Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Big market for these in the UK especially Scotland where they are impregnated with free CHAdeMO rapids.
    I wouldn't get one though, I currently have Tesla, all type 2s, CCS, TMC for 3 pin and 32amp Commando, have to call a halt somewhere

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Big market for these in the UK especially Scotland where they are impregnated with free CHAdeMO rapids.
    I wouldn't get one though, I currently have Tesla, all type 2s, CCS, TMC for 3 pin and 32amp Commando, have to call a halt somewhere

ELM327 is the undisputed boss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ELM327 wrote: »
    I refuse to do this, I will not support their business model. They should fund their own chargers.

Call the clampers. DCC do clamp them.

They don't actually pay the fines though do they? I thought they just appeal them based on their right to free parking.

Also this is another reason why an overstay fee is needed on AC. Go-cars have regularly left cars in place for days unless someone moans about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

All Zoes and Leafs are based in the near vicinity of a AC charging point. Konas seem gone from the map. I don't blame a business for trying to maximize their profits. It's probably a cunning approach but still. I blame the authorities to let them do it. It would be interesting to see the agreement of Gocar with DCC/Fingal/.. etc and how much they pay yearly for each car, when I as a business can't apply for a discounted street parking rate in front of my office.
    I think the business model is nice, I use them for van rental if I need to move something large, is good for young drivers or even to try a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

DrPhilG wrote: »
    They don't actually pay the fines though do they? I thought they just appeal them based on their right to free parking.

Also this is another reason why an overstay fee is needed on AC. Go-cars have regularly left cars in place for days unless someone moans about it.

I have seen gocars clamped. They pass on the fee to the previous driver who did not park legally.

Parking in an Ecars spot in Dublin city is perfectly legal for a go car and they can stay there forever. There is no overstay fee planned from ESB and they can park in any parking spot of Dublin city forever.

If they were banned from Ecars spots they would probably just go to all ICE.

Others talked of campaigns to try stop them hogging the limited resource.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's outside of spec and does not match the Bjorn video where he tested on a hpc with a chademo plug.

>62.5kW is not possible on standard chademo.

He got 62.5kW

It's 100kW capable the same way the Ioniq and Kona are.

He posted a vid yesterday and it pulled 200A(72kW) which was the max that charger could give so it goes above 62kW alright if using the upgraded Chademo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    He posted a vid yesterday and it pulled 200A(72kW) which was the max that charger could give so it goes above 62kW alright if using the upgraded Chademo.
    I saw the same video and he explained it was the Chademo spec 2. Very few of the public chargers outside of Japan have this. Even the HPCs that have 300a for CCS are limited to ~125a-~135a for chademo as they use the first spec.

Spec 1 goes to 62.5kW.

Spec 2 goes to 400a, but (and you know this as you reference the same video I watched) most chargers in the wild that even have chademo spec 2, are limited to 200a.

As chademo is now circling the drain following the ariya announcement, I don't think there will be any further chademo v2 installs here, rendering that capability of the leaf to charge >62kW as useless in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I don't think there will be any further chademo v2 installs here

I think you're underestimating eCars.

Still baffled why there is no CCS to CHAdeMO adapter in the works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

mp3guy wrote: »

I don't think anyone here underestimates eCars.........incompetence :D.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    They havent installed any yet.
    The HPCs have v1 chademo (max 62.5kW)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I saw the same video and he explained it was the Chademo spec 2. Very few of the public chargers outside of Japan have this. Even the HPCs that have 300a for CCS are limited to ~125a-~135a for chademo as they use the first spec.

Spec 1 goes to 62.5kW.

Spec 2 goes to 400a, but (and you know this as you reference the same video I watched) most chargers in the wild that even have chademo spec 2, are limited to 200a.

As chademo is now circling the drain following the ariya announcement, I don't think there will be any further chademo v2 installs here, rendering that capability of the leaf to charge >62kW as useless in the real world.

