Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options
1307308309310311313»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep chargeback the popup amount less any services that were provided. The 14eur service was not provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I can't see that working, top up by say €20 a few weeks ago get €14 taken in error and then try to claim the whole €20 back? Worth a try maybe but I couldn't see it happening.

It probably won't work but as someone with 15+ years in finance, chargebacks will annoy the merchant (ecars in this instance) with so many fees etc so worth doing even if you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have only ever instigated a chargeback (successfully) once, where Aer Lingus were the offending party and Bank of Ireland were my credit card provider. The first thing I would say is that the Bank will want to be satisfied that the steps that have been taken to resolve the matter have been reasonable and proportionate. The second aspect is that enough time has elapsed for the systems of the merchant to have processed the correct payment - I have seen Ionity take more than a month for example.

I don't work in the banking sector btw….just my very limited experience as a consumer and dealing with the Bank at the time.

• Advertisement

You have (usually) 45 days from the date of expected fulfilment to issue a chargeback. This varies significantly between different card brands, different issuers and different networks. If you have a premium Amex, there is no time limit!

You need to prove certain things, depending on the reason code category. In this instance you'd be filing under services not rendered. You therefore would need to show communication to the merchant and either the merchant refusing to remedy, or not responding. You do not need to wait for the merchant "to process the payment" that's not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

With regards to issuing chargebacks against ecars, it's possible that just the threat of a chargeback will be enough to change their mind

Also don't discount the small claims court. It will cost you a tenner but it's the principal of the matter at this point really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I did it with Ulster Bank once and I had to wait for the payment to complete before initiating the chargeback.

Sounds like you had an authorization rather than a payment. I literally deal with this on a daily basis and there isnt such a thing as waiting for a payment to "complete". Payments complete once they send from the issuing bank and are accepted in the receiving bank. 24 hours is more than enough.

Sounds like you were speaking to someone in UB who didnt know what they are talking about. Pretty common unfortunately, chargebacks (especially for quality of service or INR - item not received - as opposed to stolen financials or unauth) are not well known even in banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

It's rare but there are merchants who don't batch daily for some reason so you end up with a delay between authorisation and settlement. You can't start a dispute until the settlement record has been received. There are also times like bank holidays when settlement isn't processed by the issuer for several days after the authorisation.

• Advertisement

Yep, 24 business hours usually. Unless it's an authorization payment (referred to as a payment hold). I currently manage interchange and scheme optimization at a large tech co so I'm familiar enough with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Used the new chargers in the Crescent Shopping Centre Limerick for the first time yesterday. Only noticed that they went in last week and I live less than two miles from the place. Mighty job with 6 200k/w chargers and were badly needed on that side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you think 6 chargers are good just wait till you see that there's actually 8 of them there

Advertisement