Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

EV owners public charging kit:

- Selection of charging cards
    - Phone with selection of apps for when cards fail
    - Charging cable for when phone runs out of battery
    - String to tie up CCS plug to car to stop communication pins from breaking contact due to weight of cable
    - Insulated screwdriver to pry the dirt and stones out of the charging plug because the last person left it on the ground
    - Baseball bat wrapped with barbed wire to discourage any drivers from plugging into the AC while you're charging

And the new addition

- Crowbar to pry the plug out of the charger

Save the baseball bat, bring zip ties. Tie up the other cable to stop CHAdeMO kicking CCS off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EV owners public charging kit:

- Selection of charging cards
    - Phone with selection of apps for when cards fail
    - Charging cable for when phone runs out of battery
    - String to tie up CCS plug to car to stop communication pins from breaking contact due to weight of cable
    - Insulated screwdriver to pry the dirt and stones out of the charging plug because the last person left it on the ground
    - Baseball bat wrapped with barbed wire to discourage any drivers from plugging into the AC while you're charging

And the new addition

- Crowbar to pry the plug out of the charger
    Or just push in then pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Save the baseball bat, bring zip ties. Tie up the other cable to stop CHAdeMO kicking CCS off

Oh that's a good one, means I don't need to stand guard by the charger :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

ELM327 wrote: »
    Or just push in then pull out

Not the most reliable method in my experience ;)

:D

Not the most reliable method in my experience ;)

:D

Chargus Interruptus?

cannco253 wrote: »
    Coming back to commercial EVs on the road, this was just announced today

https://electrek.co/2021/05/04/ford-e-transit-target-price-electric-van/

If you go onto the Ford.ie website you can see it
    https://www.ford.ie/future-vehicles/new-e-transit

It also mentions Depot charging and public charging

"Wherever business takes you, charging your E-Transit should be effortless. Our fast-growing FordPass Charging Network will have over 150,000 public charging points across Europe by 2021. And the high-power, fast charging stations from IONITY will have 400 locations each with multiple charging points."

Does anyone know what the FordPass Charging Network covers? Will we see these on the road here next year at eCars and Ionity?

As I mentioned before I'd love a commercial full size EV van in the next 12-18 months, been looking at a replacement for an ageing diesel. Nothing out there below 50-60k. Even looking at the likes of Maxus (which I said I never would). The deliver 9 is 26k and the e deliver 9 is 66k!. At least it has CCS at that price. The Master ZE is 66k with no fast charging!

I don't mind paying a bit more than the fossil equivalent but I'm not going to pay 60-70k when a new fossil van is mid 20's.

(Kangoo ZE and env 200 are too small)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Any updates from the HyperHub in J14/Mayfield???

It's been a good while now since we saw the last photo's of barriers and ground works.
    Anyone pass there frequently able to provide an update? with photo's?

Actually, now that we are open countrywide, I might take a spin down past it and have a look soon..

Been a lot of EV's sold so far this year (and last), and owners will be getting shocks when they take them out on long spins on our motorway network, and see how quickly the battery bar reduces!!!! There will be a lot of pressure on our motorway fast charging network this summer...

Might put a bit more pressure on cars to work a little faster than snails pace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Any updates from the HyperHub in J14/Mayfield???

It's been a good while now since we saw the last photo's of barriers and ground works.
    Anyone pass there frequently able to provide an update? with photo's?

Actually, now that we are open countrywide, I might take a spin down past it and have a look soon..

Been a lot of EV's sold so far this year (and last), and owners will be getting shocks when they take them out on long spins on our motorway network, and see how quickly the battery bar reduces!!!! There will be a lot of pressure on our motorway fast charging network this summer...

Might put a bit more pressure on cars to work a little faster than snails pace!!
    I saw some comments on FB that the groundwork seems ready. No units installed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭boccy23

Any plans for something in Cork?

Fermoy or in the City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

Updated JAGUAR I-PACE AND ECOTRICITY x GRIDSERVE's 1st Site | Fully Charged CARS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-3WoyZiOTY

Skip the Jag review and go to around 7 minutes and see the new Ecotricity site, there's a long way to go here for eCars

It's one site though.
    I'd much prefer 3 sites of 4 HPC as opposed to 1 site with 12.

• Advertisement

Well they are saying it's being rolled out across the motorway network, so should see more this year. Good to finally see contactless payment in action.

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-news/2021/ecotricity-and-gridserve-to-power-the-electric-highway
    "The transformation work has two elements - already underway. Firstly, all existing chargers will be replaced with new technology, doubling the capacity - offering all three connection types (CCS, CHAdeMO, and AC) and contactless payment. Secondly – a further 6 to 12 pumps of the all-new 350kW high power standard will be installed. Funding for the program is being provided by Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC, also a shareholder in GRIDSERVE. "

Gridserve already have their own forecourt in Braintree
    https://gridserve.com/braintree-overview/

Agree on contactless payment, this is the way we should be paying for all charging.

https://www.gridserve.com/partner-with-us-land-1/?LeadSourceCode=crm1017

"Calling all landowners. Are you ready to profit from the EV revolution?
    Turn your property into a land bank for future generations. For the project’s lifetime (30-40 years) you will receive guaranteed payments while your land continues to appreciate."

I've heard about this for solar, but not specifically for electric forecourt/electric hubs. How does it work with eCars?

From the new chargers sticky...

Norton House Car Park, Cork Road, Skibbereen now has a 50kW DC and 22kW AC unit (all in one)

Most South Westerly charge point now, passing easygo in clonality. Bantry looks like a nice one to do next to link up to Kenmare. If they can be relied on, the south west is a bit more open to EVs now

Pulled in yesterday to the Circle K station at Ballacolla on the M8 to charge. Used the CCS charger but the cable is so short that I could only use it on the Right Hand of the two charger points.

