Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Any idea how long the cables are on these units?

The 150kW unit at the Galway plaza has a very short CCS cable which doesn't stretch across far enough if you have a charge port on the driver side of your car, so you have to park in the middle spot at the site. I suppose with cables on both sides of the unit it hopefully won't be a problem unless somebody realises they've parked in the wrong spot if they want the 350a cable and decides to drag it across to their car instead of moving it.

Is the cable length limited by the amount of power provided for safety reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

cannco253 wrote: »
    Any idea how long the cables are on these units?

The 150kW unit at the Galway plaza has a very short CCS cable which doesn't stretch across far enough if you have a charge port on the driver side of your car, so you have to park in the middle spot at the site. I suppose with cables on both sides of the unit it hopefully won't be a problem unless somebody realises they've parked in the wrong spot if they want the 350a cable and decides to drag it across to their car instead of moving it.

Is the cable length limited by the amount of power provided for safety reasons?

I think it's practical reasons as much as safety. The longer the cable the thicker it needs to be to carry 500A without losing too much to heat

At some point the size and weight of the cable is enough that it becomes difficult to carry. I remember Bjorn showed that the cables on some HPC units are so heavy that they pull the connector downwards and cause the communication pins to break contact

The trick is to hold the connector up slightly while it's doing the handshake until the charging starts

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think it's practical reasons as much as safety. The longer the cable the thicker it needs to be to carry 500A without losing too much to heat

At some point the size and weight of the cable is enough that it becomes difficult to carry. I remember Bjorn showed that the cables on some HPC units are so heavy that they pull the connector downwards and cause the communication pins to break contact

The trick is to hold the connector up slightly while it's doing the handshake until the charging starts

These are 350A max sadly.

These are 350A max sadly.

Wouldn't be so bad if they were both 350A, but putting one side as 200A is definitely stupid. That's limiting to around 75kW for most cars?

you know a bunch of new ID.4 owners are going to plug into the thin cable and be annoyed that they're getting limited speed

And the inevitable argument about trying to get the Ioniqs and i3s not to plug into the thick cable is going to be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I can trickle charge there thankfully... just about. Will be using every metre of my 25m extension lead :-o

I was told that extension leads shouldn't be used after we got a burning plastic smell at the socket

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be so bad if they were both 350A, but putting one side as 200A is definitely stupid. That's limiting to around 75kW for most cars?

you know a bunch of new ID.4 owners are going to plug into the thin cable and be annoyed that they're getting limited speed

And the inevitable argument about trying to get the Ioniqs and i3s not to plug into the thick cable is going to be fun

Yup. Fine though, as pointed out by Liam, if you're over 50% SOC.

I was told that extension leads shouldn't be used after we got a burning plastic smell at the socket

Yeah the problem is again that you need to pull more current to offset the losses for the length of cable

For a 10A charger, you'll want to get a 13A rated extension lead at least to account for extra current load

And then you'll want to be sure the socket you're plugging into can handle 13A. In theory they should, but I think some have been downrated to 10A, and I don't know of any easy visual check to figure it out

If the car has the option of reducing the charging current this can also be a good idea to prevent overloading

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There will also be the issue where ID owners will plug in and get, say, 70kW and blame eCars when in fact its the car/battery is the problem... i.e. high SoC, cold battery.

In practical terms, the time difference for an ID owner to start charging at 125kW or to be hobbled by eCars to 80kW wont make that much of a difference as the car will ramp down from 125kW anyway... i'd say a couple of mins in the difference is all it will be.... even less for those limited to 100kW.

An interesting one there will be where someone who can get 100kW+ wanting access to the 350A side asking someone to move and not realising that when they move and restart their charge session they are likely to be further hobbled by the car since the BMS will decide.. "oh, i'm starting a rapid charge session at 60% so I'll start slow".

i.e. The starting SoC is very important for the overall speed you get for your session so stopping and restarting it mid stream is a bad idea.

Yup. Fine though, as pointed out by Liam, if you're over 50% SOC.

True, I think if you set off from Cork with a full battery you'd arrive with 35%, so you wouldn't get full power anyway, between 75-100kW most likely

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

the inevitable argument about trying to get the Ioniqs and i3s not to plug into the thick cable is going to be fun

Realistically people will plug into the cable that matches the side of the car they are on. For instance I'd use the cable that lines up with driver side as that's where my charge port is. Only us EV Geeks will understand the difference.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    There will also be the issue where ID owners will plug in and get, say, 70kW and blame eCars when in fact its the car/battery is the problem... i.e. high SoC, cold battery.

In practical terms, the time difference for an ID owner to start charging at 125kW or to be hobbled by eCars to 80kW wont make that much of a difference as the car will ramp down from 125kW anyway... i'd say a couple of mins in the difference is all it will be.... even less for those limited to 100kW.

An interesting one there will be where someone who can get 100kW+ wanting access to the 350A side asking someone to move and not realising that when they move and restart their charge session they are likely to be further hobbled by the car since the BMS will decide.. "oh, i'm starting a rapid charge session at 60% so I'll start slow".

i.e. The starting SoC is very important for the overall speed you get for your session so stopping and restarting it mid stream is a bad idea.

Well if you're both on the same unit, you'll be load sharing anyways so max 175kW (guessing 175A) each. 70kW at 400V.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Well if you're both on the same unit, you'll be load sharing anyways so max 175kW (guessing 175A) each. 70kW at 400V.

