Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ESB saying on Twitter that the Waterford saga has moved on to it's next chapter... An engineer visited site yesterday, and apparently the unit is back available again.....

Your move Waterford garage guy........

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ESB saying on Twitter that the Waterford saga has moved on to it's next chapter... An engineer visited site yesterday, and apparently the unit is back available again.....

Can't wait for the film adaptation of that one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When they say engineer, did they send Anna down with a pair of scissors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m taking bets:

6/1 - the return of the picnic bench and a more aggressive note
    10/3 - a giant bin bag draped over the whole unit

Or my favourite at 9/2 - tiger teeth in front of it and anti personnel land mines strategically deployed to get you as you flee

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm really regretting being between EVs right now, would love to drive down there and charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm really regretting being between EVs right now, would love to drive down there and charge.

Go down there, park at the charger, and complain to the owner that the air pump for the tyres isn't working :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I was thinking to ask if there was a microwave to heat up my coffee and did he have some free sugar.
    Seeing as he complained EV owners are cheap before.

Just walk in with your coffee in hand, and ask where the sugar sachets & stirrers are??

Along with the toilets and the tap water. Brilliant. Oh and where can I charge my phone and laptop, and can you take this bag of rubbish.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Along with the toilets and the tap water. Brilliant. Oh and where can I charge my phone and laptop, and can you take this bag of rubbish.

Be sure to ask him to seperate out the recycling as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By complete coincidence, I now have to go to Waterford to pick up an xbox, wish me luck!

liamog wrote: »
    By complete coincidence, I now have to go to Waterford to pick up an xbox, wish me luck!

Bring a saw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Relax, it should be fine :D.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Good luck..

It's operational alright, dropped by to have a look earlier. Didn't need to charge, but discovered there was a delivery lorry blocking the charger.

Was going to go in and tell owner how disgusted I was that he allowed deliveries to block the charger, but my better judgement decided that would be unwise..:)

Good news charger is unblocked and working, now wheres that bag of household waste I've been carrying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Imagine there was a meet organised at this one in Waterford... I think yer man would physically remove the charger.

silver_sky wrote: »
    Imagine there was a meet organised at this one in Waterford... I think yer man would physically remove the charger.

Great result, maybe they'll move it somewhere with fewer pallets and picnic benches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

OK that's agreed then, just need to arrange an EV for ELM.
    This one looks like it fits the bill.

YzU4YWI3Mjc1Yjg3NTVhZjNlMTAyMTRmZmE4MzZiMznUjLjlYta6hgRgfCieAMeoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODE1NDIwNTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/piaggio-porter-electric/28226142

silver_sky wrote: »
    OK that's agreed then, just need to arrange an EV for ELM.
    This one looks like it fits the bill.

YzU4YWI3Mjc1Yjg3NTVhZjNlMTAyMTRmZmE4MzZiMznUjLjlYta6hgRgfCieAMeoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODE1NDIwNTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/piaggio-porter-electric/28226142

And he can go in and complain the charger has the wrong plug :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

For those out of the loop, can anyone give a short summary? Sounds like a saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

For those out of the loop, can anyone give a short summary? Sounds like a saga.

It’s an age old tale. Boy courted girl. Boy asked girl to move in but then she realised that the boy wasn’t as rich as they made out. Girl then proceeded to throw the boys belongings out of a window and leave oddly aggressive notes on his door.

In this case, eCars are the boy and some demented forecourt retailer in Waterford is the girl. He agreed to host an FCP and then, for reasons known only (and hopefully) to him, he decided it was a bad idea but can’t (for reasons known only to eCars) get rid of it so instead he plops picnic benches in front of it, puts up signs saying it’s out of order and, more recently, hogtied the charging cables behind it so no one could use it. In between, he moans about EV drivers and threatens anyone trying to charge there.

....and there was that time he came out to an EV driver charging their car, and told them it was a pedophiles car...

markpb wrote: »
    It’s an age old tale. Boy courted girl. Boy asked girl to move in but then she realised that the boy wasn’t as rich as they made out. Girl then proceeded to throw the boys belongings out of a window and leave oddly aggressive notes on his door.

