Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cannco253 wrote: »
    So if 2 cars are charging on the CCS only unit does that mean 75kW each?

At the IEVOA meeting the eCars guy said they'd both get 150kW....

but you know.... eCars etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Wait so it's 3 HPC and 1 ye Olde 50kW unit? Wonder will they keep the old triple head too?

So 8 cars can charge, but 1 of them will be using AC.
    If they keep the old triple head then I think it'll be ok for leaf drivers. If it's a single CHAdeMO head on site it's a bit ****e for them.

The old unit will be removed completely. I was hoping they will leave 2 * 22Kw AC chargers there but that won’t happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

That's a pity. It'd be good to have 22kW's in these locations for PHEVs and the likes. Even just one on the end of the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

"So I went Ionity, withing few minutes all 4 bays full, 1 car waiting!"

I wonder if they were ID.3 owners using up the free credits they got last year? What EVs were using Ionity out of curiosity?

Taycan, Model 3, EQC and an ID.3. Myself and another poor scümbag in eNiros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote:
    We actually covered that in an old thread, I found multiple examples of DC charging stations located in towns in Norway and The Netherlands. Turns out the mature markets are heading that way, as are Tesla with their lower power urban superchargers.
    This is nonsense. You cheery picked one example and were then shown that it was not true, yet you insist on this notion even now despite the evidence.

AC outnumbers DC by a factor of 3 or more in these markets, in the cities. If you look at the stats for a given urban area you see much more AC than DC.

Groningen, Eindhoven, The Hague - I see more green than orange.20210605-103733-COLLAGE.jpg

Vienna City- 100 kW+ DC vs 50 kW DC vs AC - I see 10:40:500 ratio
    20210605-104704-COLLAGE.jpg
    I hope this is settled for good.

How many Tesla superchargers locations are there in the Ireland please? Just a few. It must be some kind of a joke talking about Tesla in this context, really.

And back to the topic, I insist, as others pointed out, that 50 kW DC, is still usable as a secondary resource on motorway hubs. Your idea that they are not is, again, in denial of reality - look at NL, NO, AT etc at plugshare (if you haven't been there).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    This is nonsense. You cheery picked one example and were then shown that it was not true, yet you insist on this notion even now despite the evidence.

Thanks for providing more evidence that operators are rolling out DC chargers in suburban areas, looks like more operators are seeing that's a suitable addition to the charging spread.
    And back to the topic, I insist, as others pointed out, that 50 kW DC, is still usable as a secondary resource on motorway hubs. Your idea that they are not is, again, in denial of reality - look at NL, NO, AT etc at plugshare (if you haven't been there).

What's the point of an operator installing one extra 50kW unit, when everyone would benefit from that physical spot being supplied with a high power unit instead.

peposhi wrote: »
    The old unit will be removed completely. I was hoping they will leave 2 * 22Kw AC chargers there but that won’t happen...
    They should leave them there, I agree. But again, there's nothing logical or calculated in Ecars. Their only strategy is to take our money (EU and local taxpayer's) and show (PR) it was well spent. Lately, they don't even attempt the PR.

Typically, in Europe, you'd have multiple 150 kW, multiple 50 kW and one 2x 22 kW AC at hubs. The latter two as backups.

liamog wrote: »
    Thanks for providing more evidence that operators are rolling out DC chargers in suburban areas, looks like more operators are seeing that's a suitable addition to the charging spread.
    They've always been but the DC:AC ratio is 1:10. That's the whole bloody point.

Do you have anything to add or comment on the original 50 kW DC issue rather then going on an everlasting tangent?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They've always been but the DC:AC ratio is 1:10. That's the whole bloody point.

Do you have anything to add or comment on the original 50 kW DC issue rather then going on an everlasting tangent?

I'm not sure why you believe that eCars should be installing substandard equipment on motorways, nor am I sure why you believe eCars shouldn't install DC equipment in suburban areas despite showing thats exactly what is happening in mature markets.

Do you think the network is now too good, and eCars should dial down their plans. I'm not sure many people would agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

liamog wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you believe that eCars should be installing substandard equipment on motorways, nor am I sure why you believe eCars shouldn't install DC equipment in suburban areas despite showing thats exactly what is happening in mature markets.

Do you think the network is now too good, and eCars should dial down their plans. I'm not sure many people would agree with that.

More availability of 'fast' DC charge points in urban areas would make EVs a viable option for apartment dwellers and others who can't charge at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We’re just picking between ourselves, eCars are doing nothing from a strategy perspective, if they were it would be 250w hubs to see themselves over the next 5 years.
    Instead they are installing for legacy EVs.
    No foresight.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    We’re just picking between ourselves, eCars are doing nothing from a strategy perspective, if they were it would be 250w hubs to see themselves over the next 5 years.
    No foresight.

