Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This exact scenario was brought up on Facebook ievoa page. Kinsale, 1 DC unit only, out of order. Dingle, 1 AC unit only, 1 port dead, the other regularly used by a local. Sadly ecars said they've no plans to add AC units for the foreseeable future. Tourist destinations were mentioned to ecars saying they'd need more units but the response was quite negative. No plans to look at units along the wild Atlantic say etc etc.

Yeah, you'd wonder what they're thinking

Even the Dublin councils are trying, and failing, to get ESB to install more AC chargers

This is one of those situations where one of those charging trucks would be perfect

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-high-power-charging-trucks-mobile-power-sources-22285.html

Enough power for 30 Taycans and can charge 10 in parallel, which would automatically make it the largest hub in Ireland. Plugs into the local grid and just charges up

Just wheel this out in whatever touristy spot is popular that weekend and advertise ahead so all the EVs turn up there :)

You could even make some money on the side, since having that trailer in a town would guarantee a bunch of EVs to turn up, and a bunch of EV drivers spending money on the local economy, the local town council or chamber of commerce might chuck a few euros to book the charging trailer :)

Hmm, I wonder does Porsche sell these, I'm sensing a business opportunity :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Maybe trying to put pressure on local councils to install their own chargers. Not working so far as far as I know.

The grant is for 75% of the capital cost, up to €5000, or €10000 if its a double socket charge point.

From October last year:
    Since the launch of the scheme, the SEAI has received requests from twelve local authorities for applications under the scheme with two local authorities submitting applications, which are currently being assessed for approval, to install a total of 24 charge points within their respective jurisdictions.

Sources:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/public-charge-point/
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-10-13/33/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyway - Any word from eCars on where the next super hub will be??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Wait till this one works.. Reports from the attemped meet up on Sunday not good as people had the queue for the 50 KW triple because the UFCs failed to charge.
    I'm @ Ionity Kill where I got 153 kW @21% SOC so not the car

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

i'd be fairly pissed off if I was relying on using a charger on a trip back up the country and it is being hogged on a Sunday by those doing an unnecessary meet up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

woodseb wrote: »
    i'd be fairly pissed off if I was relying on using a charger on a trip back up the country and it is being hogged on a Sunday by those doing an unnecessary meet up.
    First come first served.
    It's a pay for charging basis so anyone paying is as "entitled" to use the charger as anyone else.

Why is your "trip back up the country" any more "necessary" than a meetup? What makes you qualified to make that assessment. Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Unfortunately I’ve had to use public charging a lot more the past few months. Coynes and that charger in Gorey seem to always have a queue at them ever since restrictions loosened. Maybe it’s just a temporary influx of people visiting the likes of Courtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mupchease wrote: »
    Unfortunately I’ve had to use public charging a lot more the past few months. Coynes and that charger in Gorey seem to always have a queue at them ever since restrictions loosened. Maybe it’s just a temporary influx of people visiting the likes of Courtown.

I've been up at Ionity at Gorey a few times now (mostly the evening around 7-8pm) and I'd be lucky to see one other car plugged into any of the chargers.

I was there at 4.30 recently and there was one free Ionity unit and no one at the ESB one.

ELM327 wrote: »
    First come first served.
    It's a pay for charging basis so anyone paying is as "entitled" to use the charger as anyone else.

Why is your "trip back up the country" any more "necessary" than a meetup? What makes you qualified to make that assessment. Get real.

travelling a fair distance to specifically use a charger is probably a bit down the list of necessity. Good charging points are a scarce resource (else we wouldn't have this thread), so just use them fairly, no use moaning about PHEVs taking up space. Same reason i don't use chargers at shops unless i actually need the charge to get home, just basic etiquette

Don't assume the worst in people. These guys are long time EV drivers who I bet would disconnect their car and let you charge.
    I was at Gorey last week and we stopped because of the kids. There was nobody at either Ionity or ecars so I plugged in @ecars. 5 minutes later a white 2012 leaf comes. I moved to Ionity and let the granny car. Surely 5 mins later an exact copy pulls besided. The first one stays another 5 minutes and leaves. None of us talked to another except maybe a nod.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    Don't assume the worst in people. These guys are long time EV drivers who I bet would disconnect their car and let you charge.
    I was at Gorey last week and we stopped because of the kids. There was nobody at either Ionity or ecars so I plugged in @ecars. 5 minutes later a white 2012 leaf comes. I moved to Ionity and let the granny car. Surely 5 mins later an exact copy pulls besided. The first one stays another 5 minutes and leaves. None of us talked to another except maybe a nod.

oh, but long term EV guy above just told me it was 'first come, first served' tough ****:p

travelling a fair distance to specifically use a charger is probably a bit down the list of necessity. Good charging points are a scarce resource (else we wouldn't have this thread), so just use them fairly, no use moaning about PHEVs taking up space. Same reason i don't use chargers at shops unless i actually need the charge to get home, just basic etiquette
    oh, but long term EV guy above just told me it was 'first come, first served' tough ****:p

It is first come first served.
    Now if I'm at a meetup for 2 hours and dont need to charge instantly and someone else stops, the likelihood is we're all standing around chatting and of course can move the car if I'm asked. As we all would.

But not if I was met with your attitude. There's no requirement to move. And if I'm paying for the charge and I'm there first - there's no requirement at all for any "etiquette"

Technically he is right. And probably he won't let you ahead. It is good we're all different.
    The meet up was to see the new ultrafast hub which is meant to have a total of 6 CCS plugs. I drove to it especially on Friday as well and overshoot it and came back to make sure I reach it with a low SoC. All for educational purposes. Mine if not for the community.

Mupchease wrote: »

I was at Coynes cross several times in the past few weeks, only once have I seen a queue. That time a Model 3 had plugged in and I saw an ID.3 pulling up.

The one time I did charge there recently, I parked, plugged in, went to bathroom, got a coke from BK, sat for 2 mins to let the car get to the 10 mins mark, then left

I was there yesterday when seemingly everyone was heading south and there was a Leaf unplugging and then the charger was free

It does get a fair bit of use, but I don't think the queues are bad except for the odd time

I have found there are still less queues now than there were at the end of 2017 start of 2018. Chargers were free then and impossible to use without queueing first. Still now, you may get one car ahead of you - but the proliferation of multi charger locations means that this is getting less and less. Especially for Tesla owners and owners of Ionity supported cars

Now if I'm at a meetup for 2 hours and dont need to charge instantly and someone else stops, the likelihood is we're all standing around chatting and of course can move the car if I'm asked. As we all would.

But not if I was met with your attitude. There's no requirement to move. And if I'm paying for the charge and I'm there first - there's no requirement at all for any "etiquette"

I got it, you'll move if your asked, but there's no requirement to move and you'll decide based on my attitude? Can you see the problem there?

seems like I touched a nerve here so i'll leave it be, but you shouldn't be expecting people to ask you to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Maybe trying to put pressure on local councils to install their own chargers. Not working so far as far as I know.

The grant is for 75% of the capital cost, up to €5000, or €10000 if its a double socket charge point.

From October last year:

Sources:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/public-charge-point/
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-10-13/33/

Galway council advised me they are
    " awaiting the guidance from the Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) Taskforce established by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (DTTAS) and the Department of Communications, Climate Action and the Environment (DCCAE) to local authorities to ensure a consistent and future proofed approach to the rollout of EV charging infrastructure before we directly engage in providing charging for E-Cars."

The Phase 2 report was published in November 2019. Anyone know what the latest is with this Taskforce?

I've highlighted the SEAI grants for local installations and am waiting to hear back from them, not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He's thankfully not representative of the EV community ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

This reminds me only last week I was charging in the Swords Pavillions shopping centre in 1 of the 4 designated esb eCars parking space.

All 4 designated ecars were occupied but one wasn't plugged in charging.....a Honda Fit / Hybrid !! No wonder because it's not a plug in ev and it wasn't the 1st time I've seen it parked there.

A woman in a Nissan Leaf came over and asked if I'm going soon, then got really annoyed when she saw the Honda Fit and then left.

When the driver of the Honda Fit came back and hour later I asked her "Do you mind parking else where in future as that space id for electric cars"

Her reply:
    "This (Honda Fit Hybrid) is half electric, so she can park there"

I was gobsmacked and said:
    It's a hybrid car and you don't plug it in which is the whole point of that charging unit you've parked in front of and blocked for real plug in EVs or Hybrids. Your Honda Fit isn't half electric or even a plug in!

She then knowing she couldn't bluff anymore, said that she didn't know !..........even though she knew she was parked in a special parking EV bay with the other 3 cars all plugged into 2 separate charge point boxes, one directly in front of her car.

This behaviour alone is why a lot of the time charge points get ICEed because people think "Ah shur, nobody uses EVs so I'll park here and shur I'll just act ignorant if anyone says anything, there's no parking fines for parking in qn EV Bay anyway !

Were you? I thought the HPCs were free to use for the first few weeks?

In any case, while I agree that it's first come first served, I think using chargers when you don't need to isn't really fair to other users

It's easy to say "I'll move it if someone asks" but it's worth bearing in mind that you might be away from your car or others might not be comfortable asking you to move

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When the driver of the Honda Fit came back and hour later I asked her "Do you mind parking else where in future as that space id for electric cars"

Her reply:

It's a hybrid car and you don't plug it in which is the whole point of that charging unit you've parked in front of and blocked for real plug in EVs or Hybrids. Your Honda Fit isn't half electric or even a plug in!

I’ve seen this (admittedly plug in) Prius parked in the EV spot at my local Tesco at least 10-15 times over the last few months but never plugged in…… In a carpark with countless available spaces closer to the door, the driver of this car insists on parking and blocking one side of the EV charger…… I genuinely think people think that once they have any form of a hybrid/battery car, they can use these spaces regardless of if plugged in or not…

555860.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

This reminds me only last week I was charging in the Swords Pavillions shopping centre in 1 of the 4 designated esb eCars parking space.

