Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I must admit I was very disappointed yesterday, left Dublin with a full charge, was able to charge at Waterford with no drama, then charged at Kilcullen. No drama at either Waterford or other cars at Kilcullen, where's all the evgeddon that seems to impact PHEV owners on motorways?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Back in 2018, I met my son and his family there and we went in for a coffee and sandwich while my car was charging. The seating area was nothing to write home about and felt a bit like a cheap seaside diner, oilcloth table cover and all. It wouldn't draw anyone in. I haven't repeated the experience since.

The fact that this fella is hostile to EVs would be another factor in avoiding going in for a coffee and eats. Maybe if he didn't take his ire out on EV drivers when he gets the hump, we might feel more welcome..... maybe not though, it's still not a pleasant place to eat.

EV drivers love being told "security is coming" when they're forced to charge (up until recently it was the only fast charger on the N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Back in 2018, I met my son and his family there and we went in for a coffee and sandwich while my car was charging. The seating area was nothing to write home about and felt a bit like a cheap seaside diner, oilcloth table cover and all. It wouldn't draw anyone in. I haven't repeated the experience since.

The fact that this fella is hostile to EVs would be another factor in avoiding going in for a coffee and eats. Maybe if he didn't take his ire out on EV drivers when he gets the hump, we might feel more welcome..... maybe not though, it's still not a pleasant place to eat.

Agree with all that, also while fine dining you will probably have diesel delivery trucks idling close by..

To be fair to him, he has always been friendly enough with me. It's clear however that he doesn't like some EVs/drivers. He did say that he has a parking problem at his garage, probably due to being next door to a Private Hospital where it will cost €4 to grab a spot if you are lucky enough to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder does he target EVs, or is he a bit of a grumpy f!cker with everyone. Given the state of the shop you describe, I kind of suspect the latter.

Generally if a shop owner is getting annoyed at people for not buying stuff they need to rexamine their business model

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

liamog wrote: »
    I must admit I was very disappointed yesterday, left Dublin with a full charge, was able to charge at Waterford with no drama, then charged at Kilcullen. No drama at either Waterford or other cars at Kilcullen, where's all the evgeddon that seems to impact PHEV owners on motorways?

Any chance of drama was going to be in Waterford.

What impact on phev owners are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

kanuseeme wrote: »
    What impact on phev owners are you talking about?

PHEV/REX owners seem to complain most about busy chargers/the state of the network and how great it was when they left their BEV at home and didn't get stuck at a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Going to Dingle next week and one side of the only charger on the entire peninsula is out of action, and has been for at least a week now.

It's still out of action as well. I reported it on the app a few days and also rang them up to see if they could reboot it or anything but no! It's not a small peninsula either.

Luckily when I got to Dingle town the charge was available but I was mindful of percentage battery left. I had 39 percent battery left when I got to Killarney and checked the app to see the Randles garage one was available so plugged in, I had just plugged in when another ev pulled up so they had to wait for me to finish, I unplugged as soon as I had enough juice and another ev was qeueing by then as well.
    I hate hate only one charger at each location, it's a disaster. I could have gone onto Kenmare but was afraid that there would be a queue there and I needed to be on schedule and traffic had already been bad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maintenance to the servers this weekend, and a new app on the way....

System maintenance Sunday 20th June

Dear customer,

Over the coming weekend June 19th / 20th, we will be performing some maintenance related activities on our systems. As a result, the charge point map on our website, your EV account online, and the ecar connect mobile app will be unavailable from 05:30am to 08:00am on Sunday morning. There may also be some short periods of unavailability throughout the day as the work is completed. During these times, the charge point network will continue to be accessible via the charge point access card. We recommend that you bring your access card with you if you intend to use the network during this time.

Following on from this work, we will be rolling out an updated version of the ecar connect mobile app. If you already use it, we kindly ask that you install the new version when prompted to do so.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Should you require any assistance over the weekend, remember that our customer care team are available 24 x 7 on 01-2583799.

Best wishes,
    The ESB ecars team

Maintenance to the servers this weekend, and a new app on the way....

