Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'll be interested to see what cars they turn up in, what's the bet it'll be diesels :pac:

More interesting to see what price ecars put on the units. They had them all at HCP prices, even the 50kW CHAdeMO (on the HCP) was 37c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Is it working properly now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

peposhi wrote: »
    Minister of Transport and ESB Ecars head of division to officially open the hub at Junction14 tomorrow morning

So has anyone managed to get anywhere near 150kW from this hub, let alone 200kW+?
    I only managed 60kW odd, when I should have pulled significantly more & have heard from many others also ,who seemed to top out in the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Kramer wrote: »
    So has anyone managed to get anywhere near 150kW from this hub, let alone 200kW+?
    I only managed 60kW odd, when I should have pulled significantly more & have heard from many others also ,who seemed to top out in the 60s.

Good info and that’s kinda worrying Kramer. What car were you charging and on past experiences what speed do you reckon should you have been getting based on your SOC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The annoying thing with these throttled high power units is they still charge the higher rate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Irishjg wrote: »
    Good info and that’s kinda worrying Kramer. What car were you charging and on past experiences what speed do you reckon should you have been getting based on your SOC.

I had the Tesla Model 3 SR with a nice warm battery after hooning it up the M7 towards Dublin from Limerick :eek:.
    SoC was in the low 20s so I should have easily hit 100kWs.

Hopefully Eamon will give them the go ahead to give those units the full beans tomorrow :pac:.

Plugshare suggests a few have gotten over 100kW. 135kW the highest recorded

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A week off Boards and we get 6 new HyperHubs……

oh wait, the network is still rubbish!!

I think 1 of the units at Mayfield was replaced. Unit 1 (I think) has a new chargePointId. I think it was a bit flakey, as when the 350kW plug was being used the 200kW would show as faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I'd say it is still flaky. It seems that they are unable to charge 2 cars in the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Spotted an E-Tron parked at the AC units in pavilions shopping centre in Swords not charging

Lazy f!cker didn't even pretend to plug the cable in

Shame!!!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

"Ok. Emergency meeting! How can we still swing this as an 8 car hub? We were pushing our luck before when 1 of the cars had to be a Leaf and 1 had to be charging on the 22kW AC, but now we're screwed!"

"What if 2 of the cars are Toyotas?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Greenergy has agreed with ESB to introduce fast and high power EV charging points at selected Irish retail forecourts operating under Greenergy’s Amber and Inver brands.

To start, 16 forecourts have been identified across the Inver and Amber portfolio and include a mix of company owned, company leased and dealer sites. The charging units will be rolled out in two-phases, with over half of the sites to be completed over the coming 18 months.

These sites will include a mix of fast and high power chargers

Full article

https://changinglanes.ie/greenergy-and-esb-to-bring-more-ev-chargers-to-irish-forecourts/

I think it is a good piece of news.

Looking at their locations

https://www.amberoil.ie/locations/?location=1-3%20McCurtain%20St,%20Duntahane,%20Fermoy,%20Co.%20Cork,%20Ireland&category=54&radius=200

none are on the main motorways. So it is very possible to see some chargers on the Limerick to Cork route or Limerick to Galway. I don't really know these forecourts so I don't think it is har to narrow down possible locations. I wonder how the other forecourt chains will receive this news. Would Circle K bring their own at major locations?

PS there is no preview and one link seems parsed while the other one not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

‘Fast’ charge points…..

so some garages are getting 22kW AC chargers…….

#progress

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s the general consensus with chargers?

VW are going with 11KW AC with 100+ DC

skoda are similar but going with 50+ DC.

is there any marque still punching AC over DC?

"Fast" means 22kW in NI. 'fast' in Ireland means 50kW+

No. The only one was Renault with Zoe which got up to 43kW AC but dropped it for CCS in the last models. Most of the 2020 and newer are 11kW on AC and around 100kW on DC. Skoda with 50kW as standard is money making exercise as they try to make people buy the 100kW option.

If you look at Top 10 models sold this year Leaf is the only one with max 7kW AC and 50kW* DC

Oh I left out Ioniq. So it is 7kW? It will be discontinued I suppose win the Ioniq5 starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The next Renault-Nissan cars are coming with 22kW AC and 130kW~ DC. Porsche Taycan and the big Audi e-Tron also come with optional 22kW AC.

• Advertisement

22AC is so so handy, 50kms+ range in half an hour great to get you home

I agree, wish it would become standard. It would make public AC chargers a lot easier to live off of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why don't we want 50kw to be standard. I'd much rather the 200km+ charge in 40 minutes

I think the context of that post is we want 50kW chargers to be considered the minium level of "fast chargers", other posts were alluding to 22kW charge points as being "fast"

Oh don't get me wrong, there's a very narrow subset of cars which don't need DC charging. City cars like the Dacia Spring for example

Ultimately however, it's a lot cheaper for utilities to install AC chargers so cars might as well be equipped to use them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats UK parlance. Thankfully here we dont use it. Standard/slow/destination is 3-22kW , fast is 43-50 and high power is 150.

Granted Mayfield has lots of CCS plugs, but it's now significantly the most used DC unit in Ireland. Helps that it's free I guess.

The dominating CCS heads this last week has taken a detour from the norm of being NI dominated.

1. Mayfield
    2. Shane Retail Park, Boucher Road, Belfast
    3. Randles Garage (Nissan), Muckross Road, Killarney
    4. Sprucefield Shopping Centre, Off Lisburn-Hillsborough Road (A1 & M1), Hillsborough, Down
    5. The Galway Plaza, Junction 16, Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway
    6. Circle K M9 Kilcullen, M9, Co. Kildare
    7. Lucan Shopping Centre (SuperValu), Newcastle Road, Lucan
    8. Garvey's Car Park, Off Matt Talbot Road, Tralee, Kerry

Tralee and Killarney. Almost never see them in high demand.

Does that track if there's only a single plug in use?

I could see this slightly corrupting the stats in the case of Mayfield because if 2 or more cars are charging in parallel then their sessions cross over then this would push the usage on Mayfield up. If this happens a few times then it could show as several hours of continuous usage while the site is only at 25% utilisation

We haven't had many hubs up to this point so we might need to rethink the stats 😁

I'd believe Mayfield is the most popular due to placement, price and novelty factory, but it's worth checking just to be sure

The stats on the site are minutes a type of socket is in use at a site over an hour, divided by the number of sockets at that site. All divided by 60, multiplied by 100 for percentage. So 2 CCS plugs in use at the same time for a full hour is 33% usage since there's 6 CCS plugs at that site.

The metric I quoted above is the Sum of the number of minutes CCS sockets are in use at site.

• Advertisement

Cool, looks like the stats are well equipped for the legion of high power hubs coming in the near future :D

It looks like usage topped out around 40% average, so still a good chance of getting a free plug even if Mayfield is getting a lot of use

Advertisement