I don't exactly know how load splitting works across a single HV175 unit, but for the HV350 (which is just two HV175s) in eCars configuration it may be that one car can take 200A (limited by the cable) and the other can take 250A (limited to using one half of the HV350.

I found this spec sheet, looks like the unit is capable of sustained 500A on the better cable.

555543.PNG

https://ignitison.lt/wp-content/uploads/Ultra-Fast-Charge-Station.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

liamog wrote: »
    I don't exactly know how load splitting works across a single HV175 unit, but for the HV350 (which is just two HV175s) in eCars configuration it may be that one car can take 200A (limited by the cable) and the other can take 250A (limited to using one half of the HV350.

I found this spec sheet, looks like the unit is capable of sustained 500A on the better cable.

https://ignitison.lt/wp-content/uploads/Ultra-Fast-Charge-Station.pdf
    This is the chart I was rambling yesterday. With two cabinets you can get max 500A but no more than 320lkW. So @ 400V would you get a max of 200kW?

555547.png

We will need to look closer at the cabinets and see how many they are. Are there x3 per kiosk?
    Anyway they seem all online now. x6 CCS. Party?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

3 hyper units are showing as online, and all 3 are FREE!!!!!!

Looks like all units are installed and live now (unless they're still testing).

3 350kW CCS plugs FREE
    2 200kW CCS plugs FREE
    1 50kW CHAdeMO plug FREE
    1 50kW CHAdeMO plug @ 30.5c/kWh
    1 50kW CCS plug @ 30.5c/kWh
    1 22kW untethered type 2 socket @ 26.8c/kWh

If ever unsure which plug is a 350kW one, just rock up to the hyper unit with the CHAdeMO plug on it, as the other side of it will be a 350kW rated plug...

If ever unsure which plug is a 350kW one, just rock up to the hyper unit with the CHAdeMO plug on it, as the other side of it will be a 350kW rated plug...

Or read the label? :pac:

innrain wrote: »
    This is the chart I was rambling yesterday. With two cabinets you can get max 500A but no more than 320lkW. So @ 400V would you get a max of 200kW?

That's the nominal voltage graph, just add 92V to it and that's what's you'll end up with. Gotta love spec sheets :D

Or read the label? :pac:

Would want to be a fairly big label to see it when approaching the Charging area......

Would want to be a fairly big label to see it when approaching the Charging area......
    We should print some and add under the CCS sign

CCS max xxx kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Looks like all units are installed and live now (unless they're still testing).

3 350kW CCS plugs FREE
    2 200kW CCS plugs FREE
    1 50kW CHAdeMO plug FREE
    1 50kW CHAdeMO plug @ 30.5c/kWh
    1 50kW CCS plug @ 30.5c/kWh
    1 22kW untethered type 2 socket @ 26.8c/kWh

Yep
    A lovely white M3 charging away on it at the moment

We need to send the boards.ie EV science club to start confirming all our speculation :D

We need to send the boards.ie EV science club to start confirming all our speculation :D

What would we talk about then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

We need pictures!

Anyone there with a smartphone?

giphy.gif

I'm at 62%. The worst I'd get there at 45% First time when I complain I have to much charge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

The mad guy in Waterford has blocked the charger again. This time there’s a pallet lying across the front of the charger with what looks to be an A4 sheet stuck to it. Presumably with a nice message written on it. I drove past today and noticed it from the main road so apologies I’ve no pics to show you all. Maybe if someone is nearby this evening they can post one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Looking at the graph for the "hyper" unit - it looks like it can supply less than 400 amps at 350v, dropping to 350 amps at 400v (same power output).

My Model 3 SR+ maxed out on a V3 SuC, at close to 500 amps at a low SoC - 357v/167kW.
    This unit would max out at approx 140kW on all Model 3s, SR+, LR & Performance, if it's current limited as suggested.

That's before any load sharing/balancing.
    70kW is likely on a low SoC Tesla should someone be using the other connector (200 amps @ 350v).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Irishjg wrote: »
    The mad guy in Waterford has blocked the charger again. This time there’s a pallet lying across the front of the charger with what looks to be an A4 sheet stuck to it. Presumably with a nice message written on it. I drove past today and noticed it from the main road so apologies I’ve no pics to show you all. Maybe if someone is nearby this evening they can post one up.

Can he be reported to the ESB or is it his property his rules?

Kramer wrote: »
    Looking at the graph for the "hyper" unit - it looks like it can supply less than 400 amps at 350v, dropping to 350 amps at 400v (same power output).

My Model 3 SR+ maxed out on a V3 SuC, at close to 500 amps at a low SoC - 357v/167kW.
    This unit would max out at approx 140kW on all Model 3s, SR+, LR & Performance, if it's current limited as suggested.

That's before any load sharing/balancing.
    70kW is likely on a low SoC Tesla should someone be using the other connector (200 amps @ 350v).
    Why just 200A? Why not 250A?

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can he be reported to the ESB or is it his property his rules?

He's had an ongoing dispute with ESB for a while, the general consensus is that he was expecting to make millions from people charging and dropping into the shop.

When it turned out the get rich quick scheme wasn't quite so quick then be fenced off the charger and demanded money from the ESB in rent

I think he got some cash but seems to block off the charger every so often, probably because his cheque is late

He also seems completely bonkers, told someone their car looks like a pedo's car

Frankly this is about as good as the entertainment gets around here :)

Advertisement