At least their new hub is CCS dominated, that's something from ecars. Pity about the 22kW AC (no overstay, serves very few if any, blocks a DC space if it's in use).
    You'd hope they've put in the underground electrics for the future and units for the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    No foresight.

A 250W hub would be low ever for ESB, you'd be better off using a laptop power supply ;)

I've always said that if ESB electrified their entire fleet and gave out EVs as company cars then the charging network would suddenly improve

They say you should never trust a chef who doesn't eat the food they cook. The same can be applied to charging networks :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Since J14 is getting close to being finished, does anyone know what Hub will be next?

Mullingar, Co Westmeath
    Oranmore, Co Galway
    Lahey, Co Donegal
    Junction 14, Mayfield

Since J14 is getting close to being finished, does anyone know what Hub will be next?

Mullingar, Co Westmeath
    Oranmore, Co Galway
    Lahey, Co Donegal
    Junction 14, Mayfield

I'm gonna guess something on the M1 since there's no ESB hubs of any description on that route

Or possibly the M4, somewhere around Enfield, I vaguely remember there was a hub location somewhere around there from that map ESB showed years ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Plenty of room on Enfield services to put a few more in, those places overflowing with parking spaces

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Mullingar, Co Westmeath
    Oranmore, Co Galway
    Lahey, Co Donegal
    Junction 14, Mayfield

I'd guess somewhere which perhaps has infrastructure already. Id guess the M1 lacks chargers because perhaps it lacks power. Mullingar perhaps so? In keeping with the oodles of HPC in the Midlands.

I'd guess somewhere which perhaps has infrastructure already. Id guess the M1 lacks chargers because perhaps it lacks power. Mullingar perhaps so? In keeping with the oodles of HPC in the Midlands.

There are 9 fast chargers on each side of the road at Castlebellingham….. I don’t think lack of power is the issue….

There are 9 fast chargers on each side of the road at Castlebellingham….. I don’t think lack of power is the issue….

Not to mention one of the main power lines runs alongside the motorway, definitely no problems getting a good grid connection there

Not to mention one of the main power lines runs alongside the motorway, definitely no problems getting a good grid connection there

They'll have to find some excuse to take a good year to install something so.

• Advertisement

They'll have to find some excuse to take a good year to install something so.

Absolutely tons of space up there too to layout another J14 like hub….. (there are already 4 marked eCars spots at each services despite only 1 triple head unit on each side…..)

555172.jpeg

555173.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Does anyone know where the hub is going in oranmore?

The M1 is the main route I use on a regular basis, my hope is that they've deliberately not rolled out any HPCs because they want to roll out J14 style chargers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

There is a new picture on plugshare with the new chargers showing that the second HPC ihas CHAdeMO plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

innrain wrote: »
    There is a new picture on plugshare with the new chargers showing that the second HPC ihas CHAdeMO plug.

But, importantly, the one I thought might be both Chademo and CCS is indeed 2 x CCS. :cool:

Had to pick up some running gear at Kildare Village today, so popped down to get a photo.

https://i.imgur.com/44tgeZa.jpg

The 3 new style units are 2 x 2 CCS, 1x 1 CCS, 1 CHAdeMO
    Then an Efacec with 1xCHAdeMO, 1xCCS and 1 Type 2 AC socket.

So that's potentially 6 CCS can charge at once. The only thing I would change is that last unit, I would of preferred if they'd installed another of the new units but with 1xCCS and 1xCHAdeMO.

innrain wrote: »

Huh? The picture on plugshare shows 4 CCS bays. No CHAdeMO bay pictured at all. Given the peposhis picture it looks like 1 HPC CHAdeMO plug, 5 CCS HPC plugs, and 1 50kW CHAdeMO and CCS plug.

it looks like 1 HPC CHAdeMO plug, 5 CCS HPC plugs, and 1 50kW CHAdeMO and CCS plug.

Looks like exactly what was needed….. Brilliant.
    (I’ll never need to use it though as long as I drive a Tesla,
    But still I love to see it going in as it should….

More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Huh? The picture on plugshare shows 4 CCS bays. No CHAdeMO bay pictured at all. Given the peposhis picture it looks like 1 HPC CHAdeMO plug, 5 CCS HPC plugs, and 1 50kW CHAdeMO and CCS plug.
    You're right. Don't know what I saw in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I’ll be passing by J14 tomorrow if anyone needs more detailed pictures...

Advertisement