Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Beep Beep have all the stats. What you see does not reflect actual stats.

In addition to this I believe Black Knight on Boards can pull the data on what type of connector is using the ESB network the most and it's not a 50:50 split.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wow, I thought Tesla were one of the better companies for educating new owners

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Nope. You show up in a tent with the app already installed on your phone. The car unlocks and you get in and walk away. If all goes well, you don’t interact with Tesla staff at all. In the UK, some owners volunteer on end-of-quarter delivery days, assisting new owners and basically doing what Tesla should be paying their staff to do.

They do have some intro videos on the website that are quite good but won’t get into the kind of detail needed to handle a Nissan or eCars unit.

Post edited by markpb on

Fair point, I'm guessing they would focus on the Supercharger network as well and less on 3rd party networks

I remember when I got the Leaf the salesman actually brought the car over to the Chademo unit they had and showed me how to plug in and start the charger. He said I could use it anytime which was pretty cool

With the ID.4 things were a bit more minimal but the salesman knew I was an EV nerd anyway

When my mum got her ID.3 I made sure to take her through plugging into the CCS charger that VW had and seeing how to start the charger. Bad charging experiences can really put new owners off

Of course then there's my wife who refuses to learn how to use public chargers, just relies on me to do everything 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement

🤣

Doubt it, we're on opposite sides of the country. She wouldn't have enough range in the Leaf without having to use public charging

We're just far too helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

I know I didn't get much in the way of useful instruction from my dealer, but I didn't care 'cos I'm a nurrrrd.

I refrained from suggesting dealers could do more to educate their buyers.

In my experience the sales reps have very poor technical knowledge of the models they are trying to flog, which shouldnt really come as any surprise considering the calibre of person it takes to be one. There are always exceptions, but in general I rate them only above parking inspectors.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you look at the actual numbers up to the end of June '22 total new or imported Leaf's account for just 23.3% of EVs registered in Ireland. That number is only going to go down. They aren't cutting their target market in half, more new EVs have been sold in the 6 months of this year than the total number of Leaf's registered here at all.

If the cost of going from a 2 connector DC charger to a 3 connector DC charger adds 10% to the price, why would you bother at all given the way the numbers are going. As of today it's a 4:1 ratio by the end of the year I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 5:1 ratio.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah, not done that in a while. Stopped the updates when ecars stopped installing units. Last I can recall it was around a 30:70 split on minutes in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I still have the excel sheet from when we were looking at these. Just updated with only the new regs for 2022. The imports may add 0.01%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Although not BEV, those wonderful Outlander PHEVs are CHAdeMO, probably statistically irrelevant

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Definitely 50:50 split there between Chademo and CCS 😂

I'd generally agree, their job is to sell cars first and foremost. I've come across a few salesperson who weren't even aware their company made electric cars 🙄

I think we've reached a consensus with the Chademo Vs CCS question that the answer is "more chargers" 😁

I'd personally say that urban charging hubs should have as many Chademo as CCS.

It's likely that older Leafs are going to be around for a long time and even a Leaf with a degraded battery has more than enough range for someone living in an apartment around Dublin

The exact person who would probably be dependent on public charging and so having access to good urban charging hubs* would be very important to them

(Hub in this case would be something that can charge 8 or more cars in parallel, ideally more)

For motorway services it should probably favour CCS a bit more, since that favours longer range cars which can charge faster.

I still think in that case they 50% of the available chargers should have dual plugs, so if there's 8 chargers, 4 would be CCS only and 4 would be CCS+Chademo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stop talking sense, pretend you're a buffoon, get hired by ecars on the basis of being a buffoon (which seems to be the criteria), then implement what you describe!

Joking aside, couldnt agree more with you on both urban and HPC/Motorway chargers

I feel like if I ever did apply to ECars, I'd probably lose the job based on my boards posting history 🤣

FWIW, I just checked to see if there's any ECars openings, couldn't find anything

Kinda shows how much of a priority Ecars is for ESB 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Yes, unfortunately I encountered this on Monday! My first trip out this far west and was relying on this charger. Really disappointed. I called eCars and was told this was already reported the day before and and engineer was due out!

There should be another charger in Clifden or even Maam Cross.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's going to be many thousand more CCS cars sold to those same people, urban hubs should prioritise the technology that is in use and not give a 50% split to CHAdeMO. In your case of an 8 car hub, I'd deploy 2 dual CCS, and 2 dual CCS + CHAdeMO.

By the time any body get's round to building a suburban hub I'd be surprised if CHAdeMO's market share is above 10%, for apartment dwellers in Dublin, I'd push them towards the 200km+ range cars as you are going to want to minimise the charging trips. Leaf's can live in the many driveways of suburban semi-d's.

Again I'm unsure where these numbers are coming from, but even if true why would you cut 16-23% of all EV drivers out of your customer base just to save a few quid on a cable?

Another factor you haven't considered is that most of those leafs are 24, 30 or 40kWh capacity and so would be more likely to stop for a charge than the CCS cars which, from what I can tell, come with bigger batteries and more range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The existing amount of CHAdeMO plugs should be sufficient for current & future Leaf’s.

we just don’t need to be installing anymore of it.

have Nissan intimated that they will eventually put CCS on the Leaf, or will they continue selling EV’s now with both CCS & CHAdeMO sockets on them? (Which seems a bizarre strategy).

The numbers are from Beep Beep which compiles data on all car registrations in Ireland.

Removing the Chademo connector would not be about saving money as each unit should be set up with two CCS cables but rather provide a better network for the majority of customers.

Why continue to install Chademo and CCS in a 50:50 split when that doesn't reflect the public need? The amount of Chademo units should be maintained but any additional installs should focus on CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The rumour is that the Leaf will be discontinued around 2025.

Since the Ariya has already gone to CCS its a foregone conclusion that ChaDeMo will slide heavily after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Of the eCars multi unit sites, only Mayfield has more CCS than CHAdeMO plugs….. and Mayfield 2.0 is nowhere to be seen…

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I think it was fixed on Wednesday!! 4 days to sort it but I suspect it was out of action before Sunday. Same thing happened the last time I went into the wild west (charger in Westport was broke).

Charger at mamm cross should be a no brainer with the amount of tourist traffic going through.

On the plus side it did give me the opportunity to go to the national park for 4 hrs and use their slow charger. Great facilities well worth a visit.

All Ionity hubs are CCS only... Tesla Superchargers have no Chademo either although that is less of a problem.

At the M8 service station (Cashel) last weekend I was queued behind another leaf for 5 minutes and another 2 queued behind me (not bad in fairness) before I got charging. Meanwhile 3 free Ionity - that's a lot of poential profit Ionity could have made in a short space of time

Ionity is designed to sell cars for it's owners, which doesn't include Nissan

If they put Chademo plugs on then that would give the Leaf another selling point, which doesn't suit VW, Ford, Hyundai or the other owners

Fair it ain't, but Nissan have had years to see which way the wind was blowing and could have either joined the Ionity group in exchange for adding Chademo plugs, or redesigned the Leaf to support CCS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ionity have no interest in Chademo, only providing 1 50kW chademo plug in areas where they have to by regulation. Similar to EA in the US. CCS is the way forward.

I mean it's their business so I'd nearly say it is fair for them to do what they want, I just feel it's bad business practice, if we had a large range of connector types in this country it would make sense but we only have 2

• Advertisement

Yes I'm aware, questionable to why is all, lost business and all that

Advertisement