Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

innrain wrote: »
    From the parking perspective they say no more than 3 hours but as long as you remember to pay. It may be it is more expensive than fast charging considering the on street parking fees in Dublin

The 3 hour limit isn't universal. Many streets it doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

slave1 wrote: »
    AC chargers have no overstay fee at present whilst charging

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just had my first incident of charger rage...

I pulled up to the CCS charger at Stillorgan Luas and there was a clamper parked up just in front of it busy clamping one of the Teslas using the AC charger here. He hadn't left much room to get past him but I managed to squeeze through and then park up at the charger. As I get out of the car and go to plug it in the clamper gets in his car and drives off and an old Leaf pulls up next to me. Some woman gets out and just starts shouting at me "I was waiting to use that fúcking charger for the past ten minutes before he moved". She then calls me a dickhead and gets back in her car, I hadn't said a word at this point and I hadn't even plugged the charger in yet. I go round to her car and knock on the window but she just shouts NO at me and then drives off. I was going to tell her that I didn't see anyone waiting and if she'd just calmly explained the situation to me instead of shouting at me and calling me a dickhead she could have had the charger but now she can wait instead. Fúcking weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

KCross wrote: »
    So you averaged about 60kW across your session on the 350A cable. That doesnt sound right at all.

Surely that should have been well in excess of 100kW.... what are you driving again? A Model 3 is it? Is it one of the new "slow charging" China Model 3's?

Doesnt the Tesla show the Amps on the screen during charging? What did it show you were pulling (in amps)?

Yeah it the LR one with slow charging but people complain getting 150 instead of 250 kW. Never had faster than 50kW charging before today so can't rule out the car but unlikely.
    It doesn't display the current for DC. In fact I'm amazed how little info gives ref charging compared to Kona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Just had my first incident of charger rage...

Fúcking weirdo.

She assumed you saw her most likely, her fault.
    She should have told the clamper to f$ck off, he was the one blocking the charger in the first place.

• Advertisement

Here it is the 350A cable. This is the first unit on the opposite side of the 50kW triple.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=555618&stc=1&d=1623421541
    I don't like the kink it makes. I parked as much to the right as the bollard in front of the "kiosk" would let me. When I arrived, on the left it was an 171 Ioniq charging at the same rate like me at the 200A cable second unit. Probably an angled parking would be better. Access to the boot? Hmm
    The starting point
    attachment.php?attachmentid=555622&stc=1&d=1623421873

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The 350A one. Just me here so not a danger of hogging

ID.3 and a Leaf there at the same time, free juice has folk crawling out of the woodwork :)
    Used the 200A cable. It works and will reach front left charge port on eNiro/Kona/Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Check out the latest photo on plugshare for J14

Looks like the Tesla driver has pulled the white 350A cable around the back of the unit to plug it in to the car instead of parking in the 350A side of the unit and stretching it around the back of the car like innrain.

I guess this means it doesn't matter what bay you park in, you can only plug in what's available when you arrive if the place is busy....

I wonder how much stress these cables can take before they start failing.

cannco253 wrote: »
    Check out the latest photo on plugshare for J14

Looks like the Tesla driver has pulled the white 350A cable around the back of the unit to plug it in to the car instead of parking in the 350A side of the unit and stretching it around the back of the car like innrain.

I guess this means it doesn't matter what bay you park in, you can only plug in what's available when you arrive if the place is busy....

I wonder how much stress these cables can take before they start failing.
    I think that's is for the photoshoot to look tidy. What happens when another Tesla wants to charge using the other cable?
    The cable itself was not very stretched but the weight of it was making the kink in the outer shield which felt a bit flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I hope you're right about that, I'd be a bit annoyed if I pulled up alongside him and saw that.

For most people the choice of cable won't make any difference, but I'm sure everyone will quickly learn about the "fast" cable and always go for it if they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Oh, just noticed ECars have classified these differently. They rate chargers as "Slow" (typically 3rd party units regardless of speed), "Semi-fast" (SCP to you and I), and "Fast" which has been any fast unit including any currently live HPC (the delta units at kilcullen/Athlone, Portlaoise etc).
    This unit at Mayfield is classified as ""chargingSpeedId": "ULTRA_FAST"", with the 200kW head classified as "FAST" but the 350Kw head classified as "ULTRA_FAST". No price difference, but it'll come i'm sure.
    A bit of a terminological nitpick but some here like to do so (although only applied to others :)).

This probably because that's the terminology used in Europe, US and also China.

175kW+ is called UFC or ultra fast charger in Europe. It's coming from most of the charger manufacturers, I'd say. It fits logically to the Slow>Fast>Ultra Fast sequence.

The "HPC" term that stuck here is frankly quite odd. The High Power has no logical consistency with the rest of the series i.e. Slow>Fast>High Power.