All 4 designated ecars were occupied but one wasn't plugged in charging.....a Honda Fit / Hybrid !! No wonder because it's not a plug in ev and it wasn't the 1st time I've seen it parked there.

A woman in a Nissan Leaf came over and asked if I'm going soon, then got really annoyed when she saw the Honda Fit and then left.

Her reply:

She then knowing she couldn't bluff anymore, said that she didn't know !..........even though she knew she was parked in a special parking EV bay with the other 3 cars all plugged into 2 separate charge point boxes, one directly in front of her car.

This behaviour alone is why a lot of the time charge points get ICEed because people think "Ah shur, nobody uses EVs so I'll park here and shur I'll just act ignorant if anyone says anything, there's no parking fines for parking in qn EV Bay anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

So has anyone managed to get more than 50/60kW from this hub, when it's been working?
    My lowly SR+ has taken 167kW from a V3 SuC, sat at 145kW at multiple V2 SuCs & 140kW from Ionity. I'll be disappointed if these new 350/200kW units can't match that.

If not, are they throttled/restricted at present?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was at Coynes cross several times in the past few weeks, only once have I seen a queue. That time a Model 3 had plugged in and I saw an ID.3 pulling up.

The one time I did charge there recently, I parked, plugged in, went to bathroom, got a coke from BK, sat for 2 mins to let the car get to the 10 mins mark, then left

I was there yesterday when seemingly everyone was heading south and there was a Leaf unplugging and then the charger was free

It does get a fair bit of use, but I don't think the queues are bad except for the odd time

image.png

10am on Mondays is certainly busy (across the last 4 weeks) (a "48" would mean it was 100% occupied for that hour).

image.png

10am on Mondays is certainly busy (across the last 4 weeks) (a "48" would mean it was 100% occupied for that hour).

I think that white ID.3 I saw either lives nearby or commutes that way and relies on that charger. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same car in my travels on the M11, or else white ID.3s are extremely popular in Wicklow :)

A 58kWh battery would probably be sitting there for the full 45 mins before moving, so that possibly explains some of the weekday traffic. You'd just need 1 other car to pull up in the same hour to be fully occupied

I’ve seen this (admittedly plug in) Prius parked in the EV spot at my local Tesco at least 10-15 times over the last few months but never plugged in…… In a carpark with countless available spaces closer to the door, the driver of this car insists on parking and blocking one side of the EV charger…… I genuinely think people think that once they have any form of a hybrid/battery car, they can use these spaces regardless of if plugged in or not…

Wasn't there a thread of funny pics a while back of EV charging spaces marked "green cars only" and people parking green painted cars?

If you put a facility down people will abuse it. For example the spaces in pavilions are marked "ecars" AFAIK, which doesn't explicitly say EV charging only

I got it, you'll move if your asked, but there's no requirement to move and you'll decide based on my attitude? Can you see the problem there?

seems like I touched a nerve here so i'll leave it be, but you shouldn't be expecting people to ask you to move.

You didnt "touch a nerve", just you spouted nonsense implying that your trip was somehow more necessary than someone elses. Unless you're an emergency vehicle your trip is no more or less important than mine.

Therefore the only breakpoint is, as before, first come first served.

MJohnston wrote: »
    He's thankfully not representative of the EV community wink.png

Neither are you.
    Thankfully one differentiator is that my barbs are in the open but yours are sly and thinly veiled with "smileys"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

MJohnston wrote: »
    He's thankfully not representative of the EV community ;)

I don't think I've ever arrived at a charger where someone else was charging and them immediately disconnected after ranking my journey on a scale of perceived importance. It's first come first and people will carry on charging until they've charged up as much as they need.
    I extend the curtesy of giving people an indication of how much longer I'm going to be, i.e. I'll tell them I'm going to be another 15 minutes.

I did on one occasion have a Nissan Leaf tell me only had a small battery whilst he was in a queue to charge, I pointed out that I was currently charging and that the e-Golf was next in the queue, I kinda just shrugged. I'm not going to facilitate queue jumping.

You didnt "touch a nerve", just you spouted nonsense implying that your trip was somehow more necessary than someone elses. Unless you're an emergency vehicle your trip is no more or less important than mine.

Therefore the only breakpoint is, as before, first come first served.

I stand by saying someone's stop to use a charger on a trip from A to B is more necessary that someone's trip to a charger in order to use the charger :pac:

But you also said you would move if you were asked. How could someone ask you to move without implying that their charge was more necessary that whoever is there first?

anyway. we're going around in circles here so no use boring everyone else (though tbf it sounds like you probably like going around in circles with no purpose:P)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

But you also said you would move if you were asked. How could someone ask you to move without implying that their charge was more necessary that whoever is there first?

I find the best way to approach this is instead of asking someone to move (Get out of my way I'm more important) it's better to ask how long do they think they'll be charging for, that's usually enough to start the conversation and reasonable people will move when they have enough and are aware you need to charge.

Advertisement