Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

18 months! Fantastic. 8 1/2 years (102 months) until diesels/petrols can no longer be sold.

This silly little 16 forecourt pilot study (which is phase 1 and an inevitably delayed phase 2) is going to use almost one fifth of the available time before you can no longer buy a new diesel. Good lord above we are screwed. And thats without a delay.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. I had that in mind when developing it.

Could break down usage by unit too if there was a want for it. Could be handy to see how used the HPC is vs the 50kW at the mini hubs. Way down on the priority list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Stayed in a hotel in Kerry at weekend without destination charging, and won't do it again. eCars 50kW chargers out of order all weekend in Killarney and Kenmare. Slow chargers not within walking distance of where you are staying, or where you are going (beach carpark, hiking trailhead!) are an imposition on a short trip. I felt lucky to have Tesla Birdhill on the way down and back (a fantastic experience really), but that is not available to everyone

And I forgot to mention the 4 electric vehicles I saw circling around the 50kW charger that seemed to be not working for anyone in Birr on the way down

At what point do the economics work for all the enterprising Kerry garage owners, serving tourists for generations, to install fast chargers, instead of publicly funded eCars?

• Advertisement

Don't easygo make this a no brainer. They install the unit and share the profits with the garage. At least that's what I was lead to believe.

I could maybe add some stat around "hours unavailable" to the site: https://ecars-stats.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fast charge and a valet would be their best option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think I did the math a while back and if you can get something like a dozen customers a day then the charger pays for itself after 3 or 4 years

However if all of those customers bought a coffee and a pastry then it pays off in a year and a half

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

And how does this time-frame compare to the one for another bit of equipment businesses invest in? In how many years a wind farm pays for itself? SEAI promised some incentives for business who install chargers but I won't hold my breath.

In the last weeks I heard of lots of hotels installing EV chargers. It is probably the sheer of people asking, is the pointing heads driving one or the increased marketing efforts of private companies like easygo or epower. The last one I picked up was Mount Juliet before that Druids Glen. And I'm happy they move from the free offering. They see it as a business case. Which it should be. Instead of free parking they get a tenner a day from some customers. Not much money but if they steal a customer from a similar business that's better.

I think the urban service stations like Randlers in Killarney have lost the moment. Unless they reinvent themselves somehow the EV drivers won't just drive to a petrol station to sit there. I didn't find one at which you can vacuum the car while waiting. If they are like me without home charging they'll find a way to charge while shopping or having a meal at the local pub or a jog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's also a lot cheaper to install AC chargers vs DC ones so recouping the cost is much easier

In the end it's down to usage patterns, if a business installs a DC charger and sees no real benefit then it was money wasted.

I guess the general lack of EVs in Kerry, plus the fact that we're only just starting to see widespread adoption of longer range EVs in the last few year, made it too risky for garage owners there. Plus the general nonsense being shouted from their local TDs about EVs being pushed up hills didn't help

However, that's also a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. If you don't install chargers because EVs don't visit the area, then funnily enough the EV drivers will go somewhere else

With luck some bright businesses will start to notice the shift in visitor patterns and start investing in chargers now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Charging today. Got the notice at 31 minutes. It sort of reads like a confirmation and not a warning. Thankfully not.

You should get one after minute 41 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

on IOS I see the full text on the push notification. Seems like the confirmation vs warning is only on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is there any reason why ESB chargers charge your car at different speeds?

I used the charger in killorglan (22kw) for a fraction over an hour and got 11.2 KW. I also used a 22kw charger in cahirseveen for almost 1hr 50 minutes and got 12.8kw. Both times I was the only car there charging.

Is there any reason why ESB chargers charge your car at different speeds?

I used the charger in killorglan (22kw) for a fraction over an hour and got 11.2 KW. I also used a 22kw charger in cahirseveen for almost 1hr 50 minutes and got 12.8kw. Both times I was the only car there charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you have a lower battery level when you started your charge at the first location?

In the second case the 3 phase was not working and the car charged @7kW single phase. Tesla tells you if the 3phase is not working but you may have not noticed.

Nothing came up on the screen on the car or on the app. Probably the charging speed was showing lower on the screen but I generally just plug in and walk away. Any reason why the 3 phase wouldn't be working on some of the 22kw chargers?

