Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^^ gonna be real fun this year…….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

kanuseeme wrote: »
    its his €1, I don't know, what to say, if it was only what most like to believe only a few cents, which is better to burn petrol or use the 330e emission-free?

Someone else would complain about the owners never plugging the thing in, really hard know what to do or say.

its fairly simple, the best use of a phev is a constant commute with charging at home and utilising electric for that commute, charging at any charge point doesn't really make sense.

Phevs are now been fitted with ccs and this will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

its fairly simple, the best use of a phev is a constant commute with charging at home and utilising electric for that commute, charging at any charge point doesn't really make sense.

Phevs are now been fitted with ccs and this will only get worse.

How it doesn't make sense? You have a phev? You done the calculations based on your experience? Better to burn petrol?

Honestly I cannot wait, I would love a merc 350 de, or maybe a B class. Shame the BMW x5 hasn't got CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’d say when phev owners have to queue with bev drivers to charge at busy locations it might change their minds. Why would you waste time if you don’t really have to - I thought that was the whole point of phevs for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Guessing it's the convenience factor. A free eCars spot in a jammed car park is a no brainer and only adds €1/hour to parking cost for most PHEVs.

eCars AC22 units should have a minimum fee of 11kW to deter low power usages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Guessing it's the convenience factor. A free eCars spot in a jammed car park is a no brainer and only adds €1/hour to parking cost for most PHEVs.

eCars AC22 units should have a minimum fee of 11kW to deter low power usages.

Not at all realistic considering the vast majority of EVs sold can only take 7kW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not at all realistic considering the vast majority of EVs sold can only take 7kW.

Should be a minimum usage amount of 10kWh then...

same way a lot of petrol pumps have a minimum amount to be dispensed.... 2 litres or something....

So when you plug in and start a session, you are immediately charged €2.40 for 10kWh of electricity, and then once the counter rolls over 10kWh, charging as normal per kWh resumes...... anyone in a BEV who might desperately need only 6-7kWh to get home will happily pay the premium I'm sure for the very odd time they might need less than 10kWh from an AC unit.

Would probably solve the PHEV issue overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gorey services today. Leaf on ESB charge point. All four Ionity stalls in use. Another EV rolled in when we were waiting. Yikes!

Would like to see eCars seriously crack on with the next 40 x 3-8 car hubs.

At least if they're getting used then there's no excuses for not installing more chargers. There's clearly demand for them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Should be a minimum usage amount of 10kWh then...

same way a lot or petrol pumps have a minimum amount to be dispensed.... 2 litres or something....

So when you plug in and start a session, you are immediately charged €2.40 for 10kWh of electricity, and then once the counter rolls over 10kWh, charging as normal per kWh resumes...... anyone in a BEV who might desperately need only 6-7kWh to get home will happily pay the premium I'm sure for the very odd time they might need less than 10kWh from an AC unit.

That makes more sense and some places already do that in the UK, minimum charge.

That makes more sense and some places already do that in the UK, minimum charge.

It should discourage PHEV's as well as the handy parking brigade (of which I was guilty of once myself...)

Pavillions SC in Swords last year, parking was very busy so I plugged into an eCars charger and dialled the car down to 6 amps....

• Advertisement

ID.3, ID.4, Teslas, e208, Corsa-e, MY20 eNiro, Kona all 11kW AC charging now. The existing stock with 7kW charging will just have to suck it up, including me! Charging a fee for kWh and time exist in Scandanavia for example so charging a minimum dispensing fee isn't a million miles from that model.

C5 Aircross phev has 7kW obc and plenty more phevs will have 7kW charging in the near future. It's in eCars interest to maximise income anyway never mind promoting BEV use of their chargers vs phevs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Housekeeping update, the thread has become more of a general ESB eCars network thread, so I've updated the title accordingly

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    Mod Note: Housekeeping update, the thread has become more of a general ESB eCars network thread, so I've updated the title accordingly

Wouldn't be an ecars thread without moving the goalposts after a few years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Wouldn't be an ecars thread without moving the goalposts after a few years.

