Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

zg3409 wrote: »
    First 150kW ESB charger is installed at Galway plaza and in use. Says 150kW CCS 70kW Chademo, no pricing listed on esb app unlike other 50kW charger. Must have gone in today. Photos on.plugshare app, already Chademo user hogging it ;)

The pic of it above shows that it has a slot for 3 cables but only has 2. It should really be configured as 2 CCS and 1 ChaDeMo.

But good to see it there all the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

KCross wrote: »
    The pic of it above shows that it has a slot for 3 cables but only has 2. It should really be configured as 2 CCS and 1 ChaDeMo.

They must have decided the cables were too short, so no point adding a 3rd plug to it and letting 3 cars get at least 50kWh each from the unit in busy periods...

If only cables were longer.. or you could set up a 3rd parking space behind or to the side of the unit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They must have decided the cables were too short, so no point adding a 3rd plug to it and letting 3 cars get at least 50kWh each from the unit in busy periods...

Im thinking that the 3rd cable should be added to allow 2 CCS users charge together, not that 3 cars can charge at the same time.

As time moves on there will be more CCS users than CHAdeMO users so having a 150kW unit that can charge 2 CCS users together makes more sense.... as it stands only 1 CCS user can use it.

You'd hope that down the line they could at least swap the Chademo head for a CCS, and leave the older 50kW unit as the sole Chademo plug.

2 CCS worth 75kWh each in parallel (or 150 solo)
    3rd CCS/Chademo worth up to 50kWh
    and the AC worth up to 43 for cars that can take it, or that are desperate for electrons.

You could almost call it a mini hub

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, I'm pretty annoyed that one of the two DCs that can be used in paralel is a chademo plug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..especially with a CHADeMo fast charger feet away.
    In fairness there are A LOT of Leaf's on the road.

Think the equal number of CCS to CHAdeMO is frustrating, imagine the frustrating to rock up in a Leaf to a 50kW and 70kW setup and seeing two Outlanders charging, it will happen!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

There are now a lot of leafs on the road. But in a year or two (even possibly now) the number of CCS users outweighs them.
    Chademo is obsolete, too slow, unsupported in EU, and is not expanding. Beyond the leaf and lexus, no current BEV comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

slave1 wrote: »

Think the equal number of CCS to CHAdeMO is frustrating, imagine the frustrating to rock up in a Leaf to a 50kW and 70kW setup and seeing two Outlanders charging, it will happen!

do people in phev really use these kinds of chargers

surely not.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For new sales last year it was just under 32% of cars had CHAdeMO, my guess is we're already at the point where CCS cars outnumber CHAdeMO and it's only going to go in one direction.
    Cyrus wrote: »

surely not.

There's a few people who will charge an Outlander on CHAdeMO whilst paying the same as they would for petrol. Honestly I don't get why they'd bother

surely not.
    I've seen the odd outlander but it's less common now with the paid for charging.

• Advertisement

surely not.

I saw a guy in Blanchardstown 2 weeks ago who plugged the AC43 into his plug in Mercedes, try twice to start a charge, fail, and then walked away leaving the car plugged in, but not charging, while occupying the space if anyone wanted to CCS/Chademo charge.

He didn't park in the AC22 bay as they were occupied by an E-Soul, and a Prius that had been plugged in there for 11 hours when I saw it.

surely not.

Pulled into the slow charger in Athlone earlier in the week and yes, an Outlander hooked up the the CHAdeMO fast charger, LOL (except not funny).
    Pulling a massive 3.XkW I'd imagine :rolleyes:

Pulled into the slow charger in Athlone earlier in the week and yes, an Outlander hooked up the the CHAdeMO fast charger, LOL (except not funny).
    Pulling a massive 3.XkW I'd imagine :rolleyes:
    Their stated max is 22kW, but in the real world their max draw is 17kW.

Wow, that much, genuinely surprised

Wow, that much, genuinely surprised
    That's their peak.
    It tapers off like the leaf, and still charges 0-80% in 25 odd minutes.
    It gets to the stage where you don't get 1 min of driving for 1 min of charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wouldn't surprise me if eCars tuned it so both cars only get 40kW, for the lolz

They have form - they broke the world record for the slowest brand new 2020 AC type 2 charge point at just 2kW :p

ELM327 wrote: »
    There are now a lot of leafs on the road. But in a year or two (even possibly now) the number of CCS users outweighs them.
    Chademo is obsolete, too slow, unsupported in EU, and is not expanding. Beyond the leaf and lexus, no current BEV comes with it.

