf should take if they arrive and spaces 1 & 2 are both available, as it then keeps space 2 free for CCS cars, the majority of which have their charge port on the rear left side.

I agree with your line of thinking but with current length of cable and charge ports all over the place on EV's who knows what Tetris could be involved

I agree with your line of thinking but with current length of cable and charge ports all over the place on EV's who knows what Tetris could be involved

Yeah there's no real perfect solution (or maybe there is), but there is a solution that's better than how ecars currently lay out their sites....

2 Leaf's could park in space 1 and 2 there at that site, and block out all CCS options... while both taking the full 45 minutes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think this is why the fuel forecourt design wins out IMO

Car makers never agreed which side the fuel cap goes on so fuel stations have hoses on either side

EV chargers should be the same, plugs either side, CCS only 1 side and CCS/Chademo the other

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

So how's the expansion going?

How many new FCPs have been installed in last 12 months?

5?

Instead of using Covid intermission to install as much as possible with basically no disruption due to low traffic etc they did feck all.

Has to be more than 5, 3 in Athlone alone

McGiver wrote: »
    So how's the expansion going?

How many new FCPs have been installed in last 12 months?

5?

Instead of using Covid intermission to install as much as possible with basically no disruption due to low traffic etc they did feck all.

Lots of new fcp. Kells, Westport, clifden, ballina, Dingle, kenmare, Athlone X 3, Galway city, one up in Donegal I think, dungarvan, Waterford city, clonmel. Those are just the ones I can think off the top of my head.

If you're asking about new sites, then yeah, it's much less. Pretty much just the hubs, though I can't exactly remember when they came online.

Lots of new fcp. Kells, Westport, clifden, ballina, Dingle, kenmare, Athlone X 3, Galway city, one up in Donegal I think, dungarvan, Waterford city, clonmel. Those are just the ones I can think off the top of my head.

If you're asking about new sites, then yeah, it's much less. Pretty much just the hubs, though I can't exactly remember when they came online.

That's 12. Are these additions or replacements?
    I'm asking about new chargers/connectors, not replacements.

Edit: or in other words - how many CCS connectors are there now in the ecars network vs 12 months ago.

Actually that's not too bad. I thought the units would be in the parking spaces, but that setup might just allow a leaf parking normally, and a CCS car doing gymnastics (depending on charge port accessibility) to both charge. ie. if the left bay is a leaf, and I pull up in my ioniq, I could park on the hashed lines to make the cable reach. I'd be blocking pedestrians, but that's the route ECars decided to go.
    It's balls. Regardless.
    I think this is why the fuel forecourt design wins out IMO
    Exactly...

This is how you do it... Switzerland federal government is building 100 of these hubs at rest areas on the federal core motorway network. Requirements are multiple FCPs, on site battery storage and pAYG payments with all cards available in Switzerland.

gofast_oftringen_schweiz.jpg

Tullamore got an FCP too now

Two in Athlone are Brand New, a 150 high power and a 50 rapid, the third was a dual 22kW which was replaced with a 44 rapid

If you include the new service station then Athlone has (via various providers)

4 x 350kW
    1 x 150kW
    3 x 50kW
    1 x 44kW
    4 x 22kW

If you include the new service station then Athlone has (via various providers)

4 x 350kW
    1 x 150kW
    3 x 50kW
    1 x 44kW
    4 x 22kW

Where are the 4x350kW located, slave1?

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    That's 12. Are these additions or replacements?
    I'm asking about new chargers/connectors, not replacements.

Edit: or in other words - how many CCS connectors are there now in the ecars network vs 12 months ago.

New, mostly replacing AC units. Those are the 12 I can think of. I'll pull some facts later on for you sire.

Advertisement