Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Honestly I'm impressed Mayfield hasn't burnt down yet given ESB are in charge 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thankfully Ionity planned Mayfield, so it should be fine!!

now when eCars have to develop a new site on their own…. That’s when the fireworks will start!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There are pictures on Facebook of the new unit at Mayfield, its on of the 150kW Delta units but this time with a more sensible deployment with 2xCCS and 2xCHAdeMO, hopefully they roll these out for any future 150kW units

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice. I guess when one plug on 1 side is in use, the plug on the same side is out of order. Thus 2 of any car can charge at the same time. Nice setup. Guess it's 220kW limited, but not sure how amperage works. They're 1000v units anyways, with a 500a max but not sure at what voltage.

22kW AC charging too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I bet everyone will try and use the Delta unit first as it proved to be more reliable.

Any photos’s of it?

I thought someone would have uploaded one to PlugShare

On Facebook. I missed the IEVOA meet busy @work. I hope people had a good meeting.

Jaysis, someone in ESB had a good thought, they'll probably get fired soon enough 😂

I wonder can it charge 4 cars at once, 2 on AC and 2 on DC. Assuming you could get the cables to stretch.

I vaguely remember those Delta units can have up to 8 plugs or something, 2 on each side, although that might be just the higher power units

If it can charge 4 cars then it's more powerful than most ESB hubs by itself

• Advertisement

I might have gotten ahead of myself there. The unit might be capable of it, but judging by the app it's DC only.

Sign says AC as well……

of course that’ll be the old sign just to confuse everyone…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Was there today, good turnout of IEVOA folks and then it was a pretty much constant turnover of EVs turning up to charge. There's no AC there now. The sign just hasn't been updated. I think a few have mentioned it to ecars and I certainly did when I called them about another charger earlier.

I didn't hear of any charging issues there today.

Something is wrong with the ecars app. I use the filters to show me CCS chargers. Blue means the charger is in use green free. It worked like that for years.

Recently I noticed the app gets mixed up. Both ways. Here shows Stillorgan charger in use and Templeville free.

However, if you drill down to the charger Stillorgan is free

and Templeville in use

It is not isolated to these chargers. I've seen the same on the Bray one, Naas, Park Pointe.

That's a good setup, better than the other chargers I'd say. Hopefully ESB use that in future

Those units can charge 4 cars at once, although I think it might be 2 AC and 2 DC, the product brochure is a little hazy on the details

If there were spaces behind and they could set the charger back a little, then you'd be able to use all 4 plugs, assuming it could run 4 DC outputs in parallel

It’s just great to see the 2+2 configuration with the DC plugs…… but at a site where there’s another 5 CCS plugs…….

need to see this sort of setup at a lot of other sites with the 150kW units…… then let the stats tell them which is busier, CCS or CHAdeMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is something that beats me. A charger like that should be easily capable of 4 cars at once, so why the feck did they keep it so far forward. You'd wonder if they have anyone in their design team.

So, did we manage to get 8 cars charging simultaneously yesterday at Mayfield during the EV meet-up?

I count 6. 5 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. During which time, a CCS and CHAdeMO were marked as unavailable which would make sense given the new unit. Need to check my code, but I think for multi unit sites a check each unit and each plug on that unit.

I've no stats to indicate other plugs were faulting/unavailable while these 6 cars were charging.

I did however see plenty of times when CCS and CHAdeMO plugs went unavailable. Which is either the same old bug, or usage of the other DC plug on the new unit. Or what it looks like is a mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, the app is having issues - not showing some locations - but the website is working correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Not sure if this is the best thread for this - if not, perhaps a mod could move it to the appropriate thread? ESB have announced they're to double the number of rapid chargers in NI.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-59317842

Electric cars: ESB to use £3.37m funding 'to double chargers'

The company that operates the public electric vehicle charging network for Northern Ireland has been awarded £3.27m to upgrade it.

ESB said it will double the current number of rapid chargers.

Last week it was revealed Northern Ireland was the only part of the UK yet to apply for funding for electric car charge points in residential areas.

The £20m On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme focuses on those who live in terraced streets or in flats.

The £3.27m awarded to ESB has come from the government's Levelling Up Fund, which supports infrastructure projects.

ESB said it will "expand and enhance the EV charging network" adding it will see the introduction of high power (200kW) charging for the first time in Northern Ireland through the delivery of five high power charging hubs in strategic locations.

These can charge multiple vehicles simultaneously and can provide an electric vehicle with 100km of range in just six minutes.

It added that the investment, together with ESB's own capital investment, will replace all existing fast (22kW) and rapid (50kW) EV chargers across Northern Ireland.

Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said it was "very welcome news" which would provide "confidence to existing and new drivers of electric vehicles here through the enhancement of our charging infrastructure".

"A modern and efficient EV charging infrastructure is essential at this time as we address the climate emergency and make the transition to cleaner and greener modes of transport," she added.

ESB's Marguerite Sayers said the funding was the most significant investment of its kind in Northern Ireland since the first EV chargers were installed more than 10 years ago.

"This investment will completely revamp the EV charging network in Northern Ireland, modernising it, making it faster and more reliable to support the growing numbers of EVs on our roads," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mallon is an absolute spoofer. I suspect any improvement will come despite her rather than because of her.

Also probably no surprise that this announcement comes hot on the heals of the EasyGo expansion announcement from a few weeks back.

5 High power charging hubs in Northern Ireland!!

They've only delivered 1 high power charging hub in the South!! (and it's in almost 6 months at this stage, and no indication of when/where the next one is coming).

So to our Northern friends, I wouldn't hold your breath.

A small part of me dies when I read a 22kw charger described as "fast".

Try selling the idea of an electric car to a new customer.

"You know you can use a fast charger to charge your car?"

"Great, how long does that take"?

"About 3 or 4 hours"

"No thanks"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That's because "rapid" is the UK lingo for 50 kW. Here in South "fast" is 50 kW.

By ecars standards 2 units at a site is a hub. 8 or 10 or so hubs in the south by that reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That use of fast for 22kW and "rapid" for 50kW really grates on my ear.

Try 9-10 hours. Some are not so lucky to have 3phase charging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Slow, destination, fast, high power, supercharger. All nonsense, just quote the speed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I don't!! I just meant the ESB referring to 22kw chargers as fast. Good luck encouraging ICE drivers to change to EV's by using that term for those chargers.

Advertisement