Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    I suggest the ilk of folk driving that distance to a train station will not need to charge up every day, however they may need every second or third day and this is an incentive to do so, think Leaf 24/30 and any other early EV model owner and in a few years any heavily degraded EV.

We need to keep incentives up, penetration is nowhere near past early adopters!!

I have no problem with charging for Rapids, that has freed up a lot of chargers for quick stop charges but I fundamentally feel they should leave AC chargers alone and leave free charging as incentives, or at least match the lowest night rate.
    I agree but would accept day rate
    Charging 3x the day rate for AC charging is nonsense. It makes sense for DC as you're supplying more power.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    I agree but would accept day rate
    Charging 3x the day rate for AC charging is nonsense. It makes sense for DC as you're supplying more power.

Yup. I think day rate would be fair to those without driveways and pointless to locals.

Agree with other posters too. Some places just don't need 22kW or even 7kW charge point. Seems esb are solving every problem with a new/faster charge point, rather than identifying the use case at the site in question. Give me a 3.5kW charge point at work, or even a 3 pin socket and id be happy. Other work places might need quicker turn around times, so 7 or 22kW might be better suited to them, but those are private installs so not really relevant here.

22kW charge points at train stations isn't what they need. They need multiple charge points. A 22kW charge point satisfies 2 drivers. 2 7kW charge points satisfies 4 drivers.

Town centres, tourist spots, parks are better served with 22kW. Quicker turn around times of cars, and faster rate for those who can take it.

Supermarkets are better served by fast chargers I'd imagine. AC charge points will be empty once fees come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How is anyone thinking to charge full rate for slow destination charging and then an overstay fee?
    Someone has lost the concept here, basic concept at that

+1

And to add to that, abolish the rule that you must be actually charging to avail of free parking at an AC (destination) charge point. Being plugged in suffices. Of course it's likely that at some point your charge will be finished if your car is there for many, many hours on end while you have taken the train to work. So what?

unkel wrote: »
    +1

And to add to that, abolish the rule that you must be actually charging to avail of free parking at an AC (destination) charge point. Being plugged in suffices. Of course it's likely that at some point your charge will be finished if your car is there for many, many hours on end while you have taken the train to work. So what?
    This rule, like the free parking rule, varies in its implementation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re Paying for DC charging, are you paying for the charge or the less time spent charging?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Re Paying for DC charging, are you paying for the charge or the less time spent charging?
    Yes.

You're paying for both. Hence why it's 3X day rate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

+1

It highlights my biggest issue with the AC network. AC charging is something that a location should offer, not something a charging network should supply. That's not saying eCars/Easygo shouldn't be involved in the provision, but it should be done so as a service to the location rather than on an energy provided basis. eCars running the AC network for Tesco is a good example, hopefully Tesco are paying for eCars as a service provider rather than expecting eCars to make money from the locations.

liamog wrote: »
    It highlights my biggest issue with the AC network. AC charging is something that a location should offer, not something a charging network should supply. That's not saying eCars/Easygo shouldn't be involved in the provision, but it should be done so as a service to the location rather than on an energy provided basis. eCars running the AC network for Tesco is a good example, hopefully Tesco are paying for eCars as a service provider rather than expecting eCars to make money from the locations.
    Tesco paying ecars would make sense, as they already have fossil fuel deals of 5-10c per litre off for customers in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Priority, load balancing etc all costs money
    Putting in a bank of 7kW chargers is a more efficient and cost effective solution. No one needs 22kW at a destination charger like a train station.

12 sockets at 3.3 kW was the suggestion for train stations initially. I agree load balancing in that scenario wouldn't pay for itself and didn't need a mention.

For 2*22 kW destination chargers this would potentially be worth a viable income per hour to eCars if charging comes in at 22c/kWh if all the power available is sold. That ought to be motivation for eCars to have as much as possible of the supply being used for income generation while providing a better service at the same time.

12 sockets at 3.3 kW was the suggestion for train stations initially. I agree load balancing in that scenario wouldn't pay for itself and didn't need a mention.

For 2*22 kW destination chargers this would potentially be worth €968 per hour to eCars if charging comes in at 22c/kWh. That ought to be motivation for eCars to have as much as possible of the supply being used for income generation while providing a better service at the same time.

29c. They like to gouge

• Advertisement

29c. They like to gouge
    29c for AC will make sure they are always available, thats for sure!

I guess that's the beauty of it, though anything over day rate per kWh would of freed them up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

44kWDC charger now installed tanyeard lane tullamore instead of 2 x 22kW. May not be active yet but its physically fitted

zg3409 wrote: »
    44kW charger now installed tanyeard lane tullamore. May not be active yet but its physically fitted

Do you work for ecars or something? You seem to be aware of nearly every charge point in the country.

Do you work for ecars or something? You seem to be aware of nearly every charge point in the country.
    If you follow plugshare and facebook it's easy to stay aware of these.
    This specific charger was posted in the IEVOA group this morning for instance.

zg3409 wrote: »
    44kWDC charger now installed tanyeard lane tullamore instead of 2 x 22kW. May not be active yet but its physically fitted

This is killing the progress, that rate for destination chargers and installing a 2kW charger, honestly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just start charging for slow charging and leave those old AC chargers alone. What a waste of tax payer's money investing in them :(

Get the feck on with those fast charging hubs that this country desperately needs for progressing to more people (including those without a driveway) owning EVs. The priorities are all wrong and I guess there is no politician around in government with any vision who can tell the ESB to stop wasting money and do a proper infrastructure upgrade. Not downgrade :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Get the feck on with those fast charging hubs that this country desperately needs for progressing to more people (including those without a driveway) owning EVs.

Charging hubs wont solve that problem. More AC solutions is whats needed for that.

If you exclusively charge on DC you can expect your battery not to last the course particularly the smaller batteries... until they change battery tech.

And even if it didnt have a negative effect on your battery would you really want to go to a charging hub and charge once or twice a week and sit in your car for 30-60mins or more. The public wont go for that... the charging hubs are for long distance driving, not for enabling those without a driveway.

KCross wrote: »
    Charging hubs wont solve that problem. More AC solutions is whats needed for that.

If you exclusively charge on DC you can expect your battery not to last the course particularly the smaller batteries... until they change battery tech.

And even if it didnt have a negative effect on your battery would you really want to go to a charging hub and charge once or twice a week and sit in your car for 30-60mins or more. The public wont go for that... the charging hubs are for long distance driving, not for enabling those without a driveway.
    Agree
    Widespread AC charging.

In parts of the US every public car park spot has a plug, just a 10a/110v outlet, but they are used for block heaters.

If you installed 13a/220v CEE plugs in most carpark places it would solve the lack of driveway issue.

...and there's plenty of lamp posts in our car parks to tap a low AC charger into, no digging, no major works, as easy peasy as it gets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Charging hubs wont solve that problem. More AC solutions is whats needed for that. And even if it didnt have a negative effect on your battery would you really want to go to a charging hub and charge once or twice a week and sit in your car for 30-60mins or more. The public wont go for that... the charging hubs are for long distance driving, not for enabling those without a driveway.

Park your car at a 50kW charger in the supermarket car park whilst doing your weekly shop? Sounds like the end of the world!

Park your car at a 50kW charger in the supermarket car park whilst doing your weekly shop? Sounds like the end of the world!

I don’t think that will become the norm anytime soon though. The cost of a rapid and the fact it’s just one car doesn’t make economic sense.

Those scenarios will be banks of AC Charge points until DC drastically reduces in price.

...and there's plenty of lamp posts in our car parks to tap a low AC charger into, no digging, no major works, as easy peasy as it gets

There isnt 3kW spare at every lamp post. There would be upgrade works required so not entirely easy peasy but it is one of a suite of solutions that needs to be ramped up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don’t think that will become the norm anytime soon though. The cost of a rapid and the fact it’s just one car doesn’t make economic sense.

I don't know why the likes of Tesco don't go for this option!! They already sell petrol and diesel, and its linked to their club card for discounts etc...

Install 2 to 4 50kWh DC chargers and suddenly every Tesco carpark becomes a forecourt and a stream of revenue.

they could add so many promotions onto it.. spend more than €50 in store, and your charge cost is free/reduced etc...

I don't know why the likes of Tesco don't go for this option!! They already sell petrol and diesel, and its linked to their club card for discounts etc...

Install 2 to 4 50kWh DC chargers and suddenly every Tesco carpark becomes a forecourt and a stream of revenue.

Cost.

The stream of revenue wouldnt match what a petrol/diesel forecourt would produce.... maybe in time it would but for now it wouldnt.

Rapid charging is somewhat of a chicken and egg problem.... we need alot more of them to encourage EV uptake but they are not commerically viable until we have more EV uptake.... hence the need for the climate action fund to fund some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

they could add so many promotions onto it.. spend more than €50 in store, and your charge cost is free/reduced etc...

Just to correct you, Tesco are out of the petrol station business in Ireland now.

They manage it in the land of free enterprise UK. Supermarkets regularly act as host sites for 50kW chargers, they also manage it in mainland Europe, and the US. But let's create an Irish solution, AC chargers everywhere!

But let's create an Irish solution, AC chargers everywhere!

You don’t think we need that?

We need AC and DC. Lots of. Has to be commercially viable though and being a small island the economics are a little harder.

You don’t think we need that?

We need AC and DC. Lots of. Has to be commercially viable though and being a small island the economics are a little harder.

No, I don't. I think we needed that in 2015, when a car needed 3 charges a week to cover average weekly mileage, and a 50kW charge was a C rate of 2.5. Now that we've busted through the once a week charge covers the average weekly and a 50kW charger is 0.8C we can fill the gaps for on-street parking by 50kW district hubs instead AC chargers at every lamppost.

• Advertisement

No, I don't. I think we needed that in 2015, when a car needed 3 charges a week to cover average weekly mileage, and a 50kW charge was a C rate of 2.5. Now that we've busted through the once a week charge covers the average weekly and a 50kW charger is 0.8C we can fill the gaps for on-street parking by 50kW district hubs instead AC chargers at every lamppost.
    We could, if more hubs were available.

The remaining advantage for AC over DC is where you plug in for hours (ie workday, cinema etc).
    If you're shopping or out for a walk and that takes 1 hour, at 50kW that doesnt fill a lot of new EVs

Advertisement