Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That spec plate illustrates well how these work, notice how the AC input is just 1.5kW to run the unit. The rest is a direct DC input from the units inside the wooden gated area.
    Guess we'll have to start calling them charge points now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No service station there at the moment though, no?

In Eastgate? No, there isn’t, but who cares.
    There is a decent Mace(?) shop, deli, coffee shops, KFC etc.
    It’s easy to get on/off the main route into Cork. Lots of parking space and I’d assume good electricity supply into the retail park already.

It’s a good location, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    That spec plate illustrates well how these work, notice how the AC input is just 1.5kW to run the unit. The rest is a direct DC input from the units inside the wooden gated area.
    Guess we'll have to start calling them charge points now ;)

Also notice how the CCS output is rated for 920V. I think that means the charger can do 800V as long as one car is plugged in, then it'll split the voltage

The max current looks to be either 200 or 350A. I wonder if the voltage determines the current?

We'll need a Taycan or Ioniq 5 driver to test it out at some point :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

innrain wrote: »

I think it's the G1 version, the screen is angled from the pictures which matches the older version

https://electricmobility.efacec.com/ev-high-power/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Also notice how the CCS output is rated for 920V. I think that means the charger can do 800V as long as one car is plugged in, then it'll split the voltage

The max current looks to be either 200 or 350A. I wonder if the voltage determines the current?

My guess would be it depends on the choice of charging cable, you need a liquid cooled cable to go over 200A on CCS. The unit could be 350A cable but fitted with gen1 CCS cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Some characteristics
    https://ignitison.lt/wp-content/uploads/Ultra-Fast-Charge-Station.pdf
    You need two cabinets to achieve 320kW and on the last page it shows the power limitation @ 920V it goes up to 350A and vice-versa it sustains 500A @ max 640V.

innrain wrote: »
    Some characteristics
    https://ignitison.lt/wp-content/uploads/Ultra-Fast-Charge-Station.pdf
    You need two cabinets to achieve 320kW and on the last page it shows the power limitation @ 920V it goes up to 350A and vice-versa it sustains 500A @ max 640V.

Yeah, there's a lot of options with these units so it'll be hard to know what they're capable of until we plug in some cars that'll push them to their limit

As Liam pointed out, they could be using thinner cables which would limit them

Also we don't know what software limits the ESB put in place

I suppose we'll all just have to mob the place when it opens and push it to the max :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It does seem a shame that they've installed a triple with a 22kW AC socket here. The only justification I could think to not install 4 of the new style chargers was to serve the 43kW AC Zoe community. But with this charger installed, I think they should of gone with a couple of AC posts somewhere else on site. Does this count as the first site to lose a 43kW AC connection?

I think all the hubs so far have ditched AC43.

Is the old unit still in the app or something? That's showing 2 50kW chargers

Yeah, just while they're setting it up. Happens regularly with new units, but only for an hour or so. Hopefully see one of the 350kW units for a bit tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 outlyer

Yeah, there's a lot of options with these units so it'll be hard to know what they're capable of until we plug in some cars that'll push them to their limit

As Liam pointed out, they could be using thinner cables which would limit them

Also we don't know what software limits the ESB put in place

I suppose we'll all just have to mob the place when it opens and push it to the max :)

I poped by yesterday and noticed the unit on the left had one fat and one thin cable.

outlyer wrote: »
    I poped by yesterday and noticed the unit on the left had one fat and one thin cable.

I can already imagine the arguments when someone with an ID.4 want's to use the thick cable, but someone is charging an I3 using it.
    Trying to explain that the thick cable goes faster but only when plugged into certain cars ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

eagerv wrote: »
    Why is the Cork area so poor for charging?

Note Cork city also has a non esb 50kW charger by easygo and non esb chargers at the airport.

No part of the country has adequate infrastructure as far as I am concerned, for example Dublin city centre has very few public AC chargers, and the M50 probably the busiest road has only a few chargers nearby often busy. There is some non esb options but again nothing adequate.

City to city routes should be the priority but the infrastructure should be rolled out to cater for users now and in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

so the poor old non CCS Zoe drivers will suffer..

*cries* :(

Ah, I'll probably just continue to avoid J14 as I have in the past. It hasn't worked well on AC43 in ages.
    I might pop in for a look after it opens but that's about it.

Maybe it's long term planning, eCars have deliberately made the AC43 connection on the existing charger unreliable to give you a pavlovian response to using Mayfield ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Need to get them rolled out across the whole country. I needed to charge in sligo yesterday and the only 50kwh charger was out of order. The 22kwh charger at the train station had only one side working.