In Europe (and the US), it's simply called slow charging, fast charging and ultra fast charging.

https://emobility.delta-emea.com/en/Ultra-Fast-Charger.htm
    https://electricmobility.efacec.com/ev-high-power/
    https://bpchargemaster.com/pulse-150/
    https://www.varta-consumer.com/en/products/chargers/overview/details/lcd-ultra-fast-charger

The poster is from IEVOA They are old time running and considerate in their approach. Posible you'd see these pictures on ecars press releases.
    Speaking of IEVOA on their fb page there are some.... pictures with the charger from Waterford blocked and cable tied

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The poster is from IEVOA They are old time running and considerate in their approach. Posible you'd see these pictures on ecars press releases.
    Speaking of IEVOA on their fb page there are some.... pictures with the charger from Waterford blocked and cable tied

He cable tied the plugs as well? That's bad form, if he had the pallet there and someone worked around it then I'd say fair game

I mean, what happens if someone was stuck and needed to charge there

If I'm ever down there I'd better remember to bring the circular saw :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

... pictures with the charger from Waterford blocked and cable tied

Today's photos added to plugshare app entry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Disgraceful carry on….
    Cables & connectors will get destroyed left like that…

555638.jpeg

555639.jpeg

Disgraceful carry on….

555638.jpeg

At this point I'm surprised the ESB don't just move the charger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At this point I'm surprised the ESB don't just move the charger

The problem is some poor sod is going to arrive here on less than 5-10% with no other option (because the app says it's available), and end up having to deal with this utter sh1te!!!!

Pull the unit and be done with that off fellow, install it or a newer unit in another garage close by...

I'd almost want to go down someday with a snips and attempt to use it.. and when looney Larry comes out, just ignore him.... the charger is not his property (though it may be on his property).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭eagerv

The problem is some poor sod is going to arrive here on less than 5-10% with no other option (because the app says it's available), and end up having to deal with this utter sh1te!!!!

Pull the unit and be done with that off fellow, install it or a newer unit in another garage close by...

I'd almost want to go down someday with a snips and attempt to use it.. and when looney Larry comes out, just ignore him.... the charger is not his property (though it may be on his property).

There is only one other 50kW charger in the city, often in use. (Near the Tower Hotel). Makes our friends' one an important piece of infrastructure in the city.. At least nobody dares leave their car there:D

It's listed as unavailable/red on esb app now so at least fair warning is given.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It's listed as unavailable/red on esb app now so at least fair warning is given.

There used to be a section for notes for each charger on the old app

It's a shame they removed it because they could put something about how the owner might randomly block the charger

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    There is only one other 50kW charger in the city, often in use. (Near the Tower Hotel). Makes our friends' one an important piece of infrastructure in the city.. At least nobody dares leave their car there:D

Yeah I heard he told someone a few months ago that he was shutting the shop for the evening and his "security force" would be there soon

Doesn't sound dodgy at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

WattsUp wrote: »
    That means at 400V it can deliver 200kW (400V * 500A). At 800V the cable could carry 500A giving 400kW but the charger can only supply 350kW. So at 800v it will be limited to 437A current as the charger can only supply max 350kW ( 800V * 427A)

My SR+ should pull almost 170kW then, close to the 500 amps (355v, warm battery, low SoC etc.), as it did on a V3 SuC recently.

czgzlGZ.jpg

I shall investigate...........Mayfield......that's Cork isn't it :D.

Kramer wrote: »

I shall investigate...........Mayfield......that's Cork isn't it :D.

I think the people of Mayfield might take issue with that statement ;)

Kramer wrote: »
    My SR+ should pull almost 170kW then, close to the 500 amps (355v, warm battery, low SoC etc.), as it did on a V3 SuC recently.
    There is another report on a Model3 with 69 kW on plugshare and saw another eniro with 50ish. It must be limited in fact 175A *380V => 66ishkW. Could be current limited to 175A?

We will need to look closer at the cabinets and see how many they are. Are there x3 per kiosk?
    Anyway they seem all online now. x6 CCS. Party?

Party planned for father's day by Colin Whelan via Facebook.

In terms of cabinets see this drone footage top left for cabinets. Not my photo, credits to taker

555698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Westport is like the old free for all this weekend. All the chargers are pretty much in use all the time. The place could do with another 10 or so charging locations.

sh81722 wrote: »
    Westport is like the old free for all this weekend. All the chargers are pretty much in use all the time. The place could do with another 10 or so charging locations.

All 2 of them ;)

This is the problem with most small towns, as soon as they get a tourist rush their extremely limited chargers get overwhelmed

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

All 2 of them ;)

This is the problem with most small towns, as soon as they get a tourist rush their extremely limited chargers get overwhelmed

This exact scenario was brought up on Facebook ievoa page. Kinsale, 1 DC unit only, out of order. Dingle, 1 AC unit only, 1 port dead, the other regularly used by a local. Sadly ecars said they've no plans to add AC units for the foreseeable future. Tourist destinations were mentioned to ecars saying they'd need more units but the response was quite negative. No plans to look at units along the wild Atlantic say etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

Why the reluctance? We're at the start of an explosion in EV car numbers?

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Party planned for father's day by Colin Whelan via Facebook.

In terms of cabinets see this drone footage top left for cabinets. Not my photo, credits to taker

555698.jpg
    Cheers I saw that. I counted them myself before. So 2 per each stall which would mean load balance?
    Anyway another TM3 reporting 60kW ish on plugshare today. Interesting to see an ID. 4

Advertisement