I'm acting under specific instructions from the eCars Facebook rep. They originally wanted me to call it the eCars Discussion Hub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I'm acting under specific instructions from the eCars Facebook rep. They originally wanted me to call it the eCars Discussion Hub :D

Sounds about right in terms of the ESB usage if the word Hub... Hub = 1 Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

No, the only solution for PHEVs, hoggers and other resource allocation issues is per min charging. Per kWh is OK either for small/developing EV markets - say Ireland 3+ years ago or on the other hand markets with a huge charger network, large hubs and huge chargers:EV ratio (say the Netherlands).

Per kWh won't cut it in Ireland as the EV number increase outpaces charger installation. The fast charger:EV ratio actually decreases in Ireland at the moment.

In most quite developed EV markets, like Germany, Norway, Austria, Sweden, per min (or per kWh AND per min) charge is common.

^^ what price would be suitable for Ireland though, how to price a per minute regime on a socket that can deliver anywhere from 1.3kW up to 22kW?

Slow charger was removed from Cross Street in Enniskillen. Plugshare suggests there's been no power to the unit for a while now.

Noticed, after I noticed the above, that a week or 2 ago ESB unmarked all the NI units which were marked for replacement. Not sure if there's anything to read into with that, or just cleaning up those perpetually marked units which they've no concrete plans to replace. All NI units need replacing anyways.

Thanks for renaming the thread, and concealing our lack of progress since 2019.
    Regards Anna.

^^ what price would be suitable for Ireland though, how to price a per minute regime on a socket that can deliver anywhere from 1.3kW up to 22kW?

Pick a number per min, if usage drops too low to make the charge point viable reduce the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Funny, reading posts with words like "worse" "problem" "increase price", the "problem" is all in your minds, phev's are an easy target, they are nothing but a ice with a battery.

A BEV driver must accept that for considerable time, there is no guarantee that charging will be hassle free.

Sure increase prices, all it will do is keep cars within range of their house charger, both phev and BEV, it will slow down sales of both as it will be cheaper to drive on fossil fuel.

At the moment Ecars are the only ones who provide a service that is cheaper than using fuel, those using Ionity might as well have a phev, cheaper and less time wasted.

Go back 2 pages, a post with 5 cars charging and another waiting none of which were phev's, you bought your car so live with it.

Price per minute will punish folks in 7kW (or less) capable cars, while rewarding folks in cars that can take more than 11kW (Zoe, Model S dual AC etc).

However price per minute should absolutely apply once a car is no longer charging.

Give something like a 30 minute grace period when the car stops charging, and if not unplugged within that 30 minutes, a €5 charge, and then another €5 charged every 30 minutes the car remains plugged in and blocking the charger.

Pick a number per min, if usage drops too low to make the charge point viable reduce the number.

5c/min :p

Funny, reading posts with words like "worse" "problem" "increase price", the "problem" is all in your minds, phev's are an easy target, they are nothing but a ice with a battery.

A BEV driver must accept that for considerable time, there is no guarantee that charging will be hassle free.

Sure increase prices, all it will do is keep cars within range of their house charger, both phev and BEV, it will slow down sales of both as it will be cheaper to drive on fossil fuel.

At the moment Ecars are the only ones who provide a service that is cheaper than using fuel, those using Ionity might as well have a phev, cheaper and less time wasted.

Go back 2 pages, a post with 5 cars charging and another waiting none of which were phev's, you bought your car so live with it.

You are consistenly assuming that all BEVs and PHEVs are using public charging for 100% of their fuel when charging when making price comparisons

Yes, maybe using Ionity full price is more expensive than diesel, but if you only use it once a month and charge at home otherwise, the overall fuel savings are considerable, as has been repeatedly demonstrated

If I was using Ionity exclusively for my charging then I would sign up to a paid subscription and get a considerable discount off the per kWh rate. The paid package pay off quite quickly and are still a lot cheaper than diesel

As for PHEVs using DC chargers, I still cannot see how it makes sense in a cost-benefit way. The whole argument with a PHEV is that you can charge at home/work and use EV mode for day to day driving but still drive long distance without stopping to charge.

