Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd say he's mistaken or misspoke. Some in that same clip don't seem to know the difference between kWs & kWhs 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

This was the scene at Ballinalack on the N4 yesterday, a decent "hub" of 130kW CCS + 70kW chadamo and a 50kW CCS or Chadamo, but one of the few options on the N4.

A ID3 on the 130kW CCS, a leaf on the 70kW chadamo, an ID3 on the 50kW CCS (which I think is the optimal use of this setup). Another ID3 in the queue. Not pictured is a Volvo XC40 recharge, an eNiro and my own car. Had I needed to use this I would have been 5th in the queue.... 10 mins maybe if the ID3s were nearly done.... More likely closer to 45 mins to even get started. Instead I abandoned the quick top up and just drove like a saint into the better weather ahead (got home with 20km left).

I feel for the people who really needed the charge, no other real choice but to wait. This sort of charger set up every 20km or so would be acceptable, so it boils my blood when we're told the network is up to the task for the next five years. Roll on the Apple green installs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not a great salary for a supposed mid senior management role.

Interesting job though. Not sure I'm ready for the gender reassignment surgery though. All employees are Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That ESB layout is atrocious.

The Delta is clearly designed for a petrol station type set up.

A sensible idea by Delta undone by ESB and site owner lack of proper planning

But looks like you can only access two of the 4 connectors.

Am I right in thinking that if all 4 connectors were properly accessible - then one of the ID3s could have gone on a 2nd CCS connector on the Delta?????*.

One could argue that Leaf should use the 50 but that only works if the Leaf arrived before the ID3 that's on the 50 kw charger.

*even with Leaf using Chademo on Delta.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Long queues to be expected at Bank Holiday weekends when travel levels higher than normal, we are nowhere near the level to manage volume at fast chargers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I love how the site owner is expected to hand over his land for a forecourt type set up, probably with a canopy, rest and refreshment area, and monitored patrolled clamping service, all for 4 cars queueing on a bank holiday weekend.

I know for sure, I will not be queueing.

No, there's 2*HPC plugs and 1*FCP plug that can be used together, excluding the AC43.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Checked the stats. This October bank holiday weekend had double the CCS usage of last years October bank holiday. About 80% extra CHAdeMO usage. And about 40% LESS AC43 usage. 50% more Slow charging too.

Probably people who don't usually travel, going somewhere on the 1 or 2 times a year, in their leafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure the point you're making. CHAdeMO usage up 80%, CCS usage up 100%. Throw shade at leafs 🤔

Considering the additional range most CCS cars have over CHAdeMO (leafs), it's impressive how much more usage CCS gets. 2.6 times more CCS charging that CHAdeMO.

In other stats, the average charging time per CCS site* was 1 minute longer than the average charging time per slow charger site*. ~6 hours

*site being a location of 1 or more units

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

No harm to note that 62kWh Leafs (Leaves?) are capable of 100kW on Chademo ... Sure, they're a rare thing, but there's a solid chance the new model leaf there was one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

1) I thought in error that all 4 connectors could be used simultaneously if two Leafs and two CCS cars at charger. If the charger layout was correct.

2) I love the way that ESBs approach relies on two uninterested parties making something they are disinterested in work.

Its like you've got an ESB ecars that has no plan going around to random site owners asking if they *might* be interested in hosting ESB units on sites.

And you've got site owners who just see some money or incentive coming in the door and will accept a charger in the corner of the yard.

Neither side having any sense of the potential opportunities of being part of a really good future charging network...

I've got visions of some ESB eCars rep needing to get a site to tick off their to do list for a meeting next month.

Dealing with some Healy Rae type that doesn't think that EVs are the future but won't refuse easy money.

The point is I shouldnt skim read. I missed the 100% CCS uptick in my rush to jump on the chademo stats

No, they are capable of approx 75kW peak, for about 5-10 minutes.