Maybe it's long term planning, eCars have deliberately made the AC43 connection on the existing charger unreliable to give you a pavlovian response to using Mayfield ;)

Just checked my stats and the type 2 tethered at Mayfield has been used more often than CHAdeMO in the last 7 days. 14 hours of charging on it vs 12 on CHAdeMO. Compare that to just over 24 hours of charging on CCS and it looks like that AC43 plug will be sorely missed.

eagerv wrote: »
    I hope not, what about those of us coming up on the M9?

The M9 doesn't exist after Kilcullen to the ESB or anyone else it seems, after Kilcullen next stop is Carlow which is miles off the Motorway. After that there's No charger all the way to Knocktopher which is off the motorway again but not as far as Carlow which is a Joke, then nothing until Waterford which now has 2 DC chargers. There's no high power charger in sight after Kilcullen.

I wonder is the Kilcullen 50 Kw Charger still only providing 26 Kw ?

It's also a shame you can't filter the 50 Kw from the 150 Kw chargers on the map.

I think the 50 Kw at j14 should stay because it could serve the 50 Kw cars rather than them take up a HP charger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think the 50 Kw at j14 should stay because it could serve the 50 Kw cars rather than them take up a HP charger.

1 of the 4 new chargers is a 50kW unit, but I agree that the original triple head 50kW unit should stay... or at least be converted into a twin AC22 (for the Zoe's)

I can already imagine the arguments when someone with an ID.4 want's to use the thick cable, but someone is charging an I3 using it.
    Trying to explain that the thick cable goes faster but only when plugged into certain cars ...

I wonder is that the one with the Chademo, they often use a thinner cable and limit the charging speed on Chademo since there's not many cars that can use it above 70kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just browsing this thread. As a total newbie to electric cars - all the different types of chargers and AC vs DC and various powered units. It’s very confusing.

I can see why people find it off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

fits wrote: »
    Just browsing this thread. As a total newbie to electric cars - all the different types of chargers and AC vs DC and various powered units. It’s very confusing.

I can see why people find it off putting.

If it’s any consolation, you quickly learn that most of it is irrelevant to each owner. For most people, they will have a tethered cable at home and a type 2 for slow charging (which they might never use) and they know to use the CCS plug at fast chargers. Any other plugs and anything to do with voltages can be ignored. If you forget the which is AC and which is DC, it won’t matter. All this stuff will fade away in time as they become more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Going to Dingle next week and one side of the only charger on the entire peninsula is out of action, and has been for at least a week now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Going to Dingle next week and one side of the only charger on the entire peninsula is out of action, and has been for at least a week now.

Sounds similar to Clifden only the single charger serving the area was down for months before they replaced it!!

We are contemplating bringing ours to Dingle if we have the car by then. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I can trickle charge there thankfully... just about. Will be using every metre of my 25m extension lead :-o

markpb wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation, you quickly learn that most of it is irrelevant to each owner. For most people, they will have a tethered cable at home and a type 2 for slow charging (which they might never use) and they know to use the CCS plug at fast chargers. Any other plugs and anything to do with voltages can be ignored. If you forget the which is AC and which is DC, it won’t matter. All this stuff will fade away in time as they become more mainstream.

Im not worried about it at all - not least because I dont expect to do much public charging. But it will be off putting and confusing for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

If you go into the Sneem hotel there is a Tesla Destination charger.
    In a previous life I called the Hotel and asked could I charge (my Ioniq), arrived plugged in and charged for free.

I've no idea if this has been nerfed, but its worth a try.
    Ive been travelling to Sneem for the last 3 years in an EV and charging is very challenging. The AC unit in Sneem is an old yoke and very hit and miss when it was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Its completely bonkers that in 2 of our most touristy areas there is so few charging options.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    If you go into the Sneem hotel there is a Tesla Destination charger.
    In a previous life I called the Hotel and asked could I charge (my Ioniq), arrived plugged in and charged for free.

I've no idea if this has been nerfed, but its worth a try.
    Ive been travelling to Sneem for the last 3 years in an EV and charging is very challenging. The AC unit in Sneem is an old yoke and very hit and miss when it was working.

Sneem is miles away from Dingle!

There are chargers in Tralee and Killarney that would be much handier while passing through. Otherwise, tis trickle charging all the way.

(actually I know someone with a home charger down there who might help us out for a bottle of wine)

Advertisement