Plugging into a DC charger for an hour and paying €0.30/kWh for what is probably only going to be 10km of EV range seems like a massive inconvenience for very little benefit

If you were willing to stop for that amount of time in the first place, then why not buy a BEV?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Price per minute will punish folks in 7kW (or less) capable cars, while rewarding folks in cars that can take more than 11kW (Zoe, Model S dual AC etc).

However price per minute should absolutely apply once a car is no longer charging.

Give something like a 30 minute grace period when the car stops charging, and if not unplugged within that 30 minutes, a €5 charge, and then another €5 charged every 30 minutes the car remains plugged in and blocking the charger.

Why reinvent a pricing, just follow Tesla's Irish overstay fee of 50c per minute or €1/minute if the station is fully occupied, both charges kick in when SC is complete (5 minute grace period) and both are without an upper limit!!!
    Note, they only kick in when SC Station at 50%+ capacity.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Why reinvent a pricing, just follow Tesla's Irish overstay fee of 50c per minute or €1/minute if the station is fully occupied, both charges kick in when SC is complete (5 minute grace period) and both are without an upper limit!!!
    Note, they only kick in when SC Station at 50%+ capacity.

Sure most ESB stations are at 100% capacity with 1 car charging :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Then a 5 minute grace period before 50c/minute overstay fee without limit

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

It was 5 cars charging and 2 waiting! Not a problem whatsoever because the wait was less than 10 minutes before we got to charge, benefits of having four stalls that can do >150kW. Used Ionity twice last year under the old pricing and once this year so the cost is tiny when compared to all mileage costs.

slave1 wrote: »

An overstay charge doesn't solve the problem of underutilisation of the charging resource. A car charging at 3.3kW on a 43kW charger is a problem for everyone. Charging is limited by the available time at a given charge point.

The practice in Norway of charging per minute encourages users to use the charger during the most optimum charging speed and to utilise the correct charger for the car. One thing I think I saw in a Bjorn video was an option to double charge for a higher at the Delta HPCs. Instead of the current eCars approach of 150kW which drops to 75kW when a second car plugs in, the user could choose via the unit to fully use the 150kW, but paid more for the privilege.

• Advertisement

Some in Portlaoise and Kells seem convinced by the 70kW CHAdeMO socket.

Address|MaximumPower|SocketType|MinutesInUse
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|630
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|395
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|205
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|195

Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|610
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|280
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|165
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|60

Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1550
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|590
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|560
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|485

The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|895
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|115
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|460
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|160

Interestingly one of the busiest paid chargers in the county (Lucan) has about 1300 CCS and 1200 CHAdeMO minutes of use this last week. Busier than all the above other than Kilcullen. I'd imagine if there were 2 units there it'd do more charging than Kilcullen.

Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|2035
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|670
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|450
    Portlaoise Plaza, Exit 17, M7, Portlaoise, Co.Laois, Ireland|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|340

Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|760
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|360
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|260
    Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells, Meath.|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|90

Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1715
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|790
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|360
    Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|290

The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|1090
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|595
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|345
    The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|285

Kilmartin N6 Service Station, Dublin road, Athlone, Co.Westmeath, Ireland|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|645
    Kilmartin N6 Service Station, Dublin road, Athlone, Co.Westmeath, Ireland|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|50
    Kilmartin N6 Service Station, Dublin road, Athlone, Co.Westmeath, Ireland|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|30
    Kilmartin N6 Service Station, Dublin road, Athlone, Co.Westmeath, Ireland|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|35

Lunney’s Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick-on-Shannon, Roscommon|150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|455
    Lunney’s Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick-on-Shannon, Roscommon|50|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|190
    Lunney’s Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick-on-Shannon, Roscommon|50|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|185
    Lunney’s Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick-on-Shannon, Roscommon|70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|65

CCS CHAdeMO usage split on those HPC
    Max Power|Socket|Minutes in use
    150|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|6560
    70|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|1320

Advertisement