Hardee har har

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The infrastructure is also better (still not good, but better) than October 2021 so logic would dictate that people are more willing to travel more in their EVs

The extra Chademo usage could be down to a lot of first time EV owners who might have bought a second hand leaf in the last few weeks bringing it on their long-weekend break

The exception is the AC43 which only ever had a handful of cars in the country in the first place that could use the standard and now a diminishing number of AC43 compatible chargers as ESB upgrade their sites

Speculating of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Had to stop at Kiltullagh earlier today unexpectedly. 150kW not being used and an M3 on the 50 kW….as the 150kW was broken. Rang ecars and was told the 150kW was out of order since 28 October and no idea when it would be fixed. A bank holiday weekend and a busy site still out of action, poor show by ecars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Used the new site in Kimmage today, the triple head is still offline, I can just about charge the Mini by going nose-in on the left side of the unit, nice to know in case I ever need to charge there and there is a leaf using the triple head from the middle spot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was there this afternoon and watched the lads working on it. It does seem that you may be able to charge if you park behind the chargers? I'm not too confident about them being ICE'd because I've seen some wonderful displays in that carpark over the years. Christmas time will be a nightmare but all in all its good to see more chargers added.

Was at the Galway plaza last Wednesday, CCS on the 150kW was offline. Rang ecars and said it was offline since 27/10, a busy bank holiday weekend and still not working when I look at the app today. Not good enough from ecars.

Had to wait for the M3 to finish on the 50kW , unless he really needed the charge not sure why he wouldn’t just head straight to Athenry another 10 mins down the road? Do some Tesla drivers avoid the superchargers due to the pricing ?

CHAdeMO on the 150kW is working though….

• Advertisement

Athenry is often busy/iced. The tesla owner would see this on his MCU screen. (well, the busy part, not the iced part). Maybe he had kids who wanted supermacs over a hotel meal!

Chademo working on the 150kW means possibly one of the DC modules has failed. Chademo is 75kW only, whereas CCS can be 75 or 150 on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm pretty convinced that Supermacs is the main religion in the West

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Exactly. One cant assume why anyone uses a particular charger as there could be any number of reasons. The M3 driver may have been going from Loughrea to Dublin, so going to Athenry would add another 20+ minutes onto the journey. Maybe its a company car and the driver has a DCI One Rev charging card which only covers ESB, Ionity & Chargepoint, so using a Tesla supercharger comes out of their own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

....and its cheaper to use eCars

After 2 and a half years of free Supercharging, the next time I have to use a Supercharger I'll have to pay for the first time!! So If I was going to Galway now and was passing Galway Plaza, I'd check it's status using the cars internet browser and if I saw that the 150kW unit was available, I'd go there before I went to Athenry SuC....

Superchargers are great and all, but if there's a cheaper option (likely), and if that cheaper option is available (less likely), I'm taking the cheaper option every time!!

I even saw it in Castlebellingham a few weeks ago (posted about it here), a Model 3 on the eCars 50kW unit while 2 cars waited for it, and only 3 Tesla's using the 8 charger Supercharger site 20 meters away.

So I guess there’s no problem then opening up the suc to non Tesla cars….😉

Me personally, I'd say no, I'd prefer they didn't open, as they are a privately installed network by a company that also sells EV's, and by extension, access to said private charging network. But ultimately it's going to happen. I just hope that when it does happen, Applegreen & Circle K will have installed a decent network that would be on a par with the Tesla network, so the fuss won't be as great over the opening.

The main reason I don't want to see it opened is because the network outside of Tesla is fairly sh1t, so if they opened up today I'd probably have to start queuing to use them when I needed them, and that just won't work as it negates the reason for going with a Tesla in the 1st place.

the (partially publicly funded) ESB network is open to all, and that includes Tesla drivers, and rightfully so.

the (privately) funded Tesla network is only open to Tesla's (in Ireland), and rightfully so in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Unless the tesla in this example was already at a very high state of charge and pulling (way) less than 50kW (and thus would pay less per kWh without any speed disadvantage) I can't fathom why they'd choose ESB over the SC metres away.

Unless they were mocking the rest of us non-tesla owners just for sh1ts and giggles, which I'd sort of admire tbh.

As was mentioned above, maybe it's a company car and the driver will only be re-imbursed for using eCars, or maybe an error in his payment method in the Tesla account prevented him from starting a charge on the Supercharger..... or maybe they had the time, and were happy enough to plod along at 50kW at a cheaper rate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Food! Food is the reason. A 150kW charger doesn’t give you time to get food whereas a plod-along 50kW gives you time to eat and go to the toilet.

Advertisement