Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Personally I'd very rarely use AC chargers at shopping centres, they just aren't a location that I like to spend more than an hour at. However, having been in the situation of living in Blanch without a home charger. I would much rather spend 30 minutes having a coffee at Starbucks, popping into boots, than sitting at a Maxol garage on the N3. Not all DC hubs are intended for multi city travel, suburban deployments like Blanch are exactly where the market needs to move towards. My biggest issue with the charger in Blanch was the crossing of AC22 point with the triple head, the new units will help a bit with this.

I've seen a few people use the argument that Blanch was a terrible location because it was always in use, surely this is a sign that their is a clear local demand, and that increasing the capacity is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

It's funny I was thinking the same myself. Never got a response from eCars/Galway CoCo/any local politician about it.

It's about 25km closer to Galway city than the Galway Plaza so wouldn't make much difference even if it was a new 150kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This location needs a taxi-only high-speed hub. It's going to become a mess because of the limited charging options.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Big demand = more units needed, but in terms of hubs or chargers for those going through the M50 it's terrible.

Been a while since I've lived in Dublin, but blanch was a disaster getting in and out of. Certainly not where I'd want a splash and dash charge on my route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Whilst I agree with you that it's not a great location for those going through the M50. It's a great location for serving a town with a population of over 70,000 people. The population of Blanch is roughly the same as Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is what we need, rake of SuC, high power, rapids and AC next to each other just off main road (park and ride in Perth, Scotland)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes, I was at the centre the other day and thought this myself. The NTA should install 8 taxi DC chargers where the taxi rank is.

Yes, but not where esbs priority should be right now. Blanch needs it, but loads of places need more units, and loads of places need sites to begin with (with multiple units in site). It all just needs better prioritisation and a faster roll out. Some units are pretty much in use all the light hours of the day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sites I could think of off the top of my head that would/should need a 150kW DC unit ahead of Blanchardstown Shopping Centre;

Castlebellingham Northbound M1

Castlebellingham Southbound M1

Obama Plaza Moneygall M7

Clonshaugh M1/M50

Dublin Airport

Kilcullen M9

Mulhudart Sercives M/N3

and I’m source loads more suitable locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Referring to this as a hub is an issue greater than the site infrastructure itself. And not having real hubs elsewhere.

2x 75kW (Delta unit) and 1x 50kW chargers ain't bad for an area the size of Blanch and there are plenty of apartments and managed estates with communal parking.

• Advertisement

Any individuals priority seems to be based on what's useful to them. The list provided by Andy would all be extremely inappropriate charging locations for me. The amount of EVs you see around D15 is very high, the usage at Blanch is probably driven by district charging rather than any blow-ins just trying to pass through. Personally I think it's high time we work on enabling people without private parking to switch to EVs. It will do more to improve the quality of air in Dublin than any motorway service station.

The list provided by Andy are all locations that should have proper mid journey charging hubs (such as Mayfield) these are delivered under a different tranche of work than the upgrades and additions to existing sites. However these sites require proper substation and grid connection work. It's apparent that adding a 150kW unit alongside a 50kW is much easier on the local grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

50kW chargers are not intended for serving the town they're located in though. That's what home charging and destination charging is for.

50kW chargers and above are supposed to to enable those on long trips to continue on their way.

That's an attitude for pre 2016 EV usage. Things have moved on, destination charging is not the only answer for people without private charging access.

I'm pretty sure 50kW+ chargers are only intended to charge cars and don't have an opinion on why you are doing so.

Post edited by liamog on

Neither "tranche of work" is delivering at anything near the pace required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I agree with this.....

Destination charging is very important but a proper sustainable network will be all EV users as they need it.

There is a need to ensure that nobody stays on a rapid for excessively long periods of time.

But that's different to deciding that you should only use a rapid if not a local to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder what capacity ESB assumed when they designed the upgrade plan. I mean, the plan was ruled out in 2019 wasn't it? And EV growth has been beating expectations since then, I think I remember the number of EVs has more than doubled since then

So whether or not the plan is on track, it's most likely already out of date

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The charging situation both here and in the North (in fairness the North is at desperately sad state after an ok user experience back in 2015) has reached the breaking point due to the glacial progress of the networks. The commonality is ecars/ESB. It's time for revolution and to oust the complacent emperor! The network just plain sucks now and the demand at the chargers is at ridiculous levels on busy sites. Good luck trying to travel anywhere with lower range cars.

Let's hope the Supercharger network will grow quickly from now on to take over the charging market here. Their sites also need expansion to allow for 3rd party charging but it's the best bet for a functional network in Ireland. I suspect that the ESBn is one of the bottlenecks for that also but here's hoping for a continuing quick expansion by Tesla.

I suspect that eCars are secretly hoping that Tesla open the network here, expand it substantially, and basically do eCars job for them so they can continue patting themselves on the back, and turning up for photo opportunities, and planning the Christmas parties..... all while installing AC chargers in Tesco carparks.

How very dare you speak ill of eCars.

That's the kind of slander that will get you barred from certain Facebook groups for being too negative lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The network is working fine, best regards, anna.

[interesting point to note, I agree with you, but am banned from your group not the other one!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Just arrived at the Square to find that 2 cars cannot fast charge at the same time. Seems ridiculously stupid

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Carnmore Cross/Galway airport charger getting an upgrade of some sort apparently, maybe adding a 150kw unit?

The charging situation both here and in the North (in fairness the North is at desperately sad state after an ok user experience back in 2015) has reached the breaking point due to the glacial progress of the networks. The commonality is ecars/ESB. It's time for revolution and to oust the complacent emperor! The network just plain sucks now and the demand at the chargers is at ridiculous levels on busy sites. Good luck trying to travel anywhere with lower range cars.

The UK is a great example of the impact local authorities make on the rollout of infrastructure. Places like Milton Keynes and Coventry have decent rapid charger provision because they have worked to make it happen, wasn't their news recently that none of the NI councils had even bothered applying to OZEV for funding?

Example of how the council in Milton Keynes "encourage" charging infra https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/consultations/586

We just have to many libertarians who want small government but are then surprised when industry will only do the bare minimum instead of acting for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The network is working fine, best regards, anna

It's not eCars job to provide national infrastructure, that's these guys https://www.oireachtas.ie/ and I'm sure your correct that the government just hopes the market will figure this out itself.

Out of interest what was Tesco's feedback when you complained to them about them paying a charging operator to install underpowered chargers?

I can't speak for all Tesco stores, as I only asked at my local store (and didn't take it further), but the manager said he had no say whatsoever. It came straight down from head office. He also felt a slow charger was useless there, and a fast charger would be better, or one of each!! He claimed he fed that back to HQ, but it fell on deaf ears.

Yeah, the Tesco AC points are a a great example of corporate greenwashing. I'm sure they would of gone for 3 pin plugs if they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They have a large enough area fenced off next to the existing charger so something is going on.

Maybe it is going to be some kind of hub. There is a good deal of space around where the charger is.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the Irish groups, it's the Northern Irish one that has gone heavy on the censorship and that's what spawned the second NI group. Too much criticism of eCars and you're censored. Complain about someone spending 5 hours on a rapid, censored again.

PS it's not "my group" and I didn't ban you, and your ban was not for reasons of censorship either. Nuff said.

Advertisement