Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Maybe Tesla should buy ESBn?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla aren't interested in sub 150kW chargers, which the vast majority of eCars chargers are.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not sure Tesla are interested in becoming a national electrical utility company. ESBN is a different part of ESB Group than eCars so it wouldn't make much difference anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Happened to stop at the new Tesco on stocking lane in Rathfarnham this morning.

Brand new store and incredibly eco focused inside. To further push their green credentials they have a 22kw AC charger (ESB) in the car park.

They also have the car park covered in signs saying that the maximum waiting time in the car park is 1 hour and it is patrolled. So that's a 22kw charger that you can use....for 1 hour.

Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

In one hour, I can charge up around 50-60km of range. That's much further than I will drive to and from the shop. Worth my while for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Is it though? And I'll ask the question in business terms. Would you choose this particular shop over one with a DC charger? Would you choose this shop over one with no charger? Mind it is not a free charger but a 23-26c/kWh. Because if the answer is no to either question the charger is just green-washing with no added benefit. In my case I have a choice of 2 Lidl's one with an AC and one with DC charger, 2 minutes more driving. Guess which one I choose. 11kWh (free) vs 45kWh (paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That was my point (in a roundabout way!!).

It's also a small store, so not really somewhere you would be doing a full week's grocery shop. Realistically you'd be there about 20 minutes on average so an AC charger is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So you can replace what you used while driving to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Most likely it was supplied as part of a requirement to achieve some type of green/sustainability rating for the entire development.

Having an EV charging facility without specifying a particular level of performance may have been enough to 'tick a box' for that element of the design.

Entirely possible that if there was no such requirement, then it may not have been installed at all, in which case then, as @innrain suggests, its simply greenwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Where the charger is available, I do plug in. And I will somewhat favour a shop that has a charger, while still occasionally using chargerless ones that have some unique proposition that I want. That I have to pay for the charger is fine - I need to pay for the energy anyway, and the 23c I'm paying to ESB is fine given the benefit of keeping me topped up.

It's relevant to point out that I do not have the option of home charging, so grabbing bits and pieces where I can is part of my deal. If the majority of places I parked briefly had this kind of provision, it would probably cover all of my charging needs other than proper long distance journeys.

• Advertisement

I took this photo in Mayfield on June 8th last year. The units were turned on the following day, and were in test phase for a few weeks/months before charging for them came in.

so almost 9 months since the first car charged there!

Who here genuinely believes there’ll be another ‘Tier 1’ hub installed by Mayfield’s 1st birthday! Or even just started…

GET

THE

FCUKiNG

FINGER

OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does Mayfield even work properly yet? Or does it still kill the charging session on other cars if you plug in?

And no, I don't think we'll see another big hub this side of summer, best one on the cards is N17 plaza with an eye watering 2x200kW Delta chargers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Someone tell Kerry and Galway they aren't in the West of Ireland!

Yeah okay, I did walk into that one I guess 😁

Still, I think I'm right in saying that the commercial charging providers are only going to focus on locations that will definitely make money, whereas local authorities have an incentive to ensure there's charging in more remote and less viable locations. They should really be working with Ecars on this

Instead we got a lamppost charger in Swords. Fingal CC must have exhausted their brain cells on that one 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

There's still no word on when the N17 plaza will open, nevermind when ESB will switch on the chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Mayfield had 6/8 spots in use and working last time I was there so there has been an improvement. Would have been 7/8 in use only one left as another arrived.

Just need about 20 more Mayfield size hubs immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Mayfield planning application was lodged initially by Ionity. It will be interesting to find out why ecars took over.

I did not see, any other application from ecars. It is true I did not search in all counties though so if anyone finds something feel free to share. My feeling is that they work under the confines of planning exemption and so for the foreseeable future we may get just one charger added beside the existing ones. Unless they take over the hub proposed by Circle K at Clonshaugh as they did with Mayfield.

l.e the link appears broken after boards format https://www.eplanning.ie/KildareCC/AppFileRefDetails/181055/0

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The planning exemption now allows up to 4 charging points to be installed in a single location without planning permission. I think they still need planning for the substations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the e-car connect app dead or been replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes much have just gone down for a brief moment.

Seen this other ESB one in App Store, how is it different?

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/ev-plug-in/id1317587044

I think that's for Ecars UK judging by the screenshots

An improvement on the standard 2 unit hub it seems…

A HPC with 2 & 2 CCS/CHAdeMO, and then a standard 50kW unit beside it. (Why isn't the 50kW unit centred in space 3 though?? Someone could park in the middle space, use the 50kW unit and block 1 side of the 150kW unit)

now at least 3 CCS cars can charge simultaneously here, so it’s the next best CCS site after Mayfield.

It's not fully on line yet, but looks like Tuam is getting a 2 unit (1x150kW, 1x200kW) setup capable of 4 CCS cars at once.

I just hope they give it 4 spaces!!!!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems like you might even be able to swing a charge from behind the 150kW unit if cables wont reach at the front. Closest thing i've seen to forecourt style charger... completely by accident. Looks like it's in a far closer space to the shop entrance, prime for ICEing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't understand why they are putting 1:1 ratio of Chademo and CCS on new installs.

It should be 3:1 at the very least.

In that configuration, I actually don't mind the 50/50 split, as if by chance 3 Leaf's turn up at the same time, then good luck to them, but likewise if 3 CCS cars turn up, then good luck to them too.. Likewise with Tuam.. 4 CCS or 4 CHAdeMO can charge, so as long as a space is available, you'll get a charge regardless of what your driving (except older Zoe's of course)

My issue is the single CCS plug on the other 16 or so HPC units that have 1x CCS & 1x CHAdeMO... that's just fcuking madness!! Those sites have 3 spaces but are limited to only 2 CCS cars!!!

Leaf's are only ever going to use the more expensive HPC if the 50kW unit is busy...

In this case it wouldn't make a difference, those chargers are only capable of splitting the DC into 2, so you'd end up with 4 CCS either way. There probably isn't much cost difference going form 2xCCS, 1xCHAdeMO to 2xCCS, 2xCHAdeMO.

• Advertisement

My issue is the single CCS plug on the other 16 or so HPC units that have 1x CCS & 1x CHAdeMO... that's just madness!! Those sites have 3 spaces but are limited to only 2 CCS cars!!!

100%, in my mind a 2022 DC charging site needs a minimum of 1 CCS plug for every parking spot, I understand the need for backwards compatibility for CHAdeMO and would install 2xCHAdeMO per site with the connectors on separate units. The one that really grinds me is the AC22 sockets, I've found them to be in more use than the DC cables.

Advertisement