Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

obi604 wrote: »
    I’m obviously Missing Something. The car is reversed in at an angle. What can’t it just reverse in straight and there would not be such a pull on the cable

Or move over to the right a bit.

I think it's a feature of teslas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’m obviously Missing Something. The car is reversed in at an angle. What can’t it just reverse in straight and there would not be such a pull on the cable

He was trying his best to stay out of the boxes, if that was me I’d have no choice but to fully occupy the box on the right hand side in the picture

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭obi604

slave1 wrote: »
    He was trying his best to stay out of the boxes, if that was me I’d have no choice but to fully occupy the box on the right hand side in the picture

Right. What’s the story with the parking spot to the right of the One he is in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Right. What’s the story with the parking spot to the right of the One he is in?

I think a Model S was there at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

These charge points typically have two spaces. If you can park in the one on the right, you’re golden because the charge point is right beside your charge port. If only the left one is free, the cable isn’t long enough to reach across the back of the car and around to the charge port on the side so you have to park on top of the car in the right space or as an angle (as shown).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

markpb wrote: »
    These charge points typically have two spaces. If you can park in the one on the right, you’re golden because the charge point is right beside your charge port. If only the left one is free, the cable isn’t long enough to reach across the back of the car and around to the charge port on the side so you have to park on top of the car in the right space or as an angle (as shown).

Spoken like a man who has experience of same ;).

It's just like this, as someone (:cool:) posted previously, with their Ioniq's rear passenger sided charge port.

V7v29Zz.jpg

As said, there was a Model S in the left space when the Model 3 arrived.

Anyway, it shouldn't still be like this, almost 10 years since they first installed chargers, it really shouldn't :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭obi604

Kramer wrote: »
    Spoken like a man who has experience of same ;).

It's just like this, as someone (:cool:) posted previously, with their Ioniq's rear passenger sided charge port.

V7v29Zz.jpg

As said, there was a Model S in the left space when the Model 3 arrived.

Anyway, it shouldn't still be like this, almost 10 years since they first installed chargers, it really shouldn't :(.

F3ck me, that is fairly bl00dy basic. Was trying to figure out why all the fuss, but that design is plain and utter stupid.

Spend 1000s installing something and they don’t have a long enough cable to comfortably charge 2 cars.

We don't know which car got their first but as Leaf/Tesla driver I would 100% be taking the RHS parking spot if both free and I was in the Leaf, this will allow the Tesla/Ioniqs of the world to gain proper access.
    As mentioned before it's simply a case of cables too short but providers bitten by having to replace them due to car's reversing over them etc.
    It just fooking stupid, 2020 and they can't get the most basic things right, a real example of someone in an office somewhere coming up with a "solution"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like those FCP's were designed/bought/installed on the basis that every EV would follow the Leaf and have it's charge port front & centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi
    Not my photo just came across it today on another forum said I’d throw it out there.
    That's outside of spec and does not match the Bjorn video where he tested on a hpc with a chademo plug.

>62.5kW is not possible on standard chademo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

We don't know which car got their first but as Leaf/Tesla driver I would 100% be taking the RHS parking spot if both free and I was in the Leaf, this will allow the Tesla/Ioniqs of the world to gain proper access.
    As mentioned before it's simply a case of cables too short but providers bitten by having to replace them due to car's reversing over them etc.
    It just fooking stupid, 2020 and they can't get the most basic things right, a real example of someone in an office somewhere coming up with a "solution"

Soon you'll be pissing off ID3 drivers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's outside of spec and does not match the Bjorn video where he tested on a hpc with a chademo plug.

>62.5kW is not possible on standard chademo.

Isn’t it 100kW capable though?
    Maybe Bjorns vid was on a HPC that only had 50kW CHAdeMO.

KCross wrote: »
    Isn’t it 100kW capable though?
    Maybe Bjorns vid was on a HPC that only had 50kW CHAdeMO.
    He got 62.5kW

It's 100kW capable the same way the Ioniq and Kona are.

Looks like those FCP's were designed/bought/installed on the basis that every EV would follow the Leaf and have it's charge port front & centre.
    Yes
    I generally pick one of the spots (whichever is easiest for me to reach) and park there.
    If you pick one side to avoid offence you'd piss off someone else/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

150kW charger in kilcullen down just now according to Facebook and reported to esb. Gives a high temperature error and fails again after 20 seconds on CCS.
    One step forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Same as last Tuesday in Park West, a BMW i3 still charging as of 18:46pm since 08:40am

How long does it take to charge a BMW i3?
    The sooner that overstay charge comes in the better.
    Doesn't help the other charger wasnt working today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Is there a way of reporting gocars in Dublin to ecars? There's a Renault Zoe been plugged in at st Patrick's cathedral since Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

moggins7 wrote: »
    Is there a way of reporting gocars in Dublin to ecars? There's a Renault Zoe been plugged in at st Patrick's cathedral since Sunday night.

OK you win. I reported it via the app, you can also call them 01 258 3799.

I presume your one is C7952 on Golden Lane, Dublin 8, charging since 20:46 , I presume Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

moggins7 wrote: »

What can Ecars do? Report gocar user violation to gocar themselves. Only they can move the car. Note they tell the drivers to charge when low...

