Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Bad business practice would be continuing to invest in a proprietary legacy connector when the industry has standardised on CCS.

Writing has been on the wall for a long time, you should complain to Nissan for not updating when they refreshed the design with the 40kWh Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did Nissan ever think about setting up their own network? I’ve never heard anything about them even thinking about it in the past. You would think that given they had a head start with the leaf that they would have put something in place a long time ago, instead of relying on the public network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not in this country anyway no, another example of a bad business practice as Ionity, despite their prices, seem to be well used... Similarly to Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s not just a second plug, it’s allowing people to charge their Leaf at a rate which is quite a bit slower than most CCS cars. Between their hardware, locations and pricing, they’re clearly aimed at the quick en-route stop customer. Having someone plug in a Leaf for 45 minutes potentially blocks three or four customers, making the service less attractive and possibly even selling less electricity as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theres an answer for this......

More chargers in all the different parts of the country - to ensure that everyone's needs are met efficiently and achieving excellent reliability.

From twitter last night......

Guy couldn't charge in Cork yesterday as chargers occupied.

Couldn't charge at Ionity Cashel as ALL 4 chargers which a Leaf can't use were down.

Got stuck waiting behind a Kona in Clonmel for over 90 minutes.

Because the Clonmel charger was a 50 kw - and no charging at destination he had to spend a long time charging on a big battery Polestar to get enough charge for the airport run this morning.

Sometimes it really is as simple as....

More chargers.

And also excellent repair and maintenance processes so that any faults are tackled fast to reduce downtime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Number of sites with these connectors:

TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY 123

TYPE_4_CHADEMO 130

TYPE_2_TETHERED 62

TYPE_2_MENNEKES 537

Split between DC plugs

Chademo usage: 28%

CCS usage: 72%

Fast charging split:

Tethered AC (43kW): 7%

CHAdeMO: 26%

CCS: 67%

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes there should be more chargers but they should be installed in a way to match the current connector usage by the national EV fleet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was amused today when I was changing the payment card on my various charging cards

VW We Charge just does card verification

ESB charges €1 to do the verification and then tops it up into my account

Never miss a chance to grab some cash 😏

EDIT: Actually the €1 charge just got reverted, I apologise for my horrible slander of ESB. I hope the lack of my €1 doesn't impact their charger installations 😜

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin on

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Lots of 50kW chargers installed at Nissan dealerships all over Ireland with chademo only. ESB even used to list them on their app and some still offer free customer charging. Most have introduced fees or restrictions. All listed on plugshare app.

Car companies running charging networks is really quite a different business from running a factory making cars, versus "selling petrol". The leaf should have moved to CCS 5+ years ago. No excuse. Muxan in Netherlands are / will offer to convert leafs to CCS, but it might not be worth the effort.

I see laghy in Donegal is getting 2x 50kW in the next few weeks. Was this supposed to be 150+kW at some point?

In terms of chargers at every garage, I would prefer proper strategic hubs. Garages would just put in a 7kW pillar that's broken or so expensive that no one would use it. I don't think petrol stations have enough room for what's needed which is hubs of chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Selling electricity is not the main business of their shareholders. If they put a chademo connector, then the site becomes a positive for purchasers of their shareholders' competitors' products as well as for the purchasers of their shareholders' products. It makes their own cars more desirable as there is a larger fast charge network available. It's the same principle as Tesla used, that their chargers should be used for their own customers' cars, not for other manufacturers' customers.

Nissan had fast chargers installed in several of their dealers. I don't know how many of them are still operational and available to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CCS is the European standard, absolutely no reason to support foreign standards. The same reason why houses only have BS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Where a Muxsan CCS conversion becomes worth it is where it allows a Leaf stay on the road.

Instead of replacing it with a brand new CCS car and its associated environmental impact of production.

Also if the CCS converted Leaf allows someone get into an EV for a lower cost overall.

Vs a newer car they can't afford.

I was thinking about this for my own leaf but I've not heard a single review about how good or bad the upgrade is and it's €3,000 which is quite a bit to be forking out in fairness

That's confusing, if it's a foreign standard then why are Nissan allowed sell cars with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Because Leaf predates the standard. Arya doesn't so it comes with CCS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Spotted up in Banbridge……

New camping spaces for the locals…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ah FFS this is taking the piss now. They're replacing another 2 NI rapids and yet STILL RC11 in Derry is ignored even though it's been on the blink for 2 years?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a good location for a couple of chargers, will be better when fee's are introduced so the local Tesla owner isn't always on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dsandson

Take a step back... they could just be in transit. In fact if you zoom in and read the wording it says Fast Charger, which is an ROI term. The same charger would be labelled Rapid in NI. Theres a good chance they're just on their way to the site getting upgraded in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Correct, I emailed them and they said they're Donegal bound.

However they also directed me to this list, which is the replacement schedule for NI.

As far as I know, 2 of these are already replaced. 2 others are already functional. 1 is Chademo only.

So why is the only rapid in NI's second largest city, which has been broken for 2 years, not even on the list for replacement?

It's ridiculous.

I was about to say they must have gotten the list from the NI assembly, then I remembered there isn't one 😏

I'd say it the same basic logic that went in the Republic, serve the routes going to the largest city, then very gradually acknowledge the rest of the country exists and start installing chargers (or replacing in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dsandson

I think I recall that the Levelling Up Fund was providing enough to replace all the existing rapids, and a substantial number of additional rapids, some of which would replace AC chargers. I think it's fair to say that all of the original rapids are on the list. It's just where they are on that list is what we would like to know!

For what it's worth the Newry Fiveways rapid had issues with the landowner. It understable, the rapid is located at a congested area of the site and I'm sure that one won't be replaced as soon as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

I really wish the unit on the Moy Road in Dungannon was on that "to be replaced" list. Was pulling a mighty 9kW from the CCS plug and the AC plug wouldn't lock into my car because part of the plastic housing (containing the locking hole) was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

See my post on easygo thread regarding Mayo County Council.

ESB are being left behind, maybe that was the plan all along…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't think it is a plan it just happens organically. As the number of EV is increasing, EV charging appeals more to the commercial players. Prices of chargers dropped substantially in recent years so anyone can afford one. The matter for debate is the land and access to the grid. Here an Alpitronic 150kW for 55k. If we do a kitty, we might raise the money for one or two :). Unfortunately we are a bit too small market for the big players right now and the local ones don't think big. Look at how they "upgrade' Laghey: 2 weeks spanning across a Bank Holiday. Is that a plan? Whould defo not happen in a commercial enterprise. I'm so curious to know how much ecars pay for those two 50kW units? I think I said it before, the best thing for the consumer would be ecars to be sold to some like fastned or gridserve who would get rid of the tokens and install proper chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

…..and they’d also probably shift on about 70% of the staff….. (and it’s probably for that exact reason it would never be sold, or rather never be bought, as I’m sure with them being a semi-state, any such sale would be conditional on all the staff being retained, and with all their semi-state perks……)

Poor Anna could be in trouble!!

I recently saw an article saying that Tesla could install chargers in the US for around €30k each whereas their competitors were estimating over €100k each

I suspect there was some funny maths going on both ways, since the Texas grant was something like €100k per charger and Tesla can also disguise some of their costs in other expenses

Still, it does demonstrate that building charging hubs at scale yields a lot of cost savings

Kind of makes you wonder if ESB should just contract the charging network out to Tesla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Probably helps a bit that Tesla make their chargers rather than buying someone else's.

Advertisement