Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That one is run by a company called EV Charge Online. You need to start the charge on their website, I couldn't even find an app for them either. It's free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I saw Nigel Daly installed one outside their premises, but I have no idea if it’s restricted to customers or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stealthirl wrote: »
    The eCars 22kw at Tesco Maynooth has got a lot busier in the last 12 months. Locals with no home charging use it a fair bit. My last few times there it's had 2 cars plugged in and sometimes a 3rd parked waiting.

I've been charging there a few times as I did my big weekly shop there during lockdown a couple of times (big Tesco extra, only place I could find hair clippers back in April, couldn't even buy them anywhere online :D) and with the queuing and over an hour for the shop I would usually take in about 40kWh in about 1h50m there, but last time there were 4 EVs there with only 2 chargers :eek:

I've noticed several times on these type of chargers that locals left their car there. How do I know? Because a car pulls up with two people in it, one gets out, goes to the EV, unplugs and drives away. Why do people go through all that hassle in say a Leaf where they probably only took on 35kWh (€3 saving) at most? I guess because they are either the ultimate cheap skate or they don't have a charger at home and shouldn't have bought an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    I've been charging there a few times as I did my big weekly shop there during lockdown a couple of times (big Tesco extra, only place I could find hair clippers back in April, couldn't even buy them anywhere online :D) and with the queuing and over an hour for the shop I would usually take in about 40kWh in about 1h50m there, but last time there were 4 EVs there with only 2 chargers :eek:

I've noticed several times on these type of chargers that locals left their car there. How do I know? Because a car pulls up with two people in it, one gets out, goes to the EV, unplugs and drives away. Why do people go through all that hassle in say a Leaf where they probably only took on 35kWh (€3 saving) at most? I guess because they are either the ultimate cheap skate or they don't have a charger at home and shouldn't have bought an EV.

Or because they dont mind paying 50 quid a week but god help us all if theres an extra fiver on the ESB bill. This is a very Irish mentality, as Irish as freaking out about turning off the immersion or saying "bye" a hundred times till the other person hangs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

People don't know what they are doing, simple as that. EV owners can be as ignorant as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I charged my car off a lamppost in Dun Laoghaire yesterday, I didn't realise there were any of these in Ireland.

I passed that on Sunday, and was going to stop there, but saw one side of the eCars AC outside Nando's had just become available, so went there instead.

I know people often say why the bother of plugging in for a few free kWh etc.. but by doing so, I got a fairly good parking spot in the centre of town, and 11kWh of free energy for my troubles.

Sometimes it's worth plugging in to an AC (even for just 30 minutes) for the parking space you get, as opposed to the few free kWh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not always the free charge or parking spot, it's nice to get some comfort range, parking anyhow so why not

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sometimes it's worth plugging in to an AC (even for just 30 minutes) for the parking space you get, as opposed to the few free kWh.

Indeed. That's the main reason I plugged into the charger closed to the cliff walk in Bray several times (often the only available parking spot) and herself in Dundrum shopping centre the parking spaces right beside the entrance door

slave1 wrote: »
    it's nice to get some comfort range

That as well. I left the house at 80%, and arrived home after an 89km round trip drive at 76%.

I'll happily take it while it's still free...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Stealthirl wrote: »
    The eCars 22kw at Tesco Maynooth has got a lot busier in the last 12 months

Locals migrated from the DC chargers once charges came in to the free AC charge points.
    unkel wrote: »
    I guess because they are either the ultimate cheap skate or they don't have a charger at home and shouldn't have bought an EV.

I always take a charger with me when out in my EV. I thought all EV owners did likewise?
    :p

As ELM327 said - an Irish thing. Will spend €60k on an EV but queue for an hour for 50c worth of electrons, as long as it's free :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

That as well. I left the house at 80%, and arrived home after an 89km round trip drive at 76%.

I'll happily take it while it's still free...

That's all well & good, but if everyone local does that, the EV driver who is a long way from home & actually needs some charge, is outta luck.

It's no different from locals hogging the free DC chargers.

The sooner a nominal charge is introduced, the better. Even 10c/kWh will free up the AC charge points for people who actually need them.