I can move any gocar myself for free, as I have an account. You should get one too as it takes a couple of days to set up. Its getting a bit off topic, but there is no overstay fee and gocar have free parking in Dublin. I presume the user is finished with the car and its battery was low at time of parking. Gocar should get their own chargers or if they are based on the same street as an esb charger then they should be officially given one side of the charger and pay handsomely for it.

So (and this is the bone of contention) went to AC charge last night, (checked the eCars App beforehand) but dual head AC #1 out of action, could not get connection working, stalled on "Insert Plug", helpline no good and this is a newer model. Off to dual head #2 (original model) and looked fine but as soon as I hooked up it went "blocked" and out of action, again phoned the helpline (good thing I know the number as the number displayed on the chargepoint is "not recognised"), went through him rebooting the charger and back to permanent cycle of both sides "blocked".
    Thankfully dual head #3 was working.
    Checked the eCars app this morning before making this post and both the broken ones are marked as working, I suppose there's a chance they are working again but my points are...

Chargepoints remain unreliable as does the eCars App
    They expect us to pay for this sh1te
    I have zero expectations there will be any improvement once paying comes in

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    What can Ecars do? Report gocar user violation to gocar themselves. Only they can move the car. Note they tell the drivers to charge when low...

I can move any gocar myself for free, as I have an account. You should get one too as it takes a couple of days to set up. Its getting a bit off topic, but there is no overstay fee and gocar have free parking in Dublin. I presume the user is finished with the car and its battery was low at time of parking. Gocar should get their own chargers or if they are based on the same street as an esb charger then they should be officially given one side of the charger and pay handsomely for it.
    I refuse to do this, I will not support their business model. They should fund their own chargers.

Call the clampers. DCC do clamp them.

Seems Bolton Street car park in Waterford is getting an "upgrade" to a 44kW charge point. (2-6kW AC)

zg3409 you spotted on plugshare that the current charger is gone, but ecars map says there's a 44kW charge point unavailable at the moment there.

Similar story with Gordon place Car park in Clonmel. Latest report was it's a type2, Ecars says a 44kW DC is unavailable at the moment.

So (and this is the bone of contention) went to AC charge last night, (checked the eCars App beforehand) but dual head AC #1 out of action, could not get connection working, stalled on "Insert Plug", helpline no good and this is a newer model. Off to dual head #2 (original model) and looked fine but as soon as I hooked up it went "blocked" and out of action, again phoned the helpline (good thing I know the number as the number displayed on the chargepoint is "not recognised"), went through him rebooting the charger and back to permanent cycle of both sides "blocked".
    Thankfully dual head #3 was working.
    Checked the eCars app this morning before making this post and both the broken ones are marked as working, I suppose there's a chance they are working again but my points are...

Chargepoints remain unreliable as does the eCars App
    They expect us to pay for this sh1te
    I have zero expectations there will be any improvement once paying comes in
    Nah, you only pay when they work, which pays for the customer service team too, who are pretty limited in what they can do. Usually nothing.

So of the 6 ports (??) you tried, 2 were working (1 you used, you obviously didn't try the 2nd port on #3 when you started charging). Let us do the maths... yep, 96% uptime! I don't see the problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Seems Bolton Street car park in Waterford is getting an "upgrade" to a 44kW charge point. (2-6kW AC)

zg3409 you spotted on plugshare that the current charger is gone, but ecars map says there's a 44kW charge point unavailable at the moment there.

Similar story with Gordon place Car park in Clonmel. Latest report was it's a type2, Ecars says a 44kW DC is unavailable at the moment.

Great to see more of these upgrades personal insults to unkel ;), being rolled out by eCars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    Great to see more of these upgrades personal insults to unkel ;), being rolled out by eCars.

Maybe we should inform some foreign press that we are getting brand new 2kW AC chargers installed paid for by tax payers money. They'll have a field day about how backwards Ireland still is :p

Personally I don't care as I will never use any of these chargers. But these chargers are clearly not progress and a complete waste of tax payers money. Wish they had a little bit more vision in the ESB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If we do a gofundme for your CCS upgrade will you stop moaning because you can now use the CCS charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If we do a gofundme for your CCS upgrade will you stop moaning because you can now use the CCS charger?

Or you could just forgo a couple of Sunday lunches :p

I've mixed feelings about them.

On the up side. It's great to have more faster chargers around the country, and hopefully ESB are putting these were their data tells them slow chargers are not required.

On the down side. They're slower than the old 50kW fast chargers installed years ago, and the AC is pretty much pointless (unless you park there alllllllllll day).

Good to see they're removing those old old AC chargers anyways. I had nothing be grief from them
    I see zg3409 has already updated plugshare to say it is/will be a 43kW unit. The man is quick

Or you could just forgo a couple of Sunday lunches :p
    You'd buy a chademo adapter for that €240.
    I'd sell mine for that.

• Advertisement

I've mixed feelings about them.

We had to do a run to Cavan the other week (the nearest Argos with the product we were looking for). It's a roughly 210km return, I didn't fancy pushing the Ioniq to go that far and get home on Turtle mode. Instead I did my normal motorway speeds and did a 15 minute charge on the new charger in Kells. We'd tried Cavan but CCS wasn't working.

6 months ago, I'd of been charging in Navan on the way up and then again on the way down giving me a single point failure, it was great to know I had multiple options.

Advertisement