Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No local AC options to utilise for a few hours upon arrival? At a Tesco perhaps?

That would be my plan if ever visiting family far away enough to need a charge to get home….. park up at the nearest AC unit and get a lift back to the in-laws, then a lift back to get the car a few hours later….

I don't think I could stand the comments about having to leave the car at a charger and how it only takes 2 mins to fill a petrol car (the time to drive to the petrol station doesn't count of course)

I'd take the 3 pin option and a DC top up en route

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't think I could stand the comments about having to leave the car at a charger and how it only takes 2 mins to fill a petrol car (the time to drive to the petrol station doesn't count of course)

I'd take the 3 pin option and a DC top up en route

Nah, I’d counter it with “you actually have to stand there for the 2 minutes putting the petrol in, when I charge my car, it charges while I do other things, or do nothing at all”

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No local AC options to utilise for a few hours upon arrival? At a Tesco perhaps?

That would be my plan if ever visiting family far away enough to need a charge to get home….. park up at the nearest AC unit and get a lift back to the in-laws, then a lift back to get the car a few hours later….

Nope. Nearest 22kW unit would be about 15 minute drive away, and sure nothing will be open to busy ourselves with. We'll be grand though. Plenty of options in the grand scheme of things. Be interesting to see what range the id4 gets us.

Yes, absolutely…… there are a lot of folk out there with new 211 EV’s who want to bring them for a proper stretch……

I’ll happily plod away all day long going somewhere for a day trip that’s outside my range limit…..

I did a close to 700km drive one day back in February (Dublin - Cork - Dublin), and felt fresh as a daily by the time we got home (thanks autopilot) and could have easily done another few hours driving if I needed to…

There’ll be a lot of folk that the drive itself will be the day trip……

Will be very interesting to see Black Knight’s usage stats from May 1st - 9th, and then again from May 10th-20th….. I’m guessing there’ll be an awful lot of people using DC chargers for the first time this May..

I know the 1st weekend after May 10th we’ll be heading up to Newry for a trip (I won’t need a charge on the way up or down, but might still stop at the supercharger on the way back to use up some of my free km’s), so will be interesting to see how busy the lonely 50kW eCars unit is while I’m plugged into 1 of 8 Superchargers..

I really want to try get some useful and easily digestible metrics out to folks.
    Busy times per charger
    Usage between sockets
    Downtime per charger/socket

Really want to get at it asap. Ideally to have something for when lockdown ends.... No chance

I really want to try get some useful and easily digestible metrics out to folks.
    Busy times per charger
    Usage between sockets
    Downtime per charger/socket

Really want to get at it asap. Ideally to have something for when lockdown ends.... No chance

Downtime is something I really think needs to be tracked, until we have proper hubs then losing a DC charger can open up a pretty gaping hole in the network

It'd be fun to bring it up at an IEVOA meeting, since they seem to be the only people who ever speak to ESB

• Advertisement

Downtime is something I really think needs to be tracked, until we have proper hubs then losing a DC charger can open up a pretty gaping hole in the network

It'd be fun to bring it up at an IEVOA meeting, since they seem to be the only people who ever speak to ESB

Well ESB are convinced they have over 1100 charge points in the island of Ireland but I count nowhere near that. 770 odd iirc. So fat chance of them admitting facts are factual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Meanwhile, in the sprawling metropolis that is Rugby in the UK we had this opening few days back, oh and a Tesla supercharger missing from first pic...Electric Highway and Tesla, new 24 charger setup and lovely long cables on the EH units of which half are CCS only.
    Together that’s 24 350kW chargers.

714434.jpeg

714435.jpeg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

slave1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the sprawling metropolis that is Rugby in the UK we had this opening few days back, oh and a Tesla supercharger missing from first pic...Electric Highway and Tesla, new 24 charger setup and lovely long cables on the EH units of which half are CCS only.
    Together that’s 24 350kW chargers.

This bugs me most. How others are capable? We're told it is so hard to have xx MW available, it is so expensive ,it is so .. full of BS.
    Tesla installed a supercharger on Mount Everest @ over 4000 m above the sea level while we debate if 2x22 kW AC replacement with 50kW DC would be worth it in 2 years time.

Reading this section in electrive is so frustrating. Every country announces GW of stations added to the network and we're nowhere.
    https://www.electrive.com/category/energy-infrastructure/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Rugby is halfway between London and Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, and a lot of other major UK cities. Not to mention people heading further north.

UK *is* on a much different magnitude to Ireland.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Rugby is halfway between London and Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, and a lot of other major UK cities. Not to mention people heading further north.

UK *is* on a much different magnitude to Ireland.

