Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Any chance eCars will lower their rates soon given the recent (albeit minimal) reductions the Energy companies announced in the consumer market and the political pressure being put on energy costs in general?

IIRC they were slow enough to raise their prices, so presume would be the same on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

11 minutes and 17 seconds was the charger duration. No, definitely was connected to 50kW charger (can confirm kWh drawn from Tesla app) - I think there is some bug in the calculation of a kWh that thinks the charger is a 150kWh charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They announced the last one a month in advance, and most of the supplier price drops are from October onwards

So I'm not holding my breath 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

After follow-up, a credit was applied to my account, but no communication or confirmation of error other than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

The groundworks have started at this location. Didn't take a picture as there is no much to show. I imagine in 1-2 weeks the chargers would be erected. I'll keep an eye. That will be probably the best location off M50 for fast charging considering the amenities and easy access. Tesla shop is under refurb so maybe will have a lounge with some toilets but still more to drive off the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

People are currently paying their crazy prices on the back of ESB Group (their parent company) having recorded huge profits. If they drop prices profits would drop as well... Why would a for-profit company do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

not huge, about 14% return. and lot of it from their GB business. the Carrington power plant is the newest and most efficient one in GB.

profits are reinvested or paid out to the government, they don't operate like a normal private company in that they are not really profit driven.

Electric Ireland can not be supported by ESB, they broke even.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ESB group are a semi state and not necessarily a for profit company. They pay dividends every year to the exchequer.

Also, we've been over this several times. Ecars and ESBn are separate companies and ESBn performance is not related to ecars pricing.

14% sounds great until you see it's 30% higher in the first 6 months of this year Vs 2022...

ESBn performance is not related to ecars pricing.

So what you're saying is that it's a complete coincidence that customers of ESB group companies are paying some of the highest tarrifs in the EU and ESB group have at the same time made a profit of €676m, in the first 6 months of the year?

I'd hate to say it but I think you might be wrong on that one...

• Advertisement

profits mainly attributable to the GB market.

we are an island with no indigenous resources , no gas storage and no AC interconnections. As a result Our unit price is higher than mainland EU countries.

I can't be "wrong on that one" as the company structure is externally and publicly available information. Not only that but it is a mandated structure, given the ESB group position as the legacy incumbent. They (and BGE for gas) were allowed to remain vertically integrated and have a networks (TSO/DSO and then a separate Eirgrid) companies as well as a supply business and other subcompanies that purchase from the grid. Same as Energia for instance, they generate and sell to the grid, and their supply arm then purchases from the grid. You cannot generate and sell the energy you generate directly to end users without creating a separate microgrid.

Ecars, Tesla, Ionity, Applegreen and anyone else operating DC chargers in Ireland must pay their supply company, who must then pay networks for the same electricty as well as MIC charges etcc.

You purposefully, consciously and repeatedly push back against this to obfuscate but I'm not sure what your gripe with ESB group is. A lot of their profit even comes from ESBI, which operates outside of the country, as well as their charging business in UK. The profit made by ESB group is returned to the exchequer y way of dividend. I have never worked for ESB, although I have worked many moons ago as a pricing analyst in a different supply company not related to ESB.

If you don't like the ecars prices dont use them. Simple really. I use ecars chargers only really in my leaf 24 if I need a bit more juice that day and its not sunny. Otherwise, in our other EVs we only use Tesla or Ionity.

Exactly. They generate and sell to the grid - for profit. The fact that their consumer arm makes no profit doesn't matter.

If I own a meat wholesaler and a butchers my butchers can operate on a break even principal while my meat wholesaler profits. I still get the money at the end of the day though. Likewise if I reduce my prices in the wholesalers but not in the butchers I keep the same profit

The big difference is that people can choose not to eat meat and therefore my business can suffer but while plenty can go without meat the same can not be said for electricity

As for your suggestion of not using the biggest public network of car chargers in Ireland, while you are correct that I can do that it is quite hard as while they are not a monopoly they are frequently the only charge point operator for miles

Sure it is, we coincidentally happen to be paying some of the highest rates in Europe

They - ESBn =/= Ecars though. ESB powergen division generates power and sells to the grid, same as other companies like energia, sse, I'm sure there are others that escape me.

So you suggest that ecars are operating not at a profit? Because the group is profitable? Or are you arguing that ecars is profitable? I fail to see what point you are making here. These are multiple regulated entities that are separate from each other in operation, but not only that, cannot subsidise or give favorable treatment to group companies over others. Whatever Electric Ireland get, for instance, must be given to flogas, energia, vayu etc

Well my Day just got better

To be honest @ted1 I think its for the best for me too.

I think that might only work for PMs lads, doesn't stop people replying to your public posts 😉

Probably the only way out when you're loosing an argument 🤣🤣🤣

It stops you from seen their posts ,

it’s like being able to ignore the drunk in the pub talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

I'll be kind and use the word "interesting" to describe this layout. A car with the charge port on the rear passenger side will need to park in the left or middle space to charge. The middle space would subsequently reduce this layout from 3 DC chargers to 2?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's just the standard naff layout that eCars use to squeeze a high powered charger + 50kW DC into a space that was previously 4 parking spaces.

Ah yes, the classical Ecars sh!t sandwich

Was hoping we'd seen the last of them but looks like they've a few still in stock 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I drove past that charger about 25 minutes ago.

The furthest space was half ICE'd (car well over the line), the middle space had a van in it using the 50kW CCS, and the closest space had a BMW PHEV plugged into the AC. So thats the 150kW unit completely wiped out..

"maybe' an i3 might have fitted into the half ice'd space to use the 150kW unit, but it would have been very tight...

Kind Regards,

~~eCars~~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

less than 20 minutes away there are parking spaces for rent for 1200 a year, If I owned a car park I would want that income at least, If I owned a charging company I would try to spend as little as possible and try to maximise return.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

Perhaps it makes sense on the balance sheet but it's still a sh!t sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

Hi

I'm new to electric charging can anyone tell me how the price works on this charger?

thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is easygo, this thread is esb ecars.

In general with easygo price varies by site. It's 27c to start a charge, 70c per unit of electricity consumed and an overstay fee after 60 minutes of 8 Euro.

For example you plug in for 45 minutes and consume 20kWh of energy. The fee id 27c + 70c x 20 = 14.27 euro. The screenshot you are using looks slightly different, you may not be using the easygo app or this site is worded differently. If using a non easygo app then prices and fees can vary all over the place with some roaming apps having per minute fee. If you touch to pay by credit card the fees may be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

Thanks for that. I have download the easy go app and added credit to it so I can use the app.

it be my first charging my car tomorrow at that station from the screenshot.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Have a look at the Freshmile app. At the moment it generally costs less than EasyGo. If you are going to be using public charging a lot, then have a look at the Chargeprice app also, which provides you with information on which app is best value for your expected price per kWh and time spent charging.

The cost for charging varies hugely between apps at the same charging stations, so it's worth doing some research up front.

Advertisement