Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I doubt that data is available without access to e cars data api which they wont be giving.

I'd theorize 40kW average for CCS excluding HPC and 26kW average for Chademo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

CHAdeMO has been occupied 28.8% of the time. (13.51 weeks of use) (down 0.3%)

CCS the other 61.2% of the time (33.37 weeks of use)

Is that meant to be a 30:70 split or a 30:60:10 with final percentage being "other"

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Certainly don't have charge speed or anything like that.

Best I can do on charge time is a best guess of when charging started and when it ended (only as accurate as the resolution I have - 5 minutes).

Correct. Data aint available. Only what you see from the ECars map/app is what data I have access to. CHAdeMO is a bit easier to theorise on the HPC, but given the CCS ones are up to 350kW and CCS charging speeds per car are so broad it's hard to put anything accurate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So the % split us skewed due to slower charging speeds.

i guess looking at KWh delivered via CSS and CHADEMO might tell a better story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, it would in fact show less usage of chademo then, if you look at it in kWh delivered, as opposed to time occupied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I'd like to see something similar from ecars. And real numbers not imaginary like 230 50kW chargers. This is taken from fastned financial reports. Why a private company publishes such data and a public one not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Almost none of them are hubs in my book.

Galway Airport - the layout is so badly done that if a single vehicle (hybrid or utility vehicle) charging on the Efacec 22 kW AC blocks the 50 kW Efacec bay leaving only the 150 kW CCS and Chademo free. And then....if a Leaf parks in bay 2 of the 150 kW and you happen to drive a right rear CCS port car... Wait... The hub turns into a 1 usable connector site and you can't charge until the AC leaves (unlikely) or have to wait for the Leaf to go. Equals the earlier situation with single Efacecs per site.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Almost none of them are hubs in my book.

eCars are the one who came up with their hub definition and apply it to their own sites so I don't think you'll get them to change.

I much prefer the one connector per space layout that Ionity use. That avoids all of the geometry problems that come with the current eCars layouts. The AC22 socket on the replacement 50kW rapids is the worst mistake I've seen a charging company make in a very long time.

Absolutely.

The bottom line is as follows...

ESB/Ecars:

• Don't make decisions based on data
    • Don't have a plan or do any planning
    • And most critically don't care

The data on EV car sales in terms of Chademo/CCS is publicly available, they can get it from Car Registration / Motor tax office. We, the public, can get the data easily and make a common sense educated decision that the CCS:Chademo connector ratio should be 2-3:1 and will have to be increased gradually moving forward and we're NOT paid for concluding this. The trend is obvious in the data and CCS is the EU ISO STANDARD as well. Again, the educated public knows this fact, so the government/semi-state agency must know that. What's worse, how the hell the Director of this program who is PAID for this work (from taxpayer's aka our money) fails to get essential data and fails to make basic research around this???

In terms of power supply being capped on many sites - simple solution is to use multiple chargers that can load balance until power supply is sorted. Of course, it didn't occur to Ecars to tender load balancing chargers only until the 150 kW came about and with those they set them up incorrectly to add an insult to the injury. The HPC units can be got and/or configured for up to 4 CCS/Chademo in any ratio and load balanced. Why they put only 2 connectors on them - mind boggles. Again, no data, no planning, no attention to detail, no interest.

Thirdly, parking layout, a quick overview of most common EVs in Ireland reveals the complicated situation with charging port location on various car makes. This should drive charger placement and parking layout and cable length - side access and/or long cables win. Again, all the fundamental information is publicly available to us, the public, but Ecars Program/Project managers who are PAID for this fail to register this and take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

You all are assuming some one in Ecars actually gives a F....

I believe it went like this, John your brief is to set up a charging network, John is thinking " why don't these people drive a diesel" "ah sure I will just stick them anywhere"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It seems the entire network continues to be laid out to suit a Nissan Leaf...

And it kind of makes sense when I think about it... The IEVOA Chair always gets miffed at me on Facebook/Twitter when I raise the whole CCS v CHAdeMO argument, but then you see the majority of the cars he sells are Leaf's so it kind of makes sense as to why he so staunchly defends the 50/50 split between CCS & CHAdeMO.

And the lobby group that should be ripping them apart for their pi$$ poor network, simply fawns at them anytime they get to grace the same bandwidth as eCars.

Mr Acton? Right, I see - so he's vested interests. Poor form. But it all makes sense now, I wasn't aware of it.

It's obvious Chademo is on the descent short term (and potentially going from the Single Market altogether medium term) to anyone who makes a basic research of the topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes because power drops substantially after the first few minutes, realistically a car that can do 100kW charging is doing half that after 50% battery capacity is reached

Of course Chademo is on the decent but the leaf is still being sold this year with the charge point it's going to still be around in 10 years. New technologies in that time will make dual stations (the units with a CCS and Chademo on either side) cheaper and easier so operators won't care either

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭vinniem

You didn't mistakenly sign up for membership, it's deliberate by them.. Same happened to me so had to ring ecars and get changed to PAYG account

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, I meant that the ID4 comes with a 52KWh, ID3 58Kwh ( I believe 48Kwh will be here soon) , enyaq has a sub 62kwh battery

Oh right sorry I was mistakenly using power instead of units

That's a questionable business practice but in fairness I emailed them and they had it sorted by the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Office of low emission vehicles will be a sub department of seai who give out home charger grants and new EV rebates.

ESB Ecars are waiting for more free money, and my concern is a new tender won't happen from the new quango until they do more reports and consultations. In the UK the same esb ecars team rolled out esb branded chargers when they won a tender. What will really create change is large tenders to pay for 10x DC chargers mostly at hubs. Easygo have said hubs at motorway don't make financial sense for them if they 100% fund them.

County councils do not have the budget nor interest in hubs, they have rolled out token tests of public AC chargers, but then stopped. I firmly believe SEAI should reserve say 5000 euro from the sale of every EV to quickly roll out hubs. However seai generally seem slow to act, demonstrated by apartment chargers where they launch a plan after years of talk, and the actual plan is impractical and expects apartments to partly pay which simply won't result in retrofits on any sort of scale.

I might make contact with EV owners with government contacts in the right area. Ideally in the budget for December 2022 large funds for DC chargers would happen along with a start of rollout for AC chargers where people public park at night. Even actual targets that could possibly be implemented would be a start. Even comparing ROI with mainland UK and planning similar targets would be a start. Personally I won't sell my non EV ICE until I own a car with a range to only need to public charge 2 or 3 times a year. It's too stressful to go on long trips with the family and hope that 1+ hour delays don't happen when attempting to public charge.

If we assume esb ecars even with the funding will implement badly, then we should try make the tenders suitable for easygo or another UK or Irish company that could rollout and support chargers. There must be other companies supporting Tesla superchargers or taxi only chargers or Ionity chargers. Half a dozen real hubs on key mid city sites would make a massive difference, particularly as many of those heading city to city have big batteries, home chargers and only need one stop.

• Advertisement

There's 1 DC charger in Waterford now, and right now there's a car at it plugged into AC, so depending on what space it's in, your either getting a fast charge in Waterford, or you're not!

Look how awkward this site is laid out, so someone camped on AC for 3-4 hours could render the DC plugs useless!! (photo from PlugShare)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Tesla put the charge port on the right side it'd be grand 🤔

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You'll have it easy on the Superchargers so 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭vinniem

Yes questionable indeed! It's like it defaults to membership when signing up.. But as you said they change it straight away when informed

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

just as a litlle comparison about real time charging and costs. i was out gallivanting during the week and did 2 charges on the road.

first at an esb "150kw" fast charger at portlaoise.

Got 38.48 kw in 48 mins at a cost of €11.74

so 48kw avg charging speed.

Second was at ionity in Gorey advertised at "350kw", LOL.

did 20.21 kw in 17 mins €14.76

avg charging speed 71kw

not much in the charging speed, but ionity are hugely more expensive. Won;t be using them again unless I absolutely have to.

This is in an ID4, both charging from around 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

• Advertisement

You need to arrive at less than 15% to get high charge speeds on the ID4.

Your car can't take 350KW but the units are technically able to offer up to 350KW so not sure how LOL applies? The Ionity unit was about 50% faster than the eCars one for your charges.

Same was as you broadband could be up to 1GB but the max speed your phone can use is 250MB.

Advertisement