Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eagerv wrote: »
    Possibly the new unit isn't yet registered on the VW card.

No it worked for 30 minutes yesterday evening and then cut out so I'm not sure if that was the issue.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I tried the Enniscothy unit again today and it wouldn't charge at all. Got a warning that it was failing to connect.

Went to Ionity in Gorey then and the car charged fine (6km/min but I arrived with a decent amount in the battery) so must be some issue with the eCars unit?

Did you report it to ecars? The unit isn't showing any faults at the moment (or much today other than a fault in the morning and one this evening, but no charging at all today), but being a new unit ecars might be open to investigating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

No it worked for 30 minutes yesterday evening and then cut out so I'm not sure if that was the issue.

Ok, because the new triple heads in New Ross and Enniscorthy are still only showing as 22kW units on the WeCharge app. I had problems somewhere else before and had to start with the ECars card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

eagerv wrote: »
    Ok, because the new triple heads in New Ross and Enniscorthy are still only showing as 22kW units on the WeCharge app.

I'll be needing to probably use one of those two very soon - hope neither are broken/dodgy. I'll report back......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Kramer wrote: »
    I'll be needing to probably use one of those two very soon - hope neither are broken/dodgy. I'll report back......

Id say the two are working fine with an ECars card or app, just not yet through VW card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you report it to ecars? The unit isn't showing any faults at the moment (or much today other than a fault in the morning and one this evening, but no charging at all today), but being a new unit ecars might be open to investigating it.

No this is the first time I've have had an issue with a public charger. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I think it was around 2pm when I tried to charge.

No this is the first time I've have had an issue with a public charger. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I think it was around 2pm when I tried to charge.

Just tried to report an issue through the app and stumbled upon ecars "keep the report tickets low" hack. They're in app report feature is broken. It requests you to fill in the description even when it's filled in. LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Kramer wrote: »

........ that it's working and everything is okey dokey ;)

Cashel services is an apt juxtaposition between eCars and the other crowd as on the day 3/5 DC chargers were in use. That was before an ID.3 had hit the road with happy/mad new owner on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

How about ecars considering a hyper hub?

https://www.electrive.com/2021/04/29/york-builds-2-ultra-fast-charging-sites-with-abb/

“The scheme was developed to meet the growing demand for chargers as the city’s existing charge points are almost at capacity.

The concept was developed to provide charging for people living without off-street parking where it is difficult to deploy overnight charging. The council said that around 25 per cent of York’s housing stock is made up of terraced housing ie that have no driveways or garages.”

First time I’ve seen a council get involved in charging on this scale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

311 pages and going.

TLDR - ecars suck, and continue to suck.

IEVOA should be telling them off VERY strongly and lobbying for legislation. Instead it colluded with ecars.
    We must push much harder else nothing will happen.

The 2030 goal is obviously bull crap.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    311 pages and going.

TLDR - ecars suck, and continue to suck.

IEVOA should be telling them off VERY strongly and lobbying for legislation. Instead it colluded with ecars.
    We must push much harder else nothing will happen.

The 2030 goal is obviously bull crap.

Ievoa really do softball them questions. Never any interesting questions given to ecars. Flip sake one of their questions last time was "what's happened to the ecars Twitter account?".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As someone who’s spent a lifetime suffering death by PowerPoint etc…… when I watched the eCars guy giving his ‘presentation’ on the IEVOA a while back, it stank of someone who didn’t have a clue what they were talking about, and simply had the PowerPoint given to them by an intern 5 minutes before the meeting started……..

And his attitude in the meeting pretty much summed up eCars as a whole, with a sort of “don’t really give a sh1te” attitude to everything…… certainly that’s how he came across anyhow!!! You’d think the guy would have been a bit more enthusiastic with it all, but it just seemed like he didn’t need/want to be there…..

I didn’t watch long enough for the Q&A afterwards, but pretty much gathered it would be a **** fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You’d think the guy would have been a bit more enthusiastic with it all, but it just seemed like he didn’t need/want to be there…..

Well, it was an IEVOA meeting... :D

But yeah, I think "we don't give a sh!te" might as well be the ESB motto

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The best piece of advice if considering use of the eCars network is to plan on NOT using it, home charging, Ionity and Tesla networks, if you can work around those then you’re sorted

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

cannco253 wrote: »
    How about ecars considering a hyper hub?

https://www.electrive.com/2021/04/29/york-builds-2-ultra-fast-charging-sites-with-abb/

“The scheme was developed to meet the growing demand for chargers as the city’s existing charge points are almost at capacity.

The concept was developed to provide charging for people living without off-street parking where it is difficult to deploy overnight charging. The council said that around 25 per cent of York’s housing stock is made up of terraced housing ie that have no driveways or garages.”

First time I’ve seen a council get involved in charging on this scale

Hyper hub? 3 chargers!! lol

Ievoa really do softball them questions. Never any interesting questions given to ecars. Flip sake one of their questions last time was "what's happened to the ecars Twitter account?".
    No idea
    Thanks
    Anna

At this stage, they should be put to full scale scrutiny and all gloves off. Nothing else will cut it as they were allowed to waffle for way too long wasting our/taxpayers' money.

The questions to be asked are:
    1. What's the ETA for those 50 hubs?
    2. What are the locations?
    3. What is the exact plan - what, when, where, how many?
    4. What's the config of the hubs?

Ask them to create the roadmap, break down to annual plans and comit to it. Review progress ever 6 months.

Scrutinise the locations - throw it back to them in case of issues...

