Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure most the DC sites with 22kW AC were originally 22kW AC only, and located where AC makes more sense than DC. No wonder AC gets frequent use at them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It seems it works. Got there today with 8% SoC and limited preconditioning as the site it is not on Tesla's map. Started with 120kW and peaked at 135kW. Used the HPC with CHAdeMO as the other units were all busy. By the time I got my footlong the car was at 40% SoC. After min 22 a Leaf connected on the other side which made the power to drop to 62kW. Reached 90% at min 43 and had to move the car as the kids were not ready yet.

62.8 kWh in 43 mins gets an average charging speed 87.67kW for 8% - 90%. Not bad. Is not the fastest charging I had, is even below the Delta unit in Blanch, but it beats the last summer go I had at these units when it peaked at 60kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How many cars were charging simultaneously?

Best I’ve seen (on the app) is 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Plaza opened on 11 March.

No mention of the chargers in the article, but you can see them in the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Woohoo! They were on plugshare already, 2x200kW delta units with dual outputs, nice looking setup

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

at least 5. Didn't pay full attention but busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Chargers are showing on esb app.

They may not be fully commissioned or not available yet.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/351289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Wonder how long before we see a price increase in charging rates, given wholesale prices are skyrocketing?

Hard to see prices staying this way for long.

Lazy me again. 1st 2 weeks of March data below.

March Update

CCS/CHAdeMO split

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:

CHAdeMO has been occupied 25.8% of the time. (15.13 weeks of use)

CCS the other 74.2% of the time (43.54 weeks of use)

HPC Usage Split

CHAdeMO - 1.88 weeks of usage (19.8%)

CCS - 7.62 weeks of usage (80.2%)

There are a few more CCS HPC plugs than CHAdeMO given Mayfield has 7 CCS plugs and 3 CHAdeMO

Unit counts

0 Ultra fast chargers (ESB downgraded them to FAST)

156 Fast charge units installed

510 Slow charge AC units installed

119 CCS plug sites

128 CHAdeMO plug sites

532 Untethered plug sites

64 Tethered plug sites (AC43)

282 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.

100 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 11 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit

Irish Rail Wicklow train Station

AC units upgraded to DC - 42 of the 50 delivered Bit of a vague number, this is 42 of those units installed, but they're being installed at the "hubs" too.

None

New FCP

Circle K Service Station, Ballysimon Road, Limerick City (2 units installed to replace the existing 1)

Texaco (Spar & Supermacs), Galway road, Tuam, Galway (2 double head DC units)

Notes

None

Fast charger usage since last May. Need to plot that against number of fast chargers out there.

• Advertisement

Did ESB ever say what (if anything) they're going to do with the hotel chargers they installed way back?

I presume they've basically washed their hands of them since most of them seem to be broken now and they're down as 3rd party chargers on the website

they count them though ;) Looks good on a report

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

They flushed a lot of them off their app a while ago. A good few were replaced by hotels themselves, others like red cow hotel has not worked for years, with no sign of change. Some of them are still working and handy overnight options. Personally I think they should remove them all. Status of these is best found on plugshare app

Yeah, it'd be nice if they did some deal with the hotels to replace the broken ones with a dumb charger and then it's the hotels problem from there on out

I know I've complained about this before, but it really irks me that there's hotels out there advertising EV chargers but when you turn up the charger has been broken for months or even years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Stopped at Applegreen Enfield yesterday on the way to Dublin.

There was a Leaf driver there trying to get through to eCars on the phone. Charger wasn't working, no signal on the unit, nobody answering the phone. He didn't know about Plugshare or Easygo. Tried to help him find another charger close by but you could see he was annoyed and concerned about what he would do next.

SPOF is not good enough, especially on an older unit and also when there is space and signage for additional units.

I know eCars are a very poor with the rollout, but is it Applegreen who are preventing additional units from going in at Enfield or additional providers? I read that Applegreen intend to put in their own chargers, but there's no information about any real timetable for this.

Meanwhile the Kinnegad Plaza has 2 Easygo units (awkwardly placed), Galway Plaza has a 150kW and a 50kW and the Tuam Plaza is now open - Supermac seems to have the right idea here and is ahead of the game as usual. Hopefully the Ennis Plaza will get the go ahead soon.

Maybe there should be a thread for motorway services with chargers, or even a thread for only 150kW + chargers?

Has anyone with an EV6/Ioniq5 tried to give another EV a charge to help them on their way?

The ecars rollout is slow enough I think 1 thread is plenty 🤣

I don't know where ESB are going to pull these 50 hubs from, and I think 16 are to be like Mayfield. No doubt they're working hard on an excuse, and equally hard on fudging numbers. The old "planning takes time" excuse only works for so long before "time" has been in abundance.