............runs off to remove his 3.7kW capable PHEV from the local AC charge point he left there yesterday..........:D

Kramer wrote: »
    That's all well & good, but if everyone local does that, the EV driver who is a long way from home & actually needs some charge

I certainly wasn’t local! And was a fairly long way from home.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's all well & good, but if everyone local does that, the EV driver who is a long way from home & actually needs some charge, is outta luck.

It's no different from locals hogging the free DC chargers.

The sooner a nominal charge is introduced, the better. Even 10c/kWh will free up the AC charge points for people who actually need them.

............runs off to remove his 3.7kW capable PHEV from the local AC charge point he left there yesterday..........:D

It'll be 29c a kWh. Few cent less if you've the monthly subscription.

They'll be empty once that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I charged my car off a lamppost in Dun Laoghaire yesterday, I didn't realise there were any of these in Ireland.

There's another lamppost charger on the main street in Blanchardstown village too!

It'll be 29c a kWh.

Yup.

Imagine someone from Cork or Limerick visits Ikea or Decathlon to shop for several hours, only to find all AC charge points taken by locals who are plugged in, just because the charge is free & the spots are right beside the door :eek:.

Obviously, if Ikea et al want to provide the service for customers, that's grand, but ECars AC public charge points shouldn't be free for locals, or those who don't need a charge, to hog, IMO.

I've heard anecdotes of people actually driving out to Decathlon, just to charge up, because it's free, their 23kW capable, 85kWh, €20k Teslas :P.

:D.

Yup.

Imagine someone from Cork or Limerick visits Ikea or Decathlon to shop for several hours, only to find all AC charge points taken by locals who are plugged in, just because the charge is free & the spots are right beside the door :eek:.

Obviously, if Ikea et al want to provide the service for customers, that's grand, but ECars AC public charge points shouldn't be free for locals, or those who don't need a charge, to hog, IMO.

I've heard anecdotes of people actually driving out to Decathlon, just to charge up, because it's free, their 23kW capable, 85kWh, €20k Teslas :P.

:D.

I hear they drive there just to tell everyone about how their first EV was only €26k, and held it's value really well!:pac::pac:

Stupid to charge same rate on AC as DC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

BigAl81 wrote: »
    There's another lamppost charger on the main street in Blanchardstown village too!

Tried it out one day out of interest when I was going to SuperValu, never again though!! I think it is a 3kw one, added hardly anything and not worth having to park so far from the shop.

Stupid to charge same rate on AC as DC

4c cheaper than DC (DC costing 33c/kWh) Think the subscription rate was going to be 25c. None of it is in any way good news for those who don't have a driveway. It'll completely free up the slow charge points for those who need them though, which I guess when you think about it, is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

ELM327 wrote:
    Can't have overstay fees on destination chargers. That would be stupid Unless they use time based charging when you're connected (as opposed to when you are charging) then there is no way of doing what you suggest.

No, just higher per kW/min/hour rates after first initial hours to encourage efficient usage of the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

It should be lower than that. In case of DC charging you pay for the speed (well sort of) but can't see why 7 times slower (if you do 7 kW) or 4 times slower (if you do 12 kW) charging should be only 10% cheaper.

But I've had a look at CEZ charges (CEZ is a Czech version of Irish ESB or German EON, state owned largest energy company), they run their own network there.

PAYG
    28c/kWh both DC and AC
    And
    7c/min from 91st minute while charging DC OR from 1st minute after charging finishes

7c/min from 481st minute while charging AC OR from 1st minute after charging finishes

So sort of penalised by a) charging more than 90 minutes on DC or more than 6 hours on AC and b) leaving the car plugged after finishing the charge on both AC and DC.

I've also had a look at EON.

PAYG
    11c/kWh AC
    22c/kWh DC 50 kW
    33c/kWh UFC 175 kW

Right, that's more in line with my idea of charging based on the speed. Can't see any sort of time based fees though, strange!

Sounds like a more usable pricing structure, but it's not what we'll get. Unless they change their minds while the no fee period is extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a street lamp charger in Swords just off main street on chapel lane. Provides 7kW at least. No need for activation, just plug in. Seems to be fingal council unit.

Also one in Waterford tramore at business premises demo unit.

In terms of esb expansion Limerick, Newcastlewest, old AC unit replaced with new AC unit recently.