Scrutinise the plan - throw it back to them as unsuitable for 2021 what to speak fo 2030.

Scrutinise the config - throw it back to them as unsuitable for 2021 what to speak of 2030.

But instead we have the IEVOA fellas fiercely defending IEVOA and mocking everyone who disagrees with the status quo of fawning to eCars (that's what happens on the FB age).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would of thought that too, (CCS and CHAdeMO on the 150kW, CCS or CHAdeMO on the 50kW + a Zoe or someone desperate for charge they use the type 2). But ecars Anna said 3 max

Someone tested 2 cars on 50kW triple head charger (one AC and one DC) and they both charged, so Anna is wrong or ESB don't want to admit they can't count.

Ecars site/map down at the moment?

https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger

Hopefully wasn't me :o :pac:

For the last 7 days.
    Address|MaximumPower|SocketType|MinutesInUse
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath. |150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|550
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|155
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|205
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|75

At least the 70kW CHAdeMO socket is getting exactly the use we all predicted.
    Same with KilCullen and Galway Plaza. The Chademo plug seems a waste based on this.

Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1485
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1210
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|335
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|70

The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|685
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|285
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|120
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|75

Some in Portlaoise and Kells seem convinced by the 70kW CHAdeMO socket.

Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|630
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|395
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|205
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|195

Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|610
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|280
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|165
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|60

Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1550
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|590
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|560
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|485

The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|895
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|115
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|460
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|160

Interestingly one of the busiest paid chargers in the county (Lucan) has about 1300 CCS and 1200 CHAdeMO minutes of use this last week. Busier than all the above other than Kilcullen. I'd imagine if there were 2 units there it'd do more charging than Kilcullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The park ri one was me on the 70kW chademo. Before my "free charging" hack got busted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Coming back to commercial EVs on the road, this was just announced today

https://electrek.co/2021/05/04/ford-e-transit-target-price-electric-van/

If you go onto the Ford.ie website you can see it
    https://www.ford.ie/future-vehicles/new-e-transit

It also mentions Depot charging and public charging

"Wherever business takes you, charging your E-Transit should be effortless. Our fast-growing FordPass Charging Network will have over 150,000 public charging points across Europe by 2021. And the high-power, fast charging stations from IONITY will have 400 locations each with multiple charging points."

Does anyone know what the FordPass Charging Network covers? Will we see these on the road here next year at eCars and Ionity?

cannco253 wrote: »
    Coming back to commercial EVs on the road, this was just announced today

https://electrek.co/2021/05/04/ford-e-transit-target-price-electric-van/

If you go onto the Ford.ie website you can see it
    https://www.ford.ie/future-vehicles/new-e-transit

It also mentions Depot charging and public charging

"Wherever business takes you, charging your E-Transit should be effortless. Our fast-growing FordPass Charging Network will have over 150,000 public charging points across Europe by 2021. And the high-power, fast charging stations from IONITY will have 400 locations each with multiple charging points."

Does anyone know what the FordPass Charging Network covers? Will we see these on the road here next year at eCars and Ionity?

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/try-the-tech/

Some in Portlaoise and Kells seem convinced by the 70kW CHAdeMO socket.

Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|630
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|395
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|205
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|195

Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|610
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|280
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|165
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|60

Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1550
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|590
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|560
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|485

The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|895
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|115
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|460
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|160

Interestingly one of the busiest paid chargers in the county (Lucan) has about 1300 CCS and 1200 CHAdeMO minutes of use this last week. Busier than all the above other than Kilcullen. I'd imagine if there were 2 units there it'd do more charging than Kilcullen.

Minutes used per? Day?

McGiver wrote: »
    Minutes used per? Day?

Minutes used in the last 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Anyone know the deal with the new replacement 50kwh chargers.
    I nipped into the one at Dublin port and was able to connect via the app, however the charger would not release the CCS plug, and I noticed there was a red LED bulb just above the CSS lit up, but not lit for Chademo.
    There was a larger green LED light on both -> indicating they were fine?

I tried twice, failed then called them up to report a fault but its still active on the app -> thanks ecars?!
    Anyone had issues with these newer ones? (50kw with just the CSS / Chademo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They can be a little tricky to take the plug out. I think you're supposed to kind of push it in before pulling out or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

JohnC. wrote: »
    They can be a little tricky to take the plug out. I think you're supposed to kind of push it in before pulling out or something like that.

I had a good mess with it without being too rough.
    Tried that, no joy. Not sure why these new ones lock the charge heads, maybe to protect them or something...but just more faff and something that can go wrong.

jusmeig wrote: »
    I had a good mess with it without being too rough.
    Tried that, no joy. Not sure why these new ones lock the charge heads, maybe to protect them or something...but just more faff and something that can go wrong.

I tried the unit in dungarvan last year after it was installed. I had to be very rough to release it. I think it's some combo of push pull jiggle and grunt

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I tried the unit in dungarvan last year after it was installed. I had to be very rough to release it. I think it's some combo of push pull jiggle and grunt

I think you need to push it into the socket first to release the plug from the charging unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

EV owners public charging kit:

- Selection of charging cards
    - Phone with selection of apps for when cards fail
    - Charging cable for when phone runs out of battery
    - String to tie up CCS plug to car to stop communication pins from breaking contact due to weight of cable
    - Insulated screwdriver to pry the dirt and stones out of the charging plug because the last person left it on the ground
    - Baseball bat wrapped with barbed wire to discourage any drivers from plugging into the AC while you're charging

And the new addition

- Crowbar to pry the plug out of the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement