Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

EV parking is free in any council car park in Waterford, charging or not... well it was up to and including last year. It has been renewed yearly (January) for the last few years. A quick call to the council offices will confirm if it's still available this year.

They told me when I phoned Waterford and Wexford parking was free only when charging and for a max of 3 hours, but they didn't sound too certain, they said local signage should state. Never seen any signs re EVs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it doesnt matter that much to me really as i have charging at home and really the only time ill charge outside of that is fast charging at ionity on a longer trip but what will be left as free ac charging options, just whatever private enterprises are offering? Like hotels, shops etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eagerv wrote: »
    They told me when I phoned Waterford and Wexford parking was free only when charging and for a max of 3 hours, but they didn't sound too certain, they said local signage should state. Never seen any signs re EVs.:)

Ask the local parking attendant. That's where I first heard about it, and they're the ones that would ticket a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ask the local parking attendant. That's where I first heard about it, and they're the ones that would ticket a car.

they would need to be aware of whats an ev and whats not :confused:

Cyrus wrote: »
    they would need to be aware of whats an ev and whats not :confused:

They seem to be.

• Advertisement

He told me no charge provided plugged in, but would ticket any car EV or otherwise if not plugged in as he doesn't know the difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

He told me no charge provided plugged in, but would ticket any car EV or otherwise if not plugged in as he doesn't know the difference..

So plug in but tell car not to draw any charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cyrus wrote: »
    it doesnt matter that much to me really as i have charging at home and really the only time ill charge outside of that is fast charging at ionity on a longer trip but what will be left as free ac charging options, just whatever private enterprises are offering? Like hotels, shops etc?
    Yes. The likes of some easygo AC chargers, all tesla destination chargers, other one offs at hotels and restaurants etc

This has the potential to do for AC what it did for DC. Free it up for those who need it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/roads-parking/parking.htm

mp3guy wrote: »
    So plug in but tell car not to draw any charge?
    You can see on the charger if power is being drawn.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well, there ya go. That clears it up. :D

Kinda. You might still get a ticket but win your appeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

22kW pricing

https://esb.ie/ecars/news/2020/2020/07/08/esb-ecars-introduce-pricing-on-the-standard-chargers-to-support-continued-ev-network-expansion?fbclid=IwAR263HsIJ7bixCLHoQ9KruoSsSJRgP-ze9FfX3b5LRhfBCqu42UKV8sBv08
    - Pay As You Go is charged at 26.8c per kWh

- Membership is a €4.60 monthly subscription fee and a reduced charge of 23c per kWh

JPA wrote: »
    Kinda. You might still get a ticket but win your appeal!

The parking attendant I spoke to - a youngish man - was well up on it and seemed to know visually what cars qualified. I suppose there are good and bad in every job though.

Well, there ya go. That clears it up. :D

It was actually Co Wexford that I was chatting to the attendant, now that I think of it, must look up their rules..

It was actually Co Wexford that I was chatting to the attendant, now that I think of it, must look up their rules..

I can tell you that one. Officially, parking free while charging up to a maximum of 3 hours.

Unofficially, once you're plugged in, the lads don't even look to see if you're actually charging. They will ticket a non EV in a charging spot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And their reason for bringing in charges is the first sentence of the announcement:

"To support further investment and its continued commitment to upgrading Ireland’s electric vehicle (EV) public charging network"

Further investment? Continued upgrading? :p

That's disingenious at best. The revenue from charging for AC charging won't be anything but a tiny fraction of the EUR10 million we gave the ESB years ago to install some very fast charging hubs. Don't know where the money has gone, but we haven't seen a single one of those yet...

Don't get me wrong here, the charging for (slow) charging was always going to happen. Might as well do it now rather than next year. More so to free up the resources for those who need it - mostly the people who can't charge at home or in work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    "To support further investment and its continued commitment to upgrading Ireland’s electric vehicle (EV) public charging network"

Would unkel.inc have invested in an onstreet charging network whilst the free network from eCars was available? Maybe now we'll see more commercial projects led by local authorities.

I'd say easygo will start charging for AC pretty soon.
    They actually have around 33% of the ecars volume of SCPs already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And their reason for bringing in charges is the first sentence of the announcement:

Further investment? Continued upgrading? :p

Every 3-4 years, the AC revenue should pay for another Super Duper Lightening Fast 150kW DC Charger...... which will only just replace a 50Kw DC unit.

I was looking around PlugShare this morning, and if ever a picture showed how little support the main routes get from ESB, it was this one, (This is half way between Dublin & Belfast).
    390499.jpg
    (granted the picture is 18 months old, but the site is still listed as having 1 unit only.

And here it is again from another angle...
    390502.jpg

I seriously hope one of the 50kWh units being removed for a 150kWh unit goes in above, and in locations similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    Would unkel.inc have invested in an onstreet charging network whilst the free network from eCars was available?

Tesla and Ionity invested heavily (and none or almost none of it from our tax payers money) in very fast networks while the tax payer funded ESB illegally and unfairly competed with them by providing free fast charging

That photo from Andybobandy above shows why people are mad if they are buying non Tesla EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd say easygo will start charging for AC pretty soon.
    They actually have around 33% of the ecars volume of SCPs already

AFAIK in the UK there are plenty of charging companies and for a lot of them you can pay a subscription (say, £8 a month) that gives you unlimited charging at their slow chargers which are all over the place.

i expect easygo will follow that model once they have enough chargers to support it and they seem to be expanding rapidly.

if there was a €10 fee a month for unlimited access to slow charging that would make much more sense - or if there were much lower night rates. With the amount of renewable electricity being generated, the wholesale cost for electricity at night must be basically 0.

not having a flat fee at a low rate or a extremely low night rate for slow charging is discriminatory against people without driveways.

The ESB are a joke when it comes to car charging planning and implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

That photo from Andybobandy above shows why people are mad if they are buying non Tesla EVs

totally agree! i used a supercharger for the first time last weekend and it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Bit of a weird statement, what are you suggesting? People in Ireland should only buy Teslas?

mp3guy wrote: »
    Bit of a weird statement, what are you suggesting? People in Ireland should only buy Teslas?
    What I'm suggesting is that the esb network is so far behind the infrastructure offered by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Is there an overstay fee for using the standard AC chargers?
    There is no overstay fee on AC standard chargers. However, we will continue to monitor this and may look to introduce an overstay fee in the future.

To the guy in the Nissan Leaf who started giving out to me at 4pm for leaving my BWM i3 charging in Park West since 10am.
    That is not my car, lol. Mine is the one beside it.

No overstay as it doesnt make sense for destination charging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tesla and Ionity invested heavily (and none or almost none of it from our tax payers money) in very fast networks while the tax payer funded ESB illegally and unfairly competed with them by providing free fast charging

There was nothing illegal about eCars not charging for charging, Ionity and Tesla are delivering a global network and aren't particularly interested in the economics of a particular charging location.

It's great to see EasyGo on the market and expanding, same as CircleK and Applegreen getting in on the game.

Advertisement