• Advertisement

Check notification history. Most likely a tripped rcb on one phase in the charger. Which is actually a socket so once you know your cable is good and the car charges @11kW till 99% nothing else could cause it. Then the numbers match. 1.83h*7kW=12.8kWh

Cahiserveen 1 hr 46 = 12.816

Killorglan 1 hr 7 = 12.529

That's from the app.

Could be different voltages. My S was limited to 11kW (ie limited to 16a 3 phase) but in some locations where the grid voltage was higher I'd get 12kW.

Not sure that would account for 12.8kW though, as that's nearly 13kW and the voltage would have to be over the grid maximum to account for that at 16a.

You got it wrong ELM327 the nearly 13kWh was done in nearly 2 h which is a 7kW rate. Check the notification history in the car. I bet you got a phase not working.

AHHHH now I see.

I thought he was talking about charge speed, as he used kW units. Changing it to kWh units yes that makes sense.

July Update

CCS/CHAdeMO split

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:

CHAdeMO has been occupied 33.8% of the time. (13.31 weeks of use)

CCS the other 66.2% of the time (26.05 weeks of use)

Unit counts

3 Ultra fast chargers

140 Fast charge units installed (Up 5)

522 Slow charge AC units installed (down 5 - all are AC-DC replacements)

277 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.

118 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 13 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit

The Square, Barrack Street, Ballymore Eustace, Kildare

Dundrum Shopping Centre, Wyckham Way, Dundrum, Dublin 14 (A wallbox Evolve Smart T unit)

NW Transport Hub, Waterside Link, Derry, BT47 6AH (added but since removed from the app)

Public Car Park, Mill Street, Balbriggan, Dublin

St. Joseph's Road, Stoneybatter, Dublin 7

Novara Road, Bray, Wicklow

John's Green Car park, Off Barrack Street, Kilkenny City, Kilkenny

Barrack Street, Castlerea, Roscommon

AC units upgraded to DC - 34 of the 50 delivered Bit of a vague number, this is 34 of those units installed, but they're being installed at the "hubs" too.

Public Car Park, Off Link Road (R420), Portarlington, Laois

Shore Road, Killybegs, Donegal

Public Car Park, Barrack Street, Loughrea, Galway

Saint Michael's Square, Ballinasloe, Galway

Public Car Park, N67-Milltown Malbay Road, Lahinch, Clare

New FCP

Seems like 2 of the units at Mayfield were replaced, or reinitialised.

Post edited by Black_Knight on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I thought he was talking about charge speed, as he used kW units. Changing it to kWh units yes that makes sense.

This is why units are important... kW and kWh are different things and will cause confusion if people dont get them right... its going to be hard to get the masses to adapt to it though, which is exactly why the likes of VW are trying to dumb down the experience by not showing kW's when charging.

Personally I'd prefer if they left it dumb for those that dont know/care and give the rest of us the flexibility to see what we want.

Post edited by KCross on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

UK

Slow: <7 kW

Fast: 7-22 kW

Rapid: 22-99 kW

Ultra-rapid: >100 kW

Ireland

Kramer-yoke ® speed: 0.5 kW 🙃

Slow: <22 kW

Fast: 43-50 kW

Ultra-fast: >150 kW

"High power" is BS as it doesn't imply any speed.... 50 kW generator is high power in my book, capable of running a large home or medium business. Even ecars refer to them as ultrafast in the API.

140 CCS connectors 😒 They're only replacing AC to AC or sometimes Ac/DC and adding nothing new....

I'm going to write to Mr Ryan. This won't work.

UK went from 320 CCS to 3700 CCS connectors in the last 5 years. Adjusted for population in Ireland that would be from 25 to 290 CCS. That's 60% growth per annum. We don't see any significant growth, maybe <10% and we're on less than half the connectors here.

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that several small-medium EU countries (not counting the leaders NO and NL or larger countries) grew 100%+ pa.

We should see exponential growth but instead we see "replacement" sold as something cool...

• Advertisement

Was in Sligo over the weekend.

The only DC in town was offline. Reported twice, made no difference. Wouldn't be surprised if it was still down.

The closest DC is in Grange which is 15 km away in the middle of... Nowhere. Also the power isn't giving steady 50 kW (or whatever max), the number was fluctuating on the LED at the bottom.

The closest other DC units are 50 to 60 km away in Mayo, Roscommon and Leitrim.

Thankfully Lidl Sligo has 2x11 kW AC, but one doesn't always have 2 hours to spare to get a decent charge.

And the AC ecars units are in stupid locations as well apart from the train station.

Advertisement