Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

A test? Now? They have 31 of those units deployed. Who do they think they are testing after deploying! Volkswagen!?

Timed charge failed again? ;)

I guess GMC must have gotten some electric vans so they need a charger. Dunno why they couldn't get one of their own

Can't wait for the next time the eCars server goes down, the poor GMC lads won't be able to go out to fix anything :rolleyes:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Timed charge failed again? ;)

I guess GMC must have gotten some electric vans so they need a charger. Dunno why they couldn't get one of their own

Can't wait for the next time the eCars server goes down, the poor GMC lads won't be able to go out to fix anything :rolleyes:

Not yet. Too much range to need to charge it that frequently. Only at 51% now. :D

Not yet. Too much range to need to charge it that frequently. Only at 51% now. :D

Yeah I'm at 76%, have to run it down a bit more so I can plug it in and make sure it'll charge :)

I dunno what I'm going to do with all this battery capacity, I feel like I have to do a road trip just to justify it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Gorey services; 1 Nissan Leaf charging, 2 more queuing. Very glad I went for a car with css charging and the presence of ionity. However, this might be the shape of things to come; esb needs to up their game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Gorey services; 1 Nissan Leaf charging, 2 more queuing. Very glad I went for a car with css charging and the presence of ionity. However, this might be the shape of things to come; esb needs to up their game.

I’ve been saying, it’s gonna be some fun this summer at the sites where eCars are the only gig in town!!!

• Advertisement

Meanwhile at a Supercharger near you……

It’s not just the new BEV’s you’ll be competing with….

553715.jpeg

Meanwhile at a Supercharger near you……

It’s not just the new BEV’s you’ll be competing with….

553715.jpeg

Saw one at Castlebellingham southbound as well

I really don't get the logic of charging a PHEV off a DC charger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I really don't get the logic of charging a PHEV off a DC charger

Thats an easy one to answer... its like the question "why climb a mountain"?.... because I can!

Dont expect to get a logical answer to the question! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its simple and logical enough, its cheaper than petrol and time to spare, unlike the tesla which had to stop and charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Its simple and logical enough, its cheaper than petrol and time to spare, unlike the tesla which had to stop and charge.

You'd want alot of time to spare though! Who would want to spend several hours in one of these places to save a few cent when you can just drive on and burn petrol.

The amount you would add in a typical 30min stop at 3.6kW is just not worth the effort, imo, but YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not logical at all to plug a 330e into a FastAC charger. The maximum saving vs petrol will be around €1.

KCross wrote: »
    You'd want alot of time to spare though! Who would want to spend several hours in one of these places to save a few cent when you can just drive on and burn petrol.

The amount you would add in a typical 30min stop at 3.6kW is just not worth the effort, imo, but YMMV.

Obviously spending time to charge would be plain stupid, which is why I don't see the owner of phev taking pictures or waiting in the car. :D:D:D

Hardly any effort, swipe card plug in and go about your business, I would consider a greater hardship to add 30 minutes or more to a long drive just to save a few euro. But YMMV

Yea its a shame its only 3.7 kW, my outlander can get 16 kW.

liamog wrote: »
    It's not logical at all to plug a 330e into a FastAC charger. The maximum saving vs petrol will be around €1.

its his €1, I don't know, what to say, if it was only what most like to believe only a few cents, which is better to burn petrol or use the 330e emission-free?

Someone else would complain about the owners never plugging the thing in, really hard know what to do or say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

its his €1, I don't know, what to say, if it was only what most like to believe only a few cents, which is better to burn petrol or use the 330e emission-free?

I bet the same driver would say no if someone offered them €1 to park at the back of the car park instead of closer to the door.

No issue with a 330e plugging into an AC43 at a motorway services…. (If anything it helps the usage stats, and maybe to encourage eCars to expand at that particular site)

The issue is when a Zoe pulls in and it needs a charge… (or any BEV that could get a few precious kWh while the CHAdeMO/CCS is being used).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

boccy23 wrote: »
    Pulled in yesterday to the Circle K station at Ballacolla on the M8 to charge. Used the CCS charger but the cable is so short that I could only use it on the Right Hand of the two charger points.

If I had to use the Left Hand one, no way the cable would have reached. Is this normal? Seems crazy and could result in me not being able to charge even if only one point is being used.

I have an ID4 with charging point at the rear driver's side.

Shows the big advantage Tesla have. All these motorway hubs need a minimum of 4 units. Having a single charger is just not reliable if you're planning to arrive with a low SOC.

liamog wrote: »
    I bet the same driver would say no if someone offered them €1 to park at the back of the car park instead of closer to the door.

Why are you trying to demean that driver?

Offer him 2 euro.

In all fairness, what are you trying to say?

