Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Kramer wrote: »
    So has anyone managed to get more than 50/60kW from this hub, when it's been working?
    My lowly SR+ has taken 167kW from a V3 SuC, sat at 145kW at multiple V2 SuCs & 140kW from Ionity. I'll be disappointed if these new 350/200kW units can't match that.

If not, are they throttled/restricted at present?
    There is a check-in on plughsare with 120kW. The rest is 60ish and also on facebook they are saying the same.
    Having 2 cabinets per kiosk and based on the datasheets we found I'm thinking that it can achieve 350A max but it does load balancing when 2 cars are connected. It is very possible they want to observe the temperature loading and they keep the split active and only 175A is achievable at the moment. I'm speculating though but I don't have any other explanation. Today I've got 153 kW peak at Ionity with similar conditions. Hopefully ecars would let us know. BTW is the Delta HPC at Porlaois Plaza still power limited?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

innrain wrote: »
    BTW is the Delta HPC at Porlaois Plaza still power limited?

App now says it's 150kW... I'm sure previously it said limited..

Also I see the CHAdeMO plug in J14 (the one on the hyper unit) is showing as red and unavailable to charge!!! problems already??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Also I see the CHAdeMO plug in J14 (the one on the hyper unit) is showing as red and unavailable to charge!!! problems already??

I think it's teething problems, there were reports of the CCS plugs doing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

App now says it's 150kW... I'm sure previously it said limited..

Somebody is charging on the CCS side. Let's see what happens when they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Get the washing in at Tesco Celbridge and then go in and do the shopping.....

20210614-173932.jpg

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Get the washing in at Tesco Celbridge and then go in and do the shopping.....

20210614-173932.jpg

I’ve thought about printing up a load of A4 ‘explainer sheets’, and keeping them in the car with a stick of Pritt-Stick, and when coming across this scenario ‘applying’ an ‘information leaflet’ to their windscreen……

Of course to keep costs down, the A4 paper would be the cheapest/poorest quality I could find, so I’m that it won’t come off in 1 piece but rather break apart into multiple pieces….

I was going to use wallpaper paste, but a tube of print-stick would be a lot more practical..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I’ve thought about printing up a load of A4 ‘explainer sheets’, and keeping them in the car with a stick of Pritt-Stick, and when coming across this scenario ‘applying’ an ‘information leaflet’ to their windscreen……

Of course to keep costs down, the A4 paper would be the cheapest/poorest quality I could find, so I’m that it won’t come off in 1 piece but rather break apart into multiple pieces….

I was going to use wallpaper paste, but a tube of print-stick would be a lot more practical..

I would reconsider the wallpaper paste, you could have a pot and brush ready to go for a quick application

In this case speed it probably an important consideration :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

I see this as a design issue. It doesn't help that its right beside the door and in front of other services (laundry/parcels). It only encourages the lazy, ill-informed or don't cares. I also think it should be laid out more like fuel pumps than parking spaces.

I see this as a design issue. It doesn't help that its right beside the door and in front of other services (laundry/parcels). It only encourages the lazy, ill-informed or don't cares. I also think it should be laid out more like fuel pumps than parking spaces.

Unfortunately it's a common problem with EV charging spaces, they're often in prime parking spots and are likely to be poached

Frankly if an elderly person or someone with young kids wanted to park closer to the shop I don't think I'd fault them much. Everyone else is fair game however

There are also sites like Maxol Turvey near Donabate where the charger is shoved at the back with the bins like they're ashamed of it

Definitely a balance to be struck, you want the spaces in convenient, visible and well lit locations, but not too good that they'll get ICEd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's a bit of a Tesco problem in my experience. People will literally park on the path right outside the door if they possibly can. Or in the trolley bay outside the door. Or the set-down area outside that. People just want Tesco to be as close to a drive-thru as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

https://www.stickermule.com/eu/custom-stickers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The "set down area" is ridiculous, lazy people just park there.

Also I can see the reasoning they put the chargers near laundry and parcel motel, there's already electricity there.

Still a pain, I've seen that multiple times there. Who do you complain to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

University of Limerick used to do this. You would not park inconsiderate every day. They used to apply to driver window, extra sticky and breakable. They just need no parking signs with tow away.by local company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »
    I find the best way to approach this is instead of asking someone to move (Get out of my way I'm more important) it's better to ask how long do they think they'll be charging for, that's usually enough to start the conversation

Ah, the old passive-aggressive tactic :pac:.
    innrain wrote: »
    There is a check-in on plughsare with 120kW. ......I'm thinking that it can achieve 350A

If that was a Tesla, then it would suggest a 350A limit alright. That would be disappointing.
    I may be passing there soon.......I'll report back (I have "Scan my Tesla" so able to see amps/voltage etc.)

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's a bit of a Tesco problem in my experience. People will literally park on the path right outside the door if they possibly can. Or in the trolley bay outside the door. Or the set-down area outside that. People just want Tesco to be as close to a drive-thru as possible.

To be fair, I'd be quite happy to spend as little time in or around Tesco as possible :)

But you're correct, parking get a lot of abuse around shops in general. If there's a space someone will park there

If there isn't a space, someone will still park there :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ah, the old passive-aggressive tactic :pac:

I don't see it as passive aggressive, if someone is going to take anywhere between 2mins and 45mins then I think it's reasonable to ask them how long they plan to be.

I don't see it as passive aggressive, if someone is going to take anywhere between 2mins and 45mins then I think it's reasonable to ask them how long they plan to be.