Agreed, agreed, agreed but there is huge CHAdeMo penetration in the UK which is the nearest/most accessible country for us by car/ferry.
    Not that I'd take a Leaf there mind, so maybe a mute point

Is it only Nissan & Mitsubishi that use Chademo? (or all Japanese?), and do they ever have plans to go to CCS in Europe? (or will regulations force them too?)

Agreed, agreed, agreed but there is huge CHAdeMo penetration in the UK which is the nearest/most accessible country for us by car/ferry.
    Not that I'd take a Leaf there mind, so maybe a mute point
    Yeah, I wouldnt take a non Tesla CCS car to the UK right now. Their network is worse than ours. Led by crap from Electric Highway and their 30kW CCS

Is it only Nissan & Mitsubishi that use Chademo? (or all Japanese?), and do they ever have plans to go to CCS in Europe? (or will regulations force them too?)
    It's all japanese and it's unlikely they will be forced to by regulation to change.

Is it only Nissan & Mitsubishi that use Chademo? (or all Japanese?)

The only BEV for sale in the last few years in Europe that has CHAdeMO charging is the Nissan Leaf. They should really cop onto themselves and move to CCS. Even Tesla has and their system was of equal standing as CCS, not far inferior like CHAdeMO

• Advertisement

..or an after purchase/market adaptor...
    Early Tesla's still can get retro fit/adapter for both CCS and CHAdeMO so still the only BEV out there that can charge off basically every connection.
    All that in a 2014 car!

unkel wrote: »
    The only BEV for sale in the last few years in Europe that has CHAdeMO charging is the Nissan Leaf. They should really cop onto themselves and move to CCS. Even Tesla has and their system was of equal standing as CCS, not far inferior like CHAdeMO

I thought to myself it's probably going to be based on the fact there are more CCS in the States than CHAdeMO but looking it up they are neck to neck for both in the US.
    Tesla now have more superchargers in the US than either CCS or CHAdeMO so that must be a recent milestone

I thought to myself it's probably going to be based on the fact there are more CCS in the States than CHAdeMO but looking it up they are neck to neck for both in the US.
    Tesla now have more superchargers in the US than either CCS or CHAdeMO so that must be a recent milestone
    The US they need more superchargers as the ionity equivalent (Electrify america) cant be used by Teslas. (NA Tesla do not have CCS option)

(NA Tesla do not have CCS option)

Which is fair enough. And I don't give a rats about what Nissan do in Japan either. Here in Europe everyone (read: Nissan) needs to setup for the European standard though pronto. CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

BMW supply Chademo enabled I3's to the Japanese home market, even the ioniq
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO

A lot of Nissan garages installed chademo, kinda hard to tell them spend more on CCS now.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

kanuseeme wrote: »
    A lot of Nissan garages installed chademo, kinda hard to tell them spend more on CCS now.

"Some" Nissan garages installed a single CHAdeMO charger, most of them a good few years ago, so when they come up for replacement in the next couple of years they could put in dual-head for very little extra cost (given how few there are in the scheme of things).

I just bought another Leaf, but the lack of CCS would absolutely have had me choosing a different car if there was one available I wanted, which there surely will be soon with so many new EVs arriving. Hopefully Nissan will realise sales are being affected.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah, I wouldnt take a non Tesla CCS car to the UK right now. Their network is worse than ours. Led by crap from Electric Highway and their 30kW CCS

There is a huge network of CCS chargers around the UK, here's Zap-Map filtered to exclude Electricity Highway which I agree is crap.

491X1Cw.png

..and charging pretty much free still in Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I was at the dealership collecting my granny charger today. I was chatting to the sales manager. As a large Nissan dealer, they had no new Leaf for delivery this (202) registration period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

150kW ESB charger installed at services at kilcullen, Co kildare and up and running. Free to use for the next few weeks like the one at Galway Plaza.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false

Advertisement