No issue with a 330e plugging into an AC43 at a motorway services…. (If anything it helps the usage stats, and maybe to encourage eCars to expand at that particular site)

The issue is when a Zoe pulls in and it needs a charge… (or any BEV that could get a few precious kWh while the CHAdeMO/CCS is being used).

Well he better get used to it, and any BEV driver for that matter, at least tesla have 4 stalls, but how many more cars do tesla need to sell to start clogging up those 4?

Well he better get used to it, and any BEV driver for that matter, at least tesla have 4 stalls, but how many more cars do tesla need to sell to start clogging up those 4?

Tesla have 8 stalls there (16 if you include the 8 on the other side of the carriageway…), so I think we’ll be grand for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Not only do Tesla have vastly more stalls per location, they also charge significantly faster than most cars will at an eCars 50kW charge point so the capacity is greater again.

If only they had a few more sites on IC routes :-/

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    If only they had a few more sites on IC routes :-/

Getting there….
    Sandyford & Enfield now have planning permission.. (Enfield permission to be confirmed this week).

Getting there….
    Sandyford & Enfield now have planning permission.. (Enfield permission to be confirmed this week).

I saw one at Castlebellingham has a cover over it with Coming Soon written on it

Surely it's been there for years already :D

I saw one at Castlebellingham has a cover over it with Coming Soon written on it

Surely it's been there for years already :D

Yeah, it’s out of service….. hardly noticeable though, I was the only car there last week…

When I arrived there was a guy in an ID.4 faffing about with the eCars unit… I plugged in, went into the shop to relieve myself and buy a coffee, and when I came back out, he was still faffing about trying to start a charge… meanwhile I was pulling about 80kW, and ready to leave before I finished the coffee..

Was it you? Last Thursday about 11:45am? I was in the white Model 3.

Yeah, it’s out of service….. hardly noticeable though, I was the only car there last week…

When I arrived there was a guy in an ID.4 faffing about with the eCars unit… I plugged in, went into the shop to relieve myself and buy a coffee, and when I came back out, he was still faffing about trying to start a charge… meanwhile I was pulling about 80kW, and ready to leave before I finished the coffee..

Was it you? Last Thursday about 11:45am? I was in the white Model 3.

No I was there Friday, first long spin with the ID.4. I didn't even bother charging, just got done grub and chilled out for a while

Swords to Castlebellingham and back and used less than 50% of the battery with some fairly inefficient driving :D

The Leaf would need a long charge at Castlebellingham to get back home

Anyone know how to find just the 150 Kw charging sites from the ESB ?

Shame the map doesn't allow you filter by charger power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

WattsUp allows you to filter >50kW units and shows an icon for the provider, and it works on CarPlay.

I can't see a way of doing this on ecars, best you can do is add them as favourites
    https://esb.ie/ecars/our-network/network-upgrades

Between Junction 2 and 3, Kilcullen, Co Kildare (M9)
    Galway Plaza, Junction 6, Kiltullagh, Co Galway (M6)
    Portlaoise Plaza, Junction 17, Portlaoise (M7/8)
    Kells, Co Meath (M4),
    Kilmartin Service Station, Athlone (N6)
    Lunney's Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick on Shannon (N4)
    The charging configuration at these locations are 1x 44-50KW and 1x 150KW and capable of charging up to 3 vehicles simultaneously.

Further hub locations planned include:

Mullingar, Co Westmeath
    Oranmore, Co Galway
    Lahey, Co Donegal
    Junction 14, Mayfield

I used the hyperSpeed150 unit at Kilmartin today.

Jesus it’s in an absolutely horrendous location!!!!!
    It’s hidden away at the back of the garage, and a wrong direction (because it’s not signposted) and you end up on the wrong side of it!!!!

Then when you’re finished and want to leave, you have to join the queue for the McDonads Drive Thru to exit the place…

Talk about bad planning………

If I was passing Athlone in anger and needed a charge, I’d pay the premium and use the Ionity instead…….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I used the hyperSpeed150 unit at Kilmartin today.

Jesus it’s in an absolutely horrendous location!!!!!
    It’s hidden away at the back of the garage, and a wrong direction (because it’s not signposted) and you end up on the wrong side of it!!!!

Then when you’re finished and want to leave, you have to join the queue for the McDonads Drive Thru to exit the place…

Talk about bad planning………

If I was passing Athlone in anger and needed a charge, I’d pay the premium and use the Ionity instead…….

Yep, maybe you can remember my post about that from the eCars expansion thread.
    One thing though, just drive left after charging and you don't need to join the McD's queue, so that's drive left and take first right.
    It is confusing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Talk about bad planning……….

Or excellent planning if you own the McDonald's

Puts new meaning to captive audience :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Gorey services today. Leaf on ESB charge point. All four Ionity stalls in use. Another EV rolled in when we were waiting. Yikes!

Would like to see eCars seriously crack on with the next 40 x 3-8 car hubs.

Advertisement