Hope this doesn't scupper my hard work at http://test.ecars-stats.com/plotly.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I wasn’t expecting a queue at Park Rí on Saturday morning :-/ ID.3 and Leaf have been charging for 35 and 20 minutes so hopefully I won’t spend longer queueing than charging.

Edit: I’m getting 24kW on the HPCP again so I gave up, switched to FCP where I’m getting almost twice as far. I’m lost!

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I wasn’t expecting a queue at Park Rí on Saturday morning :-/ ID.3 and Leaf have been charging for 35 and 20 minutes so hopefully I won’t spend longer queueing than charging.

Edit: I’m getting 24kW on the HPCP again so I gave up, switched to FCP where I’m getting almost twice as far. I’m lost!

So... What ESB hubs actually provide full power?

Park ri - low power from HPC
    Kilcullen - ok
    Portlaoise - 150kW is limited to 50kW afaik.
    Galway plaza - ok
    Athlone - ok
    Carrick on Shannon - ok
    Ballinlack - no power at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Kilcullen - ok
    Galway plaza - ok
    Athlone - ok
    Carrick on Shannon - ok

Nah, this seems to be me. ELM said he charged at full power at this site. I’m back again at 11% SoC, got 57kW briefly before it fell to 24kW so I switched to FCP again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I posted here recently to say I couldn't get my ID3 on the new 50KW unit at Enniscothy. Well I tried again this morning and still getting the "unable to start charge - consult vehicle wallet" pop up ony dash.

I know the charger works because there was an ID4 using it the other day and I don't think there's anything wrong with my car because it charges fine at home, on 22KW units and on Ionity so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: I'm using my We Charge card.

Edit: tried again when I got back to the car with the dogs and used my eCars card and the charge started so maybe it's some issue with the We Charge card but it works on the 22KW units.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kilcullen - ok
    Galway plaza - ok
    Athlone - ok
    Carrick on Shannon - ok
    markpb wrote: »
    Nah, this seems to be me. ELM said he charged at full power at this site. I’m back again at 11% SoC, got 57kW briefly before it fell to 24kW so I switched to FCP again.

Yup, I've charged many times there in my S and also in a loaner 3 SR+ without issue. It seems to max out at around 130kW but it definitely works as a HPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Was in the Sunny south east this weekend and the CCS on the 50kw DC unit in Dungarvan, St Augistinian Car Park (C7J5M) doesn't work.
    AC socket is fine and I have reported it through the app, but its still showing up as working.

Was in the Sunny south east this weekend and the CCS on the 50kw DC unit in Dungarvan, St Augistinian Car Park (C7J5M) doesn't work.
    AC socket is fine and I have reported it through the app, but its still showing up as working.

Yeah. Looks like CCS has been flipping between PREPARING and FINISHING states for the last day. Not faulting, but not working either. I'd say if you rang them up they'd have rebooted it and got it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

ah the AC was fine, I wandered around the town for a couple of hours. But i would have been a bit annoyed if I needed to charge quickly.
    would have never thought of calling them, must do that next time to see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Black Knight, are you able to see what eCars stats are on broken or faulty chargers at any given time?
    How long is it taking them to get chargers back working from the time the are marked as offline?

would have never thought of calling them, must do that next time to see if they can help.

The 1 day I had to rely on eCars for a long trip down to Cork and back in February, the 2nd eCars charge I needed was at Rochestown and teh unit wouldn't start the charge..... so it was panic stations.. Called them up and the guy reset the unit and all in about 10 minutes later the car was charging....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The 1 day I had to rely on eCars for a long trip down to Cork and back in February, the 2nd eCars charge I needed was at Rochestown and teh unit wouldn't start the charge..... so it was panic stations.. Called them up and the guy reset the unit and all in about 10 minutes later the car was charging....
    That one has a really bad reputation on plugshare albeit the last checkin is from February.
    I might have to do a longish drive this week (finally) and I was trying to get myself acquainted with the chargers on the Dublin - Enniscorty - Cork - Dublin route

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    That one has a really bad reputation on plugshare albeit the last checkin is from February.

That would have been me....

