Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Hope we never see that here.

Otherwise who is going to damage our wheels when we park illegally?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

First time using Mayfield. Charge lasted 2 minutes before the unit went offline. Now too sit in the car and babysit it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mayfield is 10 months old now........ and is still hounded with bugs....

They'd probably just be as well off ripping out those 3 hyper units and putting in the 200kW 4 plug units in their place..

I chose the original hpc units. 350A cable. Dual plug unit was available so I probably should of used that. I'll be back later though. Cork, IKEA, cork trip today.

2 id4, Mac e, and Ev6 here. A unit each.

Will you bother taking on some charge at Ikea or Decathlon while up there? both EasyGo managed sites.

• Advertisement

It's a splash and dash in IKEA ( collection and pick up a few bits that can't be collected) so I'll only get maybe an hour from the IKEA 7kw unit. Annoying it's only 7kW. Either way it wouldn't be enough to get back without stopping. I could of charged for longer in Mayfield but was only getting 68kW at 34% soc with 18c battery temperature so I didn't hang around.

Is the portlaoise plaza 150kW unit giving full power these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think IKEA need to roll out 20-30 units if they are sticking with 7KW.

and drop the 2 hour limit on them....

Best anyone can get is 14.8kWh before incurring overstay charges!! Ridiculous. (for me (SR+) that's 29%).

To be fair, it was only me and a BMW phev that only plugged in but didn't start charging that parked there

You can be lucky with a free charger there but I was up recently at 7.30 on a Friday evening and they were all occupied.

• Advertisement

Mayfield again. 28% and 20c temperature. 106kW this time. Happy days. Busy again. Model 3, ioniq 5, outlander, Audi A6 (I think) phev, and another id4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Well I'm going home now, hence the charge again. Was hungry on the drive up so I stopped to grab a roll and some charge. Now I'm just charging because I can't do 520km on a motorway in 1 go. Also snacking while I wait.

Cork to IKEA would of been no bother, but cork to IKEA to Mayfield would of been tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Decathlon show as 22kw AC, IKEA as 7.4KW.

Would that make any great difference between the charge goy get from one over the other over an hour or so? (M3 for reference)

If the M3 has a 22KW onboard charger it'd be faster on the Decathlon one wouldn't it?

Ah, I thought it only had 11KW on board charger. If it is 22 that's a whole different ballgame next time I'm at IKEA.

Model 3 is 11kW max on AC, so it could take an additional 4kW if charging on a 22kW AC charger (Decathlon)

2 hours for me in Ikea and I'd get 29%

2 hours in Decathlon and I'd get 45%

Thanks @AndyBoBandy - you've been a great help as I start this EV journey

Yeah, 7kW over an hour gives me like ~35km. 11kW over an hour gives me ~50km. Neither are of great help after a 260km drive. Would need about 3.5-4 hours on 11kW to save me a trip to a fast charger if I'm doing cork-IKEA-cork.

Full charge from home + 47kWh from ecars +maybe 5kWh from easygo... And some losses.

Suggests more than 21.3... but .. losses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Decided to go to Mayfield J14 today.

Complete carnage.

Bank holiday Monday @2pm.

Only the CHAdeMO side of the high powered third unit was free initially. Full with an etron, ID.4, Ioniq5, M3, Kona’s and leafs. At least the site was fully operational and all units appeared to be working.

Most had either just started charging or were only 15minutes into their session.

Got lucky and the 4th unit became free (CCS and CHAdeMO on both sides), but had to park right up to the unit to plug in. 3 cars were queuing with nowhere to go, so the whole car park was blocked. Why on earth were the units put right on the main entrance/exit road?

Cars kept coming in, we finished up and went back to the car. An EV6 was pulling into the CHAdeMO spot, while a new leaf was going into the ccs spot. Neither had any idea of how to use the units.

2 BMW i3’s appeared. One got a spot , the second was stopped in front of me, with an Ioniq5 right behind them. I told the bmw driver I was coming out, the Ioniq5 driver put their indicator on. You can guess what happened next. I was halfway out as the Ioniq5 was in my way, the i3 reversed in, didn’t stop and went into the back right of our car. Practically pulled the bumper off their car and gave mine a shunt. My bumper seems to have saved mine , but lots of scratches and one of the parts of the bumper has been pushed in so will need to get it checked. The driver said they were told to get into spots quickly as they might get taken by someone else. To be fair they took full responsibility, but it’s going to be a pain for me to get my own car sorted.

In all my years driving I’ve never seen anything like it. Again makes Ionity more attractive as more space at their sites and less chance of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Sorry to hear this. Surprised as people on this island are pretty good at queueing. You're right about Ionity. Too bad they gave up Mayfield for Kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And musk wants to open up the SuC. Public charging is becoming a shít show. EV's are coming on stream at a rate of knots and the"etiquette" of charging is long gone. First man in and fcuk the rest.

Fair play to him. Think of all the money the company is going to make from opening it up because it'll be a hell of a lot more than the profit on the cars in a year.

And it will be an absolute balls if you want to charge. Cars that don't have the charging port on their rear left or front right? Tough, they'll take 2 spots and won't give a damn as long as they can charge.

If cannco's experience is anything to go by imagine what it will be like in the summer or next summer.

Or hear me out here, Tesla roll out a cable upgrade to all thier chargers and solve a problem before it's an issue. Or they might say that upgrade is coming soon like the Roadster.

Either way they only care about increasing profit and share value.

By pivoting from a car manufacturer (a very small player at that and will have a shrinking market share as more and more players enter the market) that installs chargers to a charging network operator (largest in the world) who also manufacture cars. It's a very shrewd move I think.

The Tesla chargers are designed with short cables for Tesla's.

Now they're having to redesign the units to solve the problems of other manufacturers.

No they may redesign because they want to open up the network to make more money.

How are you not getting this? No one is forcing Tesla to do this, they are making the decision themselves because they see the potential.

By any chance do you own a Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

Just to play devils advocate, I traveled from Dublin to West Mayo on Friday and back this afternoon. I charged at Longford Texaco both times and also at Ballinaleck today. I was the only person each time, no-one queueing after me. The Longford eFacec unit was in a stuck state today but a quick call to eCars to reset it and it was fine. I was worried that things might be hectic today but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe later in the day might have been different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't think Tesla have said for sure that they're opening up any of the Irish sites

To be fair, if they open up I don't think it'll be as bad as people say because in general there's a lot of new EV drivers out there (remember, half the EVs in the country got sold in the last 2 year I think) and they probably don't really know about other networks

From what I've heard of people's buying experience, the salespeople don't know anything about the different networks, so will only give the briefest overview. ESB tend to be the only one that gets any publicity here so that's every new drivers first port of call

So a lot of new EV drivers probably don't know about SuC chargers unless they bought a Tesla

On top of that, Tesla will charge more per kWh and the Irish mentality of not wanting to pay more for anything probably causes people to gravitate towards ESB again. You get what you pay for in my view, which is why we've a garbage national network

Finally, all the Tesla sites have like 8 chargers, and they almost always work, unlike ESB who have been known to leave units out of action for weeks

For the sake of comparison, does anyone know how busy Ionity Kill or Cashel were? It'd be interesting to see whether they were as busy as Mayfield or was everyone going for the cheap option

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement