Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The map will allow you to toggle between satellite and regular map view…..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Be still my beating heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Does anyone want to speculate what the new ecars app will bring?
    Plug and play charging?
    Reserving chargers?
    Filter by speed of fast chargers?
    Better reporting of units (categorised rather than the current free form reporting)?

Or...
    Nothing at all.
    But i thought we got it yesterday.

Is it not this one?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556552&stc=1&d=1624354973
    the changelog says "server upgrade" so i think that this is. I can see the icon for the filter yellow in the homepage if you filter out something. I'm pretty sure it was a black before.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556554&stc=1&d=1624355211
    Are you expecting something else?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

innrain wrote: »
    But i thought we got it yesterday.

Is it not this one?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556552&stc=1&d=1624354973
    the changelog says "server upgrade" so i think that this is. I can see the icon for the filter yellow in the homepage if you filter out something. I'm pretty sure it was a black before.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556554&stc=1&d=1624355211
    Are you expecting something else?

Thought so about the filter icon too, though I can't say I use the app all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Does anyone want to speculate what the new ecars app will bring?

To be fair to eCars, Tesla charge you a €9.99 per month subscription for that :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Is J14 Mayfield still in testing or fully operational now - are there still issues with the new chargers?

Might be passing that way tomorrow so would be good to know if anyone has successfully charged there on the 200/350 kW units in the last few days.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »
    Is J14 Mayfield still in testing or fully operational now - are there still issues with the new chargers?

Might be passing that way tomorrow so would be good to know if anyone has successfully charged there on the 200/350 kW units in the last few days.

They're still free, so still in testing. From my stats I can see they're in heavy use today. All 3 350kW were in use at the same time at one stage.

The 200kW plugs seems less reliable. It's been unavailable quite a bit today. Perhaps a glitch when the 350kW is being used at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

How long would it take to charge an ID4 1st on a 350kW plug

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How long would it take to charge an ID4 1st on a 350kW plug

It maxes out at 125kW so same time as a 150kW charger. I think 10-80% takes about 35 mins at max speed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

I used an esb charging point for the first time today in Pavilions SC in Swords, just to try out an esb charger before I really need one in a hurry. Charged using the card for 55 mins (about 10kWh).

When I check the app it shows the charge session correctly but with a cost of €0. Is there some delay with the cost getting updated here? Or did I manage to get a free charge? :) My account is just a basic prepay one with some credit on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

dave oc wrote: »
    I used an esb charging point for the first time today in Pavilions SC in Swords, just to try out an esb charger before I really need one in a hurry. Charged using the card for 55 mins (about 10kWh).

When I check the app it shows the charge session correctly but with a cost of €0. Is there some delay with the cost getting updated here? Or did I manage to get a free charge? :) My account is just a basic prepay one with some credit on it.

Did you get an email when it ended with cost? If not or it shows zero you just got a free one!

Did you get an email when it ended with cost? If not or it shows zero you just got a free one!

Didn’t get an email at the end, only when it started. Looks like a free charge so :) I just pulled the cable out before leaving, wasn’t sure if I needed to do something on the unit to finish.

Didn’t get an email at the end, only when it started. Looks like a free charge so :) I just pulled the cable out before leaving, wasn’t sure if I needed to do something on the unit to finish.

On some of the units you need to validate the card to unlock the cable if it's still charging. I guess they must unlock when the car is full

Sounds like you got a freebie, DO NOT report it, you might have hatched upon free charging :)

I think some of the units go to free vend when they can't contact ESB. In the multistorey in pavilions the signal is rubbish so it's quite possible the chargers will be out of contact

Unfortunately it isn't consistent that they go free vend, AFAIK most of the units won't let anyone charge if they lose their connection

Not sure if you need to tap card on those ones in the pavilions to leave, however I'll be there tomorrow and check.

I unplugged the cable from the car first, and was then able to unplug the cable from the charger. It was my first time using esb (and I was in a bit of a rush) so wasn’t exactly sure what to do. I just kept it simple and tried unplugging.

I unplugged the cable from the car first, and was then able to unplug the cable from the charger. It was my first time using esb (and I was in a bit of a rush) so wasn’t exactly sure what to do. I just kept it simple and tried unplugging.

You'll be grand, it'll take payment (or not in your case) once the charging session completes

For rapid chargers you'll definitely have to tap your card and stop the charger if it's still running. The plug locks in place during a charging session to stop it being accidentally removed and causing an arc which might damage the pins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I think you're onto something. My last session is also zero cost for 10kWh. Checked the app and on the AC chargers appears "variable rates" where the cost used to be. Must be a feature of the new server upgrade 😊

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You'll be grand, it'll take payment (or not in your case) once the charging session completes

For rapid chargers you'll definitely have to tap your card and stop the charger if it's still running. The plug locks in place during a charging session to stop it being accidentally removed and causing an arc which might damage the pins

There's failsafes other than the lock.

In the type 2 (the top bit of the ccs plug) the control is done through the pilot wire, and that is the shortest pin.

Even if it was brutally yanked out, that would disconnect first and the contactors will open before the pins in the plug get disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That does annoy me about the various different chargers, some don't plug in first before picking the charger, some tap for stopping or just remove, urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Charged the blue whale at bishops quay, Limerick yesterday, ESB 22kw AC point. It appears to be free at that moment, as in zero cost. Go, go go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Got a free charge yesterday also in Athlone although was charged today.

Yesterday I started the charge with the app and today the app wouldn't start it so had to use the card, don't know if that had any bearing on whether I got charged or not.

Pavilions today level 0 B socket, charged €3.51 for 13kwh so they are charging for it. May have been just an anomaly due to the server

Charged for an hour at Plunkett train station in Waterford

What a terribly placed charger, 2 parallel spaces just as you come into the car park along the concrete wall

One of the spaces is more or less totally inaccessible between the charger, the wall and the entrance gate

The other one was great fun, reversed in the first time and realised that I wouldn't be able to open the drivers door and still be in the lines

So I went nose in and realised the plug would be sticking out into the traffic on a narrow corner

Reversed in again and left the car sticking out over the lines. Figured the big lump of an ID.4 was easier to see than a Type 2 cable

Basically the only car that will fit there properly is a Zoe. Front charging cars are probably okay, Tesla's can go front in if they have a long cable to reach all the way around the car

Cars with the charging port on the right, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies in advance if this is a remedial question!

I'm off to the sunny south east for a week from Friday with the ID4 and am planning to use the granny cable to charge from the holiday home. However, if this doesn't go to plan for whatever reason I may need to use an eCars charger, something I haven't done in a long long time. I have charge cards but they were issued when charging was free and I've never signed up for a membership etc. Am I correct in saying I can use any eCars charge point on a one off basis directly (and paying through) through the app without signing up or topping up etc? I know I can set up a PAYG membership but have no interest in the minimum €20 top up as I might never use it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'm off to the sunny south east for a week from Friday with the ID4 and am planning to use the granny cable to charge from the holiday home. However, if this doesn't go to plan for whatever reason I may need to use an eCars charger, something I haven't done in a long long time. I have charge cards but they were issued when charging was free and I've never signed up for a membership etc. Am I correct in saying I can use any eCars charge point on a one off basis directly (and paying through) through the app without signing up or topping up etc? I know I can set up a PAYG membership but have no interest in the minimum €20 top up as I might never use it. Cheers!

call them on 01 258 3799

Interesting that you shell out 50 big ones on a mo-mo and then don't invest 20 euro in a bit of security, which is a better investment than insurance: note to self, maybe thats why you cant afford 50 big ones on a mo-mo :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm off to the sunny south east for a week from Friday with the ID4 and am planning to use the granny cable to charge from the holiday home.

First off, always have alternate charging plans/options. What if the granny charger trips the holiday home, or what if it simply doesn't charge the car fast enough for your needs?

Am I correct in saying I can use any eCars charge point on a one off basis directly (and paying through) through the app without signing up or topping up etc?

I'm fairly sure this is not possible.
    I know I can set up a PAYG membership but have no interest in the minimum €20 top up as I might never use it.

But you might have to use it next week? What harm is it having an eCars card in the car with €20 credit on it? The credit won't expire. Better to be ready for that time you might need to charge in public, rather than faffing about on the path beside a charger trying to load credit into your account.

You could be parking up beside an eCars AC unit for an hour or so, so why not plug in and get 15-20% charge off it (at 4-5 times the speed of the granny charger), or you could be stopping in a garage for a coffee and toilet break, so why not plug into a DC charger and get 15-20% while in the shop??

When I'm away, and beyond home range, I'll always take any opportunistic charges I can get, if nothing more than to give peace of mind for that time your 'planned' charging option fails for whatever reason. I always keep my eCars account topped up to between €20-€30.... why not? I'll use it eventually!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You can start a charge from the eCars website without filling in personal details.
    You have to start the charge, it will then ask for details for a receipt, ignore this, but you must accept the t&cs. You will then be taken to a payment screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can use your We Charge card. I don't think that's any more expensive than a normal eCars card is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

The granny charger is very, very slow.

I used mine and got 2.3kw an hour, which will take an awful long time to put any kind of decent amount of charge in the battery.

In the end, I just went to the nearest esb charger, and got the same charge I wanted in 45 minutes that would have taken 12h+ on the granny charger. Absolutely worth it, especially if it is only when on holidays.

I'm also not sure, I'd be comfortable leaving it plugged in all night.

I'm with Andy, do any opportunistic charges you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

call them on 01 258 3799

Interesting that you shell out 50 big ones on a mo-mo and then don't invest 20 euro in a bit of security, which is a better investment than insurance: note to self, maybe thats why you cant afford 50 big ones on a mo-mo :D
    ????
    Already called them. 40 big ones actually. Am well used to 'security' re charging - have owned EVs for six years.
    First off, always have alternate charging plans/options. What if the granny charger trips the holiday home, or what if it simply doesn't charge the car fast enough for your needs?
    Exactly what I'm doing! Range should be fine to get there and back (~400km round trip), but want to get half a charge or so for pootling around and a bit of comfort. Granny cable should be fine - eCars is the alternate in case there's a problem with using granny cable.

What harm is it having an eCars card in the car with €20 credit on it? The credit won't expire.
    Because I won't use it most likely (possibility of next week excluded) - work and home charging does me fine. I haven't used an AC point since before they started charging for charging, and haven't fast charged in over three years. If I needed to have credit to use the charger I'd certainly have done it, but I was confirming that there was an alternative of simply paying at the charge point on the off chance I'll need to use it.
    liamog wrote: »
    You can start a charge from the eCars website without filling in personal details.
    You have to start the charge, it will then ask for details for a receipt, ignore this, but you must accept the t&cs. You will then be taken to a payment screen.
    Thanks! Just what I needed to know!
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can use your We Charge card. I don't think that's any more expensive than a normal eCars card is it?
    They didn't give me one!

Advertisement