Don't forget they can plug in again after 45 mins, could be 90 mins :rolleyes:

I remember one time getting stuck at Lidl Drogheda in the Leaf where there was an E-Tron and I-Pace charging off the free 50kW unit

Talk about worst case charging queues, waiting for nearly 90 mins before they were done, I only needed 15 mins in the end to get where I was going

I guess to some, the very act of asking how long they'll be, would by itself, make them feel pressured, or even a little intimidated.
    I've had people (well, me one & Mrs. K another), knock aggressively on the side window while ensconced charging & busy concentrating on doing something on my mobile (Mrs. K doing work paperwork). One was deliberately being aggressive or "forward" & one didn't realise how intimidating it was.

Now I'm the first to engage usually & always conscious of not wanting to delay anyone, so I could imaging someone of a quieter disposition feeling uncomfortable being asked "how long you'll be".
    Given the pandemic & how many people are nervous for other reasons these days too...........

Anyway, there's a simple solution - more chargers!
    Glad to see eCars are making some progress at J14.

6 or 8 more proper hubs & I'll not be critical of them again :pac:.

ELM327 after being asked "will you be long?"

top-head-exploding-gif.gif?fit=280%2C158&ssl=1

:D.

I guess to some, the very act of asking how long they'll be, would by itself, make them feel pressured, or even a little intimidated.
    I've had people (well, me one & Mrs. K another), knock aggressively on the side window while ensconced charging & busy concentrating on doing something on my mobile (Mrs. K doing work paperwork). One was deliberately being aggressive or "forward" & one didn't realise how intimidating it was.

Now I'm the first to engage usually & always conscious of not wanting to delay anyone, so I could imaging someone of a quieter disposition feeling uncomfortable being asked "how long you'll be".
    Given the pandemic & how many people are nervous for other reasons these days too...........

Yeah personally I find it difficult to ask the barista in the coffee shop to fix my order when they forget to put cream on top :o

So asking someone politely how long they'll be and pleading my case to them to let me use the charger would tak a lot of willpower on my part

It was a pretty close knit community back in 2018, but there's a lot more EVs on the roads now so you can't be sure of what response you'll get if you engage with someone.

We've gone from 13,000 to over 17,000 EVs in 5 months based on the recent sales figured. Could be over 20,000 by end of 2021 at that rate.

Unfortunately probability dictates that means more ar!eholes will be driving EVs. Gone are the days wen you were guarunteed 15 mins of ecellent banter at with other EV drivers comparing range and charging speeds :(
    Anyway, there's a simple solution - more chargers!
    Glad to see eCars are making some progress at J14.

6 or 8 more proper hubs & I'll not be critical of them again :pac:.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure that 1 Windows 95 server they have controlling the whole backend will croak again soon and the entire network will go down :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's a 22kW AC at Tesco... Can't imagine it'll be busy.

It's a real shame that simply asking a question can be seen as an intimidating act these days.

That's a bit much alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It's a 22kW AC at Tesco... Can't imagine it'll be busy.

Parking is free at Tesco, no need to plug in and turn down the charging speed:D:D:D:D

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Parking is free at Tesco, no need to plug in and turn down the charging speed:D:D:D:D

Who's going to spend AC charging amount of time at Tesco!? Anything else of interest there too keep people busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I don't know who is going to use them, but I do know some people plug in to get cheap parking.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I don't know who is going to use them, but I do know some people plug in to get cheap parking.

Utilised that the other week. Had to run into the English market, grab a couple of things. I was 16 minutes, cost 13c. Handy when I'm parking in town for "that's a rip off having to pay for an hour, I'll only be 10 minutes" amount of time. My charging history will attest to how infrequent that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Who's going to spend AC charging amount of time at Tesco!? Anything else of interest there too keep people busy?

My weekly shopping trip takes 45-60 minutes including loading it into the car afterwards. Obviously that time depends a lot on how much “help” I get from the little ones. At 16.5kW (for me), that’s a decent enough charge and worth plugging in for.

I do agree though, 22s at Tesco are green-washing of the highest order, it just happens to suit me.

I’m more of a pop up to my local Tesco 5-6 times a week type, and shop day to day mostly, and I have to say, and to my shock, the AC 22 there is actually quite busy… there are a few cars I see there quite regularly…. So I assume they are apartment dwellers, or simply never went down the home charger route….

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

This is very true!

I would hazard a guess that the majority of EV drivers are able bodied and therefore can walk a distance to the shop. Or is there some guideline dictating that EV bays must be near an entrance to facilitate the minority of EV drivers that are disabled? Or is it due to cabling issues?

Same issue occurs at disabled spaces with illegitimate people abusing the space including with blue badge permits. But, I think abled bodied people parking in a disabled space is a worse offence.

I think councils are to blame here also as if anyone knows the eCars on Nelson Street near the Mater , it's a waste of money installing a chargepoint there as the majority of the time it's ICED, and no wonder there's no markings on the space stating it's an EV space. Likewise, the eCars chargepoint on North Wall Road near the 3 Arena, there used to be 2 designated spaces for the chargepoint but now one has been turned into a disabled space. This is not only a random disabled space but now only allows 1 EV to charge at the 2 port chargepoint unless you're a disabled EV driver.

Anyone know if a car can be clamped/ticketed for parking in a disabled bay illegitimately? I know ICE cars don't if parked in a EV bay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ELM327 after being asked "will you be long?"

top-head-exploding-gif.gif?fit=280%2C158&ssl=1

:D.

You know, as someone who has ASD and the accompanying social anxiety, this is pretty close to the truth! :cool:

Advertisement