I think I heard a comment some months ago that the UK is installing more fast chargers every month than there are fast chargers in Ireland

• Advertisement

I think I heard a comment some months ago that the UK is installing more fast chargers every month than there are fast chargers in Ireland

Tesla are deffo ploughing them in anyhow, 66 new chargers installed in 8 new locations and 27 new locations in various stages for remainder of 2021

Going to try do this at the start of each month.

CCS/CHAdeMO split
    My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:
    CHAdeMO has been occupied 44.4% of the time.
    CCS the other 55.6% of the time
    Though lockdown don't help.

Unit counts
    125 Fast charge units installed
    543 Slow charge AC units installed

262 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.
    142 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 19 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit
    Strand Road, Bray, Wicklow
    Main Street, Dundrum, Dublin 14
    Irish Rail, Western Relief Road (R443) Kilcruttin, Tullamore, Offaly
    Irish Rail Mallow Station, Limerick Road, Mallow, Cork
    Irish Rail Station, Railway Road, Charleville, Cork
    McCurtain Street Car Park, Mullingar, Westmeath
    County Hall Car Park, Off Maudlin Street, Kilkenny City, Kilkenny
    Public Car Park, Off South Street, New Ross, Wexford
    Irish Rail Plunkett Station, Dock Road, Abbeylands, Waterford
    Irish Rail Car Park, Portarlington, Co. Laois
    Yeats Tavern & Davis' Restaurant, Sligo-Bundoran Road (N15), Drumcliffe, Sligo
    Market Yard Car Park, Main Street, Ballyshannon, Donegal
    Public Car Park, Quay Street, Donegal Town, Donegal
    New Street (R293), Ballaghadreen, Roscommon

AC units upgraded to DC - 19 of the 50 delivered
    None

New FCP
    None

April Update
    CCS/CHAdeMO split
    My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:
    CHAdeMO has been occupied 40.6% of the time. (7.41 weeks of use)
    CCS the other 59.4% of the time (10.86 weeks of use)

Unit counts
    131 Fast charge units installed (Up 6)
    533 Slow charge AC units installed (down 10 - all are AC-DC replacements, some were 2 single socket AC units being replaced with DC)

268 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.
    131 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 15 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit
    Dock Road, Dunmore East, Waterford
    Wolfe Tone Square, Tubbercurry, Sligo
    Public Car Park, Strand Road, Falcarragh, Donegal
    Public Car Park, Nailors Row, Buncrana, Donegal
    Main Street, Belmullet, Mayo
    Church Street, Wicklow Town, Wicklow

AC units upgraded to DC - 29 of the 50 delivered Bit of a vague number, this is 29 of those units installed, but they're being installed at the "hubs" too.
    Blackhall Car Park, Off Mount Street, Mullingar, Westmeath
    Marian Hall Car Park, Off William Street, Birr, Offaly
    Garda Station Car Park, Off Lymington Road, Enniscorthy, Wexford
    Barrack Lane, New Ross, Wexford
    Public Car Park, Vicar Street, Tuam, Galway
    Market Street, Carrickmacross, Monaghan
    Fire Brigade Car Park, New Road, Kinsale, Cork
    Dolphin's Place, Youghal, Cork

New FCP
    None

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I tried that new 50KW charger in Enniscothy this evening while I was bringing the dog for a walk. I was gone for about 45 minutes but the car stopped charging after about 30 minutes for some reason.

Is there a time limit on these units?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Could be true, the population there provides an actual market to tap into.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I tried that new 50KW charger in Enniscothy this evening while I was bringing the dog for a walk. I was gone for about 45 minutes but the car stopped charging after about 30 minutes for some reason.

Shouldn't be. Guessing this is you. Charged for 30 minutes then the unit went into a CCS "FINISHING" state for 5-10 minutes. Typically i've only ever seen that finishing state for short periods of time.

What state of charge were you at after 30 minutes?

image.png

Shouldn't be. Guessing this is you. Charged for 30 minutes then the unit went into a CCS "FINISHING" state for 5-10 minutes. Typically i've only ever seen that finishing state for short periods of time.

What state of charge were you at after 30 minutes?

image.png

Started at 13% and finished at 57%. I checked my app twice on the walk, it was giving me 6km per minute. The second time I checked was about 35 minutes after plugging in and the charge had stopped.

Started at 13% and finished at 57%. I checked my app twice on the walk, it was giving me 6km per minute. The second time I checked was about 35 minutes after plugging in and the charge had stopped.

Odd. Unless someone reset the unit. :confused:

MJohnston wrote: »
    Could be true, the population there provides an actual market to tap into.

True, they also have multiple providers there so there's some actual competition

I feel like there's a lot more ambition with their plans, there seems to be a genuine desire to provide a high quality charging network

Over here, we get plans from ESB constantly being revised downwards and no-one else is bothering to get involved

Odd. Unless someone reset the unit. :confused:

Can someone stop the charge without my card? Like I said I never used one of the 50KW units before so not familiar with the way they work.

I'll use this one again to use up my free VW credit as it's handy to park there and bring the dog for a walk in less than an hour which should fully charge the car or thereabouts.

innrain wrote: »
    This bugs me most. How others are capable? We're told it is so hard to have xx MW available, it is so expensive ,it is so .. full of BS.
    Tesla installed a supercharger on Mount Everest @ over 4000 m above the sea level while we debate if 2x22 kW AC replacement with 50kW DC would be worth it in 2 years time.

Reading this section in electrive is so frustrating. Every country announces GW of stations added to the network and we're nowhere.
    https://www.electrive.com/category/energy-infrastructure/

To be fair we've only got something like 4GW of generation capacity ;)

But you make an excellent point, what's the difference between installing a 1MW connection in Ireland versus other countries in Europe?

I can understand if there's a bit of a premium for installing at a motorway service station in the middle of nowhere, but on the edge of a city or medium sized town there would already be a high capacity grid connection

Obviously since our electricity network is monopolised by a single company there's not going to be much competition on price. But the same situation exists in many other countries and they don't seem to have problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I had the same problem at a different one a few days ago. Car stopped charging long before the 45 minutes overstay charge took effect and before it hit the configured maximum charge on the car. I was in a rush and didn't have time to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Can someone stop the charge without my card? Like I said I never used one of the 50KW units before so not familiar with the way they work.

I'll use this one again to use up my free VW credit as it's handy to park there and bring the dog for a walk in less than an hour which should fully charge the car or thereabouts.

Don't forget there is a charge of 24C/minute after 45 minutes using your VW card.
    The only consolation is that ECars don't often seem to be charging VW (In other words us:)) My last few ECars charges have yet to show up on my credit.

Obviously since our electricity network is monopolised by a single company there's not going to be much competition on price. But the same situation exists in many other countries and they don't seem to have problems

Do you mean ESB Networks or Electric Ireland? I would have thought most (sane) countries had a single DSO per region so no different to ESBN here.

eagerv wrote: »
    Don't forget there is a charge of 24C/minute after 45 minutes using your VW card.
    The only consolation is that ECars don't often seem to be charging VW (In other words us:)) My last few ECars charges have yet to show up on my credit.

The route I take the dog is about 45 minutes so I'd be close enough to an overstay but i don't mind paying that.

I've only 2700km on the car so far and charged on public chargers for less than 50KW so I've still the majority of the free credit to use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Over here, we get plans from ESB constantly being revised downwards and no-one else is bothering to get involved

We pretty much had a do nothing plan from eCars until 2019, and then a plan issued (as per post 1 of this thread) which they have been delivering against. By all means eCars may have a lack of vision but its incorrect to claim its being revised downwards.

liamog wrote: »
    We pretty much had a do nothing plan from eCars until 2019, and then a plan issued (as per post 1 of this thread) which they have been delivering against. By all means eCars may have a lack of vision but its incorrect to claim its being revised downwards.

I guess our expectations have been revised downwards. "Hubs" being 2 units. DC installs being replacements of AC, and not along major roads. No more AC installs. I didn't expect these 2 years ago, and they're below the expectations I had for ecars rollout when announced.

Being a relatively small island and relatively well off makes it all so worse.
    We could be an example to the world and instead incentives were taken away and cut back way before market numbers supported same, such a lack of foresight is a damning example of ineptitude on behalf of our so called government.
    Charging should be free, car tax should be free, no import duties, no VAT, no tolls, free parking, access to bus lanes.
    These should all be in black and white with clear end date e.g. 20% EVs on the road, then clear tapering of incentives associated with clear steps e.g. 30% EVs on the road, 40% etc.

Last year Norway reached 54% EV market share and still there is no VAT, no import duties, 50% toll rate, no road tax, 50% parking rate and access to bus lanes.

Even if no proper foresight exists have the gov never heard of copy and paste.
    We will never reach anywhere near our targets, it’s as simple as that.

I guess our expectations have been revised downwards. "Hubs" being 2 units. DC installs being replacements of AC, and not along major roads. No more AC installs. I didn't expect these 2 years ago, and they're below the expectations I had for ecars rollout when announced.

Couldn't have said it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

eagerv wrote: »
    4x April esb charging session showed up on yesterday's bill. Bit I think I'm missing multiples between December and April.

• Advertisement

Another queue at Stillorgan Luas FCP. Sunday morning at 11am, hardly peak times.

I dread travelling at busy times like back holiday weekends in future.

Advertisement