I don't do a whole lot of checking anymore, but when an issue is encountered, I believe its important to check in and flag it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't see the new app expected to be launched today on android after the updates yesterday. Anyone see any updates on android or iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

zg3409 wrote: »
    I don't see the new app expected to be launched today on android after the updates yesterday. Anyone see any updates on android or iPhone?

Got an update on iOS yesterday. Version 6219.1.
    Changelog: "Minor bug fixes and server upgrade"

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Got the Android update yesterday. Same changelog content.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ethernet wrote: »
    Got an update on iOS yesterday. Version 6219.1.
    Changelog: "Minor bug fixes and server upgrade"

Coming soon: version 6220
    Changelog: "This one works" :pac:

:D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It seems like it remembers my filter choice now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd say if you rang them up they'd have rebooted it and got it working.
    ah the AC was fine, I wandered around the town for a couple of hours. But i would have been a bit annoyed if I needed to charge quickly.

The problem with that is if someone arrived just after you left for your few hours & needed a DC charge. eCars wouldn't reboot the unit once you were charging on AC, so they would have been fresh out of luck.
    That's the way it used to be anyway.

Also many of these upgraded DC chargers are in car parks with single spaces & a car hooked up to the AC for hours physically blocks access to the DC connectors.

cannco253 wrote: »
    Black Knight, are you able to see what eCars stats are on broken or faulty chargers at any given time?
    How long is it taking them to get chargers back working from the time the are marked as offline?

Technically yes. Practically, ugh.

You'd be surprised how often units go into UNAVAILABLE, OFFLINE, FAULTED state. Mostly only briefly, but it happens more often than you'd imagine.

It's an interesting one though. I guess I could try pull (from my data) where a unit has been in an OFFLINE or FAULTED state for more than 15 minutes and get a metric for mean time to recovery. Sounds more trivial than it would be I fear. I'll have a think about that when i'm expanding out http://test.ecars-stats.com/ with "unavailable" heatmaps/summaries.

As for what units are faulted at any given time, yeah, that's trivial. Below is the faulted/offline/unavailable units in the last 5 minutes.

2021-06-21 16:19:22|Car Park beside ESB Offices, Abbeyleix Road, Portlaoise, Laois|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Car Park beside ESB Offices, Abbeyleix Road, Portlaoise, Laois|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Car Park beside ESB Offices, Abbeyleix Road, Portlaoise, Laois|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Circle K Service Station, Castlemaine Street, Athlone, Westmeath|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Circle K Service Station, M7 Junction 23 (Barack Obama Plaza), Tipperary|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Donnelly's Garage, 57 Moy Road, Dungannon, Tyrone|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Donnelly's Garage, 57 Moy Road, Dungannon, Tyrone|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Donnelly's Garage, 57 Moy Road, Dungannon, Tyrone|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Five Ways Shops & Texaco Service Station, 101 Armagh Road, Newry, Down|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Fort Service Station, 234 Shore Road, Belfast, Antrim|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Fort Service Station, 234 Shore Road, Belfast, Antrim|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Kee's Circle K Service Station, N15-R232 Junction, Laghey, Donegal|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Marian Hall Car Park, Off William Street, Birr, Offaly|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Park Pointe Shopping Centre, Glenageary Road Upper, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Park Pointe Shopping Centre, Glenageary Road Upper, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin|TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Sprucefield Shopping Centre, Off Lisburn-Hillsborough Road (A1 & M1), Hillsborough, Down|TYPE_2_TETHERED|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Texaco, Junction One Shopping Centre, Ballymena Road, Antrim, Antrim|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5
    2021-06-21 16:19:22|Trory Circle K Filling Station, 236 Irvinestown Road, Enniskillen, Fermanagh|TYPE_4_CHADEMO|5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

innrain wrote: »
    I might have to do a longish drive this week (finally) and I was trying to get myself acquainted with the chargers on the Dublin - Enniscorty - Cork - Dublin route

So glad I don't have to use that one anymore, was always a gamble on whether it would work or not.

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to speculate what the new ecars app will bring?
    Plug and play charging?
    Reserving chargers?
    Filter by speed of fast chargers?
    Better reporting of units (categorised rather than the current free form reporting)?

Or...
    Nothing at all.

Advertisement