Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

colm_c wrote: »
    The granny charger is very, very slow.

I used mine and got 2.3kw an hour, which will take an awful long time to put any kind of decent amount of charge in the battery.

In the end, I just went to the nearest esb charger, and got the same charge I wanted in 45 minutes that would have taken 12h+ on the granny charger. Absolutely worth it, especially if it is only when on holidays.

I'm also not sure, I'd be comfortable leaving it plugged in all night.

I'm with Andy, do any opportunistic charges you can.

As above, I don't really need too much charge - 20/30kWh or so should be plenty. Just planning on using the granny cable for a few hours on a few days when we're around the house and not in bed. First time using a granny cable in six years of EV ownership believe it or not!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Check your granny charger before you go, when I sold my e-Up! turned out the granny charger had gone to the electronics bin in the sky, I hadn't noticed because we had a proper charge point but the new owner needed to rely on it for a while. Better to find out before it's needed

liamog wrote: »
    Check your granny charger before you go, when I sold my e-Up! turned out the granny charger had gone to the electronics bin in the sky, I hadn't noticed because we had a proper charge point but the new owner needed to rely on it for a while. Better to find out before it's needed

Yeah, will be trying it out today / tomorrow. Brand new so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

????

They didn't give me one!

Apply for one in the app. You'll have one in a few days.

Whereabouts are you going in the South East? There's a few of us ID owners up here now.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Apply for one in the app. You'll have one in a few days.

Whereabouts are you going in the South East? There's a few of us ID owners up here now.

Rosslare. Although judging by the forecast, looks like it'll be the rainy south east!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

AFAIK Murphys SuperValu Rosslare Harbour had 2x22kw chargers installed recently.
    Not on Plugshare but worth checking out if you're in the area.

cannco253 wrote: »
    AFAIK Murphys SuperValu Rosslare Harbour had 2x22kw chargers installed recently.
    Not on Plugshare but worth checking out if you're in the area.

Handy as we're in St Helens only up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rosslare. Although judging by the forecast, looks like it'll be the rainy south east!

Kelly's might let you use the destination chargers over there if that's any good to you?

Wexford VW have a high speed unit if you're stuck and they're only 10 minutes up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

dave oc wrote: »
    I used an esb charging point for the first time today in Pavilions SC in Swords, just to try out an esb charger before I really need one in a hurry. Charged using the card for 55 mins (about 10kWh).

When I check the app it shows the charge session correctly but with a cost of €0. Is there some delay with the cost getting updated here? Or did I manage to get a free charge? :) My account is just a basic prepay one with some credit on it.

Quick update: I eventually did get charged for the session. Must have been some delay in assigned the cost to my account.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Go to Kelly's Resort (La Marine) for some lunch, they have 7 type 2 chargers there that are just plug & play, and you'll get 11kW from them..
    556654.png

We went for lunch last year and it was fantastic.

They are Tesla destination chargers, and 4 of them are for Tesla's only, but 3 of them will work on any Type 2 car.
    (red sign - Tesla only, grey sign - any Type 2 car)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Exactly what I'm doing! Range should be fine to get there and back (~400km round trip), but want to get half a charge or so for pootling around and a bit of comfort. Granny cable should be fine - eCars is the alternate in case there's a problem with using granny cable.

FWIW, I just did 380km roundtrip from Dublin to Waterford with no fast charging

Just did an hour on a 22kW charger and got back about 15% battery

We didn't do much driving while we were there (~30km) so destination charging wasn't a priority but if you can do a day or so on the granny cable then that should be plenty

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Charged the blue whale at bishops quay, Limerick yesterday, ESB 22kw AC point. It appears to be free at that moment, as in zero cost. Go, go go!

They caught up with me over night as well. Charge now on my account. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

looks like i'll be doing my first long trip in the leaf this week. Heading from the north east to killarney and then on to midelton and dunmore east.

I've only ever charged the car at home.

So I have signed up to easygo and stuck a few bob on the account. From my little research I should be fine on the motorways. However when I get to kilarney it looks like I'll have to use a public charging point 22kw for a slow charge and hope the few that show up on the map are free when i get there.

I am assuming that its a case of when ever I see a free charger just get what I can from it ?

Is the time limit of 45min only on the fast chargers 50kw ?

They caught up with me over night as well. Charge now on my account. Boo!

As The Eagles once famously sang;

"You can plug out anytime you like, but you can never get it for free"

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

whippet wrote: »
    looks like i'll be doing my first long trip in the leaf this week. Heading from the north east to killarney and then on to midelton and dunmore east.

I've only ever charged the car at home.

So I have signed up to easygo and stuck a few bob on the account. From my little research I should be fine on the motorways. However when I get to kilarney it looks like I'll have to use a public charging point 22kw for a slow charge and hope the few that show up on the map are free when i get there.

I am assuming that its a case of when ever I see a free charger just get what I can from it ?

Any ESB Fast charger. 50kW, 150kW, 220kW, 350kW.
    EasyGo have overstays too on their fast chargers I believe. It'll be mentioned in their app regardless.

Killarney Fast charger isn't too busy from what I see.
    You can check out its usage history (for the last 4 week) here:
    http://test.ecars-stats.com/

I'll try get similar for slow chargers this week, but my time is limited.

Yes, When I'm away, and beyond my home range, I'll always take any opportunistic charge I can get, whether fast or slow...

Yes, AC chargers have no overstay fee (except the 43kW ones attached to eCars triple head DC units)

Have you got the PlugShare app? It's a great tool to find chargers, and see how recently they've been used i.e. how reliable they are.... as well as checking out of teh parking is pay or free, if chargers are for hotel customers or open to the public etc.....

Any ESB Fast charger. 50kW, 150kW, 220kW, 350kW.
    EasyGo have overstays too on their fast chargers I believe. It'll be mentioned in their app regardless.

Killarney Fast charger isn't too busy from what I see.
    You can check out its usage history (for the last 4 week) here:
    http://test.ecars-stats.com/

I'll try get similar for slow chargers this week, but my time is limited.

thats a great resource !!

Also - as a total noob to public charging ... am i right to assume that the CHAdeMO charges will have a tethered cable ?

Also - as a total noob to public charging ... am i right to assume that the CHAdeMO charges will have a tethered cable ?

Yes, but if a car is using the CCS plug on a 50kW unit, don't plug in the CHAdeMO and try to start a charge as it will disconnect the CCS car, and probably upset the driver.....

It's a flaw in the eCars 50kW triple head units.... so if you arrive and a car is using CCS you need to wait for them to finish (if you wanted though, you could use the AC plug while you wait for the CCS car to finish, so the time waiting won't be all wasted).

Yes, but is a car is using th eCCS plug on a 50kW unit, don't plug in the CHAdeMO and try to start a charge as it will disconnect the CCS car, and probably upset the driver.....

now this is becoming complicated !!

Are the charging units well marked?

So in essence if I go to a 50w charger and there is someone using the CCS plug I need to wait in line until they are finished or can I use a slow charge while waiting?

On the flip side - If I am charging and someone plugs in a CCS will it stop my car from charging ?

So in essence if I go to a 50w charger and there is someone using the CCS plug I need to wait in line until they are finished or can I use a slow charge while waiting?

Yes, you will need to wait for the CCS car to finish before you can use the CHAdeMO plug, and also yes, you can slow charge using the AC tethered plug at your cars AC limit (6.6kW?) while waiting on the CCS car to finish.

On the flip side - If I am charging and someone plugs in a CCS will it stop my car from charging ?

No, for some reason it only works the other way around.

Bear in mind though it's only the 50kW units, so on a 150kW unit with CCS & CHAdeMO plug, you are fine to plug in and charge away, regardless if the CCS side is being used. The same applies to the new HyperHub at J14/Mayfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

An unmarked Garda car parked and blocking the ESB eCars chargepoint for well over an hour in Bedford row in Limerick. Are parking fines actually issued for ICE cars parked in eCars spaces?

557182.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

This is Limerick, no parking fines are issued for anything, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

Can you use the ESB charging card in north? Also any good charging locations on Dublin->Belfast route? (Preferably closer to Belfast)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

aspasp1 wrote: »
    Can you use the ESB charging card in north? Also any good charging locations on Dublin->Belfast route? (Preferably closer to Belfast)

Yes plus the ESB eCars normal 22kw chargers are free to use unlike in the south!

Theres an eCars AC 22 at The Quays shopping centre which I've used a fair bit, as well as one at the Outlet in Banbridge.

Don't know many beyond that other than the DC network is almost non existent....
    It seems like they are slowly upgrading some of the AC22's up there the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

a few along that route alright. The outlet at Banbridge as mentioned, Sprucefield shopping centre. There is one at 50kw one at Barbican Centra Dromore on the way past that is also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,644 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

aspasp1 wrote: »

Your fast-charging options online along that route:

Applegreen Lusk
    Ionity CityNorth
    Applegreen Castlebellingham
    Barbican Centra (NI)
    Sprucefield (NI - hard to find, but it's way up in the corner of the car park behind the McDonalds)
    Boucher Road (NI)

The NI ones are free, but as a result they're rarely free!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

An unmarked Garda car parked and blocking the ESB eCars chargepoint for well over an hour in Bedford row in Limerick. Are parking fines actually issued for ICE cars parked in eCars spaces?

557182.jpg

You should call the Guards on them :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

MJohnston wrote: »
    Your fast-charging options online along that route:

Applegreen Lusk
    Ionity CityNorth
    Applegreen Castlebellingham
    Barbican Centra (NI)
    Sprucefield (NI - hard to find, but it's way up in the corner of the car park behind the McDonalds)
    Boucher Road (NI)

The NI ones are free, but as a result they're rarely free!

Many thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

⚠ UNAVAILABLE CHARGER ⚠

�� Circle K/Centra, Rochestown Road, Rochestown, Cork City (C96TM)

�� Please note that the DC connectors (CCS and CHAdeMO) on this charger are currently unavailable. The AC connector is still available on this unit.

⚡ We expect to have the DC connectors back in operation next week. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will keep you updated.

�� Find your nearest charge point on our 'ecar connect' app or our real-time map: https://esb.ie/ecars/charge-point-map

Advertisement