No arguments there. I was just pointing out that it can go above 62kW (as per JPA's post) if the charger is capable. You had said he was wrong... thats all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114015600&postcount=1228

KCross wrote: »
    No arguments there. I was just pointing out that it can go above 62kW (as per JPA's post) if the charger is capable. You had said he was wrong... thats all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114015600&postcount=1228
    Yes, clearly I was wrong, I wasnt aware anyone would be silly enough to bother installing chademo V2 :P:P:D:D

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems Bolton Street car park in Waterford is getting an "upgrade" to a 44kW charge point. (2-6kW AC)

Map says it's live now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

From the looks of Bjorn's video the CHAdeMO V1+ charger at 135A is the same 150kW unit as the one eCars are using here, so that would give a slight benefit for Leaf 60 users.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ha! So now we know the director of ESB ecars drives a Leaf 62 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

zg3409 wrote: »
    I have seen gocars clamped. They pass on the fee to the previous driver who did not park legally.

I've seen them clamped while in a charging spot though, so not actually illegally parked. And in that situation the driver did nothing wrong, since go-cars claim that they move the cars when charging is complete.

zg3409 wrote: »

Parking in an Ecars spot in Dublin city is perfectly legal for a go car and they can stay there forever. There is no overstay fee planned from ESB and they can park in any parking spot of Dublin city forever.

If they were banned from Ecars spots they would probably just go to all ICE.

Others talked of campaigns to try stop them hogging the limited resource.

But the previous owner probably parked legally, as the car was plugged in and charging when they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Map says it's live now.

Both Waterford and clonmel 44kW DC chargers live, on app, and photos on esb facebook.

It nice a big city like Waterford has now 2 40kW+ chargers besides Audi's only me charger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's great having a 'fast' DC charger in a city carpark.

Especially when that DC charger has a 45 minute usage limit on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Agree it's a really good improvement, means I can now stop off there and give a good boost to my car before going about my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its worse than that again Jim, traffic is very slow near that charger, and its going to be awkward to charge some cars because of the angle the cars are parked at.

At least there is no picnic table or a strange garage owner around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Its worse than that again Jim, traffic is very slow near that charger, and its going to be awkward to charge some cars because of the angle the cars are parked at.

At least there is no picnic table or a strange garage owner around it.

Lol ... that is so true. I know exactly who/where you are talking about. “Strange” sums it up so well. Ha ha.

In other countries there's a lot of these small DC units going in around car parks like this, they are basically a district DC charger.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wonder how Ecars would treat a car which charges for ~40 minutes, the user remotely stops the charge, and the car has the ability to release the charging cable when complete. Don't think the unit would be aware it's still connected (and thus overstaying).
    It would be inconsiderate, and block up the parking space, but perhaps there's a reason car parks have slow chargers and not DC ones. I can see people doing this btw, similar to how some have mentioned limiting their AC charge rate to get cheaper parking while trickle charging.

I know there is talk about a premium for the 150kW chargers, it's going to be annoying paying the extra if someone connects on the other side and halfs your charging speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

IMO when they update a charger in a car park like that, they should add 2 or 3 AC points. AC in a car park means you can walk away for 2 or 3 hours whereas with DC you have to move it.

It's all about the electricity supply, they can replace the AC unit with the DC Lite unit.

If you want AC units in council car parks, contact your council. There is funding for them under the climate action fund. Fingal county council have installed a few of the lampost AC chargers.

Car park is a car park, you park your car and leave. End of.
    DC charger you stay, or perhaps quick dip somewhere for coffee etc.

DC chargers in car parks just wrong wrong wrong, AC for car parks.

Great to see DC chargers but wrong location and not at the expense of removing AC chargers.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Car park is a car park, you park your car and leave. End of.
    DC charger you stay, or perhaps quick dip somewhere for coffee etc.

DC chargers in car parks just wrong wrong wrong, AC for car parks.

Great to see DC chargers but wrong location and not at the expense of removing AC chargers.

Your opinion does not match the experience of other European countries, why do we need to be treated and act differently

Advertisement