Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

8 cars.......... as long as 4 of them are Leaf's

Couple of us Tesla owners can CHAdeMO don't forget

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    With the price of public charging now is it not cheaper to only charge a phev at home and just use petrol when the battery is empty?

I did the math a while back and it's still just barely cheaper to charge than use petrol. You'd be walking out every 45 mins to reconnect the charger however unless you want to get hit with the overstay

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »

That limited to 50kW yeah? A waste on those 150kW units

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

slave1 wrote: »

True, though I'd have thought most at this stage would have went for the CCS upgrade, but still a very useful ace card to be able to play if arriving at one of the 150kW & 50kW sites where there's only a CHAdeMO available...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

I guess Oranmore is nice when doing a Galway-Cork run, but still nothing between Cork and Limerick.
    Oranmore? There's no motorway in Oranmore. Must be a mistake. And no FCP either.

Is it a new site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I did the math a while back and it's still just barely cheaper to charge than use petrol. You'd be walking out every 45 mins to reconnect the charger however unless you want to get hit with the overstay
    Thats to be expected as SEAI have a target of 80% charging will be done at home so the pricing is there to keep them open for folk that need them and not the freeloaders in the pre charging regime

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thats to be expected as SEAI have a target of 80% charging will be done at home so the pricing is there to keep them open for folk that need them and not the freeloaders in the pre charging regime

Yeah but there's a big section of society which is being excluded from doing that because they don't have a driveway. And there isn't always an SCP in a convenient location to leave the car on charge

This is why I think BEVs and REXs beat PHEVs IMO, they have fast charging and proper sized batteries, so if you're in a situation where you need to rely on fast charging then you can realistically do it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved discussion of local authority chargers to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058084894

Not sure where the unit was, but my stats say a unit with the address EFACECQC0200 was removed from the ESB app today. Guessing it was a test unit they had.

124 fast chargers in by ecars in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

124 fast chargers in by ecars in Ireland now.

Poor. And instead of adding 10 per month, they're adding 10 per year. Won't cut it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone know if there's a way to filter only 43/50KW chargers with the ESB ecars app?

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a way to filter only 43/50KW chargers with the ESB ecars app?

Just filter for all DC chargers, as there are only 6 sites with a 150kW unit, but they are all located beside 50kW units....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Given that the travel restrictions are being slightly lifted today, I hope to get out to my nearest high power charger this week at the Galway Plaza.

I haven't been there before so was wondering what the etiquette is when/if there's a queue? I know it's first come first served, but do any of the providers have spaces for cars waiting until the chargers become free or do you just make your own line beside the charger?

What's the largest queue you've seen at a charger and how many cars would put you off from waiting and just drive to the next charger if you have enough range? I guess the one way to resolve this would be to have more chargers, but the rollout seems very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

cannco253 wrote: »
    Given that the travel restrictions are being slightly lifted today, I hope to get out to my nearest high power charger this week at the Galway Plaza.

I haven't been there before so was wondering what the etiquette is when/if there's a queue? I know it's first come first served, but do any of the providers have spaces for cars waiting until the chargers become free or do you just make your own line beside the charger?

What's the largest queue you've seen at a charger and how many cars would put you off from waiting and just drive to the next charger if you have enough range? I guess the one way to resolve this would be to have more chargers, but the rollout seems very slow.

Largest Q i've seen is 2 (basically arriving as someone else just arrived)
    Use the app to time your arrival.

It's first come first served. I've charged at the Galway Plaza and there is a 150 and an older 50, so technically 3 can DC fast charge. U should be ok there and not too many people in EVs on long runs. You can see how long the last charge session is running, so use this info. When road tripping I usually plan it so I can reach 3 different DC chargers, so you have X3 options if one is in use or decides to break.

jusmeig wrote: »
    I've charged at the Galway Plaza and there is a 150 and an older 50, so technically 3 can DC fast charge

just as long as one of them is a Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

just as long as one of them is a Leaf

Or an Outlander.....:D.

Model S with CHAdeMo adapters too (which I encountered one day at the Galway Plaza "hub") & Lexus BEVs.

I reckon utilisation could get back to pre charging for charging levels this summer, at some locations, with the hundreds of new, large battery BEVs on the roads, all chomping at the bit to both travel & finally get to drive their new cars (& save penguins).

AC units are in much bigger demand today vs last Monday. Probably indicative of people heading to town or other towns in their county.

Today (so far)
    image.png
    Last Monday:
    image.png

Fast charge points
    Today (so far):
    image.png

Last Monday:
    image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Kramer wrote: »
    Or an Outlander.....:D.

Model S with CHAdeMo adapters too (which I encountered one day at the Galway Plaza "hub") & Lexus BEVs.

I reckon utilisation could get back to pre charging for charging levels this summer, at some locations, with the hundreds of new, large battery BEVs on the roads, all chomping at the bit to both travel & finally get to drive their new cars (& save penguins).

Outlander -> outlawed, my phone battery is bigger :D

AC units are in much bigger demand today vs last Monday. Probably indicative of people heading to town or other towns in their county.

Today (so far)
    image.png
    Last Monday:
    image.png

Fast charge points
    Today (so far):
    image.png

Last Monday:
    image.png

Ah, granted last Monday was a bank holiday, thus less AC charging when going to work..
    Based on last Tuesday things seem a bit busier though.

Yesterday vs last Tuesday (Monday being a bank holiday) there was about an extra 24 hours of DC usage.

Big spike in CCS at the end of the day as everyone went home.

All in all, nothing much different than any other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Let's see what the stats will be like this weekend, the first one since the 5k limit was relaxed.
    I know I'll be going for a drive, within my county of course.

cannco253 wrote: »
    Let's see what the stats will be like this weekend, the first one since the 5k limit was relaxed.
    I know I'll be going for a drive, within my county of course.

I wouldn't say it'll have a huge effect... perhaps maybe in some of the larger counties, but I'd say the vast majority of journeys this weekend will be done without the need for a charging stop.. I know I can see most of Dublin on a full charge anyway..

Now when we are allowed travel nationwide........ that'll be a different story!!

Not sure if ESB update this page in small increments, but I didn't notice this before:

https://www.esb.ie/ecars/our-network/network-upgrades
    ESB is continuing to assess other suitable sites on motorways and national road networks, with the aim of delivering over fifty high power (50-150kW) charging hubs. These hubs can provide up to 100km of driving range in as little as six minutes. Final sites are based on a range of factors including current charge point usage, traffic volume, accessibility, amenities and grid capacity. More site locations will be announced in the coming months. The project will run until 2023.

So 2 and a half years to install over 44 more hubs. I count 6 at the moment.

Dreamland. I'd be impressed if we had 1 by then (at the rate they're installing now)

wasn't it accepted though that what we have in Kilcullen, Kells etc is what eCars calls a hub.

1x 150kW & 1x 50kW unit

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

They have (50-150kW) as a high power hub in their update. So adding one charger to an existing site may count as a 'hub'. M1 Lusk and Castlebellingham could be four hubs by that definition. Airport and Turvey Supermac's, boom six hubs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

wasn't it accepted though that what we have in Kilcullen, Kells etc is what eCars calls a hub.

1x 150kW & 1x 50kW unit

Yep, eCars call a hub a site that can charge between 3 and 8 cars simultaneously.
    They are calling out that the plans calls for 50 sites, this is in line with the first post that indicated 16 hubs 4+ hubs, and 34 HPC at current 50kW locations.
    J14 Mayfield will be the first of the 4+ sites.

1x 150kW & 1x 50kW unit

Correct. We have 6 of those, and a few more planned including the 4 unit hub (an actual hub) at monesterevin. That'll be 10 delivered in 3 years (2018-2021).

They have (50-150kW) as a high power hub in their update. So adding one charger to an existing site may count as a 'hub'. M1 Lusk and Castlebellingham could be four hubs by that definition. Airport and Turvey Supermac's, boom six hubs.

Personally I'd be happy with that result, I pulled into M1 Lusk northbound and saw and E-2008 charging. I didn't need to charge but I'd be sickened if I did, I could be waiting for nearly an hour

Still better than the time I was queueing in Drogheda behind an E-Tron and and I Pace for the free 50kW unit in Lidl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Personally I'd be happy with that result, I pulled into M1 Lusk northbound and saw and E-2008 charging. I didn't need to charge but I'd be sickened if I did, I could be waiting for nearly an hour

Still better than the time I was queueing in Drogheda behind an E-Tron and and I Pace for the free 50kW unit in Lidl :(

Freedom isn't free and all that. I'd be happy with those services having the second one put it in, more disagree that two DC units is considered a hub.

I've blocked cars on three separate occasions between these locations and I've reported an issue on the app that there is only one charger but two plinths and ducting. The sooner easy targets like these are done the better.

• Advertisement

Correct. We have 6 of those, and a few more planned including the 4 unit hub (an actual hub) at monesterevin. That'll be 10 delivered in 3 years (2018-2021).

Not bad for a programme that started in 2019 with a tendering process.

Advertisement