Yeah the typical chorus is blame ESB networks for making the grid connection too slow and expensive. Applegreen and other service stations would love to have chargers but basically want the grid connection to be free

There's probably a fair bit of truth to the ESB networks issue, but at the same time it's kind of an easy excuse for Ecars and others to blame the network for their own failures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

ESBN are both slow and expensive then. Privatisation can be a double edged sword but can't really see any other way out from the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

eCars should do what Tesla have done, and build the hubs anyway, and then wait for ESBN to get the finger out...

a few strategically placed social media posts, and a leak here or there to a news organisation (complete with pictures) showing hubs built but just waiting to be turned on, could help put pressure on government/ESBN to get the finger out and do their job..

It wouldn't work with the Tesla sites waiting connection because only bazillionaires drive Tesla's, but when Jimmy the taxi driver, or Mary the nurse can't get to work on time because the chargers aren't turned on yet, than that might just provoke some ire from Joe public....

There was talk about the rapid in Kilkenny few weeks ago and I got the chance to test it over the weekend. I never got more than 34kW out of it and this is with battery temp at 50°. Not very usefull to come from the motorway to charge.

The second charger I tried is the AC in the County Council Parking. Got intrigued as the last checking on plugshare was 2018. The thing is that the charger is in the staff car park so if you ignore the signs saying you should not be there and if the spots are not ICEd it is a very convenient charger right in the heart of the town. Mind you the car park closes at 18:30 but much better than the 1h parking limit in John’s Green Car Park. Wouldn't a rapid make more sense there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Privatising a TAO like ESBN would be a terrible idea. We did that with TE/Eircom and it set us back years and ended up with the joke that is the National Broadband Programme. Critical infrastructure needs to remain in state ownership. The government or regulator need to step in and find out what causes these delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

As I said, potentially double edged, but any government involvement just seem to lead to half (ars...) executed projects that underperform. We badly need an overseeing body that is taking the overlooking task a bit more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's been said here time after time after time, no re-invention required, just copy Norway and Tesla SuC network.

Instead Ireland does not offer the same incentives that worked elsewhere and then pulls the existing ones in Adoption phase.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Drove from Carlow to Shannon last Thursday, then to Ennis DC, had 35% left from Carlow, DC was down, spent 30 mins on AC then on to holiday home,

Plugged in at holiday home and got to 60%.via granny lead.

Tried using Lahinch DC a few times but too busy.

Tried to use AC in Kilkee busy but got in after I came back from the beach. Spent 1 hr 30 mins while we walked around and had lunch.

Did a fair bit of driving around Clare and visited Cliffs of Moher, amazing there's no AC point there should be a couple of DC lol, wishful thinking.

On way back charged at moneygall Plaza to 60% amazed it was free, plugged in at 20% charged to 60% got home with 35%. There was a ford PHEV plugged into the AC and too bad if a Zoe owner arrived there was no sign of the driver from when I got there until I left. I had to park awkwardly because the charge port on the id.3 is on the drivers side and they were the opposite side.

All motorway driving was done at 120 Km/hr and some 130 stints. Having the 77 Kwh id.3 is really amazing, the extra range makes such a difference almost 50 Kwh more than my old BMW i3 !

Public charging network is a national Embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You almost need a wee petrol genny in the boot like you had before, Mad_Lad 😁

Didn't that happen with some of the AC chargers in Dublin? DCC asks Ecars to install them then they sat wrapped in plastic for months waiting to be commissioned

Granted that could easily have been Ecars fault, but it does show they don't really care about chargers installed and not operational

They probably counted them against the total number of chargers even before they got commissioned

Listen, we've finally weaned him off the fossil fuels, don't try triggering a relapse 😜

They were a different crowd. Installed at Sir John Rogerson's Quay and never turned on. "Smart something" . Those got replaced with the 2 DC units which are going to have spaces painted "next week". And we can't say they don't copy Tesla. Elon has his own time unit called "two week" which is the amount of time required to solve an issue. Cybretruck will be available in two weeks, FSD implemented in two weeks and so on. Ecars has the next week. Painting will happen next week, hubs will be installed next week. Still didn't find any planning permission sought by ecars for a new hub. Anybody had more luck?

• Advertisement

lol yeah Rex was great 100% independence from the charging infrastructure when wanted/needed.

I did a lot of driving in the id3 tour 5 over the weekend, 50 kwh more battery is amazing but no denying the network is crap. But real nice to have much more range from my home charge point, fast charging will be very rare but it would be nice to know you could depend on the network when you need it, currently, you just can't.

my advice to people is to get the car with the most range you can afford, others will have a different opinion.

I have 17,200 kms on the id3 nice Mid October, being able to suck so much from the work charge point, 11 kW one site granny charger on the other is really great, my leccy coats for February were 22 Euros for the car for driving from Dublin to Carlow and back 5 days a week and a good bit of weekend driving and not caring in the slightest about driving economically and some weekend driving 100% free if I leave Friday with 100% charge from the site with 11 kW charger.

I had a loaner polo 1L 3 cylinder while my id3 was getting the headlight replaced, what an experience, but worked out that at current petrol prices it would cost me around 90 euros week to run a car with frustratingly little power and poxy manual box, getting back into the id3 felt as if I was going to break he sound barrier. 😁

Advertisement