In this case, eCars are the boy and some demented forecourt retailer in Waterford is the girl. He agreed to host an FCP and then, for reasons known only (and hopefully) to him, he decided it was a bad idea but can’t (for reasons known only to eCars) get rid of it so instead he plops picnic benches in front of it, puts up signs saying it’s out of order and, more recently, hogtied the charging cables behind it so no one could use it. In between, he moans about EV drivers and threatens anyone trying to charge there.

He also fenced off the charger once, let's not forget that

To be fair, his treatment of EVs seems to swing with his moods. I think someone mentioned he was cleaning up around the charger once and helped them plug in when they pulled up, which was pretty cool

He also told someone else they were driving a pedo's car, not so cool

There was talk about him getting trouble from some people using the charger. My guess is that someone was sitting on the charger all day back when it was free and not buying coffees from the shop

I also heard something about a gun being pointed at him which sounds like BS.

I'm not saying all EV drivers are pure and virtuous souls, I just don't think anyone planning on shooting someone would consider using a Nissan Leaf with very limited range or a highly recognisable Tesla as a getaway car :D

Based on my experience in Naas, I met some very unfriendly inconsiderate People when I had to charge there after each shift or should I say, wait, so I could well believe this Man had to put up with a lot of crap from People, sure, he probably doesn't help the situation now but I bet his actions now are because of the same minded People.

He probably was told the charger would bring a lot of extra business and it probably never happened and might not be helped by attitude he may have received from some EV drivers. I mean some People on some of the EV Facebook groups were complete nutters when I was in the groups and I met some of them at chargers, they're probably still on facebook causing trouble. Best thing ever I did was delete my facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He must have some other “beef” though. Presumably he gets paid for hosting the charger and it’s not his electricity so it’s costing him nothing.

Whether people go in and buy a coffee is up to them and not in the contract.

My guess is eCars are slow to pay their rent and so he keeps closing it down. Just a guess but it’s somewhat logical based on how he regularly blocks it for a few days and then magically back in action again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

KCross wrote: »
    My guess is eCars are slow to pay their rent and so he keeps closing it down. Just a guess but it’s somewhat logical based on how he regularly blocks it for a few days and then magically back in action again.

Do esb actually pay rent for their stalls to be there, be it private or public land..... Just can't see how that is viable if that is true or perhaps explains the lack of expansion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Laviski wrote: »
    Do esb actually pay rent for their stalls to be there, be it private or public land..... Just can't see how that is viable if that is true or perhaps explains the lack of expansion.....

They try not to (council car parks etc) but they possibly do like in this case. I know easygo is offering revenue sharing with site owners (i.e. no rent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

if esb (or easygo/ionity) doing the planning installing setup and maintenance of said units with zero cost to land owner, i think they should be very happy. shops have good margins on coffee and tea along with the rest of their offerings.

Laviski wrote: »
    shops have good margins on coffee and tea along with the rest of their offerings.

I'd say this guy was expecting (promised?) fleets of EV's charging at his shop, and every one of then in buying at least 3 coffee's, a sandwich/breakfast roll, a Mars bar, a package (sic) of crisps & a newspaper........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'd say this guy was expecting (promised?) fleets of EV's charging at his shop, and every one of then in buying at least 3 coffee's, a sandwich/breakfast roll, a Mars bar, a package (sic) of crisps & a newspaper........

Back in 2018, I met my son and his family there and we went in for a coffee and sandwich while my car was charging. The seating area was nothing to write home about and felt a bit like a cheap seaside diner, oilcloth table cover and all. It wouldn't draw anyone in. I haven't repeated the experience since.

The fact that this fella is hostile to EVs would be another factor in avoiding going in for a coffee and eats. Maybe if he didn't take his ire out on EV drivers when he gets the hump, we might feel more welcome..... maybe not though, it's still not a pleasant place to eat.

Advertisement