Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The grid connection is expensive too. Could be €20,000 per annum between 600 kVA and 1,200 kVA. Site without load balancing is both a bad investment and poor offering for the customer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's a range of approaches on load balancing.

There's the single DC module no splitting e.g. eCars triple head

The dual module DC splitting eg. eCars HPC (150kW), and eCars HPC Hub (each point is attached to two 175kW units)

The n module DC splitting across two charge connectors e.g. Tesla Supercharger V1/V2

Then finally the Kempower approach where n dc modules are connected to x charging connectors and can dynamically allocate in blocks of 25kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Money for old rope. Fair play to them :-)

One space for each triple header.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I believe the request from TFL was for 8 bays. The 8 triple head gives options.

• Advertisement

Better than 4 units and 8 bays I guess. Would still love something like that on my usual routes to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

"Lahinch now has a fast charger. 50kW DC with a load balanced 22kW AC socket."

Is this a replacement for the existing AC unit?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Correct.

Texaco (Mace & Supermacs), N4, Ballinalack has been removed also. Wouldn't count on that meaning anything though. That site has been pretty abandoned this last year almost.

Anyone else notice Mayfield is now slower:

No 350kW and 200kW. 150kW only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Are they actually 150? The last time I was there they were only giving a max of 60.

• Advertisement

What you get depends on your car for the most part. What can your car max out at? What battery % (SOC) were you at? How warm was your battery (were you driving a lot before you plugged in)? I've plugged in my car at 20-30% SOC when cold and got 68kW, but when warm I got 125kW (my cars max).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maybe they’ve ‘solved’ the issue where it was difficult to charge 2 cars at once on a single unit by simply limiting them to 150kW per side?

looks like the other plugs are ‘available’ despite the other side being in use!!

…except the CHAdeMO/CCS unit..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Right now C7ZDW has the black connector unavailable. I hope is more than a label fix to lower people's expectations. Maybe there were annoyed by calls from customers wondering why they don't get near the 350kW quoted.

So if testing is nearing completion on this site. Surely the next site is going to begin construction very soon?? Or maybe we need to wait until the next IEVOA meeting for eCars to tell us??

1 hub per year. That’s what we’ll get….

There was a meeting last weekend. Missed it though, and no sign of the video recording yet.

Testing is complete. 1pm Friday it's payment time. Joke if they're finished testing, they've reduced the speeds, and not fixed 1 major issue clearly identified during testing.

Actually not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I emailed them last week asking why a car on CCS can't charge on a 50kw when a Chademo is using it. I also asked why are there no rapid chargers in the county of Dublin.

The reply was basically along the lines of "the charger doesn't allow this".

The rapid charger question was ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

But that is a known thing. Those triple chargers are basically a single power supply with two different plugs. look up Efacec QC45. I think there are two generations, first launched around 2016 and the second one around 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What I can't get over is the down time of brand new equipment.

ECars finally pulled their finger out about 3 months ago and replaced some 11kw chargers in the North, including 3 in Derry. One of those replacements is now down for the last month.

What long of hunk of crap are these chargers if that can happen?

The downtime on so many machines is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In a 50kW CCS theres only one DC charger albeit with 2 plugs. This is why it will never charge a chademo and CCS at the same time. Unless of course, they retrofit another DC charger onboard to replace the AC

am I right in thinking the newer 50kW DC units with CCS & CHAdeMO plug, but with only an AC socket can charge both CCS & CHAdeMO (and AC) all at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

No, some very high power ones can, but no, most cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No you are incorrect. Only the "HPC" labelled (ie >= 150kWbranded) can do both

I can hazard a guess that a fair chunk of the €10m they have will be spent on those new 50kW units replacing the new 22kW AC units they are currently installing/upgrading everywhere... the net result being no new additional local charging capacity. And the best thing is because they are AC/DC units, a car left charging on AC for 6 hours, parked in the right/wrong space, could render the CCS plug inaccessible for a lot of cars!!

Then they'll be looking at their stats, and the 1 guy in eCars who drives an EV (and its a Leaf), will be like: "See, I told you there's no demand for CCS!!! CHAdeMO all the way!!"

I think last year they said of the €10m they had only used €1m. That was a year ago though.

From what I've seen, all the new 50kW units are replacing old old AC units, not the new evolve smart T units.

I reckon Mayfield alone is up to the €1m mark, or close to it.

those units.. gotta be what, around €150k each? then all the ground/connection works...

https://youtu.be/yg1RohedelY

2022 will be a big year for ecars... No specifics at all. I wouldn't hold my breath. Ecars have regularly been underwhelming in their delivery. "Big year" for them tends to be "bare minimum" for the end user.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Car charging in Ireland remains home based, you just can’t depend on the public network, I’m away for the weekend AirBnB and granny charging through a back window

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Irish Electric Vehicles Owners meeting, recording of live meeting a few weeks ago. I know mom embedded link was posted a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Does anyone know if ESB high speed chargers (Mayfield etc) or others like Ionity use 400v or 800v?

• Advertisement

Experienced an eCars 'hub' in all it's glory yesterday!!

Kilcullen, one of the 3 spots was ICE'd by an e-tron, not plugged in, just sat there... meanwhile a queue was forming, including some Leaf's who were goosed as the 2 available spots were charging on CCS.. So a site where 4 cars can charge at once, and only 2 cars charging because A. there's only 3 spaces and B. one of those 3 spaces was ICE'd by a 212 e-tron (so I'm assuming someone new to EV's). Some cars arrived, looked and promptly left again...

I'm not watching that video as I couldn't be arsed, and the last time I watched it the eCars guy annoyed me (basically read from a ppt. that he was just handed), but Seriously, when in the actual fcuk are they going to start installing anything close to resembling a functioning intercity network of chargers.? A site like Kilcullen, located halfway between Waterford & Dublin, and any other similar location to it (Cashel, Gorey, Kinnegad, Athlone, Galway Plaza, Clonshaugh M1/M50, Castlebellingham), needs to have at least 4 DC units per site. I'd settle for 2 of those 150kW units (4x CCS), and then another 2 of those new 50kW units they've been installing (CCS/CHAdeMO but no AC)), and then further down in spaces 7/8, a Twin AC22..

It seems clear that the new units in Mayfield are a pile of sh1te, (and a quick check below now confirms this....) so just ditch them and install a sh1t ton of the 150kW units, 2 plugs on each of them, but enough of them that load sharing sessions should be few and far between.

So thats it ^^^^^^^^ Thats our 1 and only fcuking mega hub....

It's a bloody disgrace.

Advertisement