If I had to use the Left Hand one, no way the cable would have reached. Is this normal? Seems crazy and could result in me not being able to charge even if only one point is being used.

I have an ID4 with charging point at the rear driver's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Welcome to the wonderful world of eCars where everything works as long as you're driving a Leaf and nothing quite works the way it should if you insist on being awkward and driving anything else.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Pulled in yesterday to the Circle K station at Ballacolla on the M8 to charge. Used the CCS charger but the cable is so short that I could only use it on the Right Hand of the two charger points.

If I had to use the Left Hand one, no way the cable would have reached. Is this normal? Seems crazy and could result in me not being able to charge even if only one point is being used.

Yeah that's standard, a symptom of the fact that the people installing the chargers don't ever use them

There's another example on the Applegreen on M11. It has those angled spaces and the placement of the charger means the Chademo can only be used from the left hand space

markpb wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of eCars where everything works as long as you're driving a Leaf and nothing quite works the way it should if you insist on being awkward and driving anything else.

Christ! Thanks, I kinda thought it was just me and I was missing something. :o

Christ! Thanks, I kinda thought it was just me and I was missing something. :o

You need to get more comfortable with "parking like an a$$hole" for charging. Bad parking at chargers is a symptom of the underlying problem that is the layout of the units.

You need to get more comfortable with "parking like an a$$hole" for charging. Bad parking at chargers is a symptom of the underlying problem that is the layout of the units.

I'd laugh, but it's not funny really is it!

• Advertisement

I'd laugh, but it's not funny really is it!

It's kind of a symptom of the attitude towards car charging, that they use marked parking spaces

If you look at petrol pumps for example, there's no marked spaces and there's pumps on both sides with lots of space to accomodate different vehicles parking in different positions

It also creates a sense of urgency around the area, that you can't park there for long periods

In other coutries like Normay or the Nethlands you can see fast chargers are laid out like petrol pumps and are often visible at the front of a service station

In Ireland however we get one charger which is barely usable and often hidden around the back with the bins :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

this is an ecars """"""""""hub"""""""""" in Kells.

529255.jpeg

You can only use the middle space (150kW unit), or the space on the right (50kW unit).

If you arrive and a Leaf is in the middle spot using the 150kW unit, and the 50kW unit is also being used (CCS/CHAdeMO/AC43), you are bunched, unless you put the front wheels on the dirt to the left, and park perpendicular in the space in order for the CCS plug to reach.

Mr Hyundai or Tesla could use it though as their charge port is on the left side... however if Mr Leaf was in space 1, then you're good in your ID.4, and Mr Tesla/Hyundai is bunched!!*

*I'm aware a Tesla/Hyundai could park in space 2 (assuming space 3 was occupied) and use either the CCS or AC from the 50kW unit, but ESB have told us that the 50kW triple head units at this site can now only charge 1 car at a time, despite them for years being able to charge 2 cars (CCS or CHAdeMO & AC43) at the same time...........

this is an ecars """"""""""hub"""""""""" in Kells.

529255.jpeg

You can only use the middle space (150kW unit), or the space on the right (50kW unit).

If you arrive and a Leaf is in the middle spot using the 150kW unit, and the 50kW unit is also being used (CCS/CHAdeMO/AC43), you are bunched, unless you put the front wheels on the dirt to the left, and park perpendicular in the space in order for the CCS plug to reach.

Mr Hyundai or Tesla could use it though as their charge port is on the left side... however if Mr Leaf was in space 1, then you're good in your ID.4, and Mr Tesla/Hyundai is bunched!!*

*I'm aware a Tesla/Hyundai could park in space 2 (assuming space 3 was occupied) and use either the CCS or AC from the 50kW unit, but ESB have told us that the 50kW triple head units at this site can now only charge 1 car at a time, despite them for years being able to charge 2 cars (CCS or CHAdeMO & AC43) at the same time...........

Drive straight in, mount the path behind the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

ELM327 wrote:
    Agree on contactless payment, this is the way we should be paying for all charging.

Absolutely.

It was one of the criteria in tender the Swiss federal government called for building of 50 hubs on the Swiss federal owned motorway rest places.
    Another one was minimum number connectors and power per site. And another one was the requirement of energy storage on site.

Whereas here - no tender. And that's why we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

This is the reason why in Germany and Czechia you can see EON chargers with slanted parking bays and the charger kind of at the side of bays on a separate isle between the bays or on a mini-isle protruding from the bay...

Petrol station layout is the best but the slanted one works also.

The "ESB layout" is the worst of all. But sadly it is common throughout Europe.

Drive straight in, mount the path behind the unit.

That would be my plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

While in New Ross earlier was going to try the new Fast Charge Point.
    Apparently has been inaccessible since Sunday. Showing as being unavailable on App since this morning. Nobody there working so couldn't ask what was going on..

vlQNnGL.jpg

rTYKjnS.jpg

A 50kW Circontrol Raption 50 unit popped up yesterday for a bit at GMC Utilities (Cappagh Rd). Seems a private unit installed by ESB. It's disappeared now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

A 50kW Circontrol Raption 50 unit popped up yesterday for a bit at GMC Utilities (Cappagh Rd). Seems a private unit installed by ESB. It's disappeared now though.
    They are contractors working on behalf of ESB. I saw their vans @ chargers many times. So maybe a test.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    They are contractors working on behalf of ESB. I saw their vans @ chargers many times. So maybe a test.

A test? Now? They have 31 of those units deployed. Who do they think they are testing after deploying! Volkswagen!?

Advertisement