All chargers mentioned shown on plugshare with photos.

I specifically try not to fill up at free chargers if I don't need it to allow those who do need to fill up. I sometimes connect to check if they still work and update status on plugshare app. I would connect if there were half a dozen free chargers co located.

McGiver wrote: »
    No, just higher per kW/min/hour rates after first initial hours to encourage efficient usage of the charger.
    efficient use of the charger = get a train back from Dublin to Waterford 3 hours into the day, as you are finished charging, then another train back to work, then another train home again?

Remind me again why EVs are great?

Train station good example of where we need to look at.

Take (local emmission friendly) EV to train station
    Park up and slow charge EV as incentive
    Take train to destination (environmentally friendly mode of mass transport)
    Return many hours later to charged up EV
    Go home

How is anyone thinking to charge full rate for slow destination charging and then an overstay fee?
    Someone has lost the concept here, basic concept at that

Exactly
    We don't need to "encourage efficient use" of AC chargers. We need to encourage their use, period. And if there's not enough, build more. They aren't expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Train station good example of where we need to look at.

Take (local emmission friendly) EV to train station
    Park up and slow charge EV as incentive
    Take train to destination (environmentally friendly mode of mass transport)
    Return many hours later to charged up EV
    Go home

How is anyone thinking to charge full rate for slow destination charging and then an overstay fee?
    Someone has lost the concept here, basic concept at that
    Yep they're an interesting use-case. With most EVs you can buy today having a range of 250km+, I'm not sure it makes sense anymore to encourage people who are coming from 10/20/30km away to use the chargers at train stations. I'd guess there are people coming to train stations who may be coming from 100km+ away and I personally think fees need to be structured to try and keep the chargers available for people like this but simply may not make it home unless they can get that charge.

Not sure what that looks like tbh, but I think having heaps of cars plugged in that have only travelled from nearby and so only need 10% top-up is not a good use of resources!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

ELM327 wrote: »
    Exactly
    We don't need to "encourage efficient use" of AC chargers. We need to encourage their use, period. And if there's not enough, build more. They aren't expensive.

Train stations could have 12 sockets. Either 3.3 kW each dumb socket or load balancing. 10 hours plugged in at 3.3 should suffice.

Even the 2*22 kW AC units could have other units located beside giving 6 sockets. A and B sockets could be priority with sockets C to F in a queue or again load balancing if there is available power. Priority hierarchy for 22 kW charging etc so as not to screw over Zoes and other 22 kW capable cars. Two cars charging at 7 kW isn't a good use of the AC point.

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Yep they're an interesting use-case. With most EVs you can buy today having a range of 250km+, I'm not sure it makes sense anymore to encourage people who are coming from 10/20/30km away to use the chargers at train stations. I'd guess there are people coming to train stations who may be coming from 100km+ away and I personally think fees need to be structured to try and keep the chargers available for people like this but simply may not make it home unless they can get that charge.

Not sure what that looks like tbh, but I think having heaps of cars plugged in that have only travelled from nearby and so only need 10% top-up is not a good use of resources!

I suggest the ilk of folk driving that distance to a train station will not need to charge up every day, however they may need every second or third day and this is an incentive to do so, think Leaf 24/30 and any other early EV model owner and in a few years any heavily degraded EV.

We need to keep incentives up, penetration is nowhere near past early adopters!!

I have no problem with charging for Rapids, that has freed up a lot of chargers for quick stop charges but I fundamentally feel they should leave AC chargers alone and leave free charging as incentives, or at least match the lowest night rate.

• Advertisement

Train stations could have 12 sockets. Either 3.3 kW each dumb socket or load balancing. 10 hours plugged in at 3.3 should suffice.

Even the 2*22 kW AC units could have other units located beside giving 6 sockets. A and B sockets could be priority with sockets C to F in a queue or again load balancing if there is available power. Priority hierarchy for 22 kW charging etc so as not to screw over Zoes and other 22 kW capable cars. Two cars charging at 7 kW isn't a good use of the AC point.
    Priority, load balancing etc all costs money
    Putting in a bank of 7kW chargers is a more efficient and cost effective solution. No one needs 22kW at a destination charger like a train station.

Advertisement