Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They should at least make those 2kWh AC ones free, or even just 10c per kWh..

Leave some sort of incentive out there, however slow it is..

This is the combo they should have in train stations,

2kWh for the all day chargers who’ll get enough juice to get them back home that night and back to the station the following day.

Then the 44kWh for anyone who needs a ‘fast’ top up before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    If we do a gofundme for your CCS upgrade will you stop moaning because you can now use the CCS charger?

Very kind of you, but I don't need CCS / CHAdeMO charging ;)

Planning to take the car on continental trips, supercharger network has more than enough cover. And any trip in Ireland I can make it pretty much anywhere from Dublin without having to charge. Except for Kerry, but I would be able to do a quick topup at the supercharger in Birdhill and west Cork (supercharger in Ballacolla)

It is not for me that I need those fast charging hubs. It is for other people, who currently would not change to EVs. I wish people would get my motivation right on this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

but it instantly turns the Kells 6kW AC charging into a 44kW charger for you! Now we're up to 2015 infrastructure instead of 2010.
    We all get the need for the hubs, the AC DC upgrade programme and the hubs aren't mutually exclusive, you of all people should know how handy it is to have a nearby fast charger, it can make busy days around the city much easier to handle.

Even since fees was introduced, a few times wifey has had to do a quick top up at Dublin Port on the way home from work (her own fault for forgetting to plug in at home)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

(her own fault for forgetting to plug in at home)

give you are still with us i assume this is the only place that has ever been uttered :pac::D

We all get the need for the hubs, the AC DC upgrade programme and the hubs aren't mutually exclusive

It looks like the ESB is mainly concentrating on these Mickey Mouse local chargers. We haven't got a single hub yet. So yes, they do seem mutually exclusive
    how handy it is to have a nearby fast charger, it can make busy days around the city much easier to handle.

Even since fees was introduced, a few times wifey has had to do a quick top up at Dublin Port on the way home from work (her own fault for forgetting to plug in at home)

With respect, should the ESB really use our tax payers money so the occasional EV owner who forgot to charge at home can be catered for? Or should we use ALL of the money available exclusively and with priority to install fast charging hubs so more people can get rid of their diesels and move to EVs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    With respect, should the ESB really use our tax payers money so the occasional EV owner who forgot to charge at home can be catered for? Or should we use ALL of the money available exclusively and with priority to install fast charging hubs so more people can get rid of their diesels and move to EVs?

Yes, because having a fast charger in the local area is just as much of an enabler for EV purchasers as having them solely in motorway hubs. It's just a different scenario that needs infrastructure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nah, you only pay when they work, which pays for the customer service team too, who are pretty limited in what they can do. Usually nothing.

So of the 6 ports (??) you tried, 2 were working (1 you used, you obviously didn't try the 2nd port on #3 when you started charging). Let us do the maths... yep, 96% uptime! I don't see the problem.

LOL, tried 5 ports, only 5th port worked so that's 20% but I get your sarcasm.
    Paying for not just electrons but to have to feckin things working, obviously not paying now but after August 8th things will be no different

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes, because having a fast charger in the local area is just as much of an enabler for EV purchasers as having them solely in motorway hubs. It's just a different scenario that needs infrastructure.

I don't disagree with that, but we already have a nationwide network of low-medium speed "fast chargers". Getting a few more of them is not a priority

We need just a handful of 6-8 stall hubs on strategic locations and we need that urgently. It's a disgrace that someone in a small battery EV can not make the trip between say Dublin and Cork while being confident they will be able to charge on a working public charger without having to wait for an hour. If the ESB can't or won't do anyting about that, they should hand over their network (and the tax payers money we gave them) to a party that can and will. Think I might try and contact the new minister for Transport on this. A very serious matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

slave1 wrote: »
    LOL, tried 5 ports, only 5th port worked so that's 20% but I get your sarcasm.
    Paying for not just electrons but to have to feckin things working, obviously not paying now but after August 8th things will be no different

Hopefully the profit motive will sort out service and repair issues.

M1 Lusk services North and South were broken a few days after payment commenced last year. Several very angry calls from myself and a Leaf driver and it did get fixed soon after.

unkel wrote: »
    I don't disagree with that, but we already have a nationwide network of low-medium speed "fast chargers". Getting a few more of them is not a priority

With some very noticeable dark spots that are now being filled in with these 44kW models. I agree with writing to the minister of transport. I think we all should, action is critically needed on the hubs!

• Advertisement

I agree with writing to the minister of transport. I think we all should, action is critically needed on the hubs!

If someone could provide the most likely email/postal address to use in order to reach the minister, I'd happily also write to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If someone could provide the most likely email/postal address to use in order to reach the minister, I'd happily also write to him.

minister@dttas.gov.ie

eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie

should still work

There's also the contact page on his personal website

Linky

With links to the usual social media accounts. He seems reasonably active on twitter, with his last (re)tweet from only a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So wheres the best place for these hubs you speak of?

And every house gets its own driveway charger if they have driveways?

eddhorse wrote: »
    So wheres the best place for these hubs you speak of?

Service stations on Motorways.

About 10 * 8 stall hubs strategically placed on (existing) service stations on main motorways / national roads for starters. This should cost not much more (maybe even less) than the 10 million of tax payers money we have already paid to the ESB ring fenced just for this (super hubs)

eddhorse wrote: »
    And every house gets its own driveway charger if they have driveways?

They did, that incentive was in place a few years back, home charge point installed completely free of charge.
    They replaced it with the €600 grant last year or two

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

We had to do a run to Cavan the other week (the nearest Argos with the product we were looking for). It's a roughly 210km return, I didn't fancy pushing the Ioniq to go that far and get home on Turtle mode. Instead I did my normal motorway speeds and did a 15 minute charge on the new charger in Kells. We'd tried Cavan but CCS wasn't working.

6 months ago, I'd of been charging in Navan on the way up and then again on the way down giving me a single point failure, it was great to know I had multiple options.

Yup, that's the positive side of these upgrades... unless you drive a Zoe or model S.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, that's the positive side of these upgrades... unless you drive a Zoe or model S.
    I drive a model S and can charge at 44kW there as opposed to 12kW before on AC.

They replaced it with the €600 grant last year or two

...and then the price for installation increased by anything from 0 to €600 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    I drive a model S and can charge at 44kW there as opposed to 12kW before on AC.

You're clearly not who i'm referring to so. :cool:

Was it all Model S and X's can do the CCS upgrade or buy a CHAdeMO adapter?

Yes, available for all S and X

Yep. Tesla Ireland will do a CCS conversion on any Model S or Model X for €500. They no longer sell CHAdeMO adapters as the CCS conversion has made them obsolete but you can buy them used on eBay UK occasionally for around the €300 mark

But both are obviously a waste of money if you never need to use them :p

CHAdeMO adapter currently available to purchase on Tesla Ireland website, €360.
    Will work on all S and X, not on the 3 though

And while half my brain agrees with you Unkel that they are obsolete, they are also not obsolete when you can use one to hop onto the new eCars 150 chargers when the CCS in use, otherwise you cannot charge ... .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

And while half my brain agrees with you Unkel that they are obsolete, they are also not obsolete when you can use one to hop onto the new eCars 150 chargers when the CCS in use, otherwise you cannot charge ... .. .

You can also use them to get an extra foot or two of length out of the cable, which is pretty important on certain chargers...

and I thought it was just the extra inches that matter...joking aside, sad but true.
    I did look online for a straight CCS extender but could not find any

and I thought it was just the extra inches that matter...joking aside, sad but true.
    I did look online for a straight CCS extender but could not find any
    Alibaba etc generally have them

• Advertisement

CHAdeMO adapter currently available to purchase on Tesla Ireland website, €360.
    Will work on all S and X, not on the 3 though

That's not a bad price. Second hand on eBay they go for nearly the same. So in fact if your presume you can say €260 for it second hand in a year or two (big if?